• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Skyrim the most supported game of all time?

Is Skyrim the most supported game of all time?

• Yes

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • No (my suggestion in the comments)

Votes: 27 65.9%

• Total voters

Matt_Fox

qdGLSUw.jpg

Across the whole history of gaming can anyone think of a game that's been more supported than Skyrim?

The latest announcement of the Anniversary Edition and next gen upgrade in Nov of this year mark the next upgrade in a long line of official support from Bethesda. And then there is the unofficial support from the modding community, which began 10 years ago when the game released and continues strong to this day.

Skyrim's post-launch support now includes:

Patches
DLC
Ports
Legendary Edition/Special Edition/Anniversary Edition
VR version
Creation Club (official mods)
Modding community 60,000+ (unofficial mods)

All this added to a game that at launch already included 100+ hours of content.

I know the latest announcement of the Anniversary Edition has drawn gasps of incredulity, because we simply aren't used to this. But for me there is something deeply admirable here. Can any other game claim to have been shown such longterm support from both the devs and the community?

Andodalf

Banned
Only if we’re counting mods really.

the game has had 2 main versions, plus switch and VR ports.

Anniversary is just a bundle with a next gen patch. If you want to call it a new version you need to call the Ps4 pro and XOX patched SE it’s own edition as well I guess

Soodanim

Gold Member
Not even close.

H2x1_NSwitchDS_DOOM1993_image1600w.jpg
You're right, it's not even close, either way you look at it. Purely by developer support, Doom's everywhere.
If we're going by OP's definition, which includes mods - Doom has nowhere near the combined support Skyrim has.

Current Nexusmods.com numbers are at 66.2k + 38.3k mods (even accounting for overlap that's around 100,000 mods) with a combined download count of about 2.7 billion. And it's still going. New modding frameworks that push the boundaries are being released much more often than you would expect for a 10 year old game.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
You're right, it's not even close, either way you look at it. Purely by developer support, Doom's everywhere.
If we're going by OP's definition, which includes mods - Doom has nowhere near the combined support Skyrim has.

Current Nexusmods.com numbers are at 66.2k + 38.3k mods (even accounting for overlap that's around 100,000 mods) with a combined download count of about 2.7 billion. And it's still going. New modding frameworks that push the boundaries are being released much more often than you would expect for a 10 year old game.
According to my brain chip, tetris has been on 65 platforms. I doubt even that Doom has had multiple console ports

Derktron

Banned
I think it's just a game that the studio likes to milk out at this point, I mean there are other classics that deserve the attention that Skyrim is getting now, Like Fallout 3 and Fallout NV. I mean I would actually bow down and buy it instead of playing it on Gamepass if it actually had any sort of upgrades like better lighting with raytracing, or better loading times, and finally, a fix on all those bugs in that game still has 10 years later. Unless I'm mistaking the game will have any upgrade. I just think the studio should be ashamed of itself for even doing this.

Ballthyrm

Any Decent MMO has had more DEV support than Skyrim ever Had.

• World of Warcraft
  • Lord of the Ring Online
  • Eve Online
  • Elder Scroll Online
  • Final Fantasy XIV
  • Ultima Online

As for single player games. There is a few I can think of.
  • Kerbal Space Program
  • Diablo II
  • No Man Sky
  • Terraria
Skyrim is just a money cow that keeps getting ported on every possible platform to the point of being a meme.
It was great at the time. We are waiting for the new Elder Scroll but that's about it for me.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

DOOM goes back so far you can't even begin to count it, that's the problem. People used to hand-trade CDs with WADs and levels on that are completely lost to time, the game's nearly 30 years old. Coupled with the fact that the number of unofficial ports/supported platforms is unfathomable, I would still say DOOM over anything else, but that's going on a very vague "overall historical support" which is immeasurable, so it doesn't mean all that much. Skyrim has the benefit of being released in a modern age where the internet was already being written in ink.

Soodanim

Gold Member
DOOM goes back so far you can't even begin to count it, that's the problem. People used to hand-trade CDs with WADs and levels on that are completely lost to time, the game's nearly 30 years old. Coupled with the fact that the number of unofficial ports/supported platforms is unfathomable, I would still say DOOM over anything else, but that's going on a very vague "overall historical support" which is immeasurable, so it doesn't mean all that much. Skyrim has the benefit of being released in a modern age where the internet was already being written in ink.
I think the younger age of Skyrim has the added benefit of also getting a bigger install base by default, and when you add in the free modding tools (official and unofficial). I thought about Doom's unofficial stuff, but I wouldn't have imagined it would compare. If you count for inflation, so to speak, it probably does ridiculous numbers.

intbal

I think OP maybe needs to clarify the specific nature of his question.

Possible interpretations of "support":

*Total amount of content generated for a single game (this seems to be OP's intent)

*Total number of ports of a single game (lots of answers in this thread)

*Longest duration and amount of technical support for a single game (Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines has been patched constantly since 2004)

TrueLegend

He included modding community which makes the yes option undebatable unless you want to debate for debate's sake.
If he excludes modding community it will make no option undebatable unless you want to debate for debate's sake.

Last edited:

Scotty W

Gold Member

I don’t know. The idgames database had been active since 1993.

Saber

Gold Member
No.

It would be one of most milked for sure(not the first though).

It's supported because they're still bug fixing 10 years after release and nowhere close to being done.

You're giving them way too much credit saying like they ever tried to bug fix this game.

Last edited:

Aenima

Maybe by modders not by Bugthesda.

I fucking bought the game for PC 4 years after release and still found a gamebreaking bug that could not let me see underwater, making it impossible to complete quests where i had to pick something underwater. I had to install a mod to make the water clear.

Bugthesda milks skyrim, mod comunity supports the game.

Matt_Fox

Some good suggestions here, and in general I do think its an admirable thing. When you enjoy a particular game it's rather wonderful to be able to keep enjoying it either through fresh content or ports.

To use an example given above, I'm sure back in 1984 when Alexey Pajitnov programmed his Electronika 60 to make tetra blocks drop from the top of the screen that he never dreamed youngsters of today wearing VR goggles would be playing Tetris Effect on PlayStation 5.

I do think Skyrim makes a particularly strong case as it's the same core code that has been iterated, whereas nothing (save the concept) of Pajitnov's code exists in subsequent ports and versions of Tetris. Skyrim also has the duality of BOTH dev support and community support that some of the other suggestions do not.

I'd also give my appreciation to those fans who have attempted to support and keep some of the very earliest games alive over the decades (thinking of titles from the 70s and 80s like MUD, Lords Of Midnight, Colossal Cave).

It's become a bit of a meme, but I like the idea of when I turn 80 that I'd be able to go on the latest computer or console and fire up a version of Skyrim which 'just works'.

winjer

Gold Member
No, not really.
The game still has a ton of bugs. The UI is still bad. Graphics are average, even for 2011. Bethesda has done very little to support this game.
They just keep releasing the same thing, over and over again. Every time a new platform comes out.
What has kept the game alive is the mod community. Mods that patch many of the bugs in the game, that improve the UI, that ad new content, improve graphics, etc.
Bethesda has just been latching and leaching, on to the great things the mod community has done.

winjer

Gold Member
Just consider that the mod community has already made, what is essentially a remaster of Skyrim. All the while, Bethesda has done almost nothing to improve the game in a decade.

Spaceman292

Banned
qdGLSUw.jpg

Across the whole history of gaming can anyone think of a game that's been more supported than Skyrim?

The latest announcement of the Anniversary Edition and next gen upgrade in Nov of this year mark the next upgrade in a long line of official support from Bethesda. And then there is the unofficial support from the modding community, which began 10 years ago when the game released and continues strong to this day.

Skyrim's post-launch support now includes:

Patches
DLC
Ports
Legendary Edition/Special Edition/Anniversary Edition
VR version
Creation Club (official mods)
Modding community 60,000+ (unofficial mods)

All this added to a game that at launch already included 100+ hours of content.

I know the latest announcement of the Anniversary Edition has drawn gasps of incredulity, because we simply aren't used to this. But for me there is something deeply admirable here. Can any other game claim to have been shown such longterm support from both the devs and the community?
If it was supported they would have fixed shit. It's just the most repackaged game of all time.

Matt_Fox

Skyrim just got a 6.9GB patch today for consoles (and a 196MB patch for PC). Mostly bug fixes and addition of Japanese language (Bethesda just promoted Skyrim at the TGS) but does also add a handy new menu that shows 'installed content'.

ALL CREATIONS – SKYRIM UPDATE NEW PATCH NOTES​

• Language files updated.

DWARVEN ARMORED MUDCRAB – SKYRIM UPDATE NEW PATCH NOTES​

• Teleport Pet spell works again.

FARMING​

• Shrines at your local homestead are now free to use when Survival Mode is enabled.

GOLDBRAND​

• Cultists will now stop spawning and attacking the Arcanaeum indefinitely

HEADMAN’S CLEAVER​

• Namesake weapons can now be enchanted.
  • Fixed wrong names in the journal

NIX-HOUND​

• Teleport Pet spell works again.

RELICS OF THE CRUSADER​

• Revised text in “Viparth’s Journal”.

SHADOWREND​

• The player can no longer receive permanent debuff.

SURVIVAL MODE​

• An issue with arrow weights was resolved.

THE CAUSE​

• The Dremora Gatanas now has the Daedric Gauntlets of Negation, justifying his ability to wield Scourge.
  • Typo fixes

FISHING​

• Fixed bug where if the player owns multiple Hearthfire homes with aquariums fish would only be displayed on the fish racks in one.

STEEL SOLDIER​

• Fixed issue where legs would disappear when worn with certain base game dresses

XBOX SPECIFIC

• Fixed instances where the main menu and Creation Club menu could become unresponsive.
  • Fixed issue when downloading Creations after purchasing Anniversary Edition Upgrade.

Top Bottom