• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

is japanese curry worth making without vegetables?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
It'll be a marginal step up from making Maruchan ramen without adding stuff to it.

clav

Just do it. If you need to thicken the curry, add flour or corn starch.

welp i goofed

put too many vegetables and now my pot is overflowing

IeFgyA3.jpg

Boil away some water and add in the cubes.

You'll know when it's done when it's to your liking. Taste the food you make.

Speaking of Japanese curry, I'm making it tonight. I notice that everyone kinda does one thing differently. What's your unique addition? I typically substitute regular potatoes for Japanese sweet potatoes. Imparts a light sweetness (not overpowering) to the Curry.

You could try Okinawan purple sweet potatoes although somewhat expensive. The yellow centered ones are good, too.

I was surprised that TJ's sells those white centered Japanese sweet potatoes.

Speaking of Japanese curry, I'm making it tonight. I notice that everyone kinda does one thing differently. What's your unique addition? I typically substitute regular potatoes for Japanese sweet potatoes. Imparts a light sweetness (not overpowering) to the Curry.

Depends on my mood, but I usually do thinly-cut pork with a whole minced onion(it mostly dissolves into the curry mixture. I omit the potatoes unless I'm really hungry, and then I add soy sauce, ketchup, tsuyu (a tablespoon or two of each) and sometimes honey to the roux.

Comes out with a real rich flavor like you'd get at a Japanese curry shop.

Qvoth

is it true that the secret to a good japanese curry is to use use 2 roux from different brands? think i've read about this from some manga, forgot where

Ahnez

Hint, when cutting the onions, leave some bigger slices so you can actually find them while eating. The smaller ones will disappear

Indicate

I always make indian and thai curries from scratch. I've made japanese curry once, but I used the curry roux which the recipe called for. Anyone know of a good japanese curry recipe where I don't have to use a premade roux?

johnsmith

remember me
What does adding peanut butter do to the curry?

It gives it a slightly nutty flavor that I find delightful, and can make it a little thicker. For those thinking it's weird, some brands actually already contain it, like Java.

You can also add cheese, think that sounds weird? Again, some brands already contain that too.

I also like adding honey and raisins to give it a bit of sweetness.

otapnam

Did u use the golden curry brand? If u look at the instructions it has amounts for both packs of curry paste. You need to use half the amount of water. I've made that mistake before

Hero

It gives it a slightly nutty flavor that I find delightful, and can make it a little thicker. For those thinking it's weird, some brands actually already contain it, like Java.

You can also add cheese, think that sounds weird? Again, some brands already contain that too.

I also like adding honey and raisins to give it a bit of sweetness.

That sounds interesting. I will have to try that out.

Also, people make this in slow cookers?

For a pot that size, use all the cubes. It'll be thick.

However when I added a bunch of veggies and chicken with a whole box it was still liquidy :/

Mendoza

1. Dude, get some better rice. That jasmine shit is weak.

2. Make the curry sauce first, then after the consistency is right, add your vegetables.

3. Thin out, tenderize, panko bread crumb, and fry your chicken next time. The chicken goes on clean on top of the rice.

You have much to learn.

8bit

Knows the Score
If it looks watery like that in future, leave it simmering on the hob for a bit longer. It should thicken if you're patient.

Brofist

1. Dude, get some better rice. That jasmine shit is weak.

2. Make the curry sauce first, then after the consistency is right, add your vegetables.

3. Thin out, tenderize, panko bread crumb, and fry your chicken next time. The chicken goes on clean on top of the rice.

You have much to learn.

Do you like your vegetables to crunch in your curry? I've never seen anyone make Japanese curry this way.

If you aren't sure always check Youtube for advice

Brofist

If it looks watery like that in future, leave it simmering on the hob for a bit longer. It should thicken if you're patient.

This. The number one amateur mistake when making sauces of any kind is not letting them cook long enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom