• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Rayman 4 a party game ?

In any case that's what Ubisoft, relayed by the French Nintendo Official Magazine, seems to think :

partytj3bj4.jpg

partygamesco9vi1.png

They review some of the minigames :

dscn4384vr9yf7.jpg

And here are descriptions and quotes from the interview from the same magazine (thanks to Zang for the quotes) :

Original text

Jing_Ke's translation

gutter_trash's translation

castle007

Banned
"travolta vs. led lapins" :lol

Great graphics, although pics are small.

I am definitely buying this. It looks very fun and fresh

Amir0x

Banned
These aren't english language scans: allowed.

And the concept, explained fully, sounds way worse than I imagined. I guess I will pass of Rayman 4 after all, Ancel or no.

If by party game, if you are asking if I'll be playing it in my underwear with a couple of 40s, then, yes, it's a party game.

Amir0x said:
These aren't english language scans: allowed.

And the concept, explained fully, sounds way worse than I imagined. I guess I will pass of Rayman 4 after all, Ancel or no.

You KNOW it probably won't be as bad as some of think, so why aren't you willing to give it a shot at least ? What if it is a very good minigame collection/party-game/whatever ? You will still pass it because it's not the Rayman you wanted ? Come on... Unless you're like completely sick of this type of game, I don't see a good reason to hate it for the moment, I must say.

Stormbringer said:
You KNOW it probably won't be as bad as some of think, so why aren't you willing to give it a shot at least ? What if it is a very good minigame collection/party-game/whatever ? You will still pass it because it's not the Rayman you wanted ? Come on... Unless you're like completely sick of this type of game, I don't see a good reason to hate it for the moment, I must say.
I have yet to find a mini-game/party style game that I cared for in the least bit.

pitt_norton

Ancel said in another intrview that Beyond Good And Evil gave him the inspiration to take Rayman in this direction... In my opinion there's gonna be some meat around the bones.

Billy Rygar said:
I have yet to find a mini-game/party style game that I cared for in the least bit.

If, from experience, you definitely dislike this type of game, I guess that seals the deal for you. Personally, I'm not particularly fan of the minigames collections or party games either, but this game sounds so fun that I just can't let it pass without at least trying it.

Stormbringer said:
Handibility (Control)

The way of Wario Ware: Smooth moves, each mini game proposes a different control.
On som, we us the Wiimote, on others we use the nunchucku. But each time, the control taking in hand is intuitive and immidiate.

gutter_trash said:
Handibility (Control)

The way of Wario Ware: Smooth moves, each mini game proposes a different control.
On some, we us the Wiimote, on others we use the nunchucku. But each time, the control taking in hand is intuitive and immidiate.

i'm not going to reword the translation to find words that make sense, i nabbed the words closest to their word used to not screw the translation

No more comments on the subject ? Seems like people were expecting that news at all. So almost no one is really surprised or particularly interested in it anymore, I guess.

pitt_norton

Stormbringer said:
No more comments on the subject ? Seems like people were expecting that news at all. So almost no one is really surprised or particularly interested in it anymore, I guess.

Rayman is one of my must have games at Wii launch. I eagerly await the translation that gutter_trash is amassing for us!

*bolded words I did not understand*
[translation]

The game is composed of TWO main modes.
First the story mode, wich is organised of FIFTEEN days (virtuals, duh).
Each day, you start in your cell. At first, she woud verry glauque!
Since you geôle, you can pass by the arena of rabbits, where you await the challenges.
You will try FIVE mini games per day: FOUR challenges and one type of boss.
The more and more you succeed, the more the rabbits will apreciate you and offer you objects of comfort for your cell (DON'T ASk!).
You can unlock idiot bonuses like ringards costumes and disco music. When in the 2nd world, you are permitted to simply replay de mini-games freely, single of even better, multi-player!

Next after that, the membres test a few mini-games that Nintendo wanted Ubisoft to show from their game.
Then comes the interview with some snipits:

-Nintendo Le Mag asks: But from the start, you planned on making a mini-game title?
Adrien Lacey (game designer) answers: Nope, in the begining, we wanted to make a classic platformer.
And then after we received the Wii dev kits, we brainstorm tons of ideas that we had to make a party game to exploit all of this!
We had recourse to a box (sugestion box) where each of us dropped on their ideas. Then, we made a raffle and chose withc ones were more doable and wich wern't.

-NLMO asks But these are not mini-games of a few secondes like WarioWare.
AL answers: Not all. Sure there a few challenges that are shorter, douzen of secondes. But certainly, like the doom-like, the phases of combat where the runs last for quite a few minutes.
On top of that, there is a scenario that links up everything together, a real progression.

