• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it weird that I beat Chrono Trigger and don't remember this character? (spoilers)

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Did you actually beat the game? She is present in very very important moments in the story

And her sprite is very unique and sticks out like a sore thumb

E7uGuxf.jpg

7Th

She barely has a character, but shouldn't she be easy to remember simply because she is Magus' sister?

Adnor

Banned
She's important plotwise but isn't the most interesting character, I never cared about her, so I can see someone forgetting her.

You can replace her with a magic pot and nothing but Magus' main motivation would change.

(I never played Cross)

Seems weird to me that she could be forgotten for her story relevance. For someone with little actual screen time, she's a fairly central character. Then again I've played through Cross at least a couple dozen times and her story presence is arguably more pronounced there.

Seems weird to me that she could be forgotten for her story relevance. For someone with little actual screen time, she's a fairly central character. Then again I've played through Cross at least a couple dozen times and her story presence is arguably more pronounced there.

Look, if we're being real here, the story of Chrono Trigger isn't exactly mindblowing. It's a fun time travel adventure with fun characters. I barely remember the plot specifics.

kubev

I remembered who Schala is right away, but I also played Chrono Trigger enough times to see nearly every variation of every ending. I actually played so much Chrono Trigger that I have absolutely no desire to play it again. Great game. I just feel that I ran out of things to see.

night814

I think it has more to do with when Schala enters the game, I don't think the Zeal parts are the best of CT. I've always felt the game gets a little blurry after you first fight Magus then Lavos.

Uh. Why is Schala's name spoiler tagged?

I mean. Even ignoring the fact that this is a 20-something year old game and the statue of limitations on spoilers have definitely run out. What's the spoiler?

Look, if we're being real here, the story of Chrono Trigger isn't exactly mindblowing. It's a fun time travel adventure with fun characters. I barely remember the plot specifics.
My brother watches Game of Thrones at 1.5x speed so it takes less time while playing Runescape in another window. He also forgets characters and plot points wholesale sometimes.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
She's the most important character in both Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross. The entire story of both games only happens because of her.

I totally disagree. Frog's storyline, and Magus' are fantastic. The rest are good. I think maybe only Ayla's is weak (Though the prehistoric storyline is really interesting). There are some really fun NPCs, but the main cast is excellent.

I think Ayla's character suffers because she was the only one who didn't have a side-quest dedicated to her. Unlike the other characters (aside from Crono, I guess) she has no unfinished business to take care of. Her character doesn't receive further development after her main story arc is resolved.

A shame, because she has always been my favorite character.

I think it has more to do with when Schala enters the game, I don't think the Zeal parts are the best of CT. I've always felt the game gets a little blurry after you first fight Magus then Lavos.
Yup, same here.

Honestly, the whole Zeal stuff is where the story gets a bit too "JRPG" for me. The story didn't have the same charm as before at that point.

My brother watches Game of Thrones at 1.5x speed so it takes less time while playing Runescape in another window. He also forgets characters and plot points wholesale sometimes.
That's a long winded way of simply saying "you weren't paying attention!"

Nah, the story in CT isn't amazing. I liked the adventure, but the actual tale didn't keep me at the edge of my seat. Sorry, but I don't share the same nostalgia for this 20 year old game.

TheContact

I beat ff7 when I was 13 and Xenogears when I was 14-15. I did not understand shit about those games at the time. I didn’t really start grasping the story until multiple play through later in life. Chalk it up to bad translations and a brain that couldn’t comprehend long, linear storylines but I know what you’re talking about.

I don't know how you could forget her as she is in several main scenes that you can't skip. I wonder if you would also forget her if she was playable as she originally was going to be.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
i don't remember anything except the frog and the main guy with the goku haircut. i think there was also a cave woman or something. i drinks a bit so it's probably that.

That's a long winded way of simply saying "you weren't paying attention!"

Nah, the story in CT isn't amazing. I liked the adventure, but the actual tale didn't keep me at the edge of my seat. Sorry, but I don't share the same nostalgia for this 20 year old game.
This is not a term that applies to games that received universal acclaim by contemporary reviews and players. The game was considered a masterpiece 20 years ago, regardless of whether or not you were around to bear witness.

Tuorom

Neo Member
I played through what I thought to be the entirety of Chrono Trigger when I was 16 and I don't remember
Schala
at all.

I even followed one of the GameFAQs guides to go through all of the sidequests.

Am I insane or is it at all possible that I missed all content revolving around them?

Nah I don't think it's weird. She's part of the main quest, but only for a little while. It's a little hard to believe though because her theme is so damn good.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
I only remember that she was a princess and was
Magus's sister
. I haven't played Chrono Trigger in 17 years though.

Pandy

Just the other day I remembered that these were a thing and wondered if anyone used them.
I used one for Super Mario 64.

There being 2 Stars in the Princess' Secret Slide was bullshit. It was the very first thing the person on the hotline suggested, so I'd bet a lot of people did the same.

royox

Just the other day I remembered that these were a thing and wondered if anyone used them.

When I was 5 I had to call because in Rogue Squadron 64 I didn't know how to beat the first AT-AT.

Never seen the movies before so I didn't knew about the harpoons.

Top Bottom