• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it worth getting a 12GB PS3

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
Basically the above, assuming I wuld get a bigger HDD when I needed it.
And is a PS3 just worth it for the exclusives, if so what should I get?

KillGore

12gb or 120gb? Anyways, if it's cheap (the 12gb that is) then I say go for it.

Get the Uncharted franchise, God of War 3, Journey, Ni No Kuni, among other games.

DarҖaoZ;46853077 said:
A 12 GB PS3?

12 GB?

Its used and someone put a 12GB HDD inside instead?

How much useable data is in the 20gb PS3? maybe he means that

Edit:

They sell 12GB's PS3 in Europe. I think its onboard flash memory, but I'm not 100%.

whoah

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
DarҖaoZ;46853077 said:
A 12 GB PS3?

12 GB?

They sell 12GB's PS3 in Europe. I think its onboard flash memory, but I'm not 100%.

kevinski

Banned
Haha. I really hope that isn't a typo and that someone's actually reselling a PlayStation 3 that he/she swapped a 12GB hard drive into.

They sell 12GB PS3 in Europe. I think its onboard flash memory, but I'm not 100%.

EDIT: I didn't know this. Interesting.

AOC83

Banned
Basically the above, assuming I wuld get a bigger HDD when I needed it.
And is a PS3 just worth it for the exclusives, if so what should I get?

Depends on the price . If you get a cheap PS3 with HDD take it, the 12GB won´t last long.

Exclusives are top notch, so yeah it´s worth it, especially if you consider the mind blowing stuff coming this year.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Sounds like a fine idea. I'm sure you can buy a 7200RPM laptop drive and slap it in there for much less than the cost of buying the pricier versions, correct?

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
Just be prepared to buy an HDD really soon, but yeah I don't know that you like but there are a lot of exclusives like Uncharted, God of War, LBP, Journey, just to name a few that I enjoyed quite a bit.

Edit: Somewhat beaten by Killgore, off to get Ni No Kuni this weekend!

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
12gb or 120gb? Anyways, if it's cheap (the 12gb that is) then I say go for it.

Get the Uncharted franchise, God of War 3, Journey, Ni No Kuni, among other games.

How much useable data is in the 20gb PS3? maybe he means that

Speaking of Ni no kuni, is there a combat video for it?

And thanks, how do you get PSN games, is there a point system on there or is it just cash?

How much money? And does it still have a dock for a HDD?

It does, and it's £170 now, £50 cheaper than the others.

Just be prepared to buy an HDD really soon, but yeah I don't know that you like but there are a lot of exclusives like Uncharted, God of War, LBP, Journey, just to name a few that I enjoyed quite a bit.

Edit: Somewhat beaten by Killgore, off to get Ni No Kuni this weekend!

Can you get laptop HDD for PS3?

Foshy

DarҖaoZ;46853077 said:
A 12 GB PS3?

12 GB?

large.jpg

HDDs are pretty cheap so it's an option, but make sure to get one. 12 GB won't get you anywhere in the long run.

GulAtiCa

12GB? that's kinda small... My 320 GB has prob 150GB of data. Granted I have PS+.

I recommend not getting it unless it's very cheap.

NotLiquid

Not if you're planning to download a lot. And there's a lot to find on the PSN store.

Though if you can add more memory then sure.

"Oh, hey, let's make fun of a typo"

thisisneogaf.gif

I had an 80GB fat PS3 and replaced it with a 160GB slim when the fat died and never filled either hard drive, but the 360 is my primary and, on that system, the 250GB is at its limit and I have to uninstall a game when I get a new one.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
If you can get a 12GB PS3 and a bigger HDD cheaper than just getting say a 250GB or 500GB PS3, then go for it, but 12GB isn't going to last you long at all.

I'm surprised so many on here didn't know the 12GB PS3's were released.

Joni

You have to take it out to put in a larger HDD. At least if it was onboard it would've been some use as a fast reliable slice of storage.

Does it sit in the same bay? Because it still requires you to buy a seperate accessory to load a new HDD unlike in every other model.

Anyway, buy the 12 GB, stuff a 1 TB HDD in there.

Man I wish North America had this version going for sub $200. I guess Sony wants the casuals to pay more in the form of bundles. Talk about having options...

KillGore

Speaking of Ni no kuni, is there a combat video for it?

I'm sure there are many videos on youtube of it. I'll try and check some.

And thanks, how do you get PSN games, is there a point system on there or is it just cash?

You can buy PSN cards but it's not by a point system. You buy them on the Playstation Store. You could use your credit card too.

psn-card.jpg

Can you get laptop HDD for PS3?

Yes

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
If you plan on playing more than digitally downloaded games, 12 gb is not sufficient at all. It's good to start out with I guess, but if you play games that require an install, you might be able to fit 2 in there.

Tagg9

Don't they have deals on consoles with more HDD space? The 160GB SKU is on sale for $180 in Canada now.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone from the UK know a cheap HDD for PS3, since they don't have to be made by Sony (I'm not sure if that's right.)

DJ_Lae

12GB is uselessly small considering how many PS3 games have installs, to say nothing of patches. I don't even think you could play the initial release of GT5 with that PS3, for example, with its install and multiple patches.

I found my initial 80GB to be very tight once I started with PSN content. Even my current 320GB drive is full, though admittedly I've gone a bit nuts installing most PS+ content on top of the games I own.

Mr. RHC

No it isn't, you would have to upgrade to a larger HDD in no time. If you want to download and install games from PSN, 12 GB is nothing.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure there are many videos on youtube of it. I'll try and check some.

You can buy PSN cards but it's not by a point system. You buy them on the Playstation Store. You could use your credit card too.

psn-card.jpg

Yes

Thanks, if anyone from the UK knows where I could get a cheap HDD I would appreciate it.

What is the cheapest PS3 model out there? There are a few exclusives I want like Ni No Kuni, Dragon's Crown, 3D dot heros and Demon souls, the prices I'm finding are insane for a such an old console.

12GB is onboard flash? Install 1 game and thats it. Definitely need to get a HDD with it. I'm still using my 60GB and I delete stuff all the time.

cjkeats

If you're just going to mostly watch blu-rays and game a small amout, then yeah.
There were rumours of a tiny PS3 for cheap coming right before e3, and I was all prepared to get one for my parents who don't have a blu-ray machine yet, so I don;t have to lug my PS3 home for the holidays.

But if you want lots of games it's a little restricting, given the mandatory installs on some games and what not But upgrading when you're ready is fine too, I started with a 360 arcade, upped to a hard drive when I needed it.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
If you're just going to mostly watch blu-rays and game a small amout, then yeah.
There were rumours of a tiny PS3 for cheap coming right before e3, and I was all prepared to get one for my parents who don't have a blu-ray machine yet, so I don;t have to lug my PS3 home for the holidays.

But if you want lots of games it's a little restricting, given the mandatory installs on some games and what not But upgrading when you're ready is fine too, I started with a 360 arcade, upped to a hard drive when I needed it.

I do plan on using it for blu-rays since I don't have a blu-ray machine yet, and after seeing The Avengers in blu-ray, I think I need one.

Don't get a 12Gb.

It's almost unusuable as anything other than a media centre due to reserved space (12 Gb is not 12GB) and compulsory game installs.

To add a HDD you need to buy an official HDD caddy, which really should come with it but for some stupid reason doesn't, which is going to cost you at least a tenner.

You can buy 500GBs for just under £200 - with a game! - from shopto.

Spend the extra £30 and get a 500Gb.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
Don't get a 12Gb.

It's almost unusuable as anything other than a media centre due to reserved space (12 Gb is not 12GB) and compulsory game installs.

To add a HDD you need to buy an official HDD caddy, which really should come with it but for some stupid reason doesn't, which is going to cost you at least a tenner.

You can buy 500GBs for just under £200 - with a game! - from shopto.

Spend the extra £30 and get a 500Gb.

I looked on shopto and thought they must not sell consoles (I'm really bad at looking), do you have a link?

Just remember this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009CV1OVC/

It isn't included with the 12GB.

Is that included with other versions?

Oemenia

Banned
Does it sit in the same bay? Because it still requires you to buy a seperate accessory to load a new HDD unlike in every other model.

Anyway, buy the 12 GB, stuff a 1 TB HDD in there.
IIRC it does, again given the read speeds and failure rates of normal HDDs, it would've been quite useful especially when it comes to modding in the future.

Mik3F

I bought a 12gb model and put my own HDD into it. You don't have to use the official caddy to install a HDD

Top Bottom