• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Sony trying to trademark the term "Let's Play"?

The amount of people in here overreacting without the slightest knowledge of copyright law...

Relax guys. Sony's not about to steal a part of your vocabulary.

DrArchon

This is like Activision trademarking "no scope montage" (please don't tell me they have, I don't want to know). How ludicrous.

Uh, an ad campaign isn't a pass for trademarking a term that's widely been used by the public for years.
You and everyone else in this thread are assuming maliciousness, as if they're going to retroactively file claims against anyone who uses the term... OR SOMETHING. (???)
You really think they would squander the goodwill they established over the past few years with a dumb move like that? Come on, you're smarter than that.

Lucreto

A trademark for Smyths Toy Store in Ireland and the UK is Hey, Let's Play.

I wonder if this would stop Sony.

Kiko

can you even grab a trademark on a word/phrase, which is used widely since years?

As far as I understand they only trademarked it in a specific and very explicit sector and in a very detailled use of the phrase.
Same is for the other trademarks (on e.g. clothing) or in a specific Logo.
The trademark is only for the detailled section.

FelipeMGM

Sounds like it's just a tagline (This is for the players/It only does everything/Jump in etc.), rather than them trying to claim the term in the way it is used for videos.

I was surprised a couple weeks ago when I looked up "let's play" on YouTube and found out the Rooster Teeth guys had made a channel called LetsPlay. Was pretty annoying that they were monopolizing the search term.

Anyways, lots of companies have trademarked the term: http://www.trademarkia.com/mobile/trademark-search.aspx?tn=Lets+play

The amount of people in here overreacting without the slightest knowledge of copyright law...

Relax guys. Sony's not about to steal a part of your vocabulary.

You and everyone else in this thread are assuming maliciousness, as if they're going to retroactively file claims against anyone who uses the term.
You really think they would squander the goodwill they established over the past few years with a dumb move like that? Come on, you're smarter than that.

These guys are right

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Yes, as evidenced by the many individuals and companies that have already trademarked the phrase.

Looking at the link you posted, very few of those were ever actually granted. And the few that were are mostly related to toys and athletic wear. Nothing related to video games.

And really, the issue here is the fact that Sony would even try to trademark a term that's been widely used in the gaming world for years now. I understand it's just business and all, but it still feels a bit shitty.

mclem

Trademarking Let's Play? If the OP scrolls down, they'll see it sounds like an edge case; it'll be quite a saga. It's on like Donkey Kong!

pastrami

Looking at the link you posted, very few of those were ever actually granted. And the few that were are mostly related to toys and athletic wear. Nothing related to video games.

And really, the issue here is the fact that Sony would even try to trademark a term that's been widely used in the gaming world for years now. I understand it's just business and all, but it still feels a bit shitty.

Well, if it applies to something they want to do with the PS4, why wouldn't it be regarding games/electronics?

Are you assuming they are trying to trademark the term, despite not having prior use, in order to somehow monetize YouTube Lets Plays? Why not pull a Nintendo and start by claiming content from their own games first?

You and everyone else in this thread are assuming maliciousness, as if they're going to retroactively file claims against anyone who uses the term... OR SOMETHING. (???)

I really cannot give a huge corporation the benefit of the doubt on anything they could use to screw people over, sorry.

nadnerb 64

Neo Member
Lets all not forget King games trying to trade mark the words Candy and Saga in video entertainment. We all saw how that worked out for them and their public image

pastrami

I really cannot give a huge corporation the benefit of the doubt on anything they could use to screw people over, sorry.

Wouldn't it be easier to start by pulling a Nintendo and claiming content from their own games first? If they were really trying to pull a fast one on YouTube Lets Plays.

Wouldn't it be easier to start by pulling a Nintendo and claiming content from their own games first? If they were really trying to pull a fast one on YouTube Lets Plays.

sure, but lets not pretend Sony always does things the most reasonable and efficient way. In anything.

I will remain skeptical.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
can you even grab a trademark on a word/phrase, which is used widely since years?

As someone already pointed out, yes you can. It doesn't mean you can get monies from anyone using it. Lynch trade-marking "I'm just here so I wont get fined" was likely done so that people didn't go around making t-shirts with the phrase on it specifically referencing his situation.

This is no different. If a TM is granted Sony has to specify the scope of its use. A kids gym called Let's Play isn't going to get sued.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
B-but...

6LbHA5M.png

Nintendo going third party FINALLY!!!

Stuart444

You can trademark lots of things! (Just like you can patent things which have been in use before said patent was filed/granted)

It's about if it will hold up in court or not which is the main issue. If it doesn't hold up in court then it doesn't matter.

Apathy

So many people that don't even know the basics of trademark law coming in here claiming the worst. Never change GAF, always good for a morning time laugh. And people wonder why the prediction threads are always so far off from reality.

Radio

I’m going to guess that they plan to use “Let’s Play” as part of PS4 streaming. They’re attempting to trademark it to prevent competitors from using the same phrase as part of their streaming service, not to prevent players from using it.

Basically, we could all still call our videos Let’s Plays, but Microsoft wouldn’t be able to use Let’s Play as part of XB1 streaming.

Arttemis

Awful term for an awful trend. Live narration ruins game videos, and there's no "personality" that I'd want to watch or listen to live over uncut gameplay; it invariably makes engaging video awful. Beyond that, I don't understand how that term caught on.

That said, it seems that's exactly the term Sony is trademarking.

Elandyll

Banned
It's probably simply because one of their services will be named "Let's Play".
We already have PlayGo, SharePlay, etc. Perhaps also, as mentionned, a new ad campaign.

Doesn't mean at all that Sony is going after Letsplayers... That's rather paranoid imo.

entremet

Awful term for an awful trend. Live narration ruins game videos, and there's no "personality" that I'd want to watch or listen to live over uncut gameplay; it invariably makes engaging video awful. Beyond that, I don't understand how that term caught on.

That said, it seems that's exactly the term Sony is trademarking.

Wassup, gramps.

Didn't know you posted here :D

Top Bottom