• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it immoral for people to dress up their pets/animals if they think it's "cute"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Was having this discussion with a friend. I don't dress up my cat because he already has fur and animals don't require clothes to keep warm or hide their shame like humans do. Me and home-girl both agreed it was wrong to "dress up" your cat, dog, rabbit etc. as people do it for their own amusement, not to benefit the animal.

Like, this is okay because this protects against the cold, it has a purpose (protective wear, little booties for the ice and snow):

4-dog-wearing-boots-lgn.jpg

This on the other hand is too much imo. This is Lady Gaga's dog wearing glamorous jewelry, I mean it's cute and she clearly loves her dog but I can't tell from Asia's expression whether or not she's uncomfortable:

gaga-dog-2.jpg

My cat certainly let me know loud and clear he wasn't having it that one time I tried to put a small scarf and hat on him for a facebook picture, never again. I have another friend who dressed up her chihuahua in a full on tuxedo just to go on a trip to someone's house. Poor chihuahua looked unhappy and like a straight up joke. Didn't look right. I say let them be.

Thoughts?

sophiscated_cat.PNG

Mailbox

I'm fine with it if it's novel like that cat with the suit or for just a single instance, sweaters are even ok... I guess

Otherwise it's tacky and people should stop doing it.
It just looks bad a good majority of the time it's done.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I could maybe accept a coat on a dog living out of his natural environment, but it's a fashion trend I loathe to the extreme. Poor sods

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
What makes it immoral? Animals don't have any shame.

The fact that they don't have voices to tell you "no". Not every animal is as outspoken and feisty as my cat....Usually people who dress them up are doing it for their own amusement (when it's not to protect against the Canadian Winter).

Immoral is a strong word. Stupid, tacky and creepy maybe. I have a friend who treats her dogs like children and created Facebook profiles for each. There were some picks of them in little dresses and panties. I might consider that the work of the devil.

The fact that they don't have voices to tell you "no". Not every animal is as outspoken and feisty as my cat....Usually people who dress them up are doing it for their own amusement (when it's not to protect against the Canadian Winter).

No, but when they have something on them that they don't like, they usually thrash around trying to get it off. Even if they're not that overt, it's not that hard to tell when a dog or cat feels uncomfortable.

enigmatic_alex44

Immoral is a strong word. Stupid, tacky and creepy maybe. I have a friend who treats her dogs like children and created Facebook profiles for each. There were some picks of them in little dresses and panties. I might consider that the work of the devil.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-13484-1349223767-4.gif

Dishwalla

Banned
It's not immoral, but it's also something I'd never subject my cat to. As far as I'm concerned, she's cute enough without goofy clothes on her.

Doukou

My family used to have a Jack Russel who would want this flimsy sweater on. He would beg and whine till we put it on. It didn't really have much practicality but I guess he liked it for some reason.

That Jewerly dog looks painful.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I think its offensive when people make it so by leaving tasteless messages on the image :(

tumblr_lw6jlf6ArS1r363szo1_500.png

They choose to roll in their own shit. As long as they're not being threatened into wearing it, I don't care how weird people try to anthropomorphize their pets.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
people do it for their own amusement, not to benefit the animal.
A lot of people own pets for their own amusement and not to benefit the animal! :eek:

not unless it is immoral to own pets at all
This is the bottom line. Pets are moral patients, not moral agents. They are entitled to ethical treatment but the human owner makes all the decisions regarding their care. If we're cool with that, I don't see how we can object to dressing them provided it doesn't cause them any pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom