• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is James the worst character on Twin Peaks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually don't describe faces as punchable. But that is one face begging to be punched. James on the Road is the worst sidequest.

At least Josie packard was hot.

Tenck

Super Nadine is the absolute worst. Followed by James and his sulking then fucking that one lady.

I almost gave up on the show in Season 2.

Ran rp

Super Nadine was dumb but it wasn't offensive. James is just awful. Also, yeah, that seductress stuff was bad too.

Mr_Zombie

People hate on Super Nadine arc? What? That arc was at enjoyable to watch (although sometimes cringe worthy) and I felt really sad about Nadine, Ed and Norma when Nadine turned to normal. The life of all three characters suddenly become miserable again. :(

But yes, James is the worst. I didn't mind him in the first season, but in S2 his whole arc was so boring.

Zekes!

At least Super Nadine is comical in its ridiculousness. And yeah I disliked Josie as the show went on but I never hated her.

James flat out sucks. He makes Drake seem harder than admantium....or at least iron.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I just finished watching the series a few weeks ago, and I am still reeling at how terrible that scene was.

I have always and will always love that scene.

The music in the show was so fantastic. So many memorable scenes filled with this just really unique sound, much of it apparently written by David Lynch, himself.

Roulette

Worst character is Cooper. By far.

By worst I mean best. Haha, worst. Can you imagine?

ACTUAL worst? You can make cases for most of the people in this thread, but most boil down to individual scenes.

Bobby - that fucking barking scene in the cell (also he jumps on Steve's car like the prick he is).
Donna - gives up early in season 2 and becomes an extra on Saved by the Bell.
Nadine - annoying in all her plotlines (and banging the high schooler is crazy).
Harry- his meltdown ("GED OUDDA HURRRRRR") after Josie animorphs into a fucking handle on a chest of drawers.
Josie - see above.
Pete - no complaints.
Mr Tojamura - wat.
Maddie - pretty terrible acting overall.
Leo - likewise, but worse.
etc.

But yeah, it's James.

Fun fact - the RCMP (Mountie) officer who comes to arrest Cooper is Chuck Cunningham of 'Chuck Cunningham Syndrome' fame.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I'm just watching this Twin Peaks for the first time and 15 episodes in I'd say the most annoying character is Nadine. I want to switch off every time she is on screen and that was even before she went super apeshit.

Don't mind James that much but I'm watchin the series with German dub and his speaker is pretty good, so that may have something to do with it.

James fucking sucks.
Donna turns real dumb in season 2.
The Man Behind Glass is unconvincing and dumb.
Super-Nadine is awful.
Josie is dull.
Audrey loses her bite.
Catherine's disguise and reveal hurts my soul.
The Dick Tremayne paternity subplot is a waste of time.
Windom Earle is a short, unconvincing teddy bear of a moustache-twirler.
Harry's actor can't act, so why did they give him acting to do?
Even lovable Pete is sullied by season 2's badness.

But Denise/Duchovny is amazing. AMAZING.

latest

lol I died when he started singing. i did not expect that voice to come out.

terrible character, the worst on the show (jacques renaut sucks ass too tbh, sounds like pepe le pew) but it was worth it for that song.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
lol I died when he started singing. i did not expect that voice to come out.

terrible character, the worst on the show (jacques renaut sucks ass too tbh, sounds like pepe le pew) but it was worth it for that song.
Yeah, that scene was pretty intense. When I saw it the other day the first time I thought they're gonna hopp each other any minute. So much tension.

I don't know. Billy Zane's character is pretty terrible and very obviously shoehorned in after the Cooper/Audrey storyline got nixed.

James is one of the characters that had the unfortunate problem of only being interesting in his relation to Laura and Laura's death. Once you solve her murder and start looking for other things to do for that character it doesn't work. That goes for a lot of the cast. I actually don't mind James in the first half of the series (singing scene excluded) and think while kind of dopey, the character is pulled off well enough.

My concern for season 3 is that they haven't learned this lesson and bunch of unnecessary characters are going to be brought back as fan service for the hardcore fans.

Hopefully Lynch and Frost show some restraint. I do have hope after seeing the deleted scenes for FWWM. It showed that Lynch was able to cut the BS at the end of the day and keep out character appearances for the sake of character appearances.

Nope. I've never had a night's sleep ruined by nightmares of James. Bob, on the other hand....couldn't they have given him just one funny line?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
german dub tho? you haven't listened to the glorious real thing

hahahhaaaaa
The song is original even in the German dub. I honestly didn't think it was bad or anything. The voice didn't fit to him at all but otherwise I really liked this scene.