-NLMO asks: There will be mini games?
AL answers: We were only the reveal you about a dozen, those Nintendo wanted us to show. But in the final version, there will be 70, spreaded out in different universes.

[/translation]

now commit suicide

pitt_norton said:
Rayman is one of my must have games at Wii launch. I eagerly await the translation that gutter_trash is amassing for us!

Oh, you know, it's not like I proposed him to translate a new article ; it's just what I have already posted in my original post, in a better English. I would love to find and try to translate other parts of the NLMO article though.

gutter >>> Thanks a lot for your translation. I'm adding that to the original post.

[edit] Oh, and if you want to know : Geôle = Jail , ringards = old-fashioned, and glauque = creepy.

castle007

Banned
gutter_trash said:
*bolded words I did not understand*
[translation]

The game is composed of TWO main modes.
First the story mode, wich is organised of FIFTEEN days (virtuals, duh).
Each day, you start in your cell. At first, she woud verry glauque!
Since you geôle, you can pass by the arena of rabbits, where you await the challenges.
You will try FIVE mini games per day: FOUR challenges and one type of boss.
The more and more you succeed, the more the rabbits will apreciate you and offer you objects of comfort for your cell (DON'T ASk!).
You can unlock idiot bonuses like ringards costumes and disco music. When in the 2nd world, you are permitted to simply replay de mini-games freely, single of even better, multi-player!

Next after that, the membres test a few mini-games that Nintendo wanted Ubisoft to show from their game.
Then comes the interview with some snipits:

-Nintendo Le Mag asks: But from the start, you planned on making a mini-game title?
Adrien Lacey (game designer) answers: Nope, in the begining, we wanted to make a classic platformer.
And then after we received the Wii dev kits, we brainstorm tons of ideas that we had to make a party game to exploit all of this!
We had recourse to a box (sugestion box) where each of us dropped on their ideas. Then, we made a raffle and chose withc ones were more doable and wich wern't.

-NLMO asks But these are not mini-games of a few secondes like WarioWare.
AL answers: Not all. Sure there a few challenges that are shorter, douzen of secondes. But certainly, like the doom-like, the phases of combat where the runs last for quite a few minutes.
On top of that, there is a scenario that links up everything together, a real progression.

-NLMO asks: There will be mini games?
AL answers: We were only the reveal you about a dozen, those Nintendo wanted us to show. But in the final version, there will be 70, spreaded out in different universes.

[/translation]

now commit suicide

just 70??

castle007 said:
just 70??

Apparently, yes. How many games or mini-games is there usually in this kind of game ? For instance, in the Mario Party ?

[edit] Just found : about 70-80 minigames. Sounds right to me.

BigBoss

Nintendo Le Mag asks: But from the start, you planned on making a mini-game title?
Adrien Lacey (game designer) answers: Nope, in the begining, we wanted to make a classic platformer. And then after we received the Wii dev kits, we brainstorm tons of ideas that we had to make a party game to exploit all of this!

Just imagine, if the Wii didn't exist we would have the chance to play another aweseome Rayman platformer but now we get a bunch of minigames instead. Hopefully Ancel doesn't make Beyond Good and Evil 2 and turn it into a collection of minigames, the Wii has poisoned the minds of developers. For shame Nintendo, for shame.

BigBoss said:
Just imagine, if the Wii didn't exist we would have the chance to play another aweseome Rayman platformer but now we get a bunch of minigames instead. Hopefully Ancel doesn't make Beyond Good and Evil 2 and turn it into a collection of minigames, the Wii has poisoned the minds of developers. For shame Nintendo, for shame.

vanderbeakcry.jpg

BigBoss said:

Alright :lol ...

Angelcurio

BigBoss said:
sig.gif
sig.gif
sig.gif

sig.gif
sig.gif
sig.gif

Jing_Ke

Here's a slightly more complete translation if you're still interested.

The game is comprised of two pricipal modes. First the story mode, which is organised into fifteen days (virtual, evidently). Each day, you begin in your cell. At the start things are very sinister! From your slammer, you can enter the Rabbit Arena, where you wait for the events. You can attempt five mini-games each day - four events and one boss encounter. Depending on your rate of success, the rabbits will congratulate you and offer objects of comfort for your cell (I'm guessing you will get to design your cell or something?). You can unlock amusing bonuses such as tacky costumes and disco music! When in the second mode you can replay the mini-games freely, either playing by yourself, or multiplayer!

After that, the dev team demonstrated some mini-games that Nintendo wished for Ubisoft to show of its game. Next came the interview of which here are some quotes:

Nintendo Magazine asks: But from the start, you proposed to make a mini-games title?

Adrien Lacey (game designer) replies: No, at the start, we wanted to make a classical platformer. And then when we received the development kits for the Wii, we saw what was possible to produce. We had too many great ideas for a party game that would take advantage of all that (Wii controls I assume)! We resorted to a box into which everyone slid an idea. Next, we separated those ideas that were feasable and those that were not...

NM asks: But these are not like the mini-games in WarioWare that only last a few seconds...

AL replies: No, and rightly so. Rest assured, there are some events that are very short, around ten seconds or so. But in certain events, like the Doom-style event, the combat portions or courses last several minutes! In addition there is a scenario in which events are linked together, in order or succession (a progression).

NL asks: Are there a lot of mini-games?

AL replies: Here we have shown maybe around ten events or so, those which Nintendo thought would be good for demonstrative purposes. But the final version will have around seventy, spread out in different worlds.

Amir0x

Banned
Stormbringer said:

The vast majority of mini-game collections do nothing for me - and certainly, I don't care to play a Rayman game that does this. Wario Ware is fun, but because of the way it approached the idea of mini-games - and that concept is quickly wearing thin. I'm not saying it might not still be fun, but, I don't care to have mini-games muck up another solid franchise. Just not for me. Sure it'll appeal to some people, but I don't find the commercials for Raving Rabbids funny either so it's really stretching to bother when there's other quality games for Wii coming out that will deliver what I desire. It's also worth noting I have even less desire to try mini-game titles when I know it's going to be an excersize in looking like a god-damned retard waggling around the room.

Jing_Ke

Sounds like there's going to be some sort of hub system or something, where there will technically be platforming (if you count walking and possibly jumping from your cell to the arena), but for the most part just mini-games that implement the Wiimote somehow.

I suppose it is possible that there will be platforming elements within some of the mini-games though. Still, I kind of wish this were a real Rayman platformer...

P.S. I hope you can play as Globox, Ly, Murfy et al. somehow

pitt_norton

Jing_Ke said:
Sounds like there's going to be some sort of hub system or something, where there will technically be platforming...

That's how I interpret Ancel's comment of the Beyond Good And Evil inspiration for Rayman 4...

... and if you look at the trailer that came out during E3 this year, there's a short clip of Rayman "jumping" over a body of water. That looks like platforming to me.

Amir0x >>> Yes, I think this game is definitely not for you at all.
And I can totally understand that if from the start, you don't adhere to the concept of the Wiimote ,which seems to be the case, correct me if I'm wrong, you won't like a game which will use the controller to a certain extent. That's obvious.

DyersEve >>> *What Jing_Ke said*

Amir0x

Banned
Stormbringer said:
Amir0x >>> Yes, I think this game is definitely not for you at all.
And I can totally understand that if from the start, you don't adhere to the concept of the Wiimote ,which seems to be the case, correct me if I'm wrong, you won't like a game which will use the controller to a certain extent. That's obvious.

Oh no, I intend to use it in many games - I just prefer the relatively restrained approach, ala Metroid Prime III. When Wiimote is married to mini-game runs, that's when it's at its absolutely most unappealing imo.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Sounds like Conker, as I expected

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

jarosh

GaimeGuy said:
Sounds like Conker, as I expected

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
what are you talking about? that's nothing like conker. conker had actual platforming.

Amir0x

Banned
jarosh said:
what are you talking about? that's nothing like conker. conker had actual platforming.

As I understand it, there are a few 'platforming' challenges... but, yeah this is nothing like Conker.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
okay, conker with less emphasis on the platforming and more emphasis on the crazy context sensitive events and flying around as a bat, rolling a stone, riding a board across lava in a racer, fighting a war against teddiez, riding in a tank, controlling a dinosaur in a colosseum battle, going Matrix on a bunch of enemies, and controlling a robot.

There, happy? :p

edit:

Oh, and fighting a bunch of hay on a pitchfork thingy.

Amir0x

Banned
well yes see GaimeGuy the problem is the majority of conker is centered around action platforming with the odd gimmick on the side, which is not remotely like Rayman 4.

jarosh

Amir0x said:
As I understand it, there are a few 'platforming' challenges... but, yeah this is nothing like Conker.
yeah sure. it has 'platforming challenges' as in 'platforming minigames' but it's not a platformer... it's like, uhm... oh wait

Amir0x said:
well yes see GaimeGuy the problem is the majority of conker is centered around action platforming with the odd gimmick on the side, which is not remotely like Rayman 4.
yeah. pretty much

Top Bottom