• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Sony releasing games on PC the end of the console experience as we know it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grinchy

Banned
If they say they are putting every single one of their first party games on PC alongside PS5, then yeah, I'd just build a new PC.

Getting a whiff in the air that Horizon and a game creation engine are going to PC doesn't have me ready to arm the nukes just yet like some people apparently are.

Kagero

I think investing in consoles and having all your eggs in one basket is a big mistake. My opinion is this might be the last gen for consoles. I believe the future will be in services like netflix. MS is already deep in to it with game pass. The problem with them is that they don't have enough compelling exclusives that appeal to me for me to give a damn what they do. Sony on the other hand is a different story. If they made an equivalent gaming version of netflix/gamepass It would appeal to me more because their world wide studio content is so strong.

cireza

Banned
Yes as it will not be possible to enjoy games anymore as they won't be exclusive. And they cannot be good games anymore as well.

Well at least this is the narrative about MS games but maybe the narrative is about to change now that Sony is following ?

Last edited:
If they really do this I'm worried that they will just become another EA/Activision/UbiSoft... releasing bug/micro-transaction laden games, so they can milk their releases as much as possible.

-MD-

I think investing in consoles and having all your eggs in one basket is a big mistake. My opinion is this might be the last gen for consoles. I believe the future will be in services like netflix. MS is already deep in to it with game pass. The problem with them is that they don't have enough compelling exclusives that appeal to me for me to give a damn what they do. Sony on the other hand is a different story. If they made an equivalent gaming version of netflix/gamepass It would appeal to me more because their world wide studio content is so strong.

While I agree Microsoft's software output has been terrible for the longest time, that's probably why they invested in like a dozen new studios to pump out content. I could see them having a nice portfolio of games in a couple years.

Thabass

Not if they keep them at the cycle they're on now. They should be console exclusive for a few years and then be ported near the end of life cycle. This should be the way to do it from here on out.

Stuart360

I say this all the time but its true. There will always be PC Only gamers, Console Only gamers, and people who play on both.
Games releasing on everything wont change that. Would it effect console sales if everyhting was on PC?, yeah sure to an extent, but Sony selling 100mil PS5's instead of 110mil means nothing when they almost certainly wont be making much or any profit on next gen consoles. They still need the consoles though for console only gamers. The money they would make from game sales and licenses on PC would more tham make up for that many times over.
I never understood how people couldnt get their heads around this when Xbox started doing it.

FStubbs

The "console experience" died when consoles got hard drives and games that required lengthy installs and day one patches. They've been little more than castrated PCs ever since.

And they started using commoditized hardware. Sony and MS are basically building x86 PCs and the Switch is using an off the shelf Tegra X1.

Kagero

While I agree Microsoft's software output has been terrible for the longest time, that's probably why they invested in like a dozen new studios to pump out content. I could see them having a nice portfolio of games in a couple years.
Absolutely! It will take them a few years but if you look beyond all of this console warring. You can clearly see that both companies see the inevitable and are making moves in the right direction. In 5 years, I can see MS being Netflix and Sony being Disney+, and I’m totally fine with this.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
If they really do this I'm worried that they will just become another EA/Activision/UbiSoft... releasing bug/micro-transaction laden games, so they can milk their releases as much as possible.
Yeah, I guess more people playing across more platforms means less money. Makes sense.

ZywyPL

Banned
Console experience = comfy couch, easy to use, plug and play experience. All the 3rd party games, which make up no less than 99% of the whole available library, are playable everywhere and that doesn't change even by a tiny bit what a console experience is.

Unless by a "console experience" you mean sitting on PC/laptop on forums raising shitstorms, troll posts/threads, throwing sales numbers and Metacritic scores, but that has nothing to do with the actual consoles and/or 1st party titles.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Xbox and PS as console maker is dead to me

Wont be buying any of their product after this since my PC has become a good replacement for them but no worries theres always Nintendo

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

cdc.jpg

StormCell

HZD is one of the better games I've played this generation. Sorry I'm not a Sony fanboy. I'm actually glad to see this game making it to other platforms. The team did a fantastic job on this game, and they deserve for more people to enjoy their hard work.

StormCell

Xbox and PS as console maker is dead to me

Wont be buying any of their product after this since my PC has become a good replacement for them but no worries theres always Nintendo

Do you output your PC games to a TV? I kinda need to play my games in the living room most evenings, and I tried the whole Steam stream thing even with the Steam link and just couldn't get away from issues long enough to get comfortable.

mekes

Why not do it? Grow your fan base. If the future is that consoles are dead and streaming is the future, get your games well known for those future subscribers.

Short answer. It doesn’t bother me. It might be the smart thing to do.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Do you output your PC games to a TV? I kinda need to play my games in the living room most evenings, and I tried the whole Steam stream thing even with the Steam link and just couldn't get away from issues long enough to get comfortable.

For now? Not yet

But eventually i will ( connect it to my living room ) if i dont buy ps5

Last edited:

Doom85

It just seems so ridiculous now to assume this will be the last gen for consoles. I mean, do we need to make another thread about how many PS4s have been sold, because despite there being a fuck ton of those threads apparently the message still didn't sink in for a few people.

But then again, people thought the Wii U would bankrupt Nintendo despite the company having $10 billion in the bank so people just seemed determined to insist it's totally the end for one company's console releases despite all evidence saying otherwise.

Virex

Banned
I hope so, then there's no reason to buy a PS5 when I can play it all on PC. Same with Xbox Series X. I can play it all on PC. This is a good thing

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Will dedicated hardware that plays a subset of curated games under a brand-name that prides itself on quality continue to be a sellable product? :pie_thinking:

When no-name startups are even attempting stuff like this
PolyMega-Packaging-Deluxe-Bundlet.jpg

and like this
nowebgl-demo.png

and like this

... it tells me there's a healthy market for physical ownership of purpose-built hardware. The sales trends on the software side of things (little boutique indie publishers selling physical games at a large markup) also echo these consumer demands.

Bryank75

Banned
I say this all the time but its true. There will always be PC Only gamers, Console Only gamers, and people who play on both.
Games releasing on everything wont change that. Would it effect console sales if everyhting was on PC?, yeah sure to an extent, but Sony selling 100mil PS5's instead of 110mil means nothing when they almost certainly wont be making much or any profit on next gen consoles. They still need the consoles though for console only gamers. The money they would make from game sales and licenses on PC would more tham make up for that many times over.
I never understood how people couldnt get their heads around this when Xbox started doing it.
I agree with almost everything you said except the number of consoles sold.... it is extremely important to sell a lot of consoles to have people subscribe to PS+ and buy third party games, films and other goods and services.

That is why it makes no sense to give all of that up for one game sale.
It is actually conceding everything they have built till now and their position as market leader.

anthraticus

Banned
The "console experience" died when consoles got hard drives and games that required lengthy installs and day one patches. They've been little more than castrated PCs ever since.
The console experience died for me when all the games lost that distinctive look, sound and feel which would only come from being on that particular system.

HarryKS

Yup. It's a strange experiment honestly. Maybe they're going for a test run and are looking at the money on the table.

Strange and interesting depending on how they see it. One thing about the video game market is how unpredictable it can be with regards to trends and adoption. You only have to look at mobile and VR or even 3d to realize that nothing is a guaranteed instant success.

In this case however, they're taking a bit of a risk. Consoles work because they're like sports teams. They're built on a form of tribalism. Sports team don't lend their best players, the ones that make the difference, to opposing teams to subsidize themselves. It takes away from their core values, which are the hardcore fans. The grassroot ones. They're not the most sociable person but they're basically free word-of-mouth and guerilla marketers. You can't just suddenly take the very thing that feeds them away and expect things to go smoothly.

They might be looking at this with too much common sense but a severe lack of discernment.

As in: they don't really understand the community they're going against.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Question, will it be better then Horizon running on PS5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom