• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it normal for the Switch to be warm when docked and in sleep mode? Battery is 100%

alf717

I noticed lately that my Switch is getting pretty warm when docked and in sleep mode. Battery says it is 100% but when I take it out of the dock after hours of it not being used its pretty warm. This week before update 5.0.0 I noticed my left USB ports weren't working but when I unplugged the dock from the wall outlet they worked again. I'm not 100% sure but I remember the system being cool to the touch when I pull it out of the dock maybe I'm just not remembering this correctly.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Well it is connected to the power, so electricity is constantly being pushed into the device.
If it is just hand-warm i wouldn’t worry too much though.

Last edited:

alf717

Well it is conmected to the power, so electricity is comstantly being pushed into the device.
If it is just hand-warm i wouldn’t worry too much though.

OK thanks for the info. That is exactly how hot it gets I just thought maybe my battery was going bad cause it was constantly charging even at 100%. Thanks for the reply.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Just had a look at my Switch which was connected to an external charger for the past 24 hours, also slightly warm. So no worries.

Codes 208

Yup. Because even though its 100%, the system technically drains very slowly over time, the charger keeps the level at 100% (often referred to as phantom draining) so wbike this shouldnt cause any problems, it may cause the system to warm up a bit. Same can be said for just about any system on a charger.

Last edited:

staen

You could always just turn off your Switch too rather than leaving it in sleep mode. I find it kind of inconvenient to turn off though since there doesn't seem to be any other way other than holding down the power button.

MarcelDG88

Neo Member
I noticed lately that my Switch is getting pretty warm when docked and in sleep mode. Battery says it is 100% but when I take it out of the dock after hours of it not being used its pretty warm. This week before update 5.0.0 I noticed my left USB ports weren't working but when I unplugged the dock from the wall outlet they worked again. I'm not 100% sure but I remember the system being cool to the touch when I pull it out of the dock maybe I'm just not remembering this correctly.
same here, if you listen closely at the fan opening you hear it is running very silently(even more silent than booting up). The switch gets luke warm.
And yes i can confirm the lan adapter as well as the wifi(if you only have wifi) stay on 24/7. Previously it check for updates a couple times a day.
I would much rather have nintendo set a timer in the sleep mode option in the menu, just like wiiu. So you can set it yourself, if you want it to check every hour put in 1H and if you want to let it check for update every 24 hours than put it on 24h.

Top Bottom