• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it time for Capcom to give Street Fighter a break?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Hear me out, I’m a huge Street Fighter fan as well and I buy SF every time a new release comes out.

But, SFV and SF4 are already both great games and have a ton of characters. What if this generation they DON’T make SF6 just yet and instead give some of their other fighting franchises a chance to shine?

How about a Powerstone 3, or at least a 4K remaster of PS2? How about letting Darkstalkers be their main competitive fighting game this gen instead of more SF? Maybe a new fighting IP entirely (MvC2 had great new Capcom characters like Ruby Heart and Amingo. Instead of making so many season passes for SF6, what if they instead spend that time and effort to give some of their other franchises room to a chance in the spotlight again?

Also, instead of trying to revive the Marvel vs Capcom license and trying to make another game in the series, how about giving that a longer rest and instead giving us Capcom vs SNK 3? You won’t have the same licensing issues down the road and it’s long overdue at this point. Heck, maybe even let Arc System Works be involved somehow so that we can have Guilty Gear Strive graphics? I’d even be ok with Capcom vs Capcom to avoid ALL licensing issues… they have enough characters to do it easily and it could be their main competitive game this gen instead of SF.

What do you guys think, would this be a good time for Capcom to let Street Fighter take a break?

Last edited:

WitchHunter

The game is the same since the beginning. I cannot fathom how on fuckin earth you not get bored? Did they insert some kind of story?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
What MTX? You mean all the stuff including characters you can get in game with the points you get by just playing it? Does any other fighting game (e.g. MK or Tekken) allow that?
it's the you can unlock it for free schtick just invest your life thing.

kinda like the COD battlepass sure you can just unlock everything.. if you have an insane amount of time.

this was SW BF2 before the shit hit the fan

Last edited:
I'd like something 3D like Soul Calibur. 2D is fine for some people, but I find it incredibly simplistic and boring.

3D big budget RE Engine Street Fighter game to put the series back on the map.

Reizo Ryuu

What MTX? You mean all the stuff including characters you can get in game with the points you get by just playing it? Does any other fighting game (e.g. MK or Tekken) allow that?
Everything needs to be free, doesn't matter how much extra content they add, it must all cost nothing.
If it has to cost something, at the very least it also has to split the userbase, preferably in the form of a new "version", this way the buyer can feel justified about their purchase.

ShadowLag

Hear me out, I’m a huge Street Fighter fan as well and I buy SF every time a new release comes out.

But, SFV and SF4 are already both great games and have a ton of characters. What if this generation they DON’T make SF6 just yet and instead give some of their other fighting franchises a chance to shine?

How about a Powerstone 3, or at least a 4K remaster of PS2? How about letting Darkstalkers 3 be their main competitive fighting game this gen instead of more SF? Maybe a new fighting IP entirely (MvC2 had great new Capcom characters like Ruby Heart and Amingo. Instead of making so many season passes for SF6, what if they instead spend that time and effort to give some of their other franchises room to a chance in the spotlight again?

Also, instead of trying to revive the Marvel vs Capcom license and trying to make another game in the series, how about giving that a longer rest and instead giving us Capcom vs SNK 3? You won’t have the same licensing issues down the road and it’s long overdue at this point. Heck, maybe even let Arc System Works be involved somehow so that we can have Guilty Gear Strive graphics? I’d even be ok with Capcom vs Capcom to avoid ALL licensing issues… they have enough characters to do it easily and it could be their main competitive game this gen instead of SF.

What do you guys think, would this be a good time for Capcom to let Street Fighter take a break?

Street Fighter V came out in Feb of 2016, that's 5 years and 7 months ago. The break has been too long already.

In terms of giving the spotlight to a different fighting franchise, well, that's commendable - but they know anything other than SF will sell like bollocks, and they don't want that. I think keeping SF the mainline fighting game along with its competitors MK/Tekken/etc. is the right move, while still sprinkling smaller budget side franchise fighters for $30-40 here and there.

Personally I hated SFV and none of the DLC or updates have made it better for me, so I'm dying for a real new rock solid SF.

No, it's the "play the damn game and unlock it" thing.
kinda like the COD battlepass sure you can just unlock everything.. if you have an insane amount of time.

this was SW BF2 before the shit hit the fan
Sound like you don't really want to play the game. Figures.

Everything needs to be free, doesn't matter how much extra content they add, it must all cost nothing.
If it has to cost something, at the very least it also has to split the userbase, preferably in the form of a new "version", this way the buyer can feel justified about their purchase.
They can go play something else, then. Great filter for scrubs.

nbkicker

According to the capcom internal leaks streetfighter 6 is coming, and should have been out this year, but they took another year to change it as internal playtesting didnt hit how they wanted the game going forward , apparently a 2022 game

No, if anything it's getting close to the time to start teasing SF6.

I do hope for something more arcade-y and faster paced than SF5 is.

yurinka

No, I think they must continue supporting Street Fighter and they will do it. I think that to give SF a break would be a dumb move.

With over 5.8 million units sold until now, SFV is the 2nd best selling Capcom fighting game project ever (top 1 is SF2 SNES with 6.3M) and the 9th best selling game (project) ever. It is still selling each quarter 5 years after launch, and must have sold a shit ton of DLC since they are still making more DLC content to keep releasing it until next year and super frequently when playing online you saw other players using paid DLC.

According to their leaked schedule they have SFVI planned for late next year (probably it has been delayed to 2023 due to covid). They also plan to release a few revisions of that game (which would be its 'Super', 'Ultra' etc versions) and that schedule that covered until 2024 didn't include any other fighting game (but they mentioned there Final Fight and Captain Commando so they might release a remake, new sequel or compilation of these games).

SFV also did help them grow their positioning in the FGC eSports and even brought a Capcom game to the Olympics. It's important for them as company to fight for the leadership of the fighting game eSports because it's having a great growth so there are a huge potential business there.

The other Capcom fighting games always sold way less than SF, with being their crossovers with Marvel the only other one with decent sales, but since they are licensed games it means a huge chunk of the game revenue goes for the licensor and not for Capcom. So it would be very strange to see them reviving these IPs. What I think is way more likely is that -as happened in SFV- we may see them integrated into SF as guest characters, costumes or stages.

They are giving it a break right now. 🤷‍♂️
No, they are still updating and adding content to SFV, which even if it had a rocky start it performed super well. And they also plan to release SFVI late next year (who knows if already delayed to 2023 due to covid). See what I posted above for extra details.

after 5 with all that MTX sheit? they should just kill it
All new game modes, gameplay mechanics, gameplay rebalance patches have been free in Street Fighter V. In a few hours playing the base game with dumb difficulty you could unlock enough currency to unlock several post launch characters. I unlocked enough currency equivalent to 3 season passes.

All the paid only DLC are only cosmetics.

All the SFV versions for console and PC played the same version and together in a single community via crossplay, because they upgrade it for free, they aren't split. It's a way better decision that to split the fanbase, to leave players behind meaning you reduce the amount of players you find online so it's harder to match you with someone of your same level.

They must continue with the same strategy of free gameplay updates, unlockable characters and leaving the paid only DLC only for cosmetics. And to don't split their community, they must continue keeping all players on a single community independetly of which version they bought or in which platform do they play.

Street Fighter V has been the most generous fighting game ever since didn't require you to buy full (or reduced) price revisions of the game to get rebalances, mechanics or characters, and allowed you to get several of these DLC characters for free.

Not the case of SFV. In SFV you were able to unlock more than the 5 or 6 characters included in a season pass in a few hours, only playing the normal single player content with retardedly easy difficulty.

The game is the same since the beginning. I cannot fathom how on fuckin earth you not get bored? Did they insert some kind of story?
In these 5 years SFV got a ton of new content, features, fixes and improvements. It's a totally different game.

Regarding story, SFV now features a cinematic story game mode (movie like cutscenes + fights, some of them in stages or versus characters exclusive to this mode), a short story prologue for each character (a couple of fights plus some artwork and text) and 6 arcade modes (SF1, SFA, SFIII, SFIV, SFV) where each character has a different ending for each arcade mode.

If you like SF lore, SFV has a ton of it.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Yep. It's old hat. The same 1v1, 2D fighting formula that's been used for decades. Change the fucking record Capcom, for fuck sake!

How about a 4v4 fighter, that is fully 3D, with an over the shoulder third person view, complete with fully destructible environments (knocking people through walls, collapsing skyscrapers with battles then taking part in a street etc)

Give us a Hollywood style voice cast (Sylvester Stallone to voice Ken for example). Give us a hardcore, R rated story, full of sex, violence and deep, dark, powerful themes.

Don't even it bother calling Street Fighter 6 as this will be a reboot. Call it something modern and mind-blowing like Street Fighter: Super Prime, or Street Fighter: Maximum Extreme etc.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

How about a Powerstone 3, or at least a 4K remaster of PS2? How about letting Darkstalkers 3 be their main competitive fighting game this gen instead of more SF? Maybe a new fighting IP entirely (MvC2 had great new Capcom characters like Ruby Heart and Amingo. Instead of making so many season passes for SF6, what if they instead spend that time and effort to give some of their other franchises room to a chance in the spotlight again?

I want a reboot, With a gameplay similar to Shenmue.... Take elements or similar plot like Street fighter 2 Víctory anime

Last edited:

catvonpee

I'm never buying Street Fighter again if everything is unlocked with Fight Money. Also get rid of that stupid ink blot shit on all the moves.

Mess

As much as i'd want a new DarkStalkers, it seems capcom is only focusing on SF atm with Street fighter 6 leaked and prolly getting announced at capcom cup.

No hurry tho, SF5 is the best it had ever been. It's just a shame they didn't improve the netcode before the pandemic...

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Im not a fan of the super cartoony art style. It was cool for SF4 but seems a bit tired now. Really wish tehy would go back to 2D or something but not sure that will happen.

Mess

Im not a fan of the super cartoony art style. It was cool for SF4 but seems a bit tired now. Really wish tehy would go back to 2D or something but not sure that will happen.

Cartoony has it's perks tho, it's very readable and somehow ages well. Capcom is prolly not going back to 2D ever since most of their artist must be 3D nowadays, it's a lot more work and you can't monetize the 37 chun-li costumes... we still have 3S and vsav tho, looking glorious to this day...

I'm never buying Street Fighter again if everything is unlocked with Fight Money. Also get rid of that stupid ink blot shit on all the moves.

Why tho? FM was super easy to come by and doing it this way is way better than fragmenting the community with different versions like it used to be...

catvonpee

Why tho? FM was super easy to come by and doing it this way is way better than fragmenting the community with different versions like it used to be...
Don't sell multiple versions of the game with screen shots of all the retro backgrounds and then make everything dependent on playing the game online. I am just a casual player. I have no interest in getting good or spending a ton of time to try and unlock shit I already paid for. Don't defend this shit either. It's inexcusable. Just like on disc DLC.

Knightime_X

If Street Fighter 6's gameplay feels like sf5 i'll definitely have no issues giving sf a break.
sf5 sucked

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties

Not so sure it needs a break but if they brought back Powerstone (especially a remaster of 1 &2); I'd settle more toward that.

Mess

Don't sell multiple versions of the game with screen shots of all the retro backgrounds and then make everything dependent on playing the game online. I am just a casual player. I have no interest in getting good or spending a ton of time to try and unlock shit I already paid for. Don't defend this shit either. It's inexcusable. Just like on disc DLC.
Ofc I'll defend it. You got a full game with what you paid. With each new character added, even if you can't play it, you're getting new content since you can play against said character. The whine is baseless.

I would kill for a new Darkstalkers or Rival Schools instead from Capcom but it’s too risky. They know SF will sell.

People hate on sfv but it’s almost beaten sf2 in sales. So even a game with bad press at launch sells like hot cakes.

That’s what businesses like - minimal risk.
Sadly we are stuck with SF Cus normies gonna normie

Last edited:

catvonpee

Ofc I'll defend it. You got a full game with what you paid. With each new character added, even if you can't play it, you're getting new content since you can play against said character. The whine is baseless.
I paid twice for the game. Like I bought the base version then got the Ultra edition for more money except it was all locked behind a fight money paywall. Surely you can see my point of view? If anything you should just be able to unlock everything just by playing through the story mode with all the characters. Like stuff used to be in the 90s.

I paid twice for the game. Like I bought the base version then got the Ultra edition for more money except it was all locked behind a fight money paywall. Surely you can see my point of view? If anything you should just be able to unlock everything just by playing through the story mode with all the characters. Like stuff used to be in the 90s.

In the 90’s fighting games would be busted at launch and you’d have to buy a completely new version of the game a year later to fix the balance with like 2 new characters for another 80 dollars. (Which is like 300 usd dollars with inflation)

Nostalgia goggles are surely something

Last edited:

Mess

That's weird, the champion edition (available as an upgrade) is supposed to have every character except season 5, and then just playing through story mode should give you enough FM to buy most of the remaining I think. That being said, SF5 single player content is underwhelming at best and ye I get your point of view...

catvonpee

In the 90’s fighting games would be busted and you’d have to buy a completely new version of the game a year later to fix the balance with 2 new characters for another 80 dollars. (Which is like 300 usd dollars with inflation)

Nostalgia goggles are surely something
You guys are completely missing my point. I have zero interest in playing the game online to unlock stuff. I don't care what the game costs. But just make it so you can unlock all the stuff they are teasing by yourself or on a couch with a friend.

Ol'Scratch

I think Street Fighter V is the best it has been, and I think most in the FCG are waiting for 6 to be announced including roll back. That being said, GIVE ME FUCKING DARKSTALKERS.

yurinka

That's weird, the champion edition (available as an upgrade) is supposed to have every character except season 5, and then just playing through story mode should give you enough FM to buy most of the remaining I think. That being said, SF5 single player content is underwhelming at best and ye I get your point of view...
It has 6 arcade modes, the main cinematic story mode, smal character story prologues, survival mode, trials, weekly special challenges with an insane gallery and amount of characters, costumes, colors, titles and other stuff to unlock like items for survival mode or currency to unlock stuff. It has literally hundreds of hours of single player content.

But something I think they must tweak for the future is its difficulty. In some parts it's too easy (survival in easy or medium, arcade or story in normal battles, som weekly challenges), in some other ones it's too difficult (survival in higher difficulties above normal, many trials, some weekly special challenges, some boss fights in story or arcade).

I would kill for a new Darkstalkers or Rival Schools instead from Capcom but it’s too risky. They know SF will sell.
To make a brand new fighting game with all their post launch content, re-releases of revisions, eSports stuff, marketing and so on must cost around 100 million dollars or above.

If you look at the list of Capcom games that shipped 1 million copies or above there is no Darkstalker or Rival Schools game or compilation. Even if the new game becomes the best selling one in the series and sells like twice their best selling one, let's say selling almost 2 million copies it wouldn't be enough to make this game profitable because between the platform holder revenue share, taxes, the cut from the retailers or third party stores they only get around half of the money you pay from a game.

I assume that to break even they need to sell maybe around 4 million copies at full price (less if like SFV it has a ton of DLC and post launch content and it sells, let's say around 3M in this case). A new Darkstalkers, Power Stone or Rival Schools very likely would sell less than that and most of their copies at a discounted price, not at full price.

So for SF6 and future fighting games I think they'll aim for 4M copies at full price (releasing it in all platforms, not console exclusive as they did with SFV) plus the same amount of money in microtransactions/DLC and then some extra money from discounted sales, game subscription services, in-game or eSports marketing promotions.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

But just make it so you can unlock all the stuff they are teasing by yourself or on a couch with a friend.
And the point you are missing is that this simply isn't happening until the game is -completely- done updating and separate patches aren't needed.
You're playing "SF5", not "SF5 version 20", the versions are gone so the only way the server knows what content you have access to is to go online.
This is an unavoidable consequence of having a single userbase were all updates are free; if you had a "version" of SF5 with everything accessible offline, you would no longer be compatible with the rest of the users, since you'd literally be playing a different edition of the game.

So even if capcom is selling champion edition discs, with updated content on them, you'd only have access to the things that are system level, like balance changes, or a different UI.
Everything else is going to be locked, because those need server "permission".

Celcius

°Temp. member
So basically people are saying that Capcom can’t afford to make smaller games anymore? Slim chance of a new Rival Schools, Puzzle Fighter 3, etc…

Eh, I guess not even Megaman gets much love any more in terms of Capcom releases

yurinka

So basically people are saying that Capcom can’t afford to make smaller games anymore? Slim chance of a new Rival Schools, Puzzle Fighter 3, etc…

Eh, I guess not even Megaman gets much love any more in terms of Capcom releases
They may include some of them in one of these compilations of emulated games they release from time to time. But a brand new game seems highly unlikely.

Mega Man got more love because it has several games and compilations that sold over a million copies (and well, to make a Mega Man is way cheaper than a brand new fighting game).

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
Fuck no, it's time for SF6 and Tekken 8 baby.

twerk GIF

NikuNashi

Played 4 daily for 8 years, haven't got into 5 at all. I'm patiently waiting for them to move on from 5 and start afresh. Like others have said I hope for a 2.5D new street fighter with a visual fidelity of guilty gear.

EDMIX

Nah.

They are 100% working on SFVI and I think last gen had its ups and downs, but they still did pretty fucking good compared to how they started that gen. They were literally open to being bought out and had Nintendo, MS and Sony putting shit out for them at the same time, so I feel SFVI is more likely and I think how they did SFV should be how they do the next game.

Spend the whole generation putting out content for it and supporting it etc. I think the Nintendo, once per generation route makes more sense for SF and Capcom right now. Fans seem to like it as they have a whole gen to get used to the game and compete etc. I think the support they did for SFV was great, but I think I'd question them doing another generation of just SFV, that would be weird.

Top Bottom