Guess this is classic #things you didn't know were bad before internet told you. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

npa189

I just slogged my way though season 1, and I think I'm one of those people who just doesn't get the show. I really like Cooper, but could give 2 shits about the rest of the cast. There are so many incidental characters who I don't even know their names and what they are adding to the plot. Should I even go onto S2? or does this go in my suck bucket?

I just slogged my way though season 1, and I think I'm one of those people who just doesn't get the show. I really like Cooper, but could give 2 shits about the rest of the cast. There are so many incidental characters who I don't even know their names and what they are adding to the plot. Should I even go onto S2? or does this go in my suck bucket?

If you don't like the first season then don't go on to S2. People who love S1 suffer through S2 to get to the last 2 eps. If you don't like S1 then stop there.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
So just over a year ago I had a rough breakup from this girl I was seeing and I was like "Fuck it, I'm gonna buzz my glorious, flowing locks and grow a beard." Yeah, it's a bit emo but whatever. You've got to be easy on yourself when you're going through shit, ya' know?

So ever since then my life has really been turning around. I liked the way hair looked short but I started seeing a woman about 9 months ago and she mentioned early on that she'd like to see what I looked like with longer hair. Eventually I was like "Okay, I'll stop keeping my hair short and grow it out so I can please this lovely lady I'm with."

So this is the point where I tell you that for pretty much from like 8-33 I had the same haircut mostly; and I'll shamefully tell you it was like the one Javier Bardiem had in No Country for Old Men. Yeah, what of it?

The problem, Gaf? Surely if I'm telling you all this in a motherfucking Twin Peaks thread I must have a reason.

So I'm growing my hair out and it isn't...growing like it used to. It used to be just straight as fuck, like a little dead girl from a Japanese ghost movie. Now it was all puffy like a baby bird's. So I'm thinking well okay, this is weird but I'm getting older and maybe this is some weird fucking thing. Of course things will be sweet if I just let it grow out more, weigh itself down a bit, and the beast will tame itself, right?

No, Gaf. No. To this very fucking day (And I DO intend to cut it this weekend) I have fucking baby bird head.

You might ask how this ties into Twin Peaks and specifically that despicable cad, James. Well, I've been wanting to watch TP for YEARS. I love weird shit but I fall asleep almost instantly if I try to watch TV or movies alone. So I'm in a healthy relationship now and I come to find out eventually that she's a big Lynch fan. This blows my fucking mind and I'm like "Baby girl, we gotta get our Twin Peaks groove on!". So over the course of time we are watching the whole series and Fire Walk with Me. We really enjoy it.

Of course we both hate James. Who doesn't fucking hate James? Even my 12 year old daughter is watching bits and pieces with us. She loves Coop, and she's always making jokes about coffee, pie, and owls. Lots of fun, Gaf, lots of fun.

So here comes a scene with fucking James with his fucking leather jacket and his emotions, and I can only assume a few tapes of The Smiths or The Cure or some shit in his back pocket. My daughter is with us and as soon as James stumblefucks his way on screen she's all like "Look, daddy, that guy has baby bird hair just like you!"

Man, fuck James.

Mr_Zombie

Just stop. The second season, once the murder case is solved, is even more about characters and their arcs (and it gets even weirder). If you didn't find the first season interesting, you will get bored and annoyed by the second season.

I thought Super Nadine was fine, the dumbness of it all fit at that point of the show. But I may be giving it the benefit of the doubt since this is the first time I heard the term 'Super Nadine'.

James was definitely the worst though. I remember always wanting scenes with him to be over with so we can see more...
giphy.gif

Erevador

James has AMAZING moments. Who can forget the song with Donna and Maddie? Classic Lynch madness. And I think he's actually good in his scenes in Fire Walk With Me. Like many actors on the show, he's noticeably better in the episodes Lynch directed.

The James on the road plotline is unbelievably awful though, and perhaps the low point of the whole show.

On the subject of truly unforgivable characters...

Super Nadine is one of the more unbearable creations to ever be foisted on the television public.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Before season 2? Nah I liked him. But holy cow that later half season 2 James screen time was painful.

I don't think people like to admit that the majority of Twin Peaks was filled with shit.

pretty much every recommendation of the show is like "1st season is good, 2nd season goes way downhill before it pays off with the last couple episodes."

and EX Nadine is way worse than James.

Mr_Zombie

I feel like Twin Peaks could accurately be described as a show that's good in spite of how terrible it is

You know... when you think about it a lot of characters, arcs or scenes from both seasons were terrible. And yet I still enjoyed the show (I watched it a year or two ago for the first time, so it's not nostalgia).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom