• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it acceptable that MS is releasing the Xbox Series S/X without a big AAA first party exclusive? Does it set a bad precedent for the industry? Poll!

Is it unacceptable to release a console without a big AAA first party exclusive? Wrong precedent?

• Total voters
People have their reasons for buying and supporting their favorite consoles, but imo it just feels wrong not having a major exclusive first party game at the launch of a new console. I know they were relying on Halo, but it’s still quite disappointing.

Also, still not seeing a few high profile games running off the XSX to my knowledge is perplexing especially when we are around a month away from release. The backwards compatibility is a good feature, but definitely not a good substitute for seeing actual next generation games.

Dodkrake

Banned
Well this in relation to me is quiet wrong, I'm a Microsoft fan and consumer 1st - I want Microsoft to continue giving us direct answers AS THEY HAVE BEEN DOING FOR THE PAST DECADE WITH GAMES LIKE FORZA

for the rest of the narrative Sony has attempted to steal away from Microsoft, that narrative being "We make better 3rd person games than you who came out with Gears of War a decade ago now"

So you categorically incorrectly label me a Sony gamer and I am anything but.

I have never once owned a Sony Console.

Have you?

Now with that out of the way, Again - Microsoft has shown it is no stranger to EXCEEDING SONY with better titles as it has done so with Forza, look's to do with Hellblade 2 - want's to do with Everwild as a type of direct answer to Zelda / Breath of The Wilds art style.

I hope Microsoft will continue this trend

By offering better games that match/EXCEED Kratos and TLOU... which would be the long waited reply needed ever since Sony decided to try and take back the 3rd person story driven narrative.

Which also happen to unabashedly be Sony's attempt's/Direct answers to sitting back for nearly an entire Console cycle and then finally saying "Damn we really need to come out with games to compete directly with Gears of War"... then Enter TLOU with Multiplayer, and Kratos with a meaningful narrative driven story.

You mistake the need for MORE competitive titles in this arena.... direct answers - which I've PROVED Microsoft is no stranger to - for some random secret sony guy asking for clones that actually don't exceed/don't improve what the competition have on offer... or in actuality make 2 generational leaps as the original Gears Of War made when released.

You also incorrectly somehow view this as a bad thing.

You are categorically wrong in your assertion about me and wrong about Microsoft needing to exceed the competition in these Arenas while still giving us just as many FPS/ FP RPG/ FP Games along with Gears of war and Ori.

kuncol02

Banned
What about gears tactics
It's super easy.
1. It's on PC so it doesn't count
2. It's turn based strategy so it doesn't count
3. It's gears game so it doesn't count
4. It's MS game so it doesn't count
5. It's on gamepass so it doesn't count
6. It's not AAA because only games that can be AAA are cinematic story driven TPS games.

I hope that answers all your questions.

Compsiox

Banned
People are thinking too hard about this. If you don't want the games don't buy the console. It's not setting any precedent. They thought they were launching with Halo Infinite but it's too late to turn back now.

Sony and Nintendo won't take anything away from this. There are other factors like gamepass, multigenerational backwards compatibility, third party AAA games, and more. It would be hard to takeaway from any success that it's fine to launch without any first party AAA titles.

Last edited:
People are thinking too hard about this. If you don't want the games don't buy the console. It's not setting any precedent. They thought they were launching with Halo Infinite but it's too late to turn back now.

Sony and Nintendo won't take anything away from this. There are other factors like gamepass, multigenerational backwards compatibility, third party AAA games, and more. It would be hard to takeaway from any success that it's fine to launch without any first party AAA titles.

The "success" is that it's OK to launch without them and acceptable - coast in effect. I would feel pretty low on the hobby if console manufacturers stopped treating next-gen console launches like a big industry wide event with software to match and mark the occassion. People talk about arrogant Sony as meme.... but something like this would qualify as such at least to me. Didn't grow up on that alternate world. Maybe for my grandkids... I don't care for them after I'm long dead and cremated.

Last edited:

Compsiox

Banned
The "success" is that it's OK to launch without them and acceptable. I would feel pretty low on the hobby if console manufacturers stop treating next-gen console launches like a big industry wide event with software to match. Didn't grow up on that alternate world. Maybe for my grandkids... I don't care for them after I'm long dead and cremated.
Thats what I meant by success. Thanks. My point stands. They'd take away nothing from this.

Last edited:
As someone who has X1 and Gamepass right now I really don't see any reason to be excited about upgrading to XSX. Show me crazy amazing new games and I'll get pumped, but right now I'm fine with what I have.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I'd say it's disappointing for sure. It's always nice to have an exclusive showcase piece for your new piece of tech. Luckily the blow for me is softened by the fact that Cyberpunk 2077 is coming out a week later, and that's easily my most anticipated game in years so it's what I'd be playing the majority of the time anyway.

Last edited:

FrankWza

In all fairness, launches are usually not great in general and hardly ever show a systems strengths until a year later. It’s just bad luck that Sony has both of those working for this launch day and window with DeS, MM and R&C. The halo thing hurt. It wouldn’t look as skewed if they had it at launch

I'd say it's disappointing for sure. It's always nice to have an exclusive showcase piece for your new piece of tech. Luckily the blow for me is softened by the fact that Cyberpunk 2077 is coming out a week later, and that's easily my most anticipated game in years so it's what I'd be playing the majority of the time anyway.

If the game doesn't pan out.... back to playing PS5?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
As someone who has X1 and Gamepass right now I really don't see any reason to be excited about upgrading to XSX. Show me crazy amazing new games and I'll get pumped, but right now I'm fine with what I have.

Maybe by 2021 Halo will be in a better form than what's shown previously, so it can be the first good AAA first party.

Arian71

Banned
Microsoft should be ashamed, is not acceptable at all, retire the new console, sell again the Zenimax and other studios.
Is better for the industry to have only one console
How dare Microsoft didnt release a big aaaaaaa fist party game , shame on you

Tschumi

Balanced poll means legit question.

I think this will be an exception that Microsoft themselves will abandon for their next console.

Warablo

Its not ideal, but they just barely started production and studio actuation's after not being in the video game making business a whole gen.

Tschumi

Maybe by 2021 Halo will be in a better form than what's shown previously, so it can be the first good AAA first party.
I wrote about this in another, satirical post.. but i think, after seeing the other attempts by xbox companies to have 4k60, that halo infinite was probably far and away the best looking 4k60 game at the time of its reveal :p I'm not trying to flame, i just honestly think 4k60 is beyond the XSX with current engines etc. I actually think it'll take a huge smoke and mirrors trick for them to make it look any better for the new release date without reducing it to 1440.

I predict they'll do a lot to reduce draw distance, for one.

Daymos

That's pretty judgmental getting to decide whether something a company does is 'acceptable' or not. What are you going to do if it's unacceptable?! Go on a hunger strike or something?

Now I'm sure you want to claim that I'm a fanboy or something, but truth is I'm not buying an xbox since there's no games coming for it that I want to play right now.

Ya gotta be more of a 'han solo' in life, swear loyalty to nothing and take the advantages where they appear. Forget about right and wrong (there is no such thing), there's alot of cool stuff in our society as long as you don't think about where it comes from.

Last edited:
That's pretty judgmental getting to decide whether something a company does is 'acceptable' or not. What are you going to do if it's unacceptable?! Go on a hunger strike or something?

Now I'm sure you want to claim that I'm a fanboy or something, but truth is I'm not buying an xbox since there's no games coming for it that I want to play right now.

Ya gotta be more of a 'han solo' in life, swear loyalty to nothing and take the advantages where they appear. Forget about right and wrong (there is no such thing), there's alot of cool stuff in our society as long as you don't think about where it comes from.

The bold is one way with dealing with the unacceptable. Whether you view it through the lens of the Topic or differently.
Balanced poll means legit question.

I think this will be an exception that Microsoft themselves will abandon for their next console.

Their schedule is lined up for mid-to-late gen output. If they don't go all in on streaming sticks to battle Amazon and Google we should expect at least something for their next-gen console in 2026.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I think MS has egg on their face for sure not launching with something huge. But I've been saying for a while thay the launch of this generation is lackluster all around. On launch day Microsoft has essentially nothing of their own and Sony is headlining with a remake of a PS3 game and a cross-gen PS4 game. At least Sony has a few softballs in there to show off the pretty 4K/60 and HDR like Sackboy and Astro. Microsoft didn't even do that.

I would say that Microsoft is ok with what they have because they are trying to end the generation cycle, which they are since their focus is on game subscriptions. But the more I think about the more clear it becomes that after Halo moved they just had nothing good left. By that time the train had left the station and it would be catastrophic to not release hardware alongside Sony. It's really disappointing, especially considering all of the studios they've acquired over the last generation they really should have had at least half a dozen kickass new games ready for this.

Tschumi

Their schedule is lined up for mid-to-late gen output.
You mean they're planning to release their big titles during the mid and late parts of the XSX generation?

If so, i don't mean to be skeptical but to me that sounds a bit more as though they have just started on the big titles now, perhaps in response to the current lack of them, and they won't be ready for a few years..

I mean, uhm how can I put this, there are two ways to interpret this.. one as marketing inspired scheduling and one as reactive scrambling.

The proof is in the pudding, I'll present my counter perspective but I won't try to say it's the truth~

Fitzchiv

Everything Microsoft are doing is pretty pro-consumer. They're making new gen gaming more accessible than ever before, they've invested a huge amount of time and money into a back-compat programme that will absolutely be a loss leader on its own, they delayed Halo because feedback told them it wasn't ready - rather than release it broken and fix it later, they're allowing full intergenerational comparability of accessories.

Someone mentioned on another page on the thread that Sony's "glorified DLC" will probably outsell anything MS releases for a while, and that's absolutely true - because many console gamers are fucking sheep. Reality is that if MS released a big first party launch exclusive you'd be in the exact same boat after 20 largely unsatisfying hours (let's face it, launch titles are often shit) as you would be in the current situation.

I've owned a PS4 and a One X in the last gen and I absolutely hands down prefer Microsoft's value proposition for this gen.

Can't wait for ac Valhalla at 4k 60 fps , that jump from 30 alone is worth upgrading and is a bigger jump for me than the 720p to 1080p era.
1080p 1440 p games look extremely bad on a big, 65 inch or a 77 inch TV

Riven326

Banned
Acceptable? Yes. Preferable? No. Given the amount of dev time Halo Infinite has had, I think most folks, myself included, were taken aback by how rough infinite looked at the reveal. The delay was less surprising, but also more disappointing given that there hasn't been a Halo game launching with Xbox since the original.

Face facts because the most talked about and celebrated games in the past 5 years or so have been multi-platform, with the exception of games like Animal Crossing. And I don’t want to hear about sales because even TLOU2 sold well but is anyone speaking on it current day? Is the talk even positive?

I don’t know why this hurts people’s feelings so much to know that exclusive games don’t move the needle the way they did in the Genesis/SNES era. Honestly the only people I feel like still care are PlayStation diehards because there’s nothing else to justify their undying support of the brand.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Face facts because the most talked about and celebrated games in the past 5 years or so have been multi-platform, with the exception of games like Animal Crossing. And I don’t want to hear about sales because even TLOU2 sold well but is anyone speaking on it current day? Is the talk even positive?

I don’t know why this hurts people’s feelings so much to know that exclusive games don’t move the needle the way they did in the Genesis/SNES era. Honestly the only people I feel like still care are PlayStation diehards because there’s nothing else to justify their undying support of the brand.
I know it doesn't mean much to most but I'm saying the following in the voice of Eder from Pillars of Eternity:

"How's life treating you in that there bubble, friend?"

TLOU 2 is the game of the generation. Of course people are still talking about it, you just did.

Rolla

Banned
With 13 days to go, launching without a big AAA titles is a disadvantage. To what degree is something that remains to be seen

But launching without a demonstration, trailer, gameplay of a next gen game showcasing your next gen hardware, especially when your console has the specifications to set the nextg gen bar, is really confusing to me.

TLOU 2 is the game of the generation. Of course people are still talking about it, you just did.
Screen-Shot-2020-10-25-at-11-20-46-AM.png

JCK75

I'm not buy ing hardware for the first two months of games launch titles are rarely anything that blow my mind, it's the stronger of the two and it has more potential for the long run.

TBH there are so many games that I'm looking forward to that I don't care. Cyberpunk for at least a few months, Legion, I actually liked the Cold War beta, GhostRunner, Valhalla etc... I'll end up with both consoles anyway and I have so many games in my backlog that it has little to no effect on whether or not I plan on buying said console.

The answer is no it's not acceptable its just OP forgot to include Sony.

Demon souls is literally just a graphical upgrade of the original with very minor tweaks, nothing like a ff7 remake which is a new game( love it or hate it).
Spiderman is an expansion at best and on ps4.
So Sony's big game is ratchet? Nah. I've finished every ratchet game ever , like fuck is it worth buying a console for.

Both dropped the ball hard this gen. I thought last gen launch was pathetic but this gen takes the biscuit. But what can you do every console is sold out. So just know if your preordered a console you are LITERALLY telling both companies you are ok with shitty launches and support them with your money.

Good for you. Bad for industry standard's (or what's left of them).

Jon Neu

Banned
The Microsoft lineup for the Xbox Series X at launch it's embarassing. They were probably beting on having Halo Infinite at launch, but then 343i and their diversity hirings happened and the rest is history.

I'm an Xbox fan, but this Christmas, the PS5 it's coming home. The Xbox Series X can wait until they actually release some good games.

OutRun88

It's completely fine, however disappointing for those of us used to getting an exciting new exclusive title for our shiny new plastic box.

It is obvious Microsoft is treating this generation as a fluid upgrade from the previous generation, similar to Nvidia or AMD releasing a new series of graphic cards. It just kills that feeling of a massive leap forward.

I believe the console launch cycle will eventually die - we will perpetually receive consoles and games. Just with mobile phones these days.
Like oh wow it's Xiaomi 10 already etc. The only exception is Apple and even it is dying out there. Leaps stopped being generational anyway.

Last edited:
Lol.... Another day, another 'concern thread'.

Please don't worry for me, I'll be playing gamepass games and cyberpunk for several months, and then I'll get free first party games for the next 5 years as part of my sub.

They are not free. your paying a sub and you don't get to keep them when your sub ends?
15 euro per month vs 80 euro at once for a single game? I know what would I choose.

And owning a game...With the exception of some legendary games - that are must buy like Skyrim or GTA - I don't return to old games at all. I doubt a lot of people do either. You can buy them if needed of course (such option still exists)

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

If exclusives don't matter, then people wouldn't buy Nintendo systems, right? They're least-powerful, but sell like gangbusters. I think the Switch and Wii kinda blowup your argument, because Nintendo sells systems almost exclusively on exclusives. What's the difference between a Playstation and Xbox, besides the exclusives? Why would MS pay $7.5B for Bethesda, if not to bolster their exclusives? I don't think your argument holds any water.

Top Bottom