• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is RE 7 looking good?

gow3isben

Honestly it look like shit and I hate the direction they are taking it. That is the problem sometimes. Developers go wayyy overboard to rectify past mistakes. Well at least it isn't open world like every game these days.

I don't need to quote articles for the puzzles because there is a video already showing that you rotate 3D objects to match the shadow on the wall. Then again, that's not really a puzzle, you're just hoping something eventually happens. It's similar to this dumb puzzle. Both games involve holding the object in front of you, rotating them to "fit". The older RE had puzzles with actual environment interaction like moving a statue or using mathematical skills to adjust dials or some machine numerical capacity to reach a certain number.

While Amnesia had no combat, it's a poor comparison for puzzles. When it comes to difficulty, there's not much difference between your video and classic RE. Games like 2 in particular are actually even less sophisticated than that. Anyway, the item management, combining, health management, exploration, combat decision making and puzzle solving will go far beyond anything P.T. and Outlast. It's not even comparable. Environment interaction is even in the demo, but once again modernized. In old RE you'd run along the wall mashing X until the chimney says ,, you can see a lever behind", while in RE7 you actually maneuver your character there.

And we don't yet know that the Bakers are the Nemesis/Lisa Trevor. Besides, in Resident Evil 3 you could actually kill Nemesis during regular gameplay. In Resident Evil 2 you could kill Mr. X during regular gameplay (albeit, super difficult to) and in REmake you killed Lisa Trevor as the story permitted. RE7? NOPE! Can't kill the Bakers because plot armour.

You could stun Nemesis, just like you can stun the Bakers. In RE3 there were small cutscenes showing him regaining consciousness, in RE7 it's real time (because it's not the 90s anymore). And how would you know the story? The Bakers never dying in the plot doesn't really sound like a realistic scenario.

SomTervo

As someone who thinks that RE4 is among the best games of all time, RE7 hasn't managed to get me interested in it at all so far.

What are the best videos or trailers which portray what the game is about? So far all I think of is stuff like Alien: Isolation from what I saw. Which is absolutely nothing I'd like to see from a RE game.

Written previews are probably better than trailers. They talk about large, open, labyrinthine environments; intense crowd situations like Resi 4; puzzles and setting development like Resi 1.

None of that is really captured in the trailers.

Fruitster

It's very different, but it does look at the very least that Resi 7 is frightening and unnerving to play - that is very welcome.

dancmc

Let's look at this article from just 4 months ago, around the time when the trailers for the game were releasing.

Let's look at another article here, describing one of the VHS segments.

Still not convinced somehow? Let's look at one from just 2 weeks ago.

I guess these are all utterly false descriptions of the game, though.

These quotes are troubling to me at least. I really am not interested in running away from invincible enemies for good portions of the game.

ianpm31

Love how they are bring back many of the old survival horror elements from past games while blending it with modern horror. Based off previews from many sites it seems like RE7 is the real deal. Already preordered the digital deluxe so I'm ready to go

Mifec

Looked pretty good as in day 1 buy for me until Denuvo reared it's ugly head in Capcom games. Now it looks like a $20 game.

RSB

Banned
As a fan of both classic and action RE, I gotta say no, it's not looking good at all IMO. From what I've played, and from what I know of the final game thanks to the previews, the game looks completely unappealing to me.

The look and feel of the game are so different from every other game on the franchise that it seems like it happens in a completely diffrent universe, which I hate. The gameplay feels like shit (painfully slow slow movement speed, awful gunplay, etc) and the new style is boring and derivative AF (at least with RE4 they tried something new and different)

RE is my favorite videogame franchise, but I really don't want to see it heading in this direction, so RE7 is gonna be the first mainline game I skip (vote with your wallet and all that)

It's ok though, I still have high hopes for the RE2 Remake, and I also think we'll see more action RE in the future (a stand alone Mercs+Raid game would be amazing) so I'm not too worried (yet)

ianpm31

As a fan of both classic and action RE, I gotta say no, it's not looking good at all IMO. From what I've played, and from what I know of the final game thanks to the previews, the game looks completely unappealing to me.

The look and feel of the game are so different from every other game on the franchise that it seems like it happens in a completely diffrent universe, which I hate. The gameplay feels like shit (painfully slow slow movement speed, awful gunplay, etc) and the new style is boring and derivative AF (at least with RE4 they tried something new and different)

RE is my favorite videogame franchise, but I really don't want to see it heading in this direction, so RE7 is gonna be the first mainline game I skip (vote with your wallet and all that)

It's ok though, I still have high hopes for the RE2 Remake, and I also think we'll see more action RE in the future (a stand alone Mercs+Raid game would be amazing) so I'm not too worried (yet)

Are you sure you are a fan of classic RE's? Classic RE's had tank controls and the gunplay is nothing to write home about either.

KyleCross

It's a modernized version of classic "old" Resident Evil and has nothing to do with modern walking simulators, unless you judge it solely on the fact that it has a different POV now. RE7 takes the only advantage of said titles (potentially bigger immersion) and for the first time uses it for a AAA real survival horror game.
Why did you take issue with me calling it a "modern horror game?" You seem to attach your own opinion on what that means, I never said anything about it being a "walking simulator." Y'all need to stop with the whole "It's classic RE but just in a different perspective!" It's not.

I think I might dabble in this for pc, given the fact my nephew ends up playing all my PS4 games and I never see them again, what I have seen looks decent.

Riposte

It is, it's actually part of the reason why I think RE7 might do better in sales than some think. It is the first big PSVR title and full-fledged game designed will full VR support at launch. It's also the first really big game to come out for PSVR, and as PSVR has been a success (apparently it's sold over 500,000 units in Japan alone, and getting into the millions worldwide), RE7 is probably going to benefit a lot from being in the right place at the right time.

I believe this game is being predicted to do absolutely horrible in Japan, which is bad news for everyone, really.

The best thing for me is "all that stupid shit" is still canon in this universe. So might not be here for this game, but it still happened.

Does it? Jake going toe to toe melee with the Ustanak isn't canon, but done for gameplay and cool factor. Becca and Billy didn't actually go to the Raccoon City lab, despite visiting there in RE0. There was one missile to the city, not multiple like in Outbreak. Stuff happens in gameplay and even cutscenes that doesn't stick when all is said and done.

Why did you take issue with me calling it a "modern horror game?" You seem to attach your own opinion on what that means, I never said anything about it being a "walking simulator." Y'all need to stop with the whole "It's classic RE but just in a different perspective!" It's not.

It's a lot closer to the classic style than any modern horror game and the past few RE titles, so no, people don't have to stop.

RSB

Banned
Are you sure you are a fan of classic RE's? Classic RE's had tank controls and the gunplay is nothing to write home about either.
Yeah, the gunplay in the classic RE games was nothing to write home about, but it never bothered me. Probably because the expectations are completely different when it comes to a first person game. Maybe the final game will be better, but the (little) gunplay present in the RE7 demo felt like complete shit.

The movement in the classic RE game has always felt great to me (tank controls FTW) The movement in the RE7 demo, on the other hand, feels unresponsive and slow as fuck (and again, the expectations are not the same for a first person game)

Seriously.

Jawmuncher

Does it? Jake going toe to toe melee with the Ustanak isn't canon, but done for gameplay and cool factor. Becca and Billy didn't actually go to the Raccoon City lab, despite visiting there in RE0. There was one missile to the city, not multiple like in Outbreak. Stuff happens in gameplay and even cutscenes that doesn't stick when all is said and done.

It's a lot closer to the classic style than any modern horror game and the past few RE titles, so no, people don't have to stop.

When was Jake going against Ustanak non-canon?
Plus a lot of the smaller things such a chris punching a boulder aren't worth going out of their way to retcon.

If the endearingly convoluted way of getting a key or a pistol in the demo didn't feel like RE to you, I don't understand how you perceived this series in the past. Survival revolves around save rooms and storage boxes, combining items and backtracking. There's updated versions of Nemesis. In 3rd person there'd be no discussion about the game structure being a modern take on classic RE.

Yeah, the gunplay in the classic RE games was nothing to write home about, but it never bothered me. Probably because the expectations are completely different when it comes to a first person game. Maybe the final game will be better, but the (little) gunplay present in the RE7 demo felt like complete shit.

The movement in the classic RE game has always felt great to me (tank controls FTW) The movement in the RE7 demo, on the other hand, feels unresponsive and slow as fuck (and again, the expectations are not the same for a first person game)

Felt fine to me, maybe adjust the turning sensitivity in the options a little but its far from unresponsive. Its not COD, so the slower speed is more deliberate, just like how the tank controls in the original games were slow and a little clunky.

I love the original games and didn't have a problem with the controls either but they are still slow and clunky.

Sayad

This is strange, movement felt exactly like a classic RE game to me, slow, sluggish but accurate. All the way to a "turn back" action and not so fast run! Even the tank control is still there, but I guess that's every FPS ever! ;p

Ninjimbo

There's really no way to tell. I'm looking forward to the game but I can't help but feel the sting of not having the old cast and crew. Now I have to deal with some guy looking for his wife on a farm somewhere. When it comes to horror, the backwoods aesthetic is something I've never liked.

I'll see how it is, but as I've said before, if it weren't Resident Evil, this game wouldn't even be on my radar because everything I've seen and heard goes against what I want from my videogames these days.

RSB

Banned
Felt fine to me, maybe adjust the turning sensitivity in the options a little but its far from unresponsive. Its not COD, so the slower speed is more deliberate, just like how the tank controls in the original games were slow and a little clunky.

I love the original games and didn't have a problem with the controls either but they are still slow and clunky.
AFAIK there's no way to change the movement speed in the demo, sluggish and unresponsive is the only available setting. You can change the aim sensitivity, but the gunplay feels like shit no matter what.

The classic games never felt unresponsive or clunky, in fact, they are still a joy to play (and tank controls will never not be perfect for fixed camera angles)

This is strange, movement felt exactly like a classic RE game to me, slow, sluggish but accurate. All the way to a "turn back" action and not so fast run! Even the tank control is still there, but I guess that's every FPS ever! ;p
I'm pretty sure you can strafe in RE7 (thank god, because tank controls would feel awful on a first person game)

AFAIK there's no way to change the movement speed in the demo, sluggish and unresponsive is the only available setting. You can change the aim sensitivity, but the gunplay feels like shit no matter what.

Sure there is. Play the game in VR and you completely change all of the above.

While I'm sure the game will still be good on a flat screen, I personally feel that it's a game they really want people to play in VR first. VR isn't an after thought here. It's something that has clearly influenced nearly every gameplay decision.

The REengine was clearly developed to power VR experiences, and was first shown off doing exactly that.

Sort of like how RE5 was a game you really should have played co-op, I think this is a game that you really should play in VR. You don't have to. It may well kick ass without it... but I truly get the sense that it was 'make work in VR first, flat screen second' and not the other way around.

butman

By far the best experience I have had with VR and absolutely incredible in its own right.

RE is the return of the franchise for me.

That's the problem.

It's a game built directly after the success of first person horror games, there's a clear influence, and focused for VR experience/Youtubers reaction videos.

None of this things existed when classic RE kicked asses back in the day. So NO. It's not a return of the franchise in any case, it took another very different course "with classic elements of the series" of which I am not interested at all. Because is not classic RE.

The classic games never felt unresponsive or clunky, in fact, they are still a joy to play (and tank controls will never not be perfect for fixed camera angles)

I'm pretty sure you can strafe in RE7 (thank god, because tank controls would feel awful on a first person game)

I guess people will believe what they like then but the RE7 controls are fine, 100% definitely not unresponsive at all, at least not on PS4. I've not played the Xbox version, so can't comment on that version.

That's the problem.

It's a game built directly after the success of first person horror games and focused for VR experience/Youtubers reaction videos.

None of this things existed when classic RE kicked asses back in the day. So NO. It's not a return of the franchise in any case, it took another very different course "with classic elements of the series" of which I am not interested at all. Because is not classic RE.

RE6 left me out in the cold, so I can fully empathize here. I loved every mainline game up to and including 5. When 4 completely reinvented itself, that upset a lot of people who loved the older games, and that's something I get. They too claimed that RE4 wasn't really 'Resident Evil'.

When RE6 was a game for the Vanquish crowd, I didn't say 'Oh it's not Resident Evil'... because I think at this point, reinvention and rebirth are inherently 'Resident Evil'.

It's not classic RE, no. But RE is also clearly in the games DNA. The environment. The pacing. The limited resources. All of these things hark back to the earliest games in the series, even as it changes the perspective and the systems.

Yes, it's not REmake2, and yes, I would love another game like that...

But what it is, is something I haven't played before. A bonafide AAA full fat VR game, that melds old school survival horror mechanics with an emerging series of gameplay paradigms. There's nothing I've played yet like this game. Will it be good or bad? I'm not sure.

Does it suck for people that aren't interested in VR? Of course. Like I said, RE6 was a game that wasn't designed for me, and as a long fan of the series that sucked. But I don't begrudge everyone that liked it.

As the franchise again pivots, some people are going to get left out in the cold again. But I've been invited back in with the warmest goddamn hug I've ever experienced.

So, yes. RE7 isn't for everyone. But then none of them are.

RE7 feels like a heartfelt apology to me. Maybe RE8 (or RE2make) will feel like an apology to you.

Me, I can't believe I'm playing a new Resident Evil game next month, and that it's the first full length AAA VR title that any company has released. As a VR lover, and as someone who counts the Resident Evil series as his absolute favorite, I can't think of anything more exciting right now.

I forget when I first floated the idea of a VR version of REmake as one of my ideal games. But here it is, essentially.

