• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is State of Decay recommandable?

ISee

The game is currently available for 6.99€ on steam (State of Decay: Year One Survival Edition). I like post apocalyptic zombie scenarios, but this game never made it to my wishlist... Is it good?
How is the PC port?

Definitely, its unique for a zombie game and you can really get sucked into it to the point that you are thinking about it way too much even when you arent playing.

It's janky. No, it's really, really janky. But it's such a good zombie apocalypse sim style game that really does it's own thing with it. Building up a community, finding new members with skills you need, going out on resource trips and all of a sudden having them die. They've done a very good job of making everything feel like it's on you, whether it's a good or bad outcome.

Definitely can't go wrong for that price, and the sequel is out later this year which should be much more polished.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It's the only zombie game that I've liked, so yes.

But it's more because I really like management sims.

Zeta Oni

Depends on what your after.

If your interested in just killing zombies, then probably not. The games combat mechanics are janky (really the whole game is), and you would be much better served elsewhere.

But if simulating a community surviving in a post-zombie world is more of your thing, then you have found the right game.

xabbott

This game surprised me so much. There are some low budget issues but it's such a fresh take (especially at the time) at almost a Zombie/Survival RPG I'm just hoping the next one doesn't ruin what they had going. It's also not very long which was nice.

wamberz1

It's certainly among the best of the zombie genre. It leans hard into the survival aspect, which I found really refreshing.

Only thing I would mention is if there is a difficulty option (I can't remember) maybe turn it up a bit, as I remember playing through without dying once easily.

lome88

It's hanky as all hell, but pretty fun. It's in third person perspective and there is a campaign involved with the default option and that campaign is largely forgettable. The other two options are two alternative scenarios, one where you choose a type of character and are dropped somewhere on the map and just survive. The other is more of a shoot-em-up of sorts.

The world is relatively large with a fair amount of variety. There's wide open fields, small town feels, abandoned homes and other survivors trying to do what you're doing. The basic game loop is to start at your main base, figure out what you need (food, lumber, medicine, ammo, etc.) and scout around from a high up area to determine what might be the best way to get that stuff.
Let's say you need food, and you see a gas station. Safe bet that there will be food stores inside. You travel to the gas station, battling zombies using a variety of melee/guns, root around the store and pick up smaller items and larger packs that need to be opened up back at base. Along the way you can discover zombie variants that are super difficult at times. There are also "hordes", which are clumps of zombies that will overwhelm you if you're not prepared. There are multiple ways to deal with zombies. You can deal with them one on one, sneak around them, make some noise to draw them to that location and sneak away, or plow through them with a car and be quick about it.

The game does exist in real time. So if you start a game, be prepared to go at it for awhile. Let's say you start the game, go on vacation, and come back a week later. Game progress will still have happened, along with diminishing resources. That shit sort of sucks.

I can't understate how janky the game is. Textures look pretty alright, but movement can be a little cumbersome and zombies have a habit of being and existing in areas that they shouldn't and suddenly zooming in behind you. It's not a huge issues, but a lot my deaths happened because of dumb physics.

All in all I had a good time with it though. It's enjoyable enough and I love the fact that it's decidedly single player focused. For that price you really can't go wrong.

Managing a community does sound interesting.

What works really well is you jump between control of individual members whenever you want, so when someone's tired/injured, you need to let them rest, and because it's permadeath, the more characters you have, the more "lives" you've got in your playthrough. The more people you've got though, the higher your daily food intake is, the more guns/ammo/medicine you need to make sure everyone has enough to be useful, etc.

Story is butt. Gameplay is decent but the base-building was not that deep to me. And you couldn't have multiple bases, maybe they patched that.

If you are looking for some zombie killing with light base-building it is a solid choice.

The actual gameplay and mechanics are good to me. Everything else is meh like gfx/animation and maybe controls. I'd recommend it if nothing else to play.

Dram

I felt that the Lifeline dlc campaign was a lot more fun and action packed than the main game's campaign.

I would call it rough around the edges. As others have mentioned there is jank but if you are looking for a fun survival experience I would definitely recommend. The sense of danger every time you leave your safe house can get intense, you have to always be on your guard.

I'm really excited to see some details SoD2 this E3 they have a really great concept to work off of and really just need to polish it up.

Jrs3000

I'm looking for recommendations too. I have it on Xbox One but had never played.

Shame on you, fire it up and play.

I highly recommend it as well. Each aspect of the game tied together makes quite the experience that ties you and has you attached to your group. Play the first then the DLC to get your chops wet for # 2 later this year.

Definitely, not without its jank but really good experience that has some cool things going for it. Played the original version on 360 and PC but unsure what the Year One version changed.

Really interested in what they do next, news at E3?

Stiler

Probably the best "survival" zombie game out there imo.

It actually makes you feel like you're surviving with people and not merely playing an action game, etc.

You have a community to manage, you have to find supplies, your character can die (and you'll take over playing as someone else within your community). You have to find bases that you can move your community to, etc.

All while each character has their own stats/abilities like an rpg game. Also no character is superman, stamina plays a HUGE part in the gameand if you get swarmed you can easily die from running out of stamina.

Can't wait for State of Decay 2.

State of Decay is *awesome*

I need to reinstall it.

Lifeline is good too, but I prefer the OG. I had more fun dodging hordes and rummaging through houses than fending off mega-horde attacks.

Zakalwe

Banned
Not for me.

I loved the idea of savaging for loot/resources and building a community, but the actual game play just wasn't enjoyable.

Are they making a sequel? If so I'll keep an eye on it as the concept is something I really like.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Not for me.

I loved the idea of savaging for loot/resources and building a community, but the actual game play just wasn't enjoyable.

Are they making a sequel? If so I'll keep an eye on it as the concept is something I really like.

yes and with multiplayer this time as well

Memory

One of my best games ever, there is a lot of jank but stick with it as its worth it.

Can't wait for the sequel.

zeorhymer

I think it was fun. Running around and killing zombies as well as the base building and whatnot. I didn't like how stupid the AI companions were foraging for stuff always getting lost. I mean, I drove them around town and they still got lost. I stuck with it because it had a certain kind of charm to it.

LQX

Yes. Amazing atmosphere and HUGE...HUGE. One of the best Zombie experiences you can have. Only really knock I can give it is the graphics.

It's one of those games that I wish someone would make a polished AAA version of.

(But then if a AAA studio took it on they'd sand down all the interesting edges and focus-test the life out of it.)

Dabanton

It's a good game but as others have said, very janky.

But also quite addictive as knowing that if your character gets 'got' it's over for them, makes the game incredibly intense when you need resources.

Top Bottom