• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Pikmin 3 discontinued?

Persona7

Banned
I had a copy from before but I gave it away as a gift because I didn't own a Wii U at that time. I own one now and I totally forgot about the game so I went online to find a copy and it isn't in stock online anywhere. Gamestop, Target and Wal-Mart near me don't have new copies either.

Was it discontinued? Maybe they are prepping a new version of the game with all the updates on the disk?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I had a copy from before but I gave it away as a gift because I didn't own a Wii U at that time. I own one now and I totally forgot about the game so I went online to find a copy and it isn't in stock online anywhere. Gamestop, Target and Wal-Mart near me don't have new copies either.

Was it discontinued? Maybe they are prepping a new version of the game with all the updates on the disk?

or maybe an HD Collection with all three chapters, with all DLC included for the third

Massa

This is not unusual for less popular Nintendo games, I'd just get the game digitally if I were you.

javac

Wii U games in general seem to have low print numbers. Many of the Wii U gamed are sold out everywhere for example in the UK, and where they are available they have gone up in price by a lot apart from a select few.

wrowa

Amazon UK and Germany aren't selling the game anymore either (still available for decent prices on the Amazon Market Place, though), and Amazon France says it'll be delivered in one or two months.

So, yeah, at least right now it seems like Nintendo isn't pressing new discs in both Europe and the US.

mp1990

Banned
Seriously ? Fuck,i'm picking up a Wii U in January and this was one of my most hyped games,and it's already discontinued.

Yeah, probably low demand. Since the game is available digitally, Nintendo can just pull it from the shelves. What really puzzles me is the opposite (Nintendo Land, available in stores and pulled from the eshop for some weird reason).

wrowa

Seriously ? Fuck,i'm picking up a Wii U in January and this was one of my most hyped games,and it's already discontinued.

Well, it's still availlable on the eShop, if everything else fails. However, considering that Nintendo put a Pikmin 3 demo on the eShop just recently, I can't quite imagine that they'll never produce new copies of it.

Yeah, probably low demand. Since the game is available digitally, Nintendo can just pull it from the shelves. What really puzzles me is the opposite (Nintendo Land, available in stores and pulled from the eshop for some weird reason).

It's even weirder because it's a first-party game from Nintendo, and after that cartoon and demo, you'd think they'd keep it around longer.

Which is downloaded from the eShop, where you'll also find the full game.

eShop prices are absolutely silly. It's going for fucking 60 right now.

Vitacat

Wow.

I bought a nice clean copy of Pikmin 3 for $30 a few weeks ago at Gamestop, and ended up returning it because it's just not my kind of game. Please note, I also bought a ton of other games that I did keep, so I don't abuse the system.

Guess I screwed up and should've kept it if it's going for that much money already.

Kouriozan

That's how they manage to keep the price of their games high and don't waste money overshipping.
But yeah, I didn't expect it to be discontinued after Mimayoto's push of the IP.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Is it on the eShop? Wondering for myself as I see myself picking it up once I get a WIi U

That's how they manage to keep the price of their games high and don't waste money overshipping.
But yeah, I didn't expect it to be discontinued after Mimayoto's push of the IP.

I guess that's true. Crazy because of that recent attention though.

The few sales they'll get at this point isn't enough to print new discs, covers, shipping etc.

But then why the demo and cartoon? It's just kinda odd to do all that now and then stop shipping copies all together.

It's been out of print for months.

Really? Out of curiousity, do you know exactly when that started?

Feindflug

Just checked amazon.co.uk and it's 70 pounds for new and 50 pounds for used but I can find it here in Greece for 38e brand new.

I have the game digitally from the MK8 deal but all this had me thinking that I should also get the retail version. :/

kitsuneyo

Off topic but Nintendo Land needs a relaunch with Amiibo support, online play and leaderboards. Chuck a couple of new attractions in and call it DLC.

But then why the demo and cartoon? It's just kinda odd to do all that now and then stop shipping copies all together.?

Its still on the eshop, and the cartoon is probably because pikmin fits for a cartoon. They don't need to do any voices and the characters are funny. Also, I'm sure we'll see a Pikmin 4 as well. Having a cartoon keeps the IP relevant until then.

amnesiac

I would buy it from the eShop but Nintendo not having an account system which is adequate is a huge disadvantage. I've also had trouble in the past where my 3DS broke and I wasn't able to get 10+ downloaded games back so I'm not going through that again.

Ninja Dom

I've asked this in another thread, don't retailers in the US sell Download Codes of Wii U & 3DS games in stores or online??

Here in the UK, gaming stores sell physical copies of games and also Download Codes of games that can be cheaper than Nintendo Official Online Store and cheaper than the eShop.

OP, why don't you get it from the eShop if you're having so much trouble buying physical?

Bass260

Wii U stuff in general just hasn't sold well. I'm guessing stores don't want anymore copies on their shelves. Pikmin 3 did come out when the system was $350 so maybe they got burned. Dunno. Great game though :(

Digital!

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Just buy it on the eShop. I sold my copy after I got it as a free game from the MK8 promotion.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I think so. A few weeks ago when BB had the B1G1 40% off sale I tried to get it in store and none of the stores in the computer had it. I had to go online and order it through the website. It arrived after everything else I ordered, which I'm guessing means they had to ship it from a different warehouse.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
eShop prices are absolutely silly. It's going for fucking 60 right now.

It's the recommended price and it's the best game in the current generation of consoles, so 60€ is fine. Nevertheless, I'd rather pay 200€ to a scalper for a disc version than any price for a dl version, so I'm not the right person to argue for downloading it at 60€ either.

Really good game, by the way. I'm new to the series and had no interest in it, only got the game because I already owned the other MK8 promo games. What a pleasant surprise. Finished it about two weeks ago and loved it.

I know people have very good reasons not to buy digital Nintendo games, but if necessary, make an exception for Pikmin 3. It's worth it.

NYCrooner

Have this same problem with LEGO City Undercover. You can still find it here and there brand new if you're lucky but it's rare. Such a great game. I know the eShop has everything but retail presense is important for mindshare.

The Giant

Banned

Nintendoland is on the eshop in pal land.

Still available on Amazon.it too, 40€.

There's very little demand for Wii U games in general, of course there are few copies printed. But I don't think it's already discontinued.

Top Bottom