• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it common to make big multi-topping sandwiches in the US?

butzopower

proud of his butz
NfjB7sy.jpg

This looks like a wonderful lunch to me. Only thing different in the US is that we'd put the sandwich on a plate instead of the table. Dat some homemade soup? Yum yum yum.

E92 M3

So today we had some classic Swedish hot sandwiches. Cheese and ham on white sea salt bread. Served with delicious broccoli soup. It always feels weird to have sandwiches as an actual meal as opposed to a tiny snack, but it's nice for some variety.

NfjB7sy.jpg

I'm pretty sure there are way more Americans being incredulous at the concept of breakfast sandwiches than Europeans insulting American cuisine.

Yes, love to see crunchy bread.

This is a Paseo Cuban sandwich. It is your new master.

hSMA9W3.jpg

What kind of cheese is that?

Ledsen

Google Image search breakfast sandwich and then compare it to that bread and cheese picture and you'll see where our "incredulity" comes from

Google gives me calorie bombs with egg, bacon etc that I assume no one would eat every day... Those aren't the kinds of breakfast sandwiches I'm talking about.

This looks like a wonderful lunch to me. Only thing different in the US is that we'd put the sandwich on a plate instead of the table. Dat some homemade soup? Yum yum yum.

That's not really a cultural difference, just a laziness one in is case ;) and yes, homemade soup. Soup is so underrated.

"mom, MOOOOOOOM, there are some euros on gaf saying that our cheese is shitty, why are they being so ANTI-AMERICAN???"

"shush don't pay any attention to them, they are just being jelly because they are struggling and poor. Now go clap your hands son because we're having burgers with FREEDOM CHEESE for dinner".

LMAO!!! I have my dog barking up a storm because I laughed too loud!!!

This thread keeps delivering!!!

Alucrid

Banned
Man, are Europeans depressed because of their sandwiches or are their depressing sandwiches created because of their disposition?

butzopower

proud of his butz
That's not really a cultural difference, just a laziness one in is case ;) and yes, homemade soup. Soup is so underrated.

A lot of places you can get a sandwich in the US will have a sandwich and soup combo. I either like doing that, or going half and half with someone else to have two different types of sandwiches.

Christine

GAF, I have a story to tell.

I own an electric kettle. I even occasionally use it to make tea. In a fit of uniquely American guilt, I felt I had to compensate for this aberrant behavior. So I went for the most American solution and purchased another counter-top appliance to help restore balance.

This device does one thing, and one thing only: make a hot egg sandwich. It has top and bottom hot plates and a double ring thing in the middle. It makes the process of making a breakfast sandwich quick and simple and requires minimal clean up. You put in meat, cheese, and an egg and in just a few minutes you get a sandwich. And by sandwich, I actually mean a sandwich. ~450 calories of bacon, sausage, egg and American cheese. The only flaw is that I have to use an English muffin :/

I think some of you just call those muffins, which must make the phrase "muffin-top" very confusing. Hell, I know you're confused. I've seen people look at pictures of biscuits and say "oh we have that, that's a scone". No. Stop. The closest analogue you have is that they are a very short, very flaky muffin.

Anyway, I think that covers just about everything. I'm happy with my breakfast sandwich appliance, it saves me from having to tip the guy at the Jack-in-the-Box drive thru. He doesn't seem very appreciative anyway, he's even started sliding the window shut before I can throw my handful of coins at him.

The one thing I can't explain to non-American readers is why Americans who read this post are now clapping furiously. You just don't have the cultural background to understand it.

E92 M3

LOL

I assure you they have plates :p

I own an electric kettle. I even occasionally use it to make tea. In a fit of uniquely American guilt, I felt I had to compensate for this aberrant behavior. So I went for the most American solution and purchased another counter-top appliance to help restore balance.

This device does one thing, and one thing only: make a hot egg sandwich. It has top and bottom hot plates and a double ring thing in the middle. It makes the process of making a breakfast sandwich quick and simple and requires minimal clean up. You put in meat, cheese, and an egg and in just a few minutes you get a sandwich. And by sandwich, I actually mean a sandwich. ~450 calories of bacon, sausage, egg and American cheese. The only flaw is that I have to use an English muffin :/

I think some of you just call those muffins, which must make the phrase "muffin-top" very confusing. Hell, I know you're confused. I've seen people look at pictures of biscuits and say "oh we have that, that's a scone". No. Stop. The closest analogue you have is that they are a very short, very flaky muffin.

Anyway, I think that covers just about everything. I'm happy with my breakfast sandwich appliance, it saves me from having to tip the guy at the Jack-in-the-Box drive thru. He doesn't seem very appreciative anyway, he's even started sliding the window shut before I can throw my handful of coins at him.

The one thing I can't explain to non-American readers is why Americans who read this post are now clapping furiously. You just don't have the cultural background to understand it.

murica.png

I think there's a review on Techmoan channel on Youtube. Either there are multiple different manufacturers making those things (kind of scary thought) or someone got lucky/unlucky.

Christine

I think there's a review on Techmoan channel on Youtube. Either there are multiple different manufacturers making those things (kind of scary thought) or someone got lucky/unlucky.

Heh, he forgot to hit the top portion with cooking spray. So much for following the instructions.

Video also reveals that America has the better English muffin and that you can't find pre-cooked sausage in the U.K.

riotous

Banned
I'll have to take a picture of my American grocery store's multiple cheese aisles. There must be about 50 feet of "walls of refrigerated items" dedicated to cheese. There's also the deli where you can buy whatever weight you want cut from the bulk cheese wheels/etc

So this was my evening snack. Some bread and cheese. I put one green leaf on each to reach 2 topping tier to please ya'll. I'm washing it down with my Brecken the Habit Smoothie - For healthier life choices ™

djBTbY7.jpg

Quixzlizx

So this was my evening snack. Some bread and cheese. I put one green leaf on each to reach 2 topping tier to please ya'll. I'm washing it down with my Brecken the Habit Smoothie - For healthier life choices ™

djBTbY7.jpg

You're a few strips of bacon away from something special here.

akira28

I just had some yogurt and a small meat sandwich, composed of a hawaiian roll, with Hawaii being America. And a small bit of Honey cured, spiral sliced Virginia ham. With Virginia being about as powerful as any single European country on its own.

the yogurt was from Greece but they are one of the cradles of modern civilization so I'll allow it.

You're a few strips of bacon away from something special here.

don't give away our culinary genius. he could toast that and put the lettuce on last, but they don't even have real bacon where he's from. it's just slices of smoked ham.

maxcriden

djBTbY7.jpg

It looks delicious but are you really going to drink that glass of olive oil with no chaser?

Faiz

You know that lettuce has about zero nutritional value, right?

You know that there are many different varieties of lettuce with incredibly varying degrees of nutritional value, right? And that even at the low end of the spectrum, iceberg lettuce, while not nutritionally dense, is anything but unhealthy?

Korey

djBTbY7.jpg

What are you, some billionaire's child?

nded

Wait, why were so many people at the beginning of the thread acting like eating bread with unmelted cheese is gross.

butzopower

proud of his butz
Shouldn't be surprised from the home of the Cheatriots but this abomination is something Europe and America should unite to destroy. Arguably before Isis.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chow_mein_sandwich

RVFTgpQ.jpg

This reminds me of the weird Chinese food I've been finding in Ireland.

Wait, why are people acting like eating bread with unmelted cheese is gross.

We don't think that's gross, we just don't think it's a sandwich. Though butter and cheese together is a bit weird when you don't understand that bread in Europe tends to be a bit less moist than it is in the US.

I've put spaghetti-o's on hotdogs and burgers before. Hell I used to hollow out a baguette and fill the center with a can of the stuff...but I'm a fucking monster. It is NOT a topping.

rjinaz

Wait, why were so many people at the beginning of the thread acting like eating bread with unmelted cheese is gross.

I think gross is an exaggeration on their part. But to most Americans, it would be unappetizing. Me? I'd just grab some meat and add another slide of bread and be golden.

You know that there are many different varieties of lettuce with incredibly varying degrees of nutritional value, right? And that even at the low end of the spectrum, iceberg lettuce, while not nutritionally dense, is anything but unhealthy?

But that lettuce is basically nothing.

I misunderstood their comment anyway. I thought they were implying it was somehow healthier, not just that they added a topping.

Top Bottom