• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Switch gaining unstoppable momentum?

onQ123

Not sure why but since earlier this year all my friends started telling me they want to get a Switch. Maybe it has something to do with the release of Smash Brothers?

At my office people are playing Smash Bros all day.

Is Switch becoming the next Nintendo juggernaut? Could it even become the next Wii? (in terms of public popularity)

It's uncontested there really isn't anything to stop it unless someone release a cheap portable head mounted console with good games & a big marketing push.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
No. Someday the momentum will stop. A hundred years from now its momentum will likely be completely halted. Someday it won't even be a memory.

But at the moment oh yeah it's going real swell for Nintendo, pretty sure it broke some Wii sales milestones in less time, makes me suspect that at some point it'll surpass those lifetime sales.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Yes, the Switch is the next DS in terms of library size and market adoption.

It will easily surpass the Wii because there is no console-brand-required mechanics implied by the Switch's design. Unlike the Wii, there is no reputation (or stimga, perhaps) that all the games on the console are one particular kind of game. There's no joke about "waggle". There's no stigma about "teh casualz". Not everyone is going to appreciate the Switch, but it doesn't really have any weak spots as far as the brand and value proposition is concerned.

The DS avoided the one-trick-pony reputation and therefore sold much better and got a much broader range of games.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
There was a period after the N64 that I lost my faith to Nintendo and in fact I got angry for their unfulfilled promises, with Gamecube it was a reconciliation because it is an excellent console, with Wii I get angry again from Nintendo totally for its sholveware.

WiiU I never had it to be expensive but it is good console.

Now with Switch I love the console, so I think it will be much better than Wii in terms of sales.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I don't think there's such a thing as unstoppable momentum.

Momentum is always hard to keep going. You need the right marketing, and the right software, constantly incoming. Along with positive mindshare in other areas like, services. If those stop for a particularly relevant time frame, the momentum will stop as well. No doubt about it..

daveonezero

Banned
I want one badly. It’d be my first console since the Wii

I was playing BOTW at target and damn I want to sink time into that.

I’ll prpbably get one by the end of the year. Only reason I have held off is because of rumors of an update.

First off I love Nintendo. I am not crazy about the hybrid design or the controllers. I am crazy about the cartridges and the instant turning on option, plus how quiet and small it is. Can't help but imagine a fully fledged console in the form of Xbox or PS4 though. To answer the question, I get why it is so big and it will continue to sell well for a long time.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I’ve gotten more out of my Switch than I ever anticipated. It’s such a great system.

When I bought it I was like “ok I’ll play Zelda and some indies” but it’s overtaken my PS4 as most used console
It’s the only console I’ve ever had where I find myself scouring the online store for new games to play almost daily. I just want to keep playing lol.

DonF

What? Oh hell no! If anything Nintendo hasn't been able to keep the momentum. I was super hyped year one with zelda, Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey. Then nothing, more nothing and then smash... Now nothing and confirmed that Metroid Prime 4 has been delayed by ...like 3 years? Nintendo hasn't been able to enter the HD era successfully.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
What? Oh hell no! If anything Nintendo hasn't been able to keep the momentum. I was super hyped year one with zelda, Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey. Then nothing, more nothing and then smash... Now nothing and confirmed that Metroid Prime 4 has been delayed by ...like 3 years? Nintendo hasn't been able to enter the HD era successfully.
I’ll never understand this mentality...

Do you buy a tv and only watch one specific television channel and one only?

There are TONS of companies making games for Switch. Why limit yourself to Nintendo-made only?

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Pokemon and Animal Crossing haven't been released yet. That is when it goes full speed ahead.

Phobia

I know its just not possible given the hardware, but if Switch had more third party titles I would swoop one up in a second and probably end up using it more than my other consoles. I had one when BOTW released and then beat Mario. After that I sold it and made a profit off of everything. Most Nintendo published games just don't do it for me. I don't know why.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I’ll never understand this mentality...

Do you buy a tv and only watch one specific television channel and one only?

There are TONS of companies making games for Switch. Why limit yourself to Nintendo-made only?
Scopa, not everyone is as playful and easygoing as you, that's why.

Last edited:

Fake

Maybe yes. Nintendo party games are strong, but they are alert about next gen consoles x third party games. If the NS revision came this year.

Jubenhimer

Nintendo's been putting out plenty of games on a regular basis. Just because they don't interest you, doesn't mean they don't exist. Plus, as someone else mentioned, there's also plenty of third party stuff to choose from as well.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Not sure why but since earlier this year all my friends started telling me they want to get a Switch. Maybe it has something to do with the release of Smash Brothers?

At my office people are playing Smash Bros all day.

Is Switch becoming the next Nintendo juggernaut? Could it even become the next Wii? (in terms of mainstream popularity)

Anecdotal lol No one at my office has a switch and me and my son rarely play ours. Not being a hater but your experience doesn't say much to the rest of the world. Positively enough it is however selling very well as the newer console. But chill with the hyperbole lol. In the end I think it will be shy wii numbers but maybe not by much.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
No. Someday the momentum will stop. A hundred years from now its momentum will likely be completely halted.

poster%2C210x230%2Cf8f8f8-pad%2C210x230%2Cf8f8f8.lite-1u1.jpg

KINDERFELD

Banned
Tomorrow I have to work and guess what? I'm taking my Switch to work with me and will be enjoying Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on my lunch break.
:messenger_sunglasses:
That's one huge reason for its momentum.

Last edited:

zenspider

Tomorrow I have to work and guess what? I'm taking my Switch to work with me and will be enjoying Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on my lunch break.
:messenger_sunglasses:
That's one huge reason for its momentum.

I've been strapping the Switch to the sun visor, plugging it into aux port and cranked the speakers. It's ridiculous. I even bought an 8Bitdo Wireless Gamecube adapter for Smash practice.

I even started looking forward to going to work more. It's a really powerful device for getting your moments in.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I've been strapping the Switch to the sun visor, plugging it into aux port and cranked the speakers. It's ridiculous. I even bought an 8Bitdo Wireless Gamecube adapter for Smash practice.

I even started looking forward to going to work more. It's a really powerful device for getting your moments in.
Are you playing Switch while driving to work?!

Meesh

Yeah ... what's up for me is the indie stuff, the jrpgs and first party mostly. One of the best consoles I've ever purchased, everyone who sees mine wants one. Talk of the town, ect.
I've said it before, I'll say if again. Best since SNES, better than SNES.

Since getting a Switch in late 2017, I haven't bought a single game for my 2 PS4's not named NBA 2K. On the other hand, my Switch library will reach 200 titles in a couple of months.

The Switch has changed everything. The momentum can't be stopped as the Switch has a become a travel companion akin to a person carrying a cell phone (compared to the PS4 that's like a landline stuck in the house).

Dthomp

Maybe a baseline Pokemon game will make me use mine, but for me as a non handheld gamer it's been pretty lackluster for me. Didn't care for BOTW that much, I enjoyed Mario Odyssey, but it was just more of the same 3D Mario games to me. Played a little bit of Pokemon Lets Go Pikachu, and played a little bit of Smash (I still don't get the Uber love that series gets) and want to play Mario x Rabbids but just doesn't hit me to put down my PS4 to play any of the other titles.

If I didn't have other consoles and only a Switch I'd probably appreciate it more, but when I get better versions of all the 3rd party games (And usually 2 years sooner it seems) it's just a 1st party machine for me. I think Pokemon Shield/Sword could at least make me use it and feel like I might get my moneys worth out of it at some point.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
there is no doubt Smash has shifted a lot of units. now the next mainline Pokemon has been announced it's gonna sell even better. some of my friends who haven't been interested in the switch over the last 2 years are now saying they'll be getting one this year for Pokemon.

i don't know if it'll be on the same level as the Wii but things are definitely gonna get better this year and next year for Switch. i think it could hit 45-50 million units sold by this time next year. (currently ~32m) that'd put it between the NES + SNES. remember it's not just pokemon that's coming out. we're getting another zelda, mario maker 2, animal crossing, fire emblem.

Since getting a Switch in late 2017, I haven't bought a single game for my 2 PS4's not named NBA 2K. On the other hand, my Switch library will reach 200 titles in a couple of months.

The Switch has changed everything. The momentum can't be stopped as the Switch has a become a travel companion akin to a person carrying a cell phone (compared to the PS4 that's like a landline stuck in the house).
i've hardly touched my PS4 since i got a Switch about a year ago lol. the only game i've bought for it since would be RDR2 but i played maybe 10 hours of it and stopped.

Last edited:

levyjl1988

Banned
I want Nintendo to release a Switch Pro. Larger Screen, less bezels, higher picture resolution, more battery life, full stand than little kickstand, support for Bluetooth headphones, and faster processor.

Not that hard, just make it like the Xbox One X, just better of what we already have.

It has strong 1st party titles, amazing indie games, lots of retro games and decent support from JPN developers. Only thing it doesn't have is big budget 3rd party titles, but it still has a pretty good coveredge of games and deverse types of games. It can be played on TV and handheld.

It won't stop selling as well as it does anytime soon. My guess is it sells somewhere in the middle between DS and WII (120-130 mil.)
This year will tell a lot

Maguro

I'm honestly really positive surprised in what direction the switch has grown.
At the beginning i was like "Meeeh, not again a damn motion gimmick and no third party support". Then i got the Pro Controller and it's honestly the best modern gamecontroller in my opinion.

For someone who is totally uninterrested in western sci fi shooters or big budget western titles, i dig up more and more from Japan for the switch. There are old arcade game collections, remasters of old games (of course some are on PS4 too), and a lot of Indie stuff that gets released physical. To me it becomes really like some sort of Vita library that i can play in good resolution on the TV, and thats worth a lot to me.

I don't care about graphics. The only time i was worried about the graphic of Switch was because that've would meant third partys wouldn't develop for. But the total opposite is the case...exactly all those japanese goodie devs throwing their stuff on Switch. Just look at the games they sell for the Switch on play-asia, amazing!

HeresJohnny

I like the Switch quite a bit, but I would never use it as my sole console. It's one hell of a great second system, though. As for mass market potential, Nintendo cannibalized the DS market and its home console market to make the Switch viable, so, while perhaps unfairly so, I'm not as impressed by its success as I should be.

Nintendo cannibalized the DS market and its home console market to make the Switch viable, so, while perhaps unfairly so, I'm not as impressed by its success as I should be.
Nahh, I think that's fair to say.

I think the Switch is doing decently well all things considered, and it'll probably sell even more once the price drops a bit. They probably shouldn't wait on that too long.

Kagero

all of my friends weren’t aware of how good the graphics were. It’s just word of mouth. I don’t think it’s tied to any one particular game.

ROMhack

OP obviously started this in good faith so I won't snark. Switch is phenomenally successful and has been for years.

Why? I dunno but it's great. I like mine much more than I expected to. Really love the fact I can play it in bed or on the TV.

Though sales have been slowing this year, I think.

Is it really that uncommon to use the switch docked only??

It's not uncommon but it's certainly uncouth.

Last edited:

Eotheod

I can't. Stop. Playing. Hollow knight. Someone please send help, the switch being so accessible is so dangerous.

zeomax

I think it will be like the Wii. It goes like crazy for a couple of years and then suddenly it's dead from one day to another.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I can't. Stop. Playing. Hollow knight. Someone please send help, the switch being so accessible is so dangerous.
I'm waiting for the physical version to come out, but heck yeah I'm excited to see so much praise for the game. It sounds like a real gem (though I know some people disliked it).

Top Bottom