• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Nintendo in cruise control right now? What does rest of 2018 hold?

I saw this topic on ResetEra. It is a very fair question:

Even though it is still early in 2018, next month we will be a quarter of the way thru 2018. So far we haven't heard much from Nintendo. Below is what I think is coming.

*3rd Party 2018:*

Crash Bandicoot
Mega Man
Sonic Racing
SF Anthology
Dark Souls
Y’s
GTA V -
COD
Madden
Fifa
NBA
PES
Fallout
Fortnite
Paladins
Dragonball Z
Project Octopath
DQ
Resident Evil
Lego Incredibles
Wolfenstein 2
South Park
Elex
R6S?
One Piece

*1st Party 2018:*

Bayo 2
Kirby
Hyrule Warriors
Labo
DKC:TF
Mario Tennis
Fire Emblem
Yoshi
September game? (Smash 4.5, or Retro Studios) to launch with Nintendo Online
October game: Labo kits part 2 —- tractor?
November Game: Animal Crossing or Pokemon
December Game: New Super Mario Bros Wii U Deluxe or 2d Zelda

What do you think is coming or any games you have insight on? If this is similar to what is coming in 2018 are you satisfied?

Last edited:

big youth

I think we're getting Animal Crossing + other surprises this year. I expect most marquee titles to land in 2019, like Smash, Pokemon, maybe 2D Mario, Retro's game? Who knows.

I'm actually super excited for Kirby Star Allies and the new Yoshi, even though everyone else seems to see them as B tier games. This year's E3 is also gonna be fucking lit. But yes, I think this is gonna be cruise control year. We'll get some great games, but nothing on the level of Mario Odyssey or BOTW. 2019 will be the year to really get hyped, as I'm sure the big first party games like Pokemon, Fire Emblem and Metroid Prime 4 will release next year. Also, as unlikely as it is, if Nintendo announces a REAL follow up to Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, I'll be like an excited little boy again like I was with BOTW and SMO.

Andyliini

Last year was great, with the trinity of Zelda, Mario and Xenoblade all releasing in a single year. This year is less so, but some interesting projects seem to be releasing this year, too. I hope Bayonetta ports sell well, for there still are some Wii U exclusives, that deserve more recognition from a wider public. I'm personally not interested in Kirby at all, but Yoshi is certainly my thing. Hopefully we see Fire Emblem soon too, as it's also scheduled to 2018. Out of all titles confirmed for this year, Nintendo Labo seems to have generated the most interest. We'll have to wait and see if that means sales, though.

WaterAstro

Uh most of them are old games... I guess it's something?

Nothing really stands out, and the bigger titles are speculation.

Codes 208

What makes you think GTA 5 is coming to switch? Theres been no suggestion or hint it will, on top of that a GTA game hasnt hit a nintendo system since china town wars

Same thing goes for cod. We havent a nintendo port since ghosts.

Last edited:

KevinKeene

Banned
What makes you think GTA 5 is coming to switch? Theres been no suggestion or hint it will, on top of that a GTA game hasnt hit a nintendo system since china town wars

Same thing goes for cod. We havent a nintendo port since ghosts.

So what is your argument against these games on Switch? "It hasn't happened in the past couple years, so it won't happen in the future"?

Rockstar brought LA Noire to Switch. Switch can easily handle GTA5. GTA5 has sold its share on other systems, there wouldn't be any canmibalization effect. And a portable version of GTA5 would bring something fresh to this game. Also Switch is really popular. Basically: it makes too much sense to port GTA5 to Switch.

But I guess 'it hasn't happened recently, so it'll never happen' is a more convincing argument.

Last edited:

Shini42

So what is your argument against these games on Switch? "It hasn't happened in the past couple years, so it won't happen in the future"?

Rockstar brought LA Noire to Switch. Switch can easily handle GTA5. GTA5 has sold its share on other systems, there wouldn't be any canmibalization effect. And a portable version of GTA5 would bring something fresh to this game. Also Switch is really popular. Basically: it makes too much sense to port GTA5 to Switch.

But I guess 'it hasn't happened recently, so it'll never happen' is a more convincing argument.
Why do you keep saying "couple years" or "recently" referring to nine years gap between now and the last time a GTA game was on a nintendo console?
It would be more appropriate to say never, since none of the main entries of Rockstars GTA series nor 3D trilogy (3, VC, SA) or HD games (4, 5) ever were on nintendo consoles.
By this point I wouldn't be surprised if, instead of GTAV, we get GTA4 for Switch, as a part of 10 years anniversary, or 3D trilogy ported from mobile.

