• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Ganbare Goemon franchise dead?

darkwings

Banned
ahh the memories :(

I really miss Goemon. (aka mystical ninja) I once saw legend of mystical ninja for snes when I was a kid, and thought. Wtf is this shit. Bought it and loved it :D

Ever since then, I loved most of the Goemon games. (except the garbage ones for GBA)
In fact, I think Goemon's Great Adventure (for N64) is maybe the best platformer I ever played.

Dammit Konami!

# 1991: The Legend of the Mystical Ninja (Ganbare Goemon)

Mystical%20Ninja%20(2).gif

# 1993: Ganbare Goemon 2

1.png

# 1994: Ganbare Goemon 3

Foto+Ganbare+Goemon+3+(Japon%E9s).jpg

# 1995: Ganbare Goemon 4

ganbare-goemon-4-kirakira-douchuu-boku-ga-dancer-ni-natta-riyuu.6.png

# 1997: Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon (Ganbare Goemon)

Mnsg_gourmet.png

# 1999: Goemon's Great Adventure

Goemon%27s%20Great%20Adventure%20(2).gif

Rayne.S

Banned
Well... the last Goemon game was for NDS .... looked great, though reading it is another thing alltogether...

Alas, i think Goemon for the big screen is done for.

924914_59687_front.jpg

Hypnotoad

The first Goemon on the N64 was one of my favourite early games on the console. Simple, yet whacky action-adventure. I would love to see the formula revisited on the current gen, the Wii is suited for it. And that catchy title song!

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Ganbare Goemon is an amazing game for the DS, especially the artstyle they used. Such a shame it didn't come in the Western market. At the time it really could have sold considering DS didn't have much games.

i'm a huge fan of the original snes game. and the first N64 game was surprisingly fantastic, one of the few 2D to 3D conversions that worked - and its a miracle it actually came out for N64 instead of the playstation. even more of a miracle it came out in america, along with its sequel

i hope konami can find it in their hearts to bring it over here again but i won't hold my breath

farnham

Banned
Tyrone Slothrop said:
i'm a huge fan of the original snes game. and the first N64 game was surprisingly fantastic, one of the few 2D to 3D conversions that worked - and its a miracle it actually came out for N64 instead of the playstation. even more of a miracle it came out in america, along with its sequel

i hope konami can find it in their hearts to bring it over here again but i won't hold my breath
konami had a early crush on the n64 that faded really fast

too bad castlevania 64 wasnt as good

kiryogi

Banned
Goemon is practically dead tho some 2 cents to add. The DS one wasn't half bad, just had some issues with the DS in terms of control and stupid touch screen gimmickry. Also, I know it's pretty much hated, but the futuristic PS1 entry was actually a really decent platformer as well.

K.Sabot said:
Just going to say yes because I've never heard of it. It does look somewhat entertaining though.

You need to play Goemon's Great Adventure (N64). Fantastic 2.5D platformer.

BTW, is the first N64 game worth playing even now?

Roto13

If Legend of Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon makes it onto the Virtual Console some day, I will buy nine more Wiis and download it ten times.

Dra-Q

Banned
Wow, I loved the first N64 game. But I guess there is no room for Goemon in our "Bald-space Marine" industry.

Allan Holdsworth said:

sure it's a great game. kind of felt like more of an action rpg rather than the shitty 3D platformers that make up alot of the N64 library

If Legend of Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon makes it onto the Virtual Console some day, I will buy nine more Wiis and download it ten times.

i think there's a decent chance it'll come to the VC. Konami's pretty good about showing VC love

Roto13

Tyrone Slothrop said:
sure it's a great game. kind of felt like more of an action rpg rather than the shitty 3D platformers that make up alot of the N64 library
I think it's more of an action adventure game with heavy platforming elements. Think Zelda meets Mario.
Tyrone Slothrop said:
i think there's a decent chance it'll come to the VC. Konami's pretty good about showing VC love
I hope so, but at the rate Nintendo releases N64 games, and the fact that it required a memory card to save (there's a problem with that on the Virtual Console, isn't there?) makes it seem unlikely to me. :/

[Nintex]

Some of you guys already got what you wanted

"A Goemon game like Wario on the Wii would be awesome!"

Ironic that it's pretty much the same team that was let go by Konami that did Wario for Wii.

Allan Holdsworth said:
You need to play Goemon's Great Adventure (N64). Fantastic 2.5D platformer.

Yes if you can get a hold of it, it is a great game with a lot of charm and humor to it. Probably my favorite n64 game next to Ocarina of Time. Hopefully though, that's not just nostalgia talking.

Just here, this speaks for itself. Kinda?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9ey2aFhM2Y

TreIII

[Nintex] said:
Some of you guys already got what you wanted

"A Goemon game like Wario on the Wii would be awesome!"

Ironic that it's pretty much the same team that was let go by Konami that did Wario for Wii.

Was about to post this.

With no people to work on it, and interest in the series itself is probably pretty low at this point, I'm definitely thinking that Goemon is going to go into a long-lasting "cryogenic slumber", if nothing else. Beyond that Pachislot release, of course! :D ... *shoots self*

And to be fair, a long string of bad releases didn't help the cause. The majority of the PSX releases were nothing special. Then there were those "New Age" Goemon games, which basically took everything charming about the series, and tried to appeal it to the "Shounen" bracket. They even turned Ebisumaru into a girl who had a "crush" on Goemon. *barfs*

I'm willing to bet that, by the time the series did more to FINALLY return to form (recent DS game), it was practically too late. And now the very ones who could make such a thing happen are at Konami no longer.

For now, I guess it's probably for the best that Goemon does sleep, until a good team rises to give him the great game he deserves.

JDSN

Banned
The second N64 game was one of the best 2.5D platformers ever made.

But yeah, its as dead as Too Human.

vireland

The controls were TERRIBLE. We fixed them for the US version. The US control scheme was significantly enhanced. Quicker, less button presses to get things done.

The one thing that really sucked about it was that it teased you with Sasuke, Yae, and Ebisumaru, but you couldn't BE them.

Still, a cool kind of "origin" story.

Totobeni said:
what about the PS2 Geomon game , was it shitty or good ?

28w30ua.jpg

Goemon_-_Bouken_Jidai_Katsugeki_Coverart.png

CO_Andy

Goemon new gen am here guys.

48ab4e9740605e690e21925e0f7f1dda6g.jpg

5wbeit.jpg

71d533b17f50fdb1a342891705e9a19b6g.jpg

2hrzh20.jpg

Wonder what unfathomable thoughts passed through Vic when he decided to localize a first generation PS2 game.

Xelinis

vireland said:
The controls were TERRIBLE. We fixed them for the US version. The US control scheme was significantly enhanced. Quicker, less button presses to get things done.

The one thing that really sucked about it was that it teased you with Sasuke, Yae, and Ebisumaru, but you couldn't BE them.

Still, a cool kind of "origin" story.

Vic, is there really no way we're ever gonna get our hands on your version of this thing despite Sony's general douchebaggery? PSN maybe?

Speevy

Banned
The Playstation one is available for download on the Japanese store. Hard to get through without a guide though.

vireland

Xelinis said:
Vic, is there really no way we're ever gonna get our hands on your version of this thing despite Sony's general douchebaggery? PSN maybe?

Well, if Sony hadn't retardedly (and short-sightedly) removed PS2 compatability from a large and growing chunk of their PS3's, you'd already have the option in the PSN store with the other stuff we're working to get on there. The game was within a month or so of being done when we stopped, so it's not impossible, just improbable for now. There's always hope that they'll eventually do software emulation, opening the PS2 library to PSN for all PS3 owners.

And as to why I chose that Goemon to be the first, two reasons: it took about 5 years of nagging by me for Konami to say yes to ANY licensing by WD, and I'm a huge Goemon fan. I wasn't doing any of that new-age Goemon crap, so the PS2 one was it.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Totobeni said:
what about the PS2 Geomon game , was it shitty or good ?

28w30ua.jpg

Goemon_-_Bouken_Jidai_Katsugeki_Coverart.png

What the fuck? I didn't even know they made a Goemon game for the PS2. The last one that I heard about was the one for the DS, which looked gorgeous years back when I first read about it. Too bad I won't ever be able to play it, like many of the other releases.

Pumpkins

CO_Andy said:
Goemon new gen am here guys.

Wonder what unfathomable thoughts passed through Vic when he decided to localize a first generation PS2 game.

Um ... Wow. What console is it on? Or are you just pulling my leg? :lol

AniHawk

GhaleonQ said:
Oh, wow. I had no idea. Directors and everything?

Etsunobu Ebisu founded the company that did Wario Land. So yes.

It was actually the only reason why I had faith in the game from the get-go.

Screenboy

mystical ninja 64 is one of my best games of all time, the soundtrack is fuck awesum. if that captain rainbow title sells on wii & goeman 64 is downloaded loads on VC (if ever released) then theres a possibility for a new one i hope.

Xelinis

vireland said:
Well, if Sony hadn't retardedly (and short-sightedly) removed PS2 compatability from a large and growing chunk of their PS3's, you'd already have the option in the PSN store with the other stuff we're working to get on there. The game was within a month or so of being done when we stopped, so it's not impossible, just improbable for now. There's always hope that they'll eventually do software emulation, opening the PS2 library to PSN for all PS3 owners.

Well, it's good to know that a chance, no matter how small, still exists. Good luck man.

Mystical Ninja for the N64 was one of those games that I rented because it looked awesome and thoroughly enjoyed when I was a youngster, before the internet told me what to play. Such a great game with a definite charm to it.

Top Bottom