• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it time to get excited about Immortals Fenix Rising or not because Ubisoft?

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Taking a break from the UbiFormula for a while after Valhalla (fun to an extent then ultimately exhaustive). Maybe after a couple of months.

Seems a little cartoony for my tastes, but willing to give it a shot.

Holammer

A minor YTber I follow on twitter made some #sponsored tweets and videos on the subject.
I'm already blushing from vicarious embarrassment! It'll fucking ruin me if the game gets shit on in reviews.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I played the Stadia demo and it seemed really well made, but just completely derivative. They took Assassin's Creed: Odyssey, cartooned it up, stole some systems from Breath of the Wild, and jacked up the mythical/fantasy element by about 60%. I think I would probably enjoy it, but I played a lot of Odyssey and am not sure I want to do another Disneyland version of ancient Greece again any time soon. Will probably grab on a discount someday.

Last edited by a moderator:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I played the Stadia demo and it seemed really well made, but just completely derivative. They took Assassin's Creed: Odyssey, cartooned it up, stole some systems from Breath of the Wild, and jacked up the mythical/fantasy element by about 60%. I think I would probably enjoy it, but I played a lot of Odyssey and am not sure I want to do another Disneyland version of ancient Greece again any time soon. Will probably grab on a discount someday.
I wouldn’t mind a BOTW clone but I don’t care for one with endless ubishit bloat, so I’ll wait for reviews and stuff.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Watch Dogs Legion is a lot of fun.
Assassins Creed Valhalla is a lot of fun and looks amazing in 4K, HDR
Immortals looks pretty interesting. I may buy on Thursday, depending on reviews. But it should be good.

Kagey K

Banned
We should all be against charity case hiring practices. Fire Phil. Dump this game.
What are you even on about? What would Phil have to do with this Ubisoft game?

I think Yves was the name you were looking for.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
At least Ubisoft is showing restraint by only releasing a $99.99 Gold Edition.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

wipeout364

why would you want actively “dislike” the game!?
Mainly because the art style and Ubisoft’s constant retreading of games. Every game plays and feels the same.
Ubisoft game design doc.

open zone, do quest, survey zone, do quest, do repetitive side missions, do quest, finish zone move to next zone rinse repeat, charge 160 dollars Canadian for ultimate edition oh wait did I say ultimate I meant everything except this currency you should buy to unlock all this other stuff. Oh we made the game a time sink with boring content you should buy our XP BOOSTER TM to make the game enjoyable. Oh you just want that item in our store sorry we make sure you always have to buy excess coins then what it costs.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Im digging the artstyle and gameplay from what I've seen of it. Just wished it would have kept its original name Gods and Monsters.

Ubisoft was in trouble over the name God's and Monsters. By Monster energy drink company. They filed a dispute and Ubisoft was forced to change the name of the game. Or face legal action by Monster energy.

I read about it in an article.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Mainly because the art style and Ubisoft’s constant retreading of games. Every game plays and feels the same.
I also dislike majority and Ubisoft games but if they do make good game (Mario + Rabbits) I’m willing to give it chance. But in my honest opinion, I don’t think Immortals Fenix Rising is one of them......for me at least.

Ubisoft is like definition of gigantic soulless gaming factory that produces stuff on industrial scale for mass consumption. I bet that’s exactly how they construct their games, 5% of that%, 30% that, don’t offend anyone, don’t take risks etc.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Ubisoft is like definition of gigantic soulless gaming factory that produces stuff on industrial scale for mass consumption. I bet that’s exactly how they construct their games, 5% of that%, 30% that, don’t offend anyone, don’t take risks etc.
This is undoubtedly true. See how they added the eagle to AC (with story reasons etc) then in a year some reskin of the eagle was in every game they made. There’s a million examples of this.

that said Immortals does look different, which is why it is interesting, but we will see.

Last edited:
I think it looks interesting but I'm not big on Ubisoft games because there isn't much to do outside of the missions. If the game consists of too much travel and a handful of same-ish missions like most Ubisoft games, I can't see myself enjoying it. Also, I'm not sure how often the game will force feminism on me.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This is undoubtedly true. See how they added the eagle to AC (with story reasons etc) then in a year some reskin of the eagle was in every game they made. There’s a million examples of this.

that said Immortals does look different, which is why it is interesting, but we will see.

