• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is MS publisher of the year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its an amazing time for us gamers. As someone who games on all 3 of the consoles + PC I been running out of time and my backlog went absolutely insane over the last year. I got so many games I haven't A) Opened or B) Downloaded after buying lol.

Good time to be alive for sure

Banjo64

cumsessed
He's including R&C because every single title has been published by Sony.
Psychonauts 1 was originally funded by Microsoft who cancelled their publishing agreement shortly before release.

Psychonauts 2 was funded by Microsoft for 30 months prior to release.

Doesn’t count though because Bill Gates didn’t organically grow the studio in his back garden like it was a turnip or some shit.

NAh. Sony had a terrible year. They released a forgettable kids game and a rougelike that was broken at launch with inability to suspend the game. Am I missing something? Probably one of, if not the, worst year for Sony since the PS3 days.

“forgettable kids game” = most next gen thing released this year

“Roguelike” wasn’t broken, you could still suspend the game in standby mode and plenty of people beat it that way

Ratchet and especially Returnal are my top 2 games this year by far

Lognor

Banned
“forgettable kids game” = most next gen thing released this year

“Roguelike” wasn’t broken, you could still suspend the game in standby mode and plenty of people beat it that way

Ratchet and especially Returnal are my top 2 games this year by far
I mean, those are your only options from Sony and you're a big Sony fan. That doesn't say much.

Banjo64

cumsessed
No. Sony had a better year even though it was one of their weaker years

but it’s certainly a much better year than most for MS even with the disappointing release of Halo, they can’t continue to let that IP flounder
It wasn’t an 82 but that won’t stop you from sperging out all over the place :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Flutta

Banned
Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I mean, those are your only options from Sony and you're a big Sony fan. That doesn't say much.
To be fair those games can't be played anywhere else atm now can they? Every game MS published can be played elsewhere. Which isn't a bad thing imo. Which is why the op has merit.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Yeah, it was a weaker year for them but still started out solid.

still beats any other publisher this year, it’s been awful all around
Nah, Microsoft beat Sony handily. It's not even close. And a lot more diversity from Microsoft too. From Sony you got a roguelike (that was broken at launch) and a kid's platformer. That's all they released. Not even Horizon 2 or Gran Turismo. No real diversity.

Hopefully Sony can bounce back in 2022 because 2021 was a sad year for them.

Papacheeks

Banned
NAh. Sony had a terrible year. They released a forgettable kids game and a rougelike that was broken at launch with inability to suspend the game. Am I missing something? Probably one of, if not the, worst year for Sony since the PS3 days.

Now you are talking out your ass. Regardless of some of the issues Returnal had it was many peoples GOTY. Just like Forza is for a lot of people. Sony had a lot of things get pushed into next year. But you are forgetting they make MLB the show. So regardless of what you think of their first party Sony put out minus Directors cuts of games, Ratchet, returnal, MLB, Desturction All stars.

And although it pales compared to 2020, still goes to show you Playstations consistency. ANd honestly next year is going to be insane for them, I can't say the same for MS in 2022. God of war, Forbidden west alone will be what everyone for a while will be talking about.

Not to mention gran turismo, which I think in terms of player base pales compared to Forza, but its another well made solid title that adds value to them as a publisher. MLB the show, GT7, GOW, Horizon:FW, and other published games will make next year a great one for SOny.

Everyone has their year, 2021 is definitely MS's.

Last edited:

Urban

Personally non of the MS games are something to me but you can’t ignore the quality of the games that they put out.

For me it’s Sony. Returnal was a incredible experience for me

Zathalus

Who publishes Death Stranding on PC? It isn't Sony.
What about MineCraft on Nintendo/Sony consoles? It's not MicroSoft.
It's about publishing, not owning.
Yes, Death Stranding is not published by Sony on PC. That has got nothing to do with the fact that Bethesda is owned by Microsoft. Just like how Xbox Game Studios is owned by Microsoft.

The question isn't if Xbox Game Studios is publisher of the year, but if Microsoft is. The company that owns both Xbox Game Studios and Bethesda.

elliot5

It is kind of telling that Microsofts flagship title which got over a year long delay only ended up at an 86. Thats like sonys b-team level games, rift apart alone scored an 88
Ghost of Tsushima for PlayStation 4 Reviews - Metacritic
Marvel's Spider-Man for PlayStation 4 Reviews - Metacritic
Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales for PlayStation 5 Reviews - Metacritic
Death Stranding for PlayStation 4 Reviews - Metacritic
Returnal for PlayStation 5 Reviews - Metacritic
Destruction All Stars Mayhem Mode Gameplay for PlayStation 5 - Metacritic
Sackboy: A Big Adventure for PlayStation 4 Reviews - Metacritic

Most games get mid 80s. Sony is no exception. Is the R&C team at Insomniac suddenly the B team??? what kind of logic is this...

Last edited:
Nah, Microsoft beat Sony handily. It's not even close. And a lot more diversity from Microsoft too. From Sony you got a roguelike (that was broken at launch) and a kid's platformer. That's all they released. Not even Horizon 2 or Gran Turismo. No real diversity.

Hopefully Sony can bounce back in 2022 because 2021 was a sad year for them.

what did ms have besides halo and forza?

if you’re not a super fan of those series they didn’t have much…that’s not diversity at all

it’s the same games they’ve released tons of times in the past and neither is a revolutionary departure…

Last edited:
It is kind of telling that Microsofts flagship title which got over a year long delay only ended up at an 86. Thats like sonys b-team level games, rift apart alone scored an 88
That's because when Xbox launches a sequel to a long standing franchise, for whatever reason, it is expected by reviewers to revolutionize the entire genre or it is considered a failure. Sony sequels on the other hand seem to be mostly rated on how pretty the graphics look while gameplay is hardly ever mentioned in reviews. R&C for example plays almost exactly the same as it did during PS2 era, yet the CGI level graphics immediately catapulted it to high 80s metacritic.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Age of Empires 4 and FH5 seal the deal for me personally. On the other hand it’s been a really shitty year across the board with a few gems here and there.

That's because when Xbox launches a sequel to a long standing franchise, for whatever reason, it is expected by reviewers to revolutionize the entire genre or it is considered a failure. Sony sequels on the other hand seem to be mostly rated on how pretty the graphics look while gameplay is hardly ever mentioned in reviews. R&C for example plays almost exactly the same as it did during PS2 era, yet the CGI level graphics immediately catapulted it to high 80s metacritic.

Well, at least if you’re gonna put out a completely derivative game at least make sure it looks good lol

Microsoft got the idea with Forza Horizon but not Halo

Lognor

Banned
Now you are talking out your ass. Regardless of some of the issues Returnal had it was many peoples GOTY. Just like Forza is for a lot of people. Sony had a lot of things get pushed into next year. But you are forgetting they make MLB the show. So regardless of what you think of their first party Sony put out minus Directors cuts of games, Ratchet, returnal, MLB, Desturction All stars.

And although it pales compared to 2020, still goes to show you Playstations consistency. ANd honestly next year is going to be insane for them, I can't say the same for MS in 2022. God of war, Forbidden west alone will be what everyone for a while will be talking about.

Not to mention gran turismo, which I think in terms of player base pales compared to Forza, but its another well made solid title that adds value to them as a publisher. MLB the show, GT7, GOW, Horizon:FW, and other published games will make next year a great one for SOny.

Everyone has their year, 2021 is definitely MS's.
MLB The Show came out in 2021? My bad. You're right. They had three titles. The funny thing is you might be the first person who brought up The Show in this thread. I guess it was a just a forgettable game.

And wtf is Destruction All Stars? I had to look that up because I hadn't heard of it. When talking about publisher of the year, you should not include titles like this. It has a 62 on metacritic and an even lower user review score. This is not a good example for what makes a publisher of the year.

Yeah, 2022 should be better for Sony. But this thread is about which publisher had the best year in 2021. And it's not Sony. It's gotta be Microsoft. Maybe 2022 could be Sony's year. I honestly don't know what Microsoft has next year.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Funny to see that metacritics is a big thing for the xbox fans right now. They screamed so hard that it was completely bullshit.....

what did ms have besides halo and forza?

if you’re not a super fan of those series they didn’t have much
They revived Age of Empires with IV and it was met with universal acclaim. Flight Simulator is the best simulator/flying experience in the market and boasts most impressive visuals in the current gen. Psychonauts 2 came out to rave reviews and is in many people's GOTY list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom