• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is porting Civilisation VI to console REALLY gonna work?

Will this work?

• Yes, it is very possible to play RTS with a controller. You're just a baffoon.

Votes: 47 64.4%
  • No, it would be like wiring a plug while wearing boxing gloves.

Votes: 26 35.6%

• Total voters

Hostile_18

Banned
5 is still literally the best Civ ever made. The best ever made. Most of the Civ community still prefers V. Not sure if VI will ever surpass it.

I havent played the expansion packs for 5 but remember not been to excited by the base game, everything seemed so slow.

Still an easy decision if your a console only gamer. Along with Baldurs Gate it's nice to bring these games I used to play on PC over to console.

Bolivar687

Banned
original.gif

diffusionx

Gold Member
Civilization has existed in playable form on console since the SNES. It'll be fine.

5 is still literally the best Civ ever made. The best ever made. Most of the Civ community still prefers V. Not sure if VI will ever surpass it.

Maybe CivZoomers prefer it, but Civ IV is the better game and the better Civ game.

I actually never got on with Civ V. It just never worked well for me. I like Civ 6 better, but it's still not as good as 4.

I've got Civ VI on Switch and to be honest, I've been having a hard time getting into it. Not because of the controls, they seem fine. It's just that the complexity is an order of magnitude above the Civ games I'm used to. I've got a working Amiga 2000 behind me with the original Civilization where I got my start. It still runs! It does take a good 20 minutes to draw the first map on a new game though, lol. Then I moved on to Civ 2 on PC and Civilization Revolutions on the DS which was a pretty nice way to play a quick, light Civ game. I've missed everything in between and VI is not the game I was used to. I'm afraid it is going to take a heavy investment of time to acclimate to all of the nuances.

StormCell

I havent played the expansion packs for 5 but remember not been to excited by the base game, everything seemed so slow.

Still an easy decision if your a console only gamer. Along with Baldurs Gate it's nice to bring these games I used to play on PC over to console.

Yeah, you need all the expansions for V. They make or break the experience, unfortunately. I didn't buy in to V until a complete edition was available on Steam for like $20.

Maybe CivZoomers prefer it, but Civ IV is the better game and the better Civ game.

I actually never got on with Civ V. It just never worked well for me. I like Civ 6 better, but it's still not as good as 4.

Well I'm not a Zoomer. I didn't even play vanilla Civ V, so that could be why the difference in opinions. I bought in on the complete edition, and by then the game was incredibly more balanced and the modding scene was at its peak. I did play a lot of IV and found that fully expanded V to be a much better overall experience.

Of course, nowadays, you pretty much ought to wait until the expansions before diving into a new Civ. IV was good out of the box, though. I still have my collector's edition from when I pre-ordered. I will probably never pre-order Civ again seeing as how they roll out a huge game-changing expansion 2 years after release.

adamosmaki

I dont think controls are that big of a problem in a turn based RPG. The turn times at late game on huge maps that can be a big problem on consoles. I have a 6core ryzen and it takes a couple of minutes at late game when i play against 12 other civs so i cant imagine on a weak jaguar CPU it will be any enjoyable unless they limit the A.I, opponents to something more feasible like 6-7 civs

Hostile_18

Banned
Metro review gave it a 9/10 as well.

Wow this could actually be a GotY contender... if TBS games were "worthy" in publications eyes lol.

Hostile_18

Banned
I've just pre ordered the game. On the UK PSN at least theres an unadvertised PSN theme that comes with it. I know it won't but imagine it was a Baba Yetu one... dreams baby... you know you got to have them.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I still need to play on switch lol.
Cant image the controls being good.

I tried halo wars 2 on xbox one x after trying pc.

Bad
Call

Last edited:

SeanTron

Neo Member
I played this game quite a bit on switch (60 hours so far) and most of it ended up being in docked mode with a controller, with some handheld mode using controls and very occasioanlly touch.

It plays really well well with traditional controls. PS4 and XB1 would be great platforms to play this on especially because Switch can get pretty choppy as campaigns drag on.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Been so long since i played Revolution. I cant remember anything on how to play. Any faster, less boring way to learn the game without doing the tutorial? Lol

I played tf out of Revolution and im sure it'd be no different with this but the tutorial is so slow and boring lol.

Jennings

There's another thread around here that asks some sort of question like, "Would you refuse to play a game just because you hate the art style?" And my immediate thought to that question was, "Pfft, no."

But then I saw this thread bumped and was reminded of the time I refunded my $13 Civ VI complete pack for Xbox after 20 minutes of gameplay because I utterly and completely hate the leader artwork on all levels, and wish ill upon the art director for their contribution to the game. I absolutely can NOT tolerate cartoonish, aloof, bug-eyed Pixar/Dreamworks/Disney-styled world leaders with no fucking menace, grandiosity, balls, gravitas, aplump. Some of these people are literal monsters, and Civ VI even turns THEM into a Baby Mario version of Hitler.

So now I guess the answer to that other thread's question, for me, would be: Yes.

Port of a turn based game like CIV could work especially considering you could just buy keyboard/mouse for PS/XBOX, if controller controls are really that bad

jigglet

Banned
There's another thread around here that asks some sort of question like, "Would you refuse to play a game just because you hate the art style?" And my immediate thought to that question was, "Pfft, no."

But then I saw this thread bumped and was reminded of the time I refunded my $13 Civ VI complete pack for Xbox after 20 minutes of gameplay because I utterly and completely hate the leader artwork on all levels, and wish ill upon the art director for their contribution to the game. I absolutely can NOT tolerate cartoonish, aloof, bug-eyed Pixar/Dreamworks/Disney-styled world leaders with no fucking menace, grandiosity, balls, gravitas, aplump. Some of these people are literal monsters, and Civ VI even turns THEM into a Baby Mario version of Hitler.

So now I guess the answer to that other thread's question, for me, would be: Yes.

This is a perfect example of this. Yes this should be a series game. It’s not aimed at kids. It’s not even aimed at the mass market. If it was I’d understand the design choices. So weird (and ugly).

Topher

Gold Member
Port of a turn based game like CIV could work especially considering you could just buy keyboard/mouse for PS/XBOX, if controller controls are really that bad

Yeah, but most console gamers are going to bother with keyboard and mouse.

RainblowDash

Gold Member
Civ 1 had a very cool SNES port which played very well.

The game is turn based so there’s no reason why it wouldn’t work anyway.

Man, Im a huge CIV fan on ps5 and Switch(Spent at least 300 bucks on Civ 6 between rebuying and DLC at this point)... I am very sad we don't get the leaders DLC same time as PC... it's not even been confirmed for consoles but Im thinking they must... Very much looking forward to any news on that front; I don't have a gaming PC.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
See, the reason there were years between replies is because that's how Long it takes to get through the tutorial and figure out how to do 6 billion things with 12 buttons. I'm with you OP, RIP in peace and shit

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member

mFor0qg.jpg

Top Bottom