It's weird, because the bird in Valhalla is basically useless. It was awesome and super useful in Origins and especially Odyssey, but since they basically removed stealth gameplay along with the ability to tag enemies, the bird is completely unnecessary.

Methos#1975

In all honesty this game is the next Anthem. Being that, the core devs have to allow gift kids on brain drugs to pitch ideas.

Can please explain how it's the next Anthem, I mean it's nothing like it, Anthem was a limited online focused GAAS while this is just a single player focused AC reskin with some Zelda gameplay influences

jaysius

Banned
It's offensively bland and has far too many F2P hooks like shitty loot with pathetic incremental gains, too many different currency type units. On medium offensively easy "atta boy" bullshit that you usually only find in F2P games.

The demo on Stadia worked great, Stadia should leverage this and just be a thing to play demos on, OR become a netflix service.

wipeout364

I also dislike majority and Ubisoft games but if they do make good game (Mario + Rabbits) I’m willing to give it chance. But in my honest opinion, I don’t think Immortals Fenix Rising is one of them......for me at least.
I agreeing with you. The previews look good.

ripeavocado

Banned
it's a game without a soul, someone in corporate must have seen Zelda and got the idea to make a cheap version of it for all the consoles.

It's not bad but entirely forgettable.

Fbh

It's definitely one of the more interesting games they've released in a while, and some of the previews I've seen have sounded fairly positive.
But it's an Ubisoft game so I do expect repetition, checklist based game design, an open world with boring exploration and absolutely terrible story and storytelling.

But if impressions around here are good I'll give it a chance once it's $20.

Last edited:

wolywood

The game keeps getting compared to BoTW - and I see it - but I also got some Jak and Daxter vibes from the demo. Bright, cartoony/colorful open world with action platformer elements.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Reviews drop in 3 hours, FYI.

Arun1910

but since they basically removed stealth gameplay.

They did no such thing. If you can't play stealthy without the need to tag and wall hack enemies then that's a crutch for you, but stealth gameplay is not gone.

I primarily play stealth, use the Raven to see where archers are, animus pulse to get surrounding awareness, use benches to blend, bushes to hide, shoot down piles of rocks as distractions or lures, use the cloak to go into distrust areas unseen.

So yeah, bad take on your part.

betrayal

Banned
I played the demo on Stadia. It is similar to BotW (climbing, fighting and much more) and has little to do with the classic Ubisoft open world games (5000 icons for side missions etc on the map). Much of what you can get can only be discovered by exploring, which i like. At least that was the case in the demo. I found the fights, the setting and the controls surprisingly good.

I’ve watched the Game Informer, Gamespot, ACG, SkillUp, and Easy Allies reviews that dropped this morning and they were all very positive

Ubi has a winner here. I’m down day one now

oagboghi2

it's a game without a soul, someone in corporate must have seen Zelda and got the idea to make a cheap version of it for all the consoles.

It's not bad but entirely forgettable.
Why is this considered bad? BoTW was a hugely popular game, so of course elements of it will be copied.

It seems sit to hold anything against this game for borrowing elements from BoTW. Especially when the Valhalla is so shamelessly ripping off elements of Witcher 3, and no one one minds, because of course they would copy a hugely popular game like that.

Reading the reviews, it’s a puzzle heavy game and I haven’t got the enthusiasm for that stuff these days, that’s not a knock against it obviously more to do with my mind set. Maybe after a price cut I’ll check it out.

Also disappointed they made the demo Stadia exclusive.

BigBooper

It looks cool to me, but definitely wouldn't preorder it unless you found a good discount for preordering or something. Might as well wait to see what the general opinion is.

Saber

Gold Member
After seeing a bunch of gameplay videos and stuff, this game doesn't look like a big deal at all(visuals, art and gameplay). Wouldn't waste my money on that even if they came as a cheap price.
That being said, reviews for this game are fair so...might be just a matter of taste or another reason entirelly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom