• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is on-line gaming bad for overall game sales?

moondance

I've noticed since going xbox live that I purchase a lot fewer games these days. I attribute it to the increased replayability of the on-line enabled games I already have in my collection. Where once I used to go through the single player mode in games and go straight to purchasing the next hot title I now find myself getting way more mileage out of the games I already have. Anybody else purchasing fewer titles for the same reason and what will happen when Halo 2 hits, who's going to have time for anything else?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
This is the main reason I don't do much online gaming because it takes away from the time I would be devoting towards playing games to completion.

Gattsu25

Banned
yes, and it's a good thing

games are meant to entertain you...the longer they entertain you the more value you get from your purchase

I guess this is why companies are trying to, or at least have a long term goal of planning to, make money from online gaming services. Mind you, most companies that have tried have failed.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Ask the thousands of people still playing Counterstrike SIX years later. :|

Hell, I ditched all gaming BUT Kohan last summer.

OG_Original Gamer said:
How many of you that have SC:pT have beat the single player?

Would you have bought without online?

I'm at around 10% in the single player mode and I had the game for over a month now. I guess we'll have to wait for Splinter Cell 3 to spice up the single player mode a little bit.

pilonv1

The other side of the coin is that online titles offer the most value in the first month or two, while offline titles remain constant. So you can wait for the inevitable pricedrop for a non online title and still enjoy it to it's full extent. However if you pick up a RSC2 or PGR2 six months later the excitement online isn't there and people have moved on. I find myself now only buying online and niche titles at full price, and wait for the larger offline releaes to drop to budget prices.

Top Bottom