• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it time to revisit our NeoGAF profile pages?

I can't wait for NeoNeoGAF. I love GAF's simplicity and how clean it us to use - I hope that isn't negatively impacted with the transition - but I'm confident that nothing that's taken this long will be unsatisfactory.

Unless of course there is no dark theme, in which case I will climb in an aquarium and refuse to come out.

Shadio

While everyone's saying what they'd like to see, I'd quite like an option to switch the date format to DD/MM/YYYY.

Apparently less than half the site's traffic is from America, which means the majority of users use an acceptable date format, but there's no support for them :(

I want a customizable page where I can place a header, a nice intro text and add some cool features like an autoplaying music player and a tiled sparkle gif background.

AColdDay

I wish that Neogaf had a feature where you could select a game and platform that you are playing right now, and that other Neogaf members who are playing that game would display with their Steam ID/PSN account/XBL/NNID info.

Like if i wanted to play Marvel Ultimate Alliance Co-Op on the Xbox, I would put that there, and everyone could see "Hey jred250 is looking for someone to play Marvel Ultimate Alliance with". It would be cool to find new ways to connect members like that, especially for older games that have a dead or dying multiplayer element.

Honestly, having 1:1 mobile functionality is what I hope for the most. MobileGAF is missing so many crucial features, but didn't I read that most of GAF is accessed through the mobile site now? I thought I remembered reading that during the ad monitoring phase.

No polls! I've missed so many funny polls! UGH!

Accoun

Posting again to see if anyone knows what happened to the feature that showed everyone that quoted you.

You mean like "find who quoted you" that was removed due to server strain? Or showing your quotes in other peoples' posts in green, which is still there?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I would pay no problem just tell me where to sign.

You mean like "find who quoted you" that was removed due to server strain? Or showing your quotes in other peoples' posts in green, which is still there?

both animated avatars and 'find who quoted you' were really resource-heavy.

so i think for like $35 a year you should get NeoGAF Gold with both of these features. i think that sounds like a reasonable amount to cover the cost.

both animated avatars and 'find who quoted you' were really resource-heavy.

I am glad there are no animated avatars. The screen crawling with flashes and jitters is a really horrid experience.

But Who Quoted Me is a feature I really badly want. Every day I checked my subscribed threads (because threads auto subscribe on mobile, or something) and zip through everything that's updated to make sure nobody has quoted one of my posts that requires a reply.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I am glad there are no animated avatars. The screen crawling with flashes and jitters is a really horrid experience.

But Who Quoted Me is a feature I really badly want. Every day I checked my subscribed threads (because threads auto subscribe on mobile, or something) and zip through everything that's updated to make sure nobody has quoted one of my posts that requires a reply.

Just enter "quote=yourusername" in search and select to show posts. The function is basically still here.

LoveCake

We'll be err... eventually migrating to a new forum software, so a lot of interface improvements should happen when that actually hits. We are very aware that stuff is outdated and some things are pointless. Lol. Not sure if anyone actually uses profile info though, but what I really wonder is how many people use the FRIEND feature. I know I don't, and whenever I see a friend request on GAF when I check my User CP once every decade, I just laugh.

I have added some friends on here, but I have never received a friend request, does it pop-up or something?

I also don't know what having a friend does other then having them in a list so you can click on their profile.

I did have my gamer-tags on here but I prefer to know who is wanting to add me, so if a request is sent they would put GAF and/or there GAF username in the request.

Is there going to be a donation option or subscriber option for GAF, I know you probably won't be able to answer this, but it would be nice to know what the GAF bosses are thinking of introducing, there are no doubt many here that have ideas on what they would like or improvements, I have a few and I have toyed with the idea of sending a PM to some staff and even the owner, but I was unsure on how these would be received.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I have added some friends on here, but I have never received a friend request, does it pop-up or something?

There's no notification on GAF itself, no. You won't know that you've received a request unless you go to the Contacts & Friends page or have "Receive Friendship Request Email" enabled.

Is there going to be a donation option or subscriber option for GAF,

Yes.

blanchot

i have long since turn off forum avatars. it gives the forum a more uniformed look.

i have long since turn off forum avatars. it gives the forum a more uniformed look.

I consider a person's avatar their face. It is an essential part of the forum experience to me. I very strongly rely on avatars to identify and remember the personalities and mentalities of members here. People's avatars conjure up all kinds of feelings for me - friend and foe alike. My experience here would be far more impersonal if I couldn't see people's "faces."

I remember making my avatar when I first for approved here and putting a lot of thought in what I wanted it to be and what I wanted to "look like." I'll probably never change it because it's who I am.

daTRUballin

If this thread has taught me anything, it's that I'm not the only one who checks to see if anybody has replied to me in threads that I post in. A lot of people don't respond to my replies, so I thought most probably don't care as much. I thought I was weird or something. Glad I'm not the only one who cares. :p

Yohane

n3kuTY6.gif

Okay, real talk, can I change my email? I have this inactive school email but the only ones I have to switch it over are unpaid ones.

LoveCake

If this thread has taught me anything, it's that I'm not the only one who checks to see if anybody has replied to me in threads that I post in. A lot of people don't respond to my replies, so I thought most probably don't care as much. I thought I was weird or something. Glad I'm not the only one who cares. :p

I always check to see if anyone has replied to a comment I have made, it's difficult for me though as I can only get on in the evening on weekdays so it can be the next evening before I can reply to a reply.

I consider a person's avatar their face. It is an essential part of the forum experience to me. I very strongly rely on avatars to identify and remember the personalities and mentalities of members here. People's avatars conjure up all kinds of feelings for me - friend and foe alike. My experience here would be far more impersonal if I couldn't see people's "faces."

I remember making my avatar when I first for approved here and putting a lot of thought in what I wanted it to be and what I wanted to "look like." I'll probably never change it because it's who I am.

I agree, I have not changed mine other than I put a santa hat on my Mii around Christmas or the Iwata banner, it is much easier to recognise people via their avatar.

Maybe for Gold members they can put in their own tag under their username?

Okay, real talk, can I change my email? I have this inactive school email but the only ones I have to switch it over are unpaid ones.

You can do it, but be very careful, because you'll be unable to post or anything until you click a confirmation link in the NEW email. If it gets lost or delayed or deleted, you're stuck in an unapproved state and will need to contact an admin somehow.

daTRUballin

It's funny. I'm on my 4th avatar right now. I don't think I can ever just sit still with one avatar. Because once I have a great idea for an avatar, I always want to change it lol. I just hope most posters recognize me mostly by my username.

Blam

It's funny. I'm on my 4th avatar right now. I don't think I can ever just sit still with one avatar. Because once I have a great idea for an avatar, I always want to change it lol. I just hope most posters recognize me mostly by my username.

I hope people know me by my username by now. 3300 posts ain't for nothing now. I have a nice commission coming in for a new avatar so I hope people don't for get who I am lol.

We've already done it successfully, and got the conversion time down from a week to a few minutes so that the site won't have to go offline for very long during the live procedure.

Good to know I've only gotta refresh for a few minutes.

oni-link

I used to have some personal info up on my profile, mainly a link to a blog I used to run, but someone from GAF went on my blog and left a comment along the times of "stop making threads, all your threads are stupid and they annoy me"

So I took all that info off

And went on to make nearly 400 threads

LoveCake

NeoGAF Gold subscribers should get one free get out of jail ban card included with their subscriptions. ��

I know this is going widely of topic but a monthly sub would be the best option I would think.

For the profile pages what is the 'group' memberships all about?

Exr

The only time you should be checking profiles is to check someones average post per day count so you can figure out if they are a loser or not

JaseC

For the profile pages, it would be nice if you could put a little bio and also what games you are into or currently playing.

There is a biography section. It's limited to 101 characters, though, which may be smaller than your idea of "little".

Maybe GOLD members could have the option of a very limited number of smileys/emotes they could use in a post/comment?

That's not going to happen, not least of all because smileys have been and gone.

For the profile pages what is the 'group' memberships all about?

vBulletin's user group system allows the creation of public groups that users can request membership to, and the Group Memberships section lists any such memberships you have. There are no public groups on GAF, though; the section is just part of the design template.

I don't think GAF Gold should have any special benefits at all except for no ads and an optional Gold theme. There is no reason to put features behind a paywall. That's not in the spirit of the site. There should be no distinction of class among the GAF proletariat.

LoveCake

There is a biography section. It's limited to 101 characters, though, which may be smaller than your idea of "little"..

Yes I did have a look, I just think that the limit is a little small maybe, I did write one ages ago but there wasn't enough space, but hardly anyone has a bio anyway.

That's not going to happen, not least of all because smileys have been and gone.

Yes, I deleted the comment, as I think it would get out of hand thinking about it.

vBulletin's user group system allows the creation of public groups that users can request membership to, and the Group Memberships section lists any such memberships you have. There are no public groups on GAF, though; the section is just part of the design template.

I had always wondered if there were some sort of 'special/secret' groups.

I don't think GAF Gold should have any special benefits at all except for no ads and an optional Gold theme. There is no reason to put features behind a paywall. That's not in the spirit of the site. There should be no distinction of class among the GAF proletariat.

I agree, but wouldn't something to show you were a supporter like a icon next to the username encourage more people to support though?

JaseC

I had always wondered if there were some sort of 'special/secret' groups.

Well, there are, they're just hidden from plain sight. E.g. If you've ever seen Drinky Crow post and wondered how he's able to do so despite being banned, it's because he actually belongs to a user group designed specifically to give him the appearance of being banned. He originally just had a "Banned" tag, but when the username font colour of banned users was changed to grey, the joke had to be adjusted accordingly.

Col.Asher

I think NeoGAF should move to loot boxes for avatars and gifs.

I agree, but wouldn't something to show you were a supporter like a icon next to the username encourage more people to support though?

I think, if you want to support the site, you will. I don't think it should be a status thing in any sense. People looking at you shouldn't be able to tell if you're a premium member or not. These things create a bias - however minor. It's best that the decision to pay for GAF be kept a private one.

That's always been my feeling about it.

JaseC

Re: GAF Gold: EviLore's actually said a fair bit about what it'll look like.

On Gold-exclusive features:
I'm philosophically opposed to the notion of splitting off features or functionality behind a paywall arbitrarily just to better incentivize the paywall rather than as a result of necessary overhead or technical concerns; it's pragmatic business to incentivize it as much as possible, perhaps, but I'm not keen on companies doing it to me (core content stripped from a finished game by a publisher to sell separately as DLC, anyone?), so I'm not keen on doing it to you either.
I'd consider throwing in a user-side Gold theme toggle for Gold sub folks' personal browsing experience since that wouldn't mess with the considerations I mentioned and seems like the clear thing to do ...

On Gold subscribers being denoted in some way:
And I am also strongly opposed to disrupting social dynamics within the community by highlighting members based on whether they're going Gold or not, or introducing biases in the moderation team's perspectives by even showing them data on who has a Gold sub.

On how bans will change:
Note that banned posters would no longer be shut out of browsing the site normally while logged in (as they are now), most likely, to address any fairness concerns about eating a ban while a Gold sub is active etc.

dadjumper

Maybe also update the site to give you notifications when people reply to your post and quote you as well.

THIS AINT 2005 ANYMORE GAF

This would be ideal. I always wanna see if anyone's responded to something I said and I have to click through from my subscriptions and scroll around looking for that sweet sweet green quote

JaseC

This would be ideal. I always wanna see if anyone's responded to something I said and I have to click through from my subscriptions and scroll around looking for that sweet sweet green quote

Just search for your username; it's unique enough. That's usually the first thing I do whenever I return after an absence.

Blam

Even more then this I want an app for NeoGAF.

Oh, it was find who quoted you. Thanks for the explanation, didn't know it was removed due to server strain. It's a shame. Hopefully comes back sometime.

duckroll

Even more then this I want an app for NeoGAF.

An app seems pointless don't you think? NeoGAF is not something that needs a native app to run properly. The mobile site has lots of room for improvement in terms of 1:1 features for sure, but in the end isn't it better to have a good mobile site that can run well on any mobile browser of choice without needing anyone to install and run some silly app which would ultimately just be a sort of browser wrapper anyway?

Oh, it was find who quoted you. Thanks for the explanation, didn't know it was removed due to server strain. It's a shame. Hopefully comes back sometime.

It's a feature that we valued but had to take off for technical reasons, so if it's possible on the new forum software it'll definitely be in. Totally different situation from animated avatars which were removed for aesthetic reasons.

luulubuu

Why? if you want to support something you do it for the sake of it, not for a 14 px jpg next to your name

Top Bottom