• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is PSVR, and PSVR 2 the reason you're going with PS5 this generation? Poll Inside.

Is PSVR or PSVR2 the reason you're going with PlayStation or PS5 this gen?

• Total voters
With the VR headset craze from companies such as Valve, Samsung, Facebook, Google and others in full steam Sony has positioned itself ahead of its competitors in the console market as the sole provider of VR on consoles.

vr-refresh-trial-headset

PSVR, while not adopted massively as consoles, has had, at least for Sony, some sales success by being the single most successful and sold VR headset in the market with over 5 million hardware sales and over 20 million software sales with a selection of over 500 games and critically acclaimed titles that have gone to compete for Game of the Year in VR, like Astrobot: Rescue Mission (and won).

The Road to PS5 by Mark Cerny, and patents filed by Sony indicate that PSVR 2 for PS5 is coming, and that the PS5 was designed with VR in mind. So with that said, are you looking forward to PSVR 2?

Have you tried VR and liked it? Disliked it?
What VR headset will you be looking to buy in the future if it peeks your interest?
Has PlayStation VR sold you on the PlayStation ecosystem as the best place to play and be? Is it one of many reasons?
What VR games sold you on VR? Which games would you like to try on VR?

Last edited:

Romulus

I tried at best buy in 2016 and instantly knew it was the next step for me in gaming. It was so much more immersive than I expected. Yes, it's what keeps me interested in console gaming. I also have pcvr but Sony exclusives are worth it.

Last edited:

INC

VR was my deciding factor in building a new pc. the consoles themselves wont be able to provide an experience even remotely on par

I wouldn't be so sure, the quest 2 is cheap and a great step up, so I expect psvr 2 hesdset to be pretty decent, and sony has 1 big thing over pcvr, the willingness to invest money into aaa vr titles, pcvr is mainly all indie games and experiences, at least sony studio's will support their titles, look at firewall, one of th bests vr supported games

TeKtheSanE

I wouldn't be so sure, the quest 2 is cheap and a great step up, so I expect psvr 2 hesdset to be pretty decent, and sony has 1 big thing over pcvr, the willingness to invest money into aaa vr titles, pcvr is mainly all indie games and experiences, at least sony studio's will support their titles, look at firewall, one of th bests vr supported games
If PSVR2 ends up doing some wireless magic interfacing with the PS5 and is functional, you can sign me up.

Last edited:

INC

If PSVR2 ends up doing some wireless magic interfacing with the PS5 and is functional, you can sign me up.

Itll be wireless, gotta be, sony would of seen the success of quest, and wanna go that route, doesnt ps5 have the upgraded WiFi? Maybe interface with that......fuck knows

It doesn't need to be fully wireless, but at least wireless within room scale

Last edited:
PSVR made me sick for 2 weeks, literally felt off for 2 weeks

Havent tried other VRs but probably same thing.

So no.

Immersion were really nice and I wish they could fix the nausea problem, but I fear that the reason is in my brain/ears etc so no can do.

I would definetly buy it if it would not make me epicly sick

TeKtheSanE

Itll be wireless, gotta be, sony would of seen the success of quest, and wanna go that route, doesnt ps5 have the upgraded WiFi? Maybe interface with that......fuck knows

It doesn't need to be fully wireless, about at least wireless within room scale
That's what I mean, if it is wireless roomscales where you just have to be in range of the PS5, has at least 90hz, good FOV, and good screens with high resolution. I am signed up.

Otherwise I'll stick to PCVR cause I plan to upgrade the Rift S to something this next gen and who knows is Sony will drop bombs and make me go their route.

INC

That's what I mean, if it is wireless roomscales where you just have to be in range of the PS5, has at least 90hz, good FOV, and good screens with high resolution. I am signed up.

Otherwise I'll stick to PCVR cause I plan to upgrade the Rift S to something this next gen and who knows is Sony will drop bombs and make me go their route.

I've been toying with getting a reverb 2, but I can wait and see how psvr 2 turns out, or a different pcvr headset

TeKtheSanE

So no.

Immersion were really nice and I wish they could fix the nausea problem, but I fear that the reason is in my brain/ears etc so no can do.

I was this way with the VIVE, it was terrible. I use a Rift S currently and only got that feeling when I played things without smooth locomotion.

I recommend looking into it again come the next round of headsets, just learn about getting your "VR Legs" it will be worth it.

INC

So no.

What games did you play? It can make a huge difference at first, took me a few weeks of 10mins, now I can play for hours no issue, and any game, it does take time

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I'm a huge VR enthusiast. It's the only reason I will buy a PS5... eventually. Right now they have not been focusing on VR, obvious reasons. When they move back to it, I'll think about living up a PS5.

Romulus

VR was my deciding factor in building a new pc. the consoles themselves wont be able to provide an experience even remotely on par

If it weren't for the move controllers, I'd say the first PSVR was pretty comparable to PCVR at release. Granted not as good in some areas, but it was give and take. It's unfair to compared PSVR to current VR, we're talking 4 years ago.

lukilladog

The last time a game platform/system achieved success by selling 10 million units or less was never.

Last edited:

Romulus

The last time a game platform/system was considered a success by selling 10 million units or less was never.

That's your problem right there, you're comparing it to platforms with the bizarre standard you've set. 4 years ago it was under a million sales, so 8x-10x increase sales in 4 years is, well, you just proved why more headsets are coming and VR has more AAA games in the last year than combined throughout its history.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Anytime I put on PSVR it always brings a grin to my bake at how immersive it is and how some games benefit enormously from the added immersion, Skyrim is just something else in VR, infinitely better in VR but graphically it looks a bit dated, not to mention the utter cunt it is to set up with 4 billions wires everywhere, hopefully they'll iron out these niggles with the power of PS5 and improved resolution screens of PSVR2 just in time for Elder Scrolls 6..... Oh wait..

Jtibh

Banned
Resi7 and astrobot are next gen experience for sure.
The rest is just filler.
Skyrim was ok but made me wanna throw up every 5 minutes.

I just wish they can come up with a solution for the insane amount of heat radiating from the head set so i need to have the ac on

RaySoft

I’m sure this will be the year VR takes off...
It's still a niché market, but IF Sony can deliver a "worth-more-than-it-cost" moment, it could take off depending on user adopt-rate.
This will then drive devs to make more, and better, VR experiences, that again will drive more sales both for Sony and the PC market.

Last edited:
Resi7 and astrobot are next gen experience for sure.
The rest is just filler.

you mean you somehow missed Farpoint, Wipeout, SW Squadrons, Blood and Truth, Raw Data, Doom VFR, NMS, Minecraft, Dreams, Killing Floor Incursion, Borderlands and many other "filler"?

I don't even consider RE7 among the best VR. You can only look around in VR, not interact with anything in the game world besides a gamepad...

Skyrim was ok but made me wanna throw up every 5 minutes.

if you rarely play psvr, you won't grow a tolerance

I just wish they can come up with a solution for the insane amount of heat radiating from the head set so i need to have the ac on

I don't feel that heat. My screen brightness is set to 40% but it's OLED so I don't think that helps anything...

it's got excellent releases, but not the kind flatties (want to) hear about

Oculus Quest 2, the standalone marvel will help a lot. But for real widespread adoption, you need the big trendy flat games aboard. That will only happen when psvr2 is here to put the extra hardware in PS5 to actual nextgen gaming. It's already running flat games in 4K 60fps, should be ready for VR mode in most FPS and racers...

Last edited:
I do intend to be an adopter of Sony's VR 2.0, whenever it happens. I previously purchased an Oculus and enjoyed it a lot, but never could convince myself that it was something I needed, nor was it something I yearned to play on a daily basis. But there are a bevy of games I'd love to sample and I don't want to be indebted to FB or bankrupted by Valve in order to do so.

Last edited:

Redlancet

Banned
of course its one reason ,playing star wars squadrons now on psvr its awesome but the res compared to the pc and oculus quest its noticeable,also moves need a overhaul asap

Jtibh

Banned
Dont think so.

Price is a factor and killer titles.

Then there is the whole cable salad issue plus the discomfort either due to it being too hot on your head or that it makes you sick and dizzy.

You cant make 10 plus hour long games cuz of the above and if you make short bite sized games its nothing more than a gimmick.

The tech as far as comfort goes has to evolve and we are not there yet.
Also just look how quick 3d disappeard and now there isnt a single movie or channel or game to support it.
We had killzone 3 unchartrd 3 etc at the peak of 3d tvs and now its gone forever.

Jtibh

Banned
you mean you somehow missed Farpoint, Wipeout, SW Squadrons, Blood and Truth, Raw Data, Doom VFR, NMS, Minecraft, Dreams, Killing Floor Incursion, Borderlands and many other "filler"?

I don't even consider RE7 among the best VR. You can only look around in VR, not interact with anything in the game world besides a gamepad...

if you rarely play psvr, you won't grow a tolerance

I don't feel that heat. My screen brightness is set to 40% but it's OLED so I don't think that helps anything...
Blood and wipeout where ok. Fun titles but i am more into the resi7 and astro style where it feels like you are part of the game you are in it.
Even if its pad only i dont care. Fairpoint was shit. So was robinson .
Doom is stupid i dont like games where you teleport. It again makes me dizzy
I was able to play astro for hours and no issue. It varies from title to title.
And maybe its cuz of gen 1 head set but yes the heat gets to me .

They have to improve the comfort .

apotema

It's a nice addition but I still don't know if I will be able to play with my old camera or I will have to buy a new one / adapter

SilentUser

I'll have to see their next VR solution, but I have to say I'm intrigued by what they could bring to the table. Almost bought PSVR two years ago, but I gave up for some personal reasons (basically lack of time).

Hairsplash

well i regret getting the psvr for christmas... and the the psvr i have does not have the hdr pass-thru... but it was great experience with gran Turismo vr....

but, if the psvr2 has 1920x1080 or higher for both eye and a framerate of 120hz, and i can use it as a screen (4k would be nice, but not necessary... just an oled screen that has 1920x1080 or 2560x1440 resolution

i was depressed that i could not use the PSVR as a true 1920x1080 monitor to play non-vr games (the pixel response of oled is best there is...) non ofbthe projected “fake” monitor stuff...

where it feels like you are part of the game you are in

and somehow you feel more into RE7 hitting Jack with a stupid gamepad than holding guns in your hands in Blood and Truth

alright

motion sickness was an issue to me in the first week or so, not 3 years later. I can play any game for hours.

Rubik8

I love psvr. I recognize it isn't perfect and there are lots of improvements that version 2 could bring. But I love the fact that Sony has embraced the technology for a console. So while not the main reason why I'm one the PS5 train, it definitely helps.

Jtibh

Banned
and somehow you feel more into RE7 hitting Jack with a stupid gamepad than holding guns in your hands in Blood and Truth

alright

motion sickness was an issue to me in the first week or so, not 3 years later. I can play any game for hours.
Hey man i yet have to force myself on any crazy ride ciz of motion sickness. You are lucky that you are use to it.

Yes i prefer me moving myself in vr than being on rail or teleport .
I wish they would have a stick or 2 on the dildos so you can move and act out movements at the same time.

Again they need to improve a lot for me to buy the psvr2 . Simple screen res bump wont do it

So no.

betting you started with either RE7 or Doom, instead of something appropriate for a VRgin, like Superhot or Moss. Manufacturers should really try to inform their customers about tiers of comfort in VR games...

they've been researching into vibrating devices near your skull to help with motion sickness, but it's really a matter of getting to grips with it, giving the body time to adjust to the feeling in very short sessions until you can endure more.

my brother-in-law came to my home and asked to try but I warned him and he dismissed, wanted the most radical thing, so I said fuck it and put him right away into Wipeout Empire Climb track that climbs over a skyscraper and then go down and he seemed to take it pretty good, even repeated. Unfortunately by lunch he was feeling nauseous and after that gone home and never heard what happened, but he never touched VR again :messenger_tears_of_joy: but I warned him

Top Bottom