• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Just Dance more important than Assassins Creed for Ubisoft?

Bragr

Banned
It might be a more robust franchise than anything Ubisoft got.

It's their second or third best-selling franchise of all time, with over 120 million players worlwide. Just Dance 2021 sold similar numbers to Watch Dogs Legion with a fraction of the cost to make and saw significant growth over the 2020 version.

There have been a total of 24 Just Dance games in the last 12 years.

- It's A LOT cheaper and less risky than Far Cry or Assassin's Creed to develop.
- It's easy to pump out yearly iterations.
- It has a unique casual audience that buys it every year.
- Just Dance was so popular on the Wii they released new iterations up until 2020 on the system.
- It allows Ubisoft to connect with non-hardcore gamers outside of their other franchises.

Personally, I never played it and likely never will, it looks like complete fucking budget bullshit, it gets poor reviews constantly. But it has smart and accessible gameplay and is gonna continue to be a big earner for Ubisoft on a yearly basis for a very long time, without the mammoth budget and development time like an Assassins Creed game.

evHXP9.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:

lorddct

Can't ever go back to the franchise till they make a workaround to be able to use cameras in the next gen consoles! Having to go back to carrying the phone like a move controller has killed just dance

zaanan

Banned
It might be a more robust franchise than anything Ubisoft got.

It's their second or third best-selling franchise of all time, with over 120 million players worlwide. Just Dance 2021 sold similar numbers to Watch Dogs Legion with a fraction of the cost to make and saw significant growth over the 2020 version.

There have been a total of 24 Just Dance games in the last 12 years.

- It's A LOT cheaper and less risky than Far Cry or Assassin's Creed to develop.
- It's easy to pump out yearly iterations.
- It has a unique casual audience that buys it every year.
- Just Dance was so popular on the Wii they released new iterations up until 2020 on the system.
- It allows Ubisoft to connect with non-hardcore gamers outside of their other franchises.

Personally, I never played it and likely never will, it looks like complete fucking budget bullshit, it gets poor reviews constantly. But it has smart and accessible gameplay and is gonna continue to be a big earner for Ubisoft on a yearly basis for a very long time, without the mammoth budget and development time like an Assassins Creed game.

evHXP9.gif

giphy.gif
What about music licensing? I bet that costs a pretty penny.

Bragr

Banned
Can't ever go back to the franchise till they make a workaround to be able to use cameras in the next gen consoles! Having to go back to carrying the phone like a move controller has killed just dance
Yeah, the vast majority of the sales are on Switch where you can use the joy-con instead.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
For me the ONLY I ever liked from Ubisoft is Mario + Rabbits, I couldn't care less for rest of games they make.

TheRobot

I bought the 2020 one and realized the subscription service music videos didn't load from the hard drive but streamed online so it was a no no for my limited data package.

Last edited:
Top Bottom