• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Moana the best animated film Disney has ever made?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the exception of one poorly placed Twitter joke, I feel that this movie is an absolute masterpiece. It hits all the right notes at all the right times. The music is already iconic and I've been listening to the soundtrack every day with my daughter since we saw it last week.

The CG, particularly the water, is second-to-none. As are the character designs, which have a unique art style but retain a realism and relatability. We aren't looking at models and barbie dolls in this film.

The main character of Moana is perfectly modeled, from her personality and independence to her likability and actual body shape. She isn't without her flaws and learns and grows from them throughout the film. Her grandmother was a perfect addition and worked magnificently as a kind of a spiritual and emotional guide throughout the film.

I also love how bold it is from a storytelling perspective. Leaving Moana to become the leader and hero she was destined to be without having to resort to a forced love interest or a romantic subplot was an inspired move. Even the whole concept of the story itself, which doesn't feature a single Caucasian character and features songs that aren't sung in English, is (unfortunately) a very bold move in this cultural climate.

Lastly, the themes of the film, which touch on overcoming your fears and not being afraid to experience life, even when there's risk involved, as well as touching on the idea that your possessions are not your identity, and that your self worth is much more substantial than anything you can own, are very positive and poignant themes that I'm happy to subject my young daughter to.

Overall, this is most likely my favorite Disney film. When I think back and compare it to Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, etc... It holds the fuck up. This is destined to be a classic in my eyes.

Thoughts, GAF? Am I crazy or is this film one of the all-time Disney greats?

Seeing it Tuesday, I'll hand down my decree then.

I can't wait though, it certainly looks promising as hell, and I'm a big fan of Lin.

Zootopia is a top-tier Disney movie for me, of any era, so I'm certainly open to the idea of it being up there.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
It was really good. I'm not sure I'd say the best, but it's up there.

Disney Animated Studios is crushing it while Pixar over here coasting. I much prefer DAS output over Pixar the last few years.

TruHero

Banned
I took the family to see it on Black Friday.

Enjoyable enough, but I'd put it behind Zootopia and Frozen as far as Disney movies go. Inside Out was also a bit better.

Beautiful movie, though.

maxcriden

It was really good. I'm not sure I'd say the best, but it's up there.

Disney Animated Studios is crushing it while Pixar over here coasting. I much prefer DAS output over Pixar the last few years.

Totally agree! DAS has been knocking it out of the park.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What was the Twitter thing?

You know, everyone keeps mentioning that Twitter joke being a dud, but it got a big laugh in my theater and everyone in my party liked it and was quoting it afterwards. I guess to some people it will be the right kind of cheesy.

Mr. Hyde

I took the family to see it on Black Friday.

Enjoyable enough, but I'd put it behind Zootopia and Frozen as far as Disney movies go. Inside Out was also a bit better.

Beautiful movie, though.

That makes me nervous because I felt frozen was average despite it turning into such a phenomenon. I do love Zootopia though. I am still going to see Moana and hopefully love it.

TruHero

Banned
That makes me nervous because I felt frozen was average despite it turning into such a phenomenon. I do love Zootopia though. I am still going to see Moana and hopefully love it.

Different tastes & all. My daughter loved the other movies I mentioned, but wasn't crazy about Moana. She did enjoy the movie, though.

Personally, I really didn't care for Maui. Found him more annoying than funny.

How is the Villain?

I think another positive aspect of the film is that it doesn't have a traditional villian. Lots of shades of grey in this one.

Oh yeah that was in previews. Shame it doesn't sound better than it looked.

It's quiet literally a really stupid chicken. It actually works really well for laughs. There's some self awareness about it, too. "I'm not a princess!" ... "You're wearing a dress and you have an animal sidekick. You're a princess."

I think this blows Frozen and Tangled out of the park, and is superior to Zootopia. I enjoyed Zootopia but it doesn't feel like a movie that will hold up nearly as well as Moana in 20 years.

The story is a fairly conventional Hero's Journey.

The production design is spectacular and the songs are great.

I liked it and it's among the better films Disney has produced this decade, but I'm not ready to put it at the pinnacle.

Gorgeous film, great chicken sidekick, great songs in the forms of "You're Welcome" and "Shiny," but no, Disney's done better. Not even the best Disney animated movie this year.

Ascenion

I mean it's in the top ten for sure maybe top five, but it's not better than Aladdin or The Lion King or Beauty and the Beast. If we bring Pixar in it drops even lower behind Toy Story 3 da god.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I mean it's in the top ten for sure maybe top five, but it's not better than Aladdin or The Lion King or Beauty and the Beast. If we bring Pixar in it drops even lower behind Toy Story 3 da god.

Hate me, but I think the current DAS output of stuff like Moana and Zootopia is up there with the 90s output.

Ripenen

It was great, but like Zootopia it had odd pacing. Took awhile to get going and was a bit inconsistent. However, it did some amazing things. Fantastic music, amazing visuals, and also had a touching relationship between the two main characters that didn't feel creepy or weird (like it kinda did in Zootopia).

Also I wonder if this whole movie is marketing for Disney's Aulani resort in Hawaii because it sure made me want to go there.

Oh my GOD NeoGAF

Get some perspective of history

This company made Pinocchio for fucks sake

It's just you. Disney has been making animated films for nearly 100 years. Get a grip.
Believe me, I realize the significance associated with stating that this is the best film Disney has released. I fully appreciate Disney's history and I stand by my opinion that you can at least make an argument for Moana being the best.

Veelk

Banned
It was reminiscent of the Lion King for me, for various small reasons that combined to give a very similar feeling. For some, that's a negative, but I liked it.

Wow so it's really that good eh? I honestly wasn't left with thinking it could make a run for best ever based on the trailers. I haven't read any reviews, but GAF loves it.

I'm going to have to see it.

remember when the character moana was first introduced. and some guy on here was like id make moana moan?

uWjmai1.jpg

I remember LOL.

Wow so it's really that good eh? I honestly wasn't left with thinking it could make a run for best ever based on the trailers. I haven't read any reviews, but GAF loves it.

I'm going to have to see it.

qg6F7Wtl.png

It might look pretty and detailed, but the story was the cookie cutter and predictable. There are way better movies in the Disney pantheon. Better song, better story, better characters.

The Lamp

No it's not. That pirate scene was really poorly thought out, I did not think Maui was a very interesting character other than his briefly told backstory, and other than How Far I'll Go, the music is not in top-tier Disney. The CG is the best part of the movie, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom