• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Skyrim the most supported game of all time?

Is Skyrim the most supported game of all time?

• Yes

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • No (my suggestion in the comments)

Votes: 27 65.9%

• Total voters
I would agree IF my old xbox360 copy was part of the backwards compatible program. It's weirdly not.
But it would be kind of silly to play the old xb360 version when more updated ones are available already.

DOOM goes back so far you can't even begin to count it, that's the problem. People used to hand-trade CDs with WADs and levels on that are completely lost to time, the game's nearly 30 years old. Coupled with the fact that the number of unofficial ports/supported platforms is unfathomable, I would still say DOOM over anything else, but that's going on a very vague "overall historical support" which is immeasurable, so it doesn't mean all that much. Skyrim has the benefit of being released in a modern age where the internet was already being written in ink.
Yeah, there were tons of "retail" DOOM compilation CDs that were full of thousands of WADs, utilities, etc back in the day. Can you imagine thousands of levels, on a CD, in the 90s before widespread internet? Now imagine how many more actually existed that were hosted on BBSes, traded between friends, etc.

16276526052485614320824065989776.jpg.134ed9237c0aa87d37a8b730aacd26ed.jpg

Merkades

I am going to go with EverQuest. It was released in March of 1999 and has gotten 28 full expansions since, and is still getting them even today.

Skyrim may have 58,000 different releases, but EQ actually gets new content, which is far more meaningful imo.

Also, I have not played Skyrim (or GTAV for that matter).

Edit for EQ - I just checked and it's 29th expansion is scheduled for beta this October. Not even going to bother checking how many patches for support it has gotten in more than 2 decades.

Second Edit - This also applies to Doom. Sure it runs everywhere, but it is still the same game with little to nothing new. EQ is about to launch it's 29th expansion. *That* is support. Not we ported it to a fridge.

Last edited:
Top Bottom