Resident Evil 4 has stood as my favorite game for over a decade. It replaced The Secret of Monkey Island that had been my favorite for fifteen years.

I don't know if Resident Evil 7 will supplant RE4, but that I'm even letting myself hope that it might, says a lot about how much this game appeals to someone like me.

Amnesia, Outlast and RE7 are all first person horror games that focus on a single protagonist "trapped" inside their environment. Amnesia popularised the whole running around in first person running into trigger box scares every 10 seconds to artificially build a hollow atmosphere, in other words no matter how many times you play the game or how you feel, those jump scares will always play.

You mean like the majority of jump scares in the other Resident Evil games? Trapped inside your environment, like in Resident Evil? Or Code Veronica?

It also included a generic monster that you're forced to run away from and and hide from. No combat. The "puzzles" the game had largely involved holding an object in 3D and moving it around until something happens since the way the game's framework is there isn't much logic to be had on the player's side since the game limits the amount of possibilities due to the restrictions of said puzzle.

You mean like a lot of puzzles in REmake which involved turning them around in 3D until they were in the right place? You mean like running from Mr X, or Nemesis?

Outlast... pretty much the same thing, forced walking, going into some spooky place getting trapped, forced to run, generic enemies saying random crap to you, trigger box scripted scares. Shoving NPC faces in front of the player cam to get dem YouTube reaction views up, instead of building atmosphere, a sense of dread and doom and isolation (ala old Silent Hills (heh, get it?)) it's lazier, cheaper and easier just to shove some models in front of the camera and play a loud noise.

RE7 again pretty much the same thing, just tweaked a bit to make sure it all happens with VR! Forced walking, scripted triggerbox scares, shoving models in front of the player camera, rotating 3D objects until something happens, all in first person of course. Also you're playing as a literal faceless character like in Amnesia and Outlast. Also, you're forced to run away from spooky scary generic monsters saying random crap to you and you have to hide from them. Yes that is a mechanic in the game, hiding, straight from the mouth of Capcom.

So in fact all three games are very similar, just portrayed under different graphics.
You've listed a bunch of things that were in some or all of the previous Resident Evil games. What the heck is 'forced walking' anyways? You can run in RE7, just as you can in the other games. The environment seems to open up very much the same way it did in the original game, rather than being something linear like Outlast.

Sayad

Tanks can strafe too, so could you in a lot of games with tank control(see classic Tomb Raider). Strafing doesn't negate the tank controllness of the game. ;p

When was Jake going against Ustanak non-canon?
Plus a lot of the smaller things such a chris punching a boulder aren't worth going out of their way to retcon.

Think Newsbot said in the past that Jake doesn't actually have that strength, but done that way for a fun fight
which it was

bidguy

Banned
the only worry i have is the same one i had with re1. will the house be big enough ?

hopefuly theyll surprise me again lol

SexyFish

Banned
If previews are indicative of the final product this may be another GOTY in January like Mass Effect 2.

Please be fucking good.

Jawmuncher

Think Newsbot said in the past that Jake doesn't actually have that strength, but done that way for a fun fight
which it was

Eh, I won't count that as it being non-canon. Could be a feat of last minute strength, like when people raise a car to save someone. I mean at the end of the day the caharactets follow the super hero formula where they do what the team wants them to do.

So unless capcom goes out of their way to retcon it. I can buy that he used determination to win the fight.

Lucentto

Banned
What the fuck does walking simulator even mean? Is that term referring to games like Outlast and Amnesia? Even if it does that doesn't make any sense.

wbacon

Capcom USA
PC Demo goes live on the 19th. All they've shown is the PC options, courtesy of wbacon:

d24b1846ec75261be1369604b7a247a0c4890d10.jpg

Graphics Options:
Screen Resolution…self-explanatory here, but the game will list arbitrary resolutions supported by your monitor and Windows desktop environment.
Refresh Rate…adjustable to frequencies supported by your monitor. Also supports 144Hz high refresh monitors including Nvidia G-Sync.
Display Mode…Full screen, Windowed, and Borderless Window modes are supported
Field of View…FOV angle can be adjusted here
Frame Rate…supports 30, 60, and Variable (uncapped)
V-Sync…ON/OFF
Rendering Method…Two options available - Normal and Interlaced
Resolution Scaling…controls the game’s internal rendering resolution. This is akin to upscaling and downsampling of the final video output. Selectable option ranges from 0.5X to 2.0X. 1.0X is 100% 1:1 native output. The higher the number, the better the image quality and more GPU ‘oomph’ required, while lowering it below 1.0 makes the image softer (but also reduces GPU overhead and increases frame rate).
Texture Quality…option ranges from Very Low to Very High. Higher quality requires additional local video memory.
Texture Filtering…option ranges from Very Low to Very High. Internally, this is essentially your Trilinear to Anisotropic filter that goes all the way up to 16X.
Mesh Quality…option ranges between Low to Very High. This option also affects Level-of-Detail (LOD) quality.
Anti-Aliasing…Selectable options include FXAA, TAA, FXAA+TAA, and SMAA.
Motion Blur…ON/OFF toggle
Effects Rendering…Selectable between Low, Medium and High. This controls the intensity and density of certain visual effects.
Depth of Field…ON/OFF toggle
Shadow Quality…option ranges from Very Low to Very High.
Dynamic Shadows…ON/OFF toggle
Shadow Cache…ON/OFF toggle. When set to ON, shadows for static objects will be cached in video memory.
Ambient Occlusion…Selectable options include OFF, SSAO (Variable), SSAO, and HBAO+. Note HBAO+[www.geforce.com] is an Nvidia-specific feature.
Bloom Effect…ON/OFF toggle
Lens Flare…ON/OFF toggle
Volumetric Lighting Quality…Selectable between OFF, Low, and High. This option controls intensity and quality of dynamic lighting including light shafts piercing through window panes and vents.
Reflections…Selectable between ON, OFF, and Variable. Affects fidelity and quality of screen-space reflections.
Subsurface Scattering…ON/OFF toggle
Chromatic Aberration…ON/OFF toggle
Color Space…Selectable between SRGB and BT.709

---

And they claim that's just the graphics options, much more PC exclusive options for the game as well we'll see when the demo hits on the 19th, as they'll all be in the demo.

We've locked down the release time of the demo. It'll go live worldwide, simultaneously according per the time table below:

−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−
UTC 12/19 00:00
PST 12/18 16:00 (Americas)
GMT 12/19 00:00 (Europe)
JST 12/19 09:00 (Japan)
HKT 12/19 08:00 (Asia)
−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−

Quick note on the graphics option. We had to disable borderless windowed mode at the last minute due to a bug the team has encountered. Rather than delaying the demo, we're just going to disable it. It'll still be in the final game -- just not the demo at this time.

Aside from that, there will be tons of PC-centric customization options in the demo that I hope will satisfy PC gamers.

SexyFish

Banned
What the fuck does walking simulator even mean? Is that term referring to games like Outlast and Amnesia? Even if it does that doesn't make any sense.

People use it to refer to games like Firewatch and Gone Home, where (some people say) the most of what you do is walk and get narrative told to you.

The term is fucking idiotic.

As someone who was pretty lukewarm on the demo, reading this thread is getting me pretty excited despite not liking any of the recent trailers.

As someone who was pretty lukewarm on the demo, reading this thread is getting me pretty excited despite not liking any of the recent trailers.

The marketing has been weak, between redundant footage, a largely unrepresentative demo, and a continuing focus on said demo in marketing despite supposedly not a part of the main game.

More things like the press blowout would be welcome.

FrankWza

But the over the shoulder view and the melee brawler switch ups were not? That just seems like a very shallow take on what makes a game the game it is.

As for the mood, it's like a hybrid of RE1 and REmake. The camp is there, though we've only seen it evidenced in the Baker dialogue and Ethan's quips. Instead of of Romero zombie films, Die Hard, The Rock, and Black Hawk Down, this game is taking inspirations from The Evil Dead and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. We haven't seen much of the other NPCs, including returning cast, to gauge how things will match them.

Oh theyhave totally been guilty of doing this. Jumping the GeOW bandwagon too. Thats kind of whati mean. Go back to what makes RE awesome. If thats what they are doing with their tone and atmosphere, thats great to hear. Why not keep it in tp view? They tinker too much For me at least, fp view is not an r.e. game. Its a huge difference in a game. At this point in the series it too radical of a change.

The OP quite clearly doesn't want to know any of this stuff

Yes, OP it's looking fantastic. It's looking like the closest to 1,2,3 and 4 we've had since (although i think Revelations 2 is pretty damn good, personally).

What you're saying is true of the Resi 7 demo. Not the whole game.

Evidently the whole game has loads of weapons, puzzles, more obvious enemies and a labyrinthine adventure like the early games. The perspective does not a game make.

The DEMO was like PT because it was a very short proof of concept, going for atmosphere over gameplay mechanics.

Why people base an entire game on a tailor-made demo is beyond me

Im just not a fan of a series changing its view from 3rd personto first person. It doesnt make a game but it can break a game. Im still lookingfor a 3rd person shooter to replace socom. Just not necessary.

Top Bottom