• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

is japanese curry worth making without vegetables?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Chungus

all i have is the japanese curry mix, white rice and chicken breast.

the box says i should add potatos, carrots and onions.

what do i do gaf?

Hero

Go out and buy some veggies. Get a bag of frozen mixed vegetables like peas carrots and potatoes even if you can't get fresh.

I'd still eat Japanese curry without vegetables but not ideal.

SalvaPot

tumblr_nvtppfl8Gr1r5zq6ao5_540.png

I do it all the time.

duckroll

If you want the full experience, then no it's not worth making without potatoes, carrots, and onions. If you just want the curry as a sauce to support the meal, it's fine. I would recommend at least having sliced onions in it, because it goes really well when you mix it with the rice. There's nothing wrong with having Japanese curry with rice and chicken meat, but you're definitely missing out on -something- without the veggies. :p

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I've been to places in Japan that dispense just the runny curry sauce with nothing much in it, so it's not like it's blasphemous. Personally I'd prefer vegetable, but sure... It's just a sauce at the end of the day.

It's gonna be real runny without the starch in the potatoes to thicken it up :/
Use less water. Depending on brand I sometimes use 2/3rds of what they advise.

No.

Just take the L and wait until you have those Veggies.

I tried it once and realized that the veggies add a lot of flavor to the roux. It's not the same man, not the same.

johnsmith

remember me
It's better with vegetables. Do you not have any at all? Even some canned corn or green beans or something is better than nothing. Also here's my secret protip: add peanut butter. Trust me.

BocoDragon

It's better with vegetables. Do you not have any at all? Even some canned corn or green beans or something is better than nothing. Also here's my secret protip: add peanut butter. Trust me.
Whaaaa. That's interesting..

Speaking of Japanese curry, I'm making it tonight. I notice that everyone kinda does one thing differently. What's your unique addition? I typically substitute regular potatoes for Japanese sweet potatoes. Imparts a light sweetness (not overpowering) to the Curry.

what do i do gaf?

I make curry all the time without potatoes which I find makes it too thick. Instead, we usually go without or use kabocha. Curry without onions, garlic and ginger should be illegal though.

I also add about a quarter to a half cup of coconut milk at the end. I don't know if that has an effect on thickening it.

I also like to add bell peppers at the end.

I'm looking forward to adding peanut butter the next time I make some.

Edit:

Guys, you should try homemade curry pan. It's fucking great.

what do i do gaf?

Curry sauce + meat + rice = train station curry.

Not the worst, but no ideal. Go for it if you hungry, but you're missing out on a lot by not having some veg in there. Don't even have a tin of veg anywhere?

BocoDragon

Fuck this thread is making me hungry, and I don't have time to cook.

I wish Japanese fast food curry was more widespread here in Vancouver...

Neol

While its fine your gonna be missing out on the flavor without the vegetables. Plus I feel it won't be that filling of a meal either.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
at the start I always put vegetables in it. now I am to lazy. I usually use beef..but chicken is also alright.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So what's a good ratio of curry blocks and starchy vegetables? I have some Golden Curry I bought but never used. The last time I tried them was years ago and the result was too... grainy. I think they weren't properly dissolved.

BocoDragon

So what's a good ratio of curry blocks and starchy vegetables? I have some Golden Curry I bought but never used. The last time I tried them was years ago and the result was too... grainy. I think they weren't properly dissolved.
Less to do with vegetables and more to do with water, I'd say.

I babysit my curry blocks after I put them in the boiling water, and make sure those things are well and truly dissolved before stirring them in.

Watch this. It will give you a good basis and once you're comfortable you can modify it to your tastes.

Resilient

yes you will be missing out. spice must flow. vegetables allow this process. your curry will not be make able with out natures nutrient blasters.

Oddly I recently made it with potatoes and carrots and onions, mushrooms. Hated it! My go to is dried shitake mushrooms and onions only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom