• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is James the worst character on Twin Peaks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think, as long as you keep in mind the writers are pretty much parodying soap operas, it makes season 2 more enjoyable overall. It's just sometimes they hit it a little too on the nose. Lol

blamite

I'd say Windom Rarle was the worst character.
He was like a random cartoon villain, just like they took just about every b tier villain trope and splashed it together. He wasn't menacing at all and ruined what could have been a lot more suspenseful storyline.
And those soap operaish old silver haired guys, Thomas Ackard and that Thomas Fellow were pretty crap too, they felt so cliche and out of place.
Winding Earle was bad, but the payoff at the end of season 2 makes it totally worth it when David Lynch comes back and basically just says "no, fuck it, fuck that guy, his storyline was fucking dumb and now he's gone." I'm on mobile or I'd post a link, but look up the original script to the season 2 finale shows just how garbage that almost was.

Nemmy

I always hated Donna the most. If they were going for a "stupid melodramatic teen" with her, then boy did they hit the nail on the head. And you knew that when Donna goes on an investigation, it's gonna end up with someone dead or in a hospital (the orchids dude, the psychiatrist,
Ben Horne
).
But James is a close second. Very punchable.

What was the deal with that again? Lara Flynn Boyle was jealous or something? It would have been so much better if Cooper had to save Audrey from the Black Lodge.

I thought they gave up on that plot because they realized a grown man banging a high schooler was not exactly a good idea for romance, particularly for a character like Coop.
Then again, Nadine subplot. I guess it's OK as long as the roles are reversed? :|

Ran rp

I always hated Donna the most. If they were going for a "stupid melodramatic teen" with her, then boy did they hit the nail on the head. And you knew that when Donna goes on an investigation, it's gonna end up with someone dead or in a hospital (the orchids dude, the psychiatrist,
Ben Horne
).
But James is a close second. Very punchable.

I thought they gave up on that plot because they realized a grown man banging a high schooler was not exactly a good idea for romance, particularly for a character like Coop.
Then again, Nadine subplot. I guess it's OK as long as the roles are reversed? :|

Aren't all or most of the characters 18+? In fact, I don't remember seeing any children in the show except for Mrs. Tremond's creepy grandson.

Nemmy

PSY・S;165096036 said:
Aren't all or most of the characters 18+? In fact, I don't remember seeing any children in the show except for Mrs. Tremond's creepy grandson.

Audrey was supposed to be 17 in the pilot episode apparently.
I don't think there would be anything bad about a Coop and Audrey romance arc the way it was originally intended; but I think it worked out fine the way it did, too: a highschooler falls for a super handsome FBI agent - the agent turns her down because he sees her as young and naive.

http://www.avclub.com/article/sherilyn-fenn-talks-david-lynch-and-how-twin-peaks-200898
I love Billy Zane, I think he’s a sweetie, but… it was a silly thing that Audrey Horne and Agent Dale Cooper didn’t stay together, because that’s what should’ve happened. It happened organically, without anyone making a plan for it to happen. But they had to stop it because… [Takes a deep breath.] People got mad and jealous and… it was just stupid. Ugh.

AVC: People on the show got mad and jealous about the characters staying together?

SF: Yes! I… I’m bad. I’m not supposed to say it. But David knows I tell what happens, and what happened was that Lara [Flynn Boyle] was dating Kyle [MacLachlan], and she was mad that my character was getting more attention, so then Kyle started saying that his character shouldn’t be with my character because it doesn’t look good, ’cause I’m too young. Literally, because of that, they brought in Heather Graham—who’s younger than I am—for him and Billy Zane for me. I was not happy about it. It was stupid.

Yeah I would be cool without Donna in the new season, just say she fell down a elevator shaft or something 24 years ago.

They also need to get James Roday a cameo on there.

Audrey was supposed to be 17 in the pilot episode apparently.
I don't think there would be anything bad about a Coop and Audrey romance arc the way it was originally intended; but I think it worked out fine the way it did, too: a highschooler falls for a super handsome FBI agent - the agent turns her down because he sees her as young and naive.

I simply wish Coop and Audrey got together, if for no other reason that that idiot Billy Zane character getting to take her v-card. He did not deserve her, and he especially didn't deserve that.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Tangentially related, but I couldn't make it through season 2 on my rewatch. This show has a really weird arc and it kind of drops off a cliff after Leland gets got. But yeah James sucks.

Erevador

They should get Moira Kelly to play Donna in the new season if they use the character. She played her in Fire Walk With Me, and still looks like a normal person. It is actually much more believable that Flynn Boyle's Donna would grow up to look like 2015 Moira Kelly than like Flynn Boyle herself.

Plastic surgery has rendered her totally unrecognizable.

I really liked James/Donna/Maddie. OT3. <3

Windom Earle was the worst.

Winding Earle was bad, but the payoff at the end of season 2 makes it totally worth it when David Lynch comes back and basically just says "no, fuck it, fuck that guy, his storyline was fucking dumb and now he's gone." I'm on mobile or I'd post a link, but look up the original script to the season 2 finale shows just how garbage that almost was.

That doesn't make up for all the dreadful screentime he got for so many episodes.

Looking back on the show I had always thought that it held itself together pretty well up until Leland's story ends. I started my rewatch last week and realized I was off by about seven or eight episodes. Aside from the Laura Palmer plot, Coop, and a couple of other characters the show turned to shit soon after the start of season two. I really want to watch the finale again, but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to power through the rest of the season, especially knowing what lies in front of me. I'm now cautiously optimistic for season three now, hopefully Lynch and Frost will be able to replicate that season one magic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom