• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is James the worst character on Twin Peaks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My vote goes to Super Nadine, with James as a close second.

Special mention to this:

tumblr_m6k05iPzb31qe1wvco1_500.png

tumblr_nixusxePje1u0fg7mo1_500.gif

James is definitely the worst character when multiplied by significance/chunk of the story dedicated to him.

He's essentially one of the narrative's primary protagonists and he's just so ... awful.

atr0cious

Bobby's plotlines are the worst and are so far away from the rest of the plot, at least James was semi relevant. How did the Leo plot keep going after Season 1?

Will Fire Walk With Me make any sense if I didn't finish season 2? I remember stopping at somewhere with James riding his motorcycle and meeting some woman at a bar. Don't remember what episode that is.

I feel like Twin Peaks could accurately be described as a show that's good in spite of how terrible it is
Haha, yes. I love it. Seriously, would you really not want James and Super Nadine in TP? They form the very fabric of this sleepy yet mysterious logging community.

Speaking of, thoughts on Log Lady?

Hey, at least you could just mute the sound and feast your eyes on Donna.
giphy.gif

James was... meh. :/

Was it ever explained what (and why) the hell happened to her? In a movie filled with weird shit, this one still boggles my mind.
Yeah, LFB was very easy on the eyes. Just watched TP last year and could see why she became a star. Someone needs to start a "favorite babe of Twin Peaks" thread.

And yes, Josie's fate made no sense to me.

I wish ol' Mose Harper from the Searchers could've saved her.

Tagyhag

Was it ever explained what (and why) the hell happened to her? In a movie filled with weird shit, this one still boggles my mind.

IIRC it was never officially explained but most signs point to her soul being trapped in the wood of The Great Northern (As both Ben and Pete appear to see her) and that her body is trapped by BOB in The Black Lodge (According to some deleted scenes).

WoodWERD

I don't think people like to admit that the majority of Twin Peaks was filled with shit.

Thanks for posting this, you gave me the courage to speak up (/s). I watched season 1 a couple months ago and was soooo disappointed after reading all the gaf-love over the years. Almost started a LTTP thread but figured I'd never see GAF again if I ragged on TP. I tried to start S2 with hopes it got better, but pulled the ol' Seinfeld after the opening scene with injured Dale and the old man hotel employee. Looks like I'll need to find a video summary after seeing a few of these pictures.

rmdSx.jpg

Mr_Zombie

Someone needs to start a "favorite babe of Twin Peaks" thread.

There's only one queen.
tumblr_static_tumblr_m2m6ivjntl1qfo1o9o8_250.gif

IIRC it was never officially explained but most signs point to her soul being trapped in the wood of The Great Northern (As both Ben and Pete appear to see her) and that her body is trapped by BOB in The Black Lodge (According to some deleted scenes).

Thanks. Is there any option to watch those deleted scenes (or read about them)?

Thanks for posting this, you gave me the courage to speak up (/s). I watched season 1 a couple months ago and was soooo disappointed after reading all the gaf-love over the years. Almost started a LTTP thread but figured I'd never see GAF again if I ragged on TP. I tried to start S2 with hopes it got better, but pulled the ol' Seinfeld after the opening scene with injured Dale and the old man hotel employee. Looks like I'll need to find a video summary after seeing a few of these pictures.

Well, Twin Peaks isn't for everyone. And I'm not saying this as some elitist shit. The show just has this specific atmosphere of weirdness that you either love or hate.

roytheone

He's not great, but I hate this guy more:
twin-peaks-billy-zane.jpg

Billy Zane acts like shit and his character doesn't do ANYTHING. I wanted to skip every scene he was in.

-griffy-

Banned
He's not great, but I hate this guy more:
twin-peaks-billy-zane.jpg

Billy Zane acts like shit and his character doesn't do ANYTHING. I wanted to skip every scene he was in.
In the HD versions you can very obviously see the makeup seam where his wig attaches to his forehead. Which makes his character way funnier, like he's obviously wearing a bad wig but everyone is too polite to say anything.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
James fucking sucks.
Donna turns real dumb in season 2.
The Man Behind Glass is unconvincing and dumb.
Super-Nadine is awful.
Josie is dull.
Audrey loses her bite.
Catherine's disguise and reveal hurts my soul.
The Dick Tremayne paternity subplot is a waste of time.
Windom Earle is a short, unconvincing teddy bear of a moustache-twirler.
Harry's actor can't act, so why did they give him acting to do?
Even lovable Pete is sullied by season 2's badness.

I think this summary of s2 post reveal is accurate. But you forgot Ben Horne in the civil war. Pretty much any plotline post ep 7 is garbage. Before I got into Twin Peaks, I assumed its entire run would be great since it's held in such high regard, but I quickly realized it had to be for s1 alone. Once Lynch was gone, this show took a complete nosedive. I had to struggle to finish s2, can't take anyone who defends that mess seriously.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
James is definitely the worst character when multiplied by significance/chunk of the story dedicated to him.

He's essentially one of the narrative's primary protagonists and he's just so ... awful.
This is a reasonable way of looking at it.

I'd say the worst-overall, screen time aside, is Billy Zane. I don't even fucking remember his character's name and don't care to.

Almost as if they were both written in last minute to cover the sudden disappearance of the Coop/Audrey relationship.
What was the deal with that again? Lara Flynn Boyle was jealous or something? It would have been so much better if Cooper had to save Audrey from the Black Lodge.

hamchan

I think this summary of s2 post reveal is accurate. But you forgot Ben Horne in the civil war. Pretty much any plotline post ep 7 is garbage. Before I got into Twin Peaks, I assumed its entire run would be great since it's held in such high regard, but I quickly realized it had to be for s1 alone. Once Lynch was gone, this show took a complete nosedive. I had to struggle to finish s2, can't take anyone who defends that mess seriously.

Season 2 is great at the start, falls off a cliff midway and becomes great again in the final few episodes. I don't know anyone who doesn't agree with this.

blamite

Season 2 is great at the start, falls off a cliff midway and becomes great again in the final few episodes. I don't know anyone who doesn't agree with this.
Final few is a bit of a stretch since only the last episode is actually legitimately good. But even when the show is at its absolute worst, there's usually still at least one of two enjoyable parts to each episode.

The middle part of Season 2 is definitely best binge-hatewatched in one or two sittings though, or all motivation to keep living watching will be completely lost.

Final few is a bit of a stretch since only the last episode is actually legitimately good. But even when the show is at its absolute worst, there's usually still at least one of two enjoyable parts to each episode.

The middle part of Season 2 is definitely best binge-hatewatched in one or two sittings though, or all motivation to keep living watching will be completely lost.
This is pretty much right for me. I binge watched the series. But even the weaker, non-relevant story lines and characters seemed right in line for such a weird show.

And like everyone else, I just love Cooper. He is great throughout.

Mr_Zombie

I'd say the worst-overall, screen time aside, is Billy Zane. I don't even fucking remember his character's name and don't care to.

I completely forgot he was even in the show. I had to check on IMDB what character he was playing (and I still didn't remember who "John Justice Wheeler" was).

James fucking sucks.
Donna turns real dumb in season 2.
The Man Behind Glass is unconvincing and dumb.
Super-Nadine is awful.
Josie is dull.
Audrey loses her bite.
Catherine's disguise and reveal hurts my soul.
The Dick Tremayne paternity subplot is a waste of time.
Windom Earle is a short, unconvincing teddy bear of a moustache-twirler.
Harry's actor can't act, so why did they give him acting to do?
Even lovable Pete is sullied by season 2's badness.

This is pretty spot on.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm in the weird camp that likes Season 2 more than Season 1. I think the highs and lows are there, not all the side character arcs are winners, and there's a 3-4 episode low-point after the murderer is revealed, but I feel Twin Peaks wouldn't be what it is without the second season, and the absolute best and most memorable parts of the show also happen in the second season. I think there's just as many amazing episodes in Season 2 as there are in Season 1 (given, Season 2 is almost three times as long as Season 1).

Santar

I'd say Windom Rarle was the worst character.
He was like a random cartoon villain, just like they took just about every b tier villain trope and splashed it together. He wasn't menacing at all and ruined what could have been a lot more suspenseful storyline.
And those soap operaish old silver haired guys, Thomas Ackard and that Thomas Fellow were pretty crap too, they felt so cliche and out of place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom