• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the age of awesome tv over?

dcll

Banned
I am not saying it is but feel like we had a good run and now I read about woke/sjw bs infecting everything which of course ruins everything it touches. I have got to the point where I really don’t care and would be fine with never watching tv again. I haven’t even finished some shows I used to watch or really care. I was thinking about watching Yellowstone, my gf keeps asking about it and I like the setting so maybe I’ll give it a shot. Is there any new and good serious dramas worth watching? As far as comedy I like Eastbound and Down, Curb Your a Enthusiasm and Righteous Gemstones but don’t watch any others. I was curious about the new Penny Dreadful but they really had a shit last season so I am hesitant. Any other new good horror/scary series worth looking into?

Last edited:

Pejo

The good shows from the past will forever be good, and I don't mind rewatching stuff. That said, any excitement over new TV shows is definitely gone for my friends and I. Every time I see a remake of a great old TV show or movie with diversity as the focus instead of making a good show/movie, I cry a little inside.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Yes. It’s a shame, because it felt like we had a golden age from 2005 to 2014, where the production values got way higher, the stories amazing, and everything much more creative and free, showing us things and settings we’d never seen or expected on TV before.

Now, it’s not only the woke BS, it feels like the quality has absolutely plummeted alongside it. It’s a real shame.

It died when breaking bad ended
This is literally you:
104.jpg

lock2k

Banned
Try to watch stuff outside of America/England.

A lot of countries still have cool series that aren't woke at all.

America is fucked though.

Dark Star

Horror? Castle Rock on Hulu. Stephen King multiverse goodness. There's a lot of gems on Hulu like Mr. Inbetween.

Netflix has been pretty rough lately, but I recently watched (and really enjoyed) Cobra Kai and Outer Banks.

Last edited:
Only recent shows that have impressed me lately were The Mandalorian, and Ozark.

The Lord of the Rings on Amazon has the chance to be one of the best shows ever made if it lives up to its potential. I hear that new Ridley Scott Wolves show is good.

bender

What time is it?
TV died when Fox couldn't give Futurama a consistent time slot.

Fun Fact: I've still never watched the final episode. I can't bring myself to do it.

sol_bad

I guess I can't really suggest anything as you'd probably consider it woke crap.

But since 2015 I have enjoyed:
Sense8
Izombie
Fresh off the Boat
The Last Man on Earth
Stranger Things
Atlanta
Lethal Weapon
Dark (German)
The Handmaid's Tale
American Gods
Legion
Stranger (Korean)
Cobra Kai
The Alienist
Altered Carbon
Bodyguard
Castle Rock
Homecomming
The Boys
The Mandalorian
Kingdom (Korean)
Russian Doll
The Dark Crystal
The Naked Director (Japanese)

MGHA

TV died when Fox couldn't give Futurama a consistent time slot.

Fun Fact: I've still never watched the final episode. I can't bring myself to do it.

Do it. You will be glad you did. And then you'll go around again. It's the greatest final episode ever created.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Do it. You will be glad you did. And then you'll go around again. It's the greatest final episode ever created.

Ever save something as "dessert"? Or maybe the better analogy is a special bottle of Champaign. One day.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
Tons better content today it's just in different places. The last place home viewers can go for inclusive content is live sports or politics everything else you'd be a fool not to just DVR.

But where there's tons better content, there's also tons worse content.

Grinchy

Banned
The new season of Yellowstone isn't great. They relied really heavily on montages and awful side storylines so they could drag out the already thin main story and turn it into 2 seasons.

And it ends in such a cartoonish way.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I've heard a couple of people say Yellowstone is really good, but I haven't watched yet.

What We Do in the Shadows is borderline great TV.
I saw Matt Berry in person. I wanted to ask to take a picture but he looked like he was chatting to a mate at a pub. Didn’t feel right interrupting him.

BlueAlpaca

There was never a golden age of TV, most of it was garbage. I recently stopped watching Vikings after season 5 and I'm ashamed to admit I made it past the first episode. It's so fucking awful, it took extreme desperation and boredom to make it that far. Before that I saw the Witcher and the only reason I made it throughout the whole season was because it was so unspeakably bad that I couldn't believe it, like watching a ten car pile-up wreck. That and not having a life. Nearly everything about the Witcher outside of the lead actor is so shockingly bad it makes you lose faith in humanity.

I'm scared to start a new TV show now. I wanted to complete The 100 but reviews are dreadful for the last few seasons so I'm skipping it. Haven't seen Fargo season 3 so maybe that'll do. :lollipop_neutral:

Last edited:

GeorgPrime

Banned
I am not saying it is but feel like we had a good run and now I read about woke/sjw bs infecting everything which of course ruins everything it touches. I have got to the point where I really don’t care and would be fine with never watching tv again. I haven’t even finished some shows I used to watch or really care. I was thinking about watching Yellowstone, my gf keeps asking about it and I like the setting so maybe I’ll give it a shot. Is there any new and good serious dramas worth watching? As far as comedy I like Eastbound and Down, Curb Your a Enthusiasm and Righteous Gemstones but don’t watch any others. I was curious about the new Penny Dreadful but they really had a shit last season so I am hesitant. Any other new good horror/scary series worth looking into?

In Germany the good TV times are already gone since 15 years?

I dont remember when i had a normal TV with normal TV shows. Just stopped caring for that bullshit what they call tv nowdays. All the stupid fake stuff is pissing me off.

Iam just waiting for the people to burn down the "TV Fee Central" so we can get rid of that forced bullshit too.

Last edited:

YCoCg

TV tends to go in and out of phases anyway. I believe there's going to be another series of Gemstones but it's down to "when we've finished writing it" types of deal.

megamerican

It's still better than it was in the Pre-Sopranos age, but losing Breaking Bad and Mad Men in short succesion really felt like the end of the golden age. They also seemed like the last shows that everyone was talking about in a positive way every week. Game of Thrones was more prominent but it felt like people had reservations about it well before that awful final season.

Ionian

I saw Matt Berry in person. I wanted to ask to take a picture but he looked like he was chatting to a mate at a pub. Didn’t feel right interrupting him.

Jimmy Carr walked past me outside a pub in London, not a hope in hell I'd even shout "hello!" to him.

He looked like he was on a mission so he would have ripped me apart.

Was kinda cool though, he blessed my hair of the dog morning.

sobaka770

Banned
I just finished the new Umbrella Academy and Lucifer and both were excellent TV. Yes both diverse as fuck but it's not the focal point at all and looks cohesive for an ensemble show.
You'll lose some you'll gain some.

TrainedRage

Banned
To me the golden age was when people would set aside time to watch scheduled programming. I feel like maybe 97-02 when you had “must see TV” like Seinfeld, Friends, Cheers, Fraser, Just Shoot Me, Survivor, etc.

I remember people had to watch them at the same time, so the next day people would talk about the latest episode IN PERSON and I remember the hype being pretty huge back then.

There is still some great TV but you have to find it, most is streaming now.

V4skunk

Banned
It's been shit for years.
I hardly watch TV at all except for F1/LeMan.
Last TV series I watched was the Dark Crystal on Netflix, I really enjoyed it and was surprised it wasn't woke. Well worth it.

Nymphae

Banned
I remember people had to watch them at the same time, so the next day people would talk about the latest episode IN PERSON and I remember the hype being pretty huge back then.

I think people forget how different the non-binge, weekly release format was, it must sound like a nightmare to people who grew up after it was gone.

I'm watching Buffy on Amazon prime right now and it's weird to blast through seasons of a show that I remember watching over the course of several years. Things actually benefit from a slow burn, we've just had our desires catered to for so long that it sounds like torture now to have to wait for episodes of a show to release weekly, but I firmly believe that experience was the better one, it made the shows feel more important, there was no social media and you actually talked about the shows with people IRL and probably watched together often.

ripeavocado

Banned
I would say that the age of the awesome cinema/music/comics has been over for many years, TV is in a very bad shape lately and gaming is starting to take the hit.

I have no idea about books.

Remember to consume product and get excited for next product, you don't need quality, just consume a lot.

Mihos

Gold Member
I would say that the age of the awesome cinema/music/comics has been over for many years, TV is in a very bad shape lately and gaming is starting to take the hit.

I have no idea about books.

Remember to consume product and get excited for next product, you don't need quality, just consume a lot.

I can say that comic books are pretty much dead to me these days.

Top Bottom