• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it wrong to buy something knowing you will return it?

Is it wrong? Should I?

• It's wrong and you should feel bad for even thinking about it.

Votes: 32 55.2%
  • It's wrong but do it

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Nothing wrong with it but don't do it

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Is OK. Do it.

Votes: 18 31.0%

• Total voters

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I'm in a bit of a pickle atm and need a new phone. My phone is dead so i'm now using this phone:

SNOK206TESC_l.jpg

i bought it 7 years ago as a back up. it's meant to have internet but i never could get it working. even if it did work it only supports 2G internet. the only good things about it are the insane battery life and durability. i have an iPhone 12 Pro Max pre ordered but it won't arrive for another 2-3 weeks. you can see where this is going... i was thinking about ordering an iPhone SE or XR and using it then returning it within the 14 day refund window.

i've never done this before and it feels wrong but at the same time... apple does allow it so i shouldn't feel too bad.

it's brutal right now with this silly little phone. it's so quiet i can hardly hear it ringing. voices are garbage in calls. i can't get on the internet. i need to use my desktop PC for everything. when i'm out i'm totally disconnected from the interweb. i need my internet fix.

how many of you have done this?

lock2k

Banned
I'm in a bit of a pickle atm and need a new phone. My phone is dead so i'm now using this phone:

SNOK206TESC_l.jpg

i bought it 7 years ago as a back up. it's meant to have internet but i never could get it working. even if it did work it only supports 2G internet. the only good things about it are the insane battery life and durability. i have an iPhone 12 Pro Max pre ordered but it won't arrive for another 2-3 weeks. you can see where this is going... i was thinking about ordering an iPhone SE or XR and using it then returning it within the 14 day refund window.

i've never done this before and it feels wrong but at the same time... apple does allow it so i shouldn't feel too bad.

it's brutal right now with this silly little phone. it's so quiet i can hardly hear it ringing. voices are garbage in calls. i can't get on the internet. i need to use my desktop PC for everything. when i'm out i'm totally disconnected from the interweb. i need my internet fix.

how many of you have done this?

I said it was wrong in the poll. But it's Apple we're talking about, so fuck them :messenger_tears_of_joy:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I think the bigger problem here is that you can't seem to go 2 weeks without internet on your phone. Are you on your phone you're out with others? What would you do if the internet wasn't there?

i'd kill myself if i didn't have internet. i have no friends so haha no i don't use it when i'm out with others. my phone is part of me. i can't live without it. i need my phone to be happy. without my phone i am nothing.

H4ze

The first fault is obv. buying Apple products, but who cares.
As someone working in the sales industry I can tell you that we do not fucking love you for buying something, just to bring it back used, it just makes you an absolute asshole.

But as long as you can live with that, go for it, we are cheating the system all the time too, we do expect customers to cheat too, therefore, fuck it, do it.

i'd kill myself if i didn't have internet. i have no friends so haha no i don't use it when i'm out with others. my phone is part of me. i can't live without it. i need my phone to be happy. without my phone i am nothing.
Bro, maybe practice going for periods without it. Try getting some books or starting some hobbies. Carpentry is something I've wanted to try. Maybe trying something like that.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
The first fault is obv. buying Apple products, but who cares.
As someone working in the sales industry I can tell you that we do not fucking love you for buying something, just to bring it back used, it just makes you an absolute asshole.

But as long as you can live with that, go for it, we are cheating the system all the time too, we do expect customers to cheat too, therefore, fuck it, do it.
haven't actually bought an iPhone since 2011 but OK.

i'm not gonna do it. i'm sure i can go 2-3 weeks without a smartphone. like i said i felt bad about the idea of it. it was just something that crossed my mind and thought it'd be interesting to see what people thought.
Bro, maybe practice going for periods without it. Try getting some books or starting some hobbies. Carpentry is something I've wanted to try. Maybe trying something like that.
lol i wasn't being serious if you couldn't tell.

it feels kinda good not having my eyes glue to a phone all the time. i actually have been reading a lot. see above...it was just a thought that i had. i'm not gonna buy a phone and return it. was curious if people did it and what people thought of it.

DESTROYA

It’s a scumbag move knowing this is part of your plan.
As a person who does not own a cellphone I can say it’s absolutely refreshing not having something to distract you every 2 minutes and you can get so much more shit done.

Reactions: MrS

notseqi

Didn't vote. I am not about using any kind of seller to get impressions on the product I am buying from them. I sent back stuff a little more deliberately, for valid concerns, than I would have done with a company less easy to deal with than Amazon, but my buying power had been put on to keep the item I decided on.

It’s a scumbag move knowing this is part of your plan.
As a person who does not own a cellphone I can say it’s absolutely refreshing not having something to distract you every 2 minutes and you can get so much more shit done.
Just put it somewhere to your left, where you don't see it. Notification sounds are all off, forever. Mine doesn't have a notification LED which has been refreshing as fuck.

Last edited:

Breakage

Used to do it all the time with Electronic Boutique's 14-day returns policy. Got to play a lot of new PS2 games as a result.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Just do it, it will make up for the charger you didn't get with your iPhone 12. Just enough trash in the landfill. Save the earthhhhhhh.

appaws

Banned
As a consumer, I hate when I buy something and it MIGHT have been a return. I am always digging to the back and looking for that perfect factory shrink wrap, which is better than when people try to redo it on a returned product.

I read threads from people on AVS Forum sometimes who go through 5-6 or more TV sets and keep returning them...not because of any flaw...just because they learn something else about specs or they change their mind. Fucking pisses me off. Retailers should not let that happen.

ive never done this...but ive always viewed the return period as like the try before you buy period. 99% of the time the person keeps the thing

nush

Gold Member
ive never done this...but ive always viewed the return period as like the try before you buy period. 99% of the time the person keeps the thing

That's the idea behind it to eliminate the fear of buyers regret.

teezzy

Banned
I'm torn between telling you to toughen up with the lackluster phone for a couple of week, and advising that if you adhere to the return policy and return something within 14 days fairly - there is no shame

As someone who is corporate bad guy for a living, believe me, we don't care about you.

appaws

Banned
I'm torn between telling you to toughen up with the lackluster phone for a couple of week, and advising that if you adhere to the return policy and return something within 14 days fairly - there is no shame

As someone who is corporate bad guy for a living, believe me, we don't care about you.

Good point.

JimiNutz

Banned
Corporations do everything that they can to maximize profits and efficiencies.
Any trick or loophole that they can exploit, they will.

As a consumer you should also exercise every right available to you. There's nothing wrong with what you're suggesting. If the product is good enough maybe you'll keep it.

Nymphae

Banned
Just go 2 weeks without a top of the line smart phone, you still have a phone.

Would you want to buy a phone that you knew was second hand? If not, why?

I know this will sound "do-gooder" perhaps, but I think you ought to imagine how you would feel were you this business owner. I'm not saying these big companies are like "mom and pop's", but in my humble (and arguably naive) opinion, it's best to imagine how the behavior/words would feel to you, were you on the other side of the interaction. And I certainly don't live up to any notion of perfection myself. But I think in the best world we all treat each other with that type of consideration/empathy. It may seem small, but all our energy spills over into each other, forming a web that we "feel" as our world/environment. We create our collective conditions with innumerable little words and deeds. One person doing one good thing won't change the world, but it's certainly better than contributing to a greater negativity.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Walmart sells burn phones. Keep your service on hold for a while. Do you have a backup in the cloud?

I’m sure those Apple employees really care. They charge your card for $1,000 or more on their own iPhone after making you wait outside in the cold until one of their Apple experts lets you in. I think generations of people could cease to exist, but that one dude who wears all orange will ring someone up for a $1,000 phone.

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
It's not anything close to a scumbag move to cheat a multibillion-dollar company, especially one that charges you for its branding rather than the quality of its goods, and any way you can win against them is fair.
But phones are sucking the life out of the public, and a dopamine detox will set you on the path to enlightenment. You are going to get through this, and you will come out evolved. You shall live off the glory of the searing sun and the lands and faces of that which surrounds you, the sight of which makes weaker men shrivel, setting their eyes instead upon the bright masters that reside in their pockets. You can liberate yourself. You have my belief in you, and more importantly, you have your inner strength. Godspeed, blly155.

As a consumer, I hate when I buy something and it MIGHT have been a return. I am always digging to the back and looking for that perfect factory shrink wrap, which is better than when people try to redo it on a returned product.

I read threads from people on AVS Forum sometimes who go through 5-6 or more TV sets and keep returning them...not because of any flaw...just because they learn something else about specs or they change their mind. Fucking pisses me off. Retailers should not let that happen.
Does your tongue feel good licking that corporate boot? How many customers would buy things if they couldn't return anything? I say its wrong to do it to small business but billion dollar corps? Fuck outta here.

SpartanN92

Banned
If you’re buying from a commission based rep then you’re basically scum. If it’s Walmart or something then it’s nbd

appaws

Banned
Does your tongue feel good licking that corporate boot? How many customers would buy things if they couldn't return anything? I say its wrong to do it to small business but billion dollar corps? Fuck outta here.

Bullshit. You are fucking over other consumers who end up buying your used and returned shit. People should be able to return things, of course, but serial abusers using it as a rental or try before you buy place should be told to "fuck outta here," as you eloquently put it. They should charge a restocking fee for returns when the product is not defective.

Anyway, the corporate boot argument is bullshit as well. The scale of who you are doing it to does not change the underlying morality. Corporations are groups of people who provide goods and services in exchange for money, just like any mom and pop business writ large.

You are essentially making the same (wrong) argument that people make to try to justify game piracy.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
You are essentially making the same (wrong) argument that people make to try to justify game piracy.
No.
The returns policies exist to be used. There's no shame in using them.

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
Right and wrong is merely a human construct.

But don't do it. Embrace the brief period of internot for it may never come again. Maybe you can learn sth from it.

Top Bottom