• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Nintendo becoming worse than... Activision Blizzard?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dampf

Diablo 2:

Full remake. High Quality assets, completely new lighting, modern textures and rendering effects:

diablo-2-03.png

to

cross-platform-save-4k.jpg

Price: 40 dollars.

Meanwhile Nintendo: Skyward Sword with increased rendering resolution and motion controls to button mapping:

From
Uo0YI4c.png

to

X4kQUEd.png

Price: 60 dollars.

As you can see, they barely did anything to the game other than upping the resolution. Geometry is identical. Lighting is nearly identical, there are still no modern rendering effects present like dynamic shadows and SSAO (if you call that modern, as those were standard in the PS3 gen) and most importantly, the textures are still the same if you look at the ground, very low res.

I'm just very sad to see Nintendo put no efforts into these remasters lately, Skyward Sword could look much better if Nintendo would actually invest money in it. Given the excellent Diablo 2 remake shown today, I can't help but feel even more letdown by Nintendo's recent business decisions...

Last edited:
I'd still probably put Acti Bliz above Nintendo after the Warcraft 3 fiasco

Theres's greed, and then there's just being a scumbag

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Why? Activison did a much better job with a remake of their beloved IP and actually charge less for it.
Good for Activision. Someone give them a cookie.

How one game release makes Nintendo the "new Activision" is aggressively dumb, but I expect we will see more of this crap. We gotta post about something for the next month.

If you don't like the Skyward remake, don't buy it.

Dampf

Good for Activision. Someone give them a cookie.

How one game release makes Nintendo the "new Activision" is aggressively dumb, but I expect we will see more of this crap. We gotta post about something for the next month.

If you don't like the Skyward remake, don't buy it.
Emphasis on "?" and "becoming" in the title.. I am not saying they will be the new Activision, but SSHD is clearly a step towards that direction.

Also look what I wrote above. I would buy the heck out of a true SS remake that is worth my money. I really, really would want Skyward Sword with modern graphics. Sadly Nintendo keeps doing these low budget "remasters" instead and it bugs the hell out of me. Same for TP HD but atleast that one had new textures...

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
They're far worse because with Nintendo you're tied into their shitty ecosystem after you've bought their machine and it only plays their shitty games, then they don't release games at any sort of normal pacing, they only release ONE AAA(ish) game per quarter now, and if you don't like it's niche TOO BAD.

If you don't like that one title, you've got your $400(CND) paperweight gathering fucking dust.

This Skyward Sword is a super lazy port.

Fuck Nintendo.

Yea, I'm still pissed they lied about Metroid Prime 4 ages ago.

Also they have worse fanbois than Sony(which is shocking).

For anyone too high on Nintedo's bullshit they've set a very dangerous example on how NOT to run a huge gaming company and still make TONS of money, this is BAD for lazy fucking investor fat cats that have their hands in all the gaming development today.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Emphasis on "?" and "becoming" in the title.. I am not saying they will be the new Activision, but SSHD is clearly a step towards that direction.

Also look what I wrote above. I would buy the heck out of a true SS remake that is worth my money. I really, really would want Skyward Sword with modern graphics. Sadly Nintendo keeps doing these low budget "remasters" instead and it bugs the hell out of me. Same for TP HD but atleast that one had new textures...
A step towards becoming what? A western publisher that relies on one first person shooter franchise with annual releases.

It's a port. That's not a new direction

Come On Reaction GIF

Last edited:

iHaunter

joycon drifts, awful pricing, limited games, nintendo has always been worse the last few years
I keep saying it, no one is listening. Nintendo is by far the worst publisher with how it prices and the overall quality of games. So many of their newer games coming out are some of the laziest remasters ever.

Though From Soft did a pretty terrible job with Dark Souls Remaster as well.

Dampf

Nah. Sony fanbois are some of the worst I've seen.
Trust me, I am a Nintendo fanboy and we are far worse because we are split into two parts, one part defending every business decision Nintendo makes plus buying everything Nintendo shits out and one part like me who isn't afraid to point out their mistakes (which should be done as feedback helps improving the company.) And those two parts are constantly fighting with each other using all sorts of wild insults and accusitations. I don't think Sony fans are nearly as split as Nintendo fans.

jakinov

That is not the point. I would buy the heck out of a true Skyward Sword remake. I would love to buy it. But instead, Nintendo keeps making those low effort remasters that anyone can do with dolphin emulator.
Because their goal is to sell a remaster not a remake so that they can sell the game at all again. They don't have backwards compatibility and want to sell an old game on their new platform. There are people that just want the ability to play the game again. Now they can. If you want a remake then convince them that there's value in dedicating their finite development and publishing resources into doing a complete remake. Currently it seems they just aren't interested in remaking it, just like most publishers aren't interested in remaking all their old games. You guys just have this absurd standard that if they are going to ever release an old game ever again they have to go above and beyond because for other games that don't age well, they have to add incentive for people to buy it again or at all.

OP where have you been? Nintendo has been the worst when it comes to these things for years and years. While other companies are actually putting work into remasters/remakes and many times offering them for less than full price, Nintendo continues to put out ports with no new content and no real graphical improvements while charging full price. In some cases like Miitopia they actually charge more than the game originally came out for. Pure greed.

The Skull

Trust me, I am a Nintendo fanboy and we are far worse because we are split into two parts, one part defending every business decision Nintendo makes plus buying everything Nintendo shits out and one part like me who isn't afraid to point out their mistakes (which should be done as feedback helps improving the company.) And those two parts are constantly fighting with each other using all sorts of wild insults and accusitations. I don't think Sony fans are nearly as split as Nintendo fans.
Sony fans seem to be absolutely consumed with rage the moment anyone likes a game Nintendo puts out. They go out of their way to try to convince everyone that Nintendo are the worst company in existence. Trust me, I live with one. As far as Nintendo fanbois go, there's probably some truth in that they'll buy stuff at prices they shouldn't but they are no way near as rabid as Sony fanbois are in my experience.

CuNi

Please, post this thread again when Diablo 2 Remake releases and it's not a total trainwreck like Warcraft 3 Reforged where so much was promised and except of a graphics uplift nothing changed.

Are actiblizz even that bad? I know there is some bullshit in the CoD games but most of you don't even play those. And apart from Warcraft III, they seem to treat us fair enough.

I don't even wanna list all the bullshit anti-consumer decisions that Nintendo has made. I mean, fair play to them, their stuff still sells like crazy, but I will avoid them.

Nintendo is at its best when they are struggling . That’s how they got the switch , and with the stellar games . But as soon as the capital is flowing like crazy , they get greedy and essentially milk us dry with minimal investment port with maximal price return. It’s bullshit. I wonder if this is an NOA practice or it’s orders coming from Japan ?

Zog

Banned
OP where have you been? Nintendo has been the worst when it comes to these things for years and years. While other companies are actually putting work into remasters/remakes and many times offering them for less than full price, Nintendo continues to put out ports with no new content and no real graphical improvements while charging full price. In some cases like Miitopia they actually charge more than the game originally came out for. Pure greed.
Shyward Sword will be more than the original price, adjusted for inflation.

Zog

Banned
It's just crazy enough to work. I'll try it and report back. Wish me luck.
It won't work. I skipped almost all of the full price remasters (except for 3D World) and that hasn't stopped Nintendo (nor did I expect it to).

The 'so don't buy it but quit complaining' crowd is full of shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom