• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the PS5 behind schedule?

This crossed my mind today:

1 - Haven't revealed anything at all.
2 - Haven't even announced a date for their own event
3 - Not showing up to E3... Do they have nothing to show ? Consensus last year was they had nothing to show for 2019 and a disastrous E3 2018.
4 - First announced title is Godfall, an average looking third party looter shooter ...

It's like they have nothing to show for the moment, I stress "for the moment".

What they have shown so far (an obvious logo design and a 3rd party game) feels a bit "weak"

EDIT: Just a thought that crossed my mind guys, don't send death threats to my home :)

Last edited:

redfirm

Banned

3 - Not showing up to E3... Do they have nothing to show ? Consensus last year was they had nothing to show for 2019 and a disastrous E3 2018.
4 - First announced title is Godfall, an average looking third party looter shooter ...

It's like they have nothing to show for the moment and what they have shown (an obvious logo design and a 3rd party game) feels very lackluster and empty.

" It's like they have nothing to show for the moment and what they have shown (an obvious logo design and a 3rd party game) feels very lackluster and empty. "

Come on buddy, you got to do better than this? is this your first time witnessing the start of next gen?

EDIT: Nevermind, based on your post history I know enough. enjoy your xbox mate :)

Last edited:

Humdinger

They're just waiting for the right time. If you announce and reveal too early, all the momentum evaporates before the actual release, which is still a long time off.

SleepDoctor

Banned
They have to be careful how they go about since they have two huge games slated for this year. Dont want to derail any hype for their last 2 big ps4 exclusives. Then they're also trying to probably wait for ms to fully reveal first.

" It's like they have nothing to show for the moment and what they have shown (an obvious logo design and a 3rd party game) feels very lackluster and empty. "

Come on buddy, you got to do better than this? is this your first time witnessing the start of next gen?

EDIT: Nevermind, based on your post history I know enough. enjoy your xbox mate :)

Nah man serious question, preferences aside: if you have anything better to show why would you show Godfall, a 3rd party title as your first game? Felt a bit like filler don't you think?

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
We are still a long time away from the launch of these consoles. It's not that weird that we don't know a lot about them at the moment, right? Xbox One reveal was in May last gen.

D

Deleted member 762073

Unconfirmed Member
There were rumors of internal mess about ps5 launch, but for now, everything is normal. Reveal should come soon and there is nothing weird about it

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
We've got almost an entire year before the new hardware and all signs points to a reveal event soon. The people that follow games know that the information needed is coming throughout 2020, and the people that don't follow games won't care until they see a button on Amazon where they can buy it.

They in no way need to be at E3. We know what the final PS4 games are already, and they can hold their own presser for PS5. People hold up E3 as some mecca of gaming that you'd be insane to miss, but it's watched by a fraction of a console's entire audience.

Last edited:
Calm before The Storm

And listen buddy... Sony or Microsoft they aren't a small store in the corner of your Neighborhood ,they are big companies with hundreds of employees and they have plans and they know what to do and when to reveal something.. it's all part of the plan
Errr, Microsoft know how to reveal something? Since when?

Aion002

You do know that they have quite a few of Ps4 games coming and they want to sell those, right?

MS gave up on the One.... While the Ps4 is still alive and kicking...

Sony is in no hurry with the PS5.... Or do you really think that Sony cares about Godfall? :messenger_squinting_tongue:

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
No, it's obviously they're timing it with their event. So I don't know why would anyone think that they're afraid or having nothing to show

New-gen is in a couple of months, you think Sony are slacking in any way? Not possible.
Some like to talk.

Others prefer to do.
Yeah okiii

redfirm

Banned
Nah man serious question, preferences aside: if you have anything better to show why would you show Godfall, a 3rd party title as your first game? Felt a bit like filler don't you think?
SONY did not show GodFall, Gearbox did, Sony didn't want to show anything. Gearbox wanted to be ahead of the next gen games which will be announced next month because the game is utter shit. that is the reason why. If you dont know by now, most third party launch games are shit, always have been and always will be, but if you manage to grab the headlines, you make tons of money.

Ar¢tos

t8p23c3paif31.png

They've revealed a lot and earlier than MS did in those 2 Wired interviews. Sony seems to be on track and even earlier than they were with PS4 reveals.

You make a point. Do think it's a bit curious they you "reveal" the console in April then radio silence for more than 6 months. I would believe a 6 month gap would be the maximum to go with no update otherwise it just feels weird.

mitchman

Gold Member
You make a point. Do think it's a bit curious they you "reveal" the console in April then radio silence for more than 6 months. I would believe a 6 month gap would be the maximum to go with no update otherwise it just feels weird.
April? You mean April 2019? They are expected to reveal a lot, like with the PS4, in February.

LokusAbriss

I would have liked the big E3 reveales for the new consoles. All companies within some hours or days. All info and hype in one place. Now we get snippets of information and people go nuts.

Zannegan

The Switch was only officially unveiled a few months before release. It just doesn't take as much time to disseminate information these days. In fact, show