• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Super Smash Bros 3DS a viable choice for getting into the series?

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Up until just recently I've had no interest in Smash Bros whatsoever, but the other day a Twitch stream I was watching ended, and began hosting a smaller SSB tournament instead. I stayed with it, and got really interested all of a sudden. For whatever reason.

I got rid of my N3DS XL a while back since I never used it, but I've had my eye on the New 2DS XL. Might just pick one up later on, and it would be my only newer Nintendo console (only have a DS Lite).

Reviews are promising regarding Super Smash Bros 3DS, sure, but I've read some complaints about it being hard to see what's going on at the screen sometimes.

Would you say that SSB 3DS is good enough for a beginner? I only play casually, and have no intentions of competing. It would be nice if the online mode is active though so I can play other human beings, and not only cpu.

The controls work? No irritating slowdowns and such?

Or should I just try and find a cheap Wii U instead?

georly

Smash 3DS is kind of a modern miracle that the game runs so smoothly on that tiny system.

It's an absolutely PERFECT entry point, especially if you never plan on playing competitively.

Do it, no regrets, it's great. I put nearly 4 times the hours into my 3DS copy than I did wii u simply because it was portable.

Killyoh

Go for it, the 3DS version is marvelous. Perfect control, a constant 60fps, a lot of content, it's really great to learn how to play to Smash Bros.

Smash 3DS is kind of a modern miracle that the game runs so smoothly on that tiny system.

It's an absolutely PERFECT entry point, especially if you never plan on playing competitively.

Do it, no regrets, it's great. I put nearly 4 times the hours into my 3DS copy than I did wii u simply because it was portable.

I second that.

barber

Yes, it is really impressive how it manages to work even in the original 3DS though it has to have everything else turned off.

Seik

Banned
Absolutely, Smash on 3DS is not only an excellent game but it is also a technical prowess, imo.

McNum

I like the Wii U version better, but if you just want to try out Smash, the 3DS version is an excellent place to start.

So if you just want so Smash for fun, go for it. The 3DS version is as complete a game as the Wii U one.

Peltz

It's a little cramped to play on 3DS, but very workable.

The actual game itself runs and plays perfectly. If there are any mechanical differences between it and the Wii U version, I haven't experienced them. The fighting characters animate at a flawless 60fps (some background elements are only 30, but they really don't impact the presentation at all).

I started out playing on 3DS then play on Wii U from time to time on my friends. Be sure the get a N2DS XL, the C stick and larger screen does wonders

For me, local multiplayer is the highlight of Smash, but 3DS version is completely serviceable if you are going to ignore that aspect.

Not necessarily the most comfortable controller for a Smash game, but playing the 3DS version versus the Wii U version, the difference is seamless. You just get a different set of levels with each of them.

Smash 4 is a really good entry in the series. Lots of amenities like Brawl over Melee, but without (most of) people's complaints about Brawl. If you get really into it too, you can dip as much or as little into the DLC (extra characters, extra levels, Mii costumes from popular game series) as you want to on either an a la carte or bundle basis. Updates continually rebalanced the game so that no character was too overpowered over others (I think the last one has been released at this point). If you, like me, don't care if a game is in 240p if it plays well, you'll love it.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
That sure is some overwhelmingly positive response. Guess it's settled then! :)
Whenever I walk home with a N2DS XL, SSB is coming with me.

Thanks all!

Velcro Fly

Smash 3DS is basically miraculous in how great it runs on the 3DS and how it actually runs on the 3DS. I put in 170 hours 100%ing the game and I'm tempted to delete my save file and do it again.

It's not the worst. It's not my favourite Smash game but its existence and performance is one of the biggest technical miracles of this gen. Smash Run is really fun and there are some stages I wish the Wii U got.

Yes, Smash 3DS is a great entry point. Get Smash 3DS if you're looking for more to do with single-player content. Get the Wii U one if you're looking for something with more of a multiplayer focus.

Both versions share extremely similar modes, but Smash Run puts the 3DS version over the Wii U version in terms of playing on your own IMO. The Wii U version has Smash Tour instead, which is a laughably complicated board game mode that isn't much fun, not alone and not really with friends either.

Wii U also has 8-player Smash, which again, won't be of much use to you if you don't have a bunch of friends to play locally with.

Outside of those differences, they pretty much have the same modes. Both have online, both have classic/all-star single player modes, both have tons and tons of unlockables, fighters and stages. The Wii U one is great, and is beautiful in HD, but probably not worth what it would cost to buy the Wii U system and a bunch of controllers.

Off-topic but I'm surprised Nintendo didn't try to charge this game above $40 like Atlus does with their games. So much content even without event modes, manual item selection, and special vs mode.

Smasher89

What i liked about the 3ds version were that the camera is always close to just your character, meaning seeing small differences in patterns gets easier compared to on a big screen. No idea what that "hard to see" part would be since its mostly focusing on your character, instead of all characters in the other iteration.

You'll probably have a harder time finding players (unless for glory) for that version compared to the wii u one though.
EDIT: I think there should still be a demo for the game up on the 3ds eshop.

Off-topic but I'm surprised Nintendo didn't try to charge this game above $40 like Atlus does with their games. So much content even without event modes, manual item selection, and special vs mode.

I remember when Uprising came out I was amazed it was only $40. Especially since it came with the stand and everything too. That's what I love about Sakurai's games. He positively JAMS them with content. You're always getting bang for your buck with stuff he directs.

Top Bottom