Last edited:

KevinKeene

Banned
Why do you keep saying "couple years" or "recently" referring to nine years gap between now and the last time a GTA game was on a nintendo console?
It would be more appropriate to say never, since none of the main entries of Rockstars GTA series nor 3D trilogy (3, VC, SA) or HD games (4, 5) ever were on nintendo consoles.
By this point I wouldn't be surprised if, instead of GTAV, we get GTA4 for Switch, as a part of 10 years anniversary, or 3D trilogy ported from mobile.

What mainline GTA should have appeared on past Nintendo consoles?

GameCube mini discs didn't have enough storage
Wii was too weak
Wii U a failure

Switch is the first Nintendo system without downsides.

MilkyJoe

Wii was too weak
Wii U a failure

??

I'd put switch in the too weak pile, myself. (and too expensive for said weakness) If you are expecting a GTAV port you'll be getting a 360 port at best.

KevinKeene

Banned
??

I'd put switch in the too weak pile, myself. (and too expensive for said weakness) If you are expecting a GTAV port you'll be getting a 360 port at best.

Switch is not too weak for GTA5
And Rockstar would look like fools if they only ported the 360 version, when even Bethesda could port a great running port of Skyrim Remastered.

Shini42

Wii was too weak
Wii U a failure

Wasn't WiiU a failure because of almost nonexistent third party support? GTA game would help alot, imo.
Well, I guess it's a "chicken or an egg" situation.

Codes 208

And Rockstar would look like fools if they only ported the 360 version, when even Bethesda could port a great running port of Skyrim Remastered.
Apples to oranges. You can get skyrim to run on just about anything these days, gta5 uses a lot more physics and calls for much more processing power. Id argue that doom on switch is a bigger technical feat than skyrim.

Regardless, LA Noire wasnt just brought to the switch, it was "remastered" for all major systems, gta5 has already been developed for the current gen and i doubt rockstar will take the time to bring it to switch now. They wont even go bavk to patch the game for ps4 pro or the X. You have a better chance of rdr2 coming to switch and even thats slim at best.

Wasn't WiiU a failure because of almost nonexistent third party support? GTA game would help alot, imo.
Well, I guess it's a "chicken or an egg" situation.
Technically it was a bigger failure because it didnt catch on. It took too long for a dedicated zelda or mario game, the name was confusing and the system was just slightly stronger than a 360 for a bigger price and nintendo refused to drop the $350 price tag when the ps4 came out for only $50 more for quite some time

And yes it does have weaknesses. Notably the fact that its using the older tegra chip and has about half the processing power of a base xbox one

Last edited:
Look those are the games that have been rumored or leak for Switch.

But, common sense, business sense whatever you want to call it tells us this. When Nintendo's first EVER paid online service launches in September they have AT LEAST one new first-party title and 3party title with online play to make people want to pay for the service.

I am fairly confident we see a Switch COD release the same time as the other COD this year. I also expect Fortnite to launch for Switch this Fall with the online service.

Most people are saying the September game is Smash Bros 4.5 to get the online going. Do you think that is enough to drive adoption of the paid online?

DonF

I was saying the exact same thing to a friend. We need a new direct!! Last year I was constantly looking forward for a new game on the switch, I went from zelda hype, to splatoon 2 hype to mario hype and then bayonetta 2...right now I'm waiting for 0 games on the switch. I'm not very interested on Kirby or Yoshi. I love metroid, but we have no gameplay of prime 3. DK tropical freeze its a maybe for me... They need to build that hype again. Last year was awesome.

alken

Banned
games are there.
I think at Nintendo now they have a lot of data from customer behaviours, I think they already making the switch revision and maybe a home only version if the data confirm that the console is mostly used in home.
If really they are following Apple and Android philosofy on hardware we should see a revision next year.
I wonder also if they are approaching VR and AR in ther R&D labs.
One of the Switch revisions could be a standalone helmet ala next gen Vive.
but maybe just labo card box ;)

ehead

Did LA Noire sell well on Switch? Last news I've read relating to it is that the Switch version has like 20% of the total launch sales last year. I am hoping GTA does make it, it will probably give me time to really delve deep into online.

Back on topic, Nintendo first party will surely deliver. We might get a surprise glimpse this GDC. As for third parties, I'm guessing there will be more ports coming - Darksiders (1+2), Portal (not the bridge game), some Sega franchise (Dreamcast collection, maybe?), and not much support from EA.

Oh, Valkyria Chronicles is confirmed too, right? So that's good news.

KevinKeene

Banned
If there's another Darksiders port I'll scream. That game has become to video game systems what solitaire is to Windows. Except solitaire is fun.

Livia

Well, we are only in february so I dont think we can say nintendo is on cruise control just yet. Yes, the first half of this year looks tame, but who knows what they announce at E3. These few months I have been enjoying alot of indie games, and Mario tennis looks good.

I assumed they didn't want to talk about 2018 before to focus on the products they had on shelves for the holidays, and that they'd come out guns blazing with a Direct when the new year hit. And then the Mini Direct happened, which was pretty disappointing. The best thing about it was that they acknowledged it for being "mini." Ports are cool, I'll buy many of them, but you can't rely on them too much. We need new games too. With Nintendo only having the Switch to worry about now, I expect a decent output of (new) games from them.

Right now it does seem they won't be able to get a line-up on par with last year's. I know that would have been difficult with last year's incredible line-up of Mario, Zelda, Xenoblade, Splatoon 2 and more, but I hoped that at least the quantity would stay consistent. There were so many games (almost one new first party game each month) and a great variety too, with multiplayer and single player experiences in different genres. I'm not seeing as much of that this year. We're already getting three 2D platformers with Tropical Freeze, Kirby and Yoshi. We don't know much else about what's coming up this year, and even the games that have been confirmed, haven't been showed yet.

I'm not going to write them off just yet; There's many opportunities for them to announce new games. Maybe they're just careful with their announcements.

I assumed they didn't want to talk about 2018 before to focus on the products they had on shelves for the holidays, and that they'd come out guns blazing with a Direct when the new year hit. And then the Mini Direct happened, which was pretty disappointing. The best thing about it was that they acknowledged it for being "mini." Ports are cool, I'll buy many of them, but you can't rely on them too much. We need new games too. With Nintendo only having the Switch to worry about now, I expect a decent output of (new) games from them.

Right now it does seem they won't be able to get a line-up on par with last year's. I know that would have been difficult with last year's incredible line-up of Mario, Zelda, Xenoblade, Splatoon 2 and more, but I hoped that at least the quantity would stay consistent. There were so many games (almost one new first party game each month) and a great variety too, with multiplayer and single player experiences in different genres. I'm not seeing as much of that this year. We're already getting three 2D platformers with Tropical Freeze, Kirby and Yoshi. We don't know much else about what's coming up this year, and even the games that have been confirmed, haven't been showed yet.

I'm not going to write them off just yet; There's many opportunities for them to announce new games. Maybe they're just careful with their announcements.

We if the rumors of COD, GTA V, Fortnite, a new Sonic Racing, and Pokemon all make 2018, that will help Switch sales.

WaterAstro

Do you think Switch can handle GTAV's multiplayer? LA Noire was strictly a single player without much going on.

bufkus

Do you think Switch can handle GTAV's multiplayer? LA Noire was strictly a single player without much going on.

if a PS3 can handle GTAV what makes you think the Switch couldn't?
the Switch has the specs of a low end gaming PC, and those can handle GTAV already. obviously there will be graphical compromises.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Project Octopath Traveler
Bayo 3
Kirby
Labo
Fire Emblem
Yoshi

Makes for a decent enough line-up so far, better than last year anyway, and there is probably still plenty more coming. I find it hard to see them as being on cruise control when they're putting out something like Labo.

KevinKeene

Banned
Project Octopath Traveler
Bayo 3
Kirby
Labo
Fire Emblem
Yoshi

Makes for a decent enough line-up so far, better than last year anyway, and there is probably still plenty more coming. I find it hard to see them as being on cruise control when they're putting out something like Labo.

:/

Shini42

if a PS3 can handle GTAV what makes you think the Switch couldn't?
the Switch has the specs of a low end gaming PC, and those can handle GTAV already. obviously there will be graphical compromises.
PS3 and Xbox360 can’t handle GTAO with the latest add-ons. And by “latest” I mean everything since the beginning of 2016. So, the question still stands:

Omegatron

Neo Member
I have a feeling that the paid online service that's coming later this year, will have a bigger impact than people think, regarding how well the Switch will hold up into its third year and beyond.

Nintendo has never been known for their online contributions, and that is more than justified when you look at how bad Nintendo overly complicates things in that area.

In regards to video games, I just want to know what Retro Studios is doing.

JP

In all honesty, I think GTA Online is the only thing that would empt them to release GTA 5 on another platform as that's where the real money is for them now and I would think that Nintendo would need at least two or three good years online to tempt Rockstar to spend money on a port for a lesser console.

GTA 5 is constantly in the charts due to the online portion and I'm just not convinced that Nintendo are ready for that sort of thing yet.

EDIT:
Let's be honest, by the time that happens Rockstar will likely be taking advantage of Red Dead Redemption Online to be thinking about GTA Online on Switch. Again, I could well be wrong but I just don't see it being the best way for Rockstar to invest their money.

Last edited:
In regards to video games, I just want to know what Retro Studios is doing.

I'm in the minority that would actually love a Donkey Kong announcement. Either a new DKC to complete the wonderful 2nd trilogy, or a 3D DK. A new IP would be great as well. Barring that, being given another dead franchise to work on (they seem to be great at this) like F-Zero, Wave Race, 1080, or Wario would be awesome.

KevinKeene

Banned
So, are you saying, that Rockstar should port GTAV on Switch even if it means not only some compromises to presentation, but some missing GTAO features aswell?

There would be no compromises to presentation, pls stop repeating that.

And I have zero interest in any online modes. GTA5 is about singleplayer. Without voice chat, any online mode doesnt make sense anyway.

Shini42

There would be no compromises to presentation, pls stop repeating that.
Well, maybe not compared to PS3/Xbox360 versions.
And I have zero interest in any online modes. GTA5 is about singleplayer. Without voice chat, any online mode doesnt make sense anyway.
No offence, but your interest or lack thereof has nothing to do with what GTAV is about. GTAO is very important part of the experience, and also a source of revenue for Rockstar/Take Two.

RuhRo

Really hoping they maintain the rhythm of two buzzy heavy hitters a year. Animal Crossing and Smash Bros this year, Pokemon and Metroid in 2019? And of course, hope springs eternal for an exciting new franchise, but I'm not holding my breath...

Really hoping they maintain the rhythm of two buzzy heavy hitters a year. Animal Crossing and Smash Bros this year, Pokemon and Metroid in 2019? And of course, hope springs eternal for an exciting new franchise, but I'm not holding my breath...

Personally, Kirby and Yoshi will be heavy hitters for me, but I seem to be in the minority opinion on this one. I'm also excited for Mario Tennis, though that's not really a "big" game. I think Bayo 3 is releasing this year. Perhaps Fire Emblem as well, though I wouldn't be surprised by a 2019 release.

Codes 208

Personally, Kirby and Yoshi will be heavy hitters for me, but I seem to be in the minority opinion on this one. I'm also excited for Mario Tennis, though that's not really a "big" game. I think Bayo 3 is releasing this year. Perhaps Fire Emblem as well, though I wouldn't be surprised by a 2019 release.
I agree with yoshi. I loved yoshis whooly world and im curious of the new yoshis story-esque aesthetic.
Well, maybe not compared to PS3/Xbox360 versions.

No offence, but your interest or lack thereof has nothing to do with what GTAV is about. GTAO is very important part of the experience, and also a source of revenue for Rockstar/Take Two.
And im pretty sure rockstar are well aware how ineffecient nintendo's online structure is.

Dont get me wrong i love my switch but some of these requests just seem outlandish

Codes 208

I can see DBFZ hitting the switch though. Its pretty optomized even on the base xbox one so im sure the switch could handle it with some minor compromises. But bamco is probably waiting for a GOTY or season 2 style release before porting it.
I think Fallout on Switch would be perfect. I’d triple dip on that sucker in a heartbeat.
Perhaps with a mario hat and mallet similar to skyrims zelda items.

I agree with yoshi. I loved yoshis whooly world and im curious of the new yoshis story-esque aesthetic./QUOTE]

I loved Wooly World, Island, AND Story (I feel like that game gets too much flack). In fact, Yoshi's Island is my all time favorite 2D platformer. So more Yoshi is a good thing for me.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Did the 360 have GTAO? Cause the Switch is more powerful that it.

Mooreberg

They had a really strong first year. Some of the list wars on this stuff is impossible to argue because a worthwhile port to one person is a game that another person has already played a ton of on another platform. I hope they just maintain a good pace with exclusive content.

Velius

Banned
I'm still hoping to hear an announcement about From Software making Metroid Prime 4.

I know it's an offchance at best but I can't get over how beautiful that would be.

Top Bottom