• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it even possible for Sony/Microsoft to release Pro versions of PS5/XSX in 3-4 yrs?

Montauk

Lock this thread. The consoles aren't even launched in all territories and you want to start arguing over potential upgraded models?

You guys are masochists. Are you never satisfied with what you can have now? Do you never want to take a break from the feverish 24/7 speculation about The Next Thing?

NullZ3r0

Banned
There will be no pro consoles this generation. The only reason there was last gen is because MS and Sony undershot their specs because of the "consoles are dead" narratives. MS and Sony swung for the fences this time around.

Lock this thread. The consoles aren't even launched in all territories and you want to start arguing over potential upgraded models?

You guys are masochists. Are you never satisfied with what you can have now? Do you never want to take a break from the feverish 24/7 speculation about The Next Thing?

Please calm down, and there is nothing about this thread that justifies a lock. Its just a curiosity and I'm not "arguing".

Just because I asked a question about potential Pro models does not mean I'm not satisfied with my PS5, I am, but I still like to know the possible future.

I dunno but I'd buy them. I have the disposable income and hate PC gaming so I'd probably spend close to a grand for a super console.
This is my take as well. I keep researching the heck out of upgrading PC lately and I keep ending by throwing my hands in the air and saying "F That".
I'll just get the shiny new console instead.

Kerotan

They'll wait until it makes sense. That could be 4 years or it could be 5 if there's issues stalling progress like you've suggested. But it will happen.

ToadMan

The wanking over that creepy little goblin on here is genuinely disturbing.

ctIhv2O.jpg

Yeah, Cerny is getting the pussay...

Last edited:

Montauk

Please calm down, and there is nothing about this thread that justifies a lock. Its just a curiosity and I'm not "arguing".

Just because I asked a question about potential Pro models does not mean I'm not satisfied with my PS5, I am, but I still like to know the possible future.

"Could something possibly happen?" is not an interesting question.

You already know it could, so what's the point?

Gaming culture has become this, just masturbating about the next 'megatonne'. Gamers are just like Charybdis now, they will never be satisfied.

Does anybody actually play or care about actual games that actually exist on actual hardware?

Last edited:
"Could something possibly happen?" is not an interesting question.

You already know it could, so what's the point?

Gaming culture has become this, just masturbating about the next 'megatonne'.

Does anybody actually play or care about actual games that actually exist on actual hardware?

Actually, I don't hence why I asked the question in the first place. You clearly don't have any interest in this topic other than to pass judgement on people who want to talk about the future, so maybe you should find a different topic that actually interests you. Thank You.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I'd think it would be fair simple really. Wouldn't ram capacity and the ssds actually be the larger concern than the chips?

KAL2006

Banned
Seems rather odd to do this time around as no need for 4K marketing. Also we likely going to get more years of cross gen games this generation. So we would only get like a year worth of loads of true next gen games before a mid gen refresh which is odd. I reckon this time round the midgen stuff will be a add on like PSVR2 and Xbox Series X VR solution as well as Slim Verizon of the consoles and consoles with more built in storage.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
The last generation was a bit different. 4k TVs took off. 1080p was still the norm at those console's launch. That said I would not be surprised if they did.

Javthusiast

Banned
I had a base ps4 for the entirety of last gen and was perfectly fine with it.

I would like a better slimmer ps5 redesign, but should I get a ps5 this year or next and if it doesn't break or anything then I can ride out the entire gen on the base console again easy. xD

5nm slim is possible. But don't expect them to go Zen 3 or 4 for literally anything. Just like last-gen, keep expectations in check and don't believe a single "insider". All those rumors of the XOX and the PS4P going Zen were ridiculous bullshit and never came into fruition, not even close. Although Microsoft has the advantage if they wanted to upgrade considering how connected and unified their platform is.

Last edited:
5nm slim is possible. But don't expect them to go Zen 3 or 4 for literally anything. Just like last-gen, keep expectations in check and don't believe a single "insider". All those rumors of the XOX and the PS4P going Zen were ridiculous bullshit and never came into fruition, not even close. Although Microsoft has the advantage if they wanted to upgrade considering how connected and unified their platform is.

Yeah Zen 2 is more than capable enough to get us through the generation. The Pro consoles could just increase speeds somewhat.

ManaByte

Gold Member
The Xbox One X and PS4 Pro were needed because both companies went cheap with Jaguar processors. They couldn't do much about the CPU, but they were able to boost the GPU for gains.

That's not an issue this time around. Both have strong CPUs and GPUs.

SegaShack

Yes because a lot of games right now on these new consoles still don't hit 60fps in 4k.

Most importantly, there is money to be made and people who will buy these things.

OZ9000

Banned
We haven't even started next gen.

I'd rather the pro versions be canned and we upgrade to the PS6 and Xbox Next after 5 years instead.

At this point I believe Cerny can do anything, he’s a fucking wizard. And Microsoft can produce another PC, they’re not limited to the current cases.

Ok that was hilarious *and* true.

On topic - yes - easy. Die shrinks, improving design based on feedback / market analysis, etc.

BlueAlpaca

We haven't even started next gen.

I'd rather the pro versions be canned and we upgrade to the PS6 and Xbox Next after 5 years instead.

Me too. This gen is so powerful and expensive it'll last for a long time, so make next-gen a sort of 'pro' gen where you have new consoles and architectures but most games are multi-plat. This would be a good excuse for them to go nuts with power and make the base models 600 dollar beasts.

Reindeer

Probably on mature 5nm or 4nm node with double the tflops and much better RT. They could even use that hardware as an entry point into the gen after. I think going forward consoles will probably come with you into next gen and serve as entry level consoles, at least the Pro ones.

Last edited by a moderator:

Knightime_X

Unless they're 50tf with 30+gb of vram don't bother.
Just wait another 2 years and release a new much stronger console that's BC.

Last edited:

dcx4610

Possible but I really hope they don't. The mid-gen refresh really hurt the console generation to me and made the newer systems feel like another half-step.

If we went from original to PS4 to PS5, it'd feel like a pretty substansial upgrade. From PS4 Pro to PS5, it just feels like getting a bit more consistent FPS/4K resolution and an SSD upgrade. It hardly feels like a generational leap like the old days.

truth411

Sony, Yes on 3nm so 40CUs to 80CUs should be doable.
MS, I dont know because doubling the CUs to 112 might be too big/expensive even at 3nm.

3nm would also lead to a PS5 Slim. Say holiday 2023.

truth411

I dont think we will get Pro consoles because what will be the target be for them?, what will be the hook?. With the Pro and OneX, the target was 4k, or at least much higher resolutions. What would be the target resolution wise with any potential pro consoles because the XSX and PS5 are already targeting 4k, and any potential Pro consoles certainly wont have the power to push next gen games to 8k.
Ray Tracing would of actually been a nice hook for Pro consoles, if they had left RT out of XSX and PS5, which they should of done.

No i just dont see what the selling factor would be for Pro consoles, what the hook would be.
A Pro Version would be targeted for higher Framerates with full/better Ray Tracing effects at Full 4k. Not "Dynamic"

So 4k/120fps with Full/More Ray Tracing?

By 2023 All TVs will have HDMI 2.1 inputs.

gow3isben

Microsoft already has their upgrade in the series X, Sony doesn’t need to either.

New gen 2027. There will be cheaper slim versions though

johntown

Banned
Of course there will be Pro versions. This will be the new normal going forward for consoles.

It is ridiculous to think otherwise.

LucidFlux

Well, both platform holders are already working on their next console(s). It will be AMD's long term roadmap as well as the platform holder's market performance that dictates when they pull the trigger on working towards the next iteration of this gen or waiting a couple years (if they're doing well in the market and big leaps are expected with AMD) to look towards a whole new generation.

soulbait

Why wouldn't it be possible?

- same CPU
- faster GPU with more cores
- More RAM
- better RayTracing hardware?

How is none of that possible? The biggest issue would be the better GPU due to heat, but they could do it.

But why is this even a question right now with the consoles not even available everywhere yet?

ZywyPL

Banned
Technically yes, but practically, how many people have a house big enough to store even bigger PS5 model? ;p

But honestly, I don't really see mid-gen models happening this time around, 8K won't become a real thing in the next decade or so, and I don't see any other marketing/business point in more powerful 4K consoles.

Jokerevo

Banned
Dude I know it's been a rough week but give your xbox a chance. You can still run outdated games at a solid 60fps so all is not lost.

GloveSlap

I hope mid-gen refreshes are a still thing going forward. That way you can buy one system at launch and buy the refresh of the other competing system. You get to play all the games that way, but with less hardware redundancy.

Top Bottom