• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is NeoGAF's community bad at 'accomplishing' something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

S¡mon

Banned
I'm talking here about all types of accomplishments.

For example, DRM. We had the #PS4NoDRM campaign and the #XB1NoDRM campaign.

Sure, Sony said at E3 that they wouldn't implement DRM... but one could argue that they simply took advantage of Microsoft's bad PR speak.
And sure, Microsoft dropped their policies... but let's be honest here, that was not because of #XB1NoDRM... they dropped their old policies because some retailers were reporting that the PS4 was outselling the Xbox One 10:1 - or even more.

So, we had a problem ("DRM")... but it wasn't the community that 'solved' it. It was Sony taking advantage of Microsoft's bad PR and later on Microsoft in response to (reportedly) extremely low pre-order sales.
The community here. well, uh, they didn't accomplish anything. The community simply likes to think that they did.

A more recent example of a much smaller issue: in this thread quite a lot of people are asking "What's the song in this commercial?". You would think that with a vibrant and living community, that question would be answered within a matter of minutes. But nothing is more true...

Just a few posts asking for the song, below:

What's the song? I kinda like it.

What's the song?

S¡mon;95377714 said:
I need the name of this song. It's amazing.

Damn you, Shazam, for not giving back a result.

Really like the song. Anyone know it?

Update if you find anything lol

Dead end for both this and the X1 game trailer remix music :/

What we see here is several people curious about a song. All the posts above were posted within 60 minutes of posting the thread. That's 5 posts per hour demanding for a name of the song - and the thread isn't even about the song, it's about a new commercial. Yes, that's how serious it is.

To give you an idea, if this trend continues, by the time it is 31-12-2014, 43680 posts demanding for the title of the song will be posted.

I don't know about you, but 43675 posts coming up... and yet, no one seems to be willing - or able - to give a solid answer to the question.
Sure, we probably won't approach this many posts asking about the song... but at this point in time we're still talking about 5 posts per hour. It's serious business here.

The community... can't accomplish.

[/rage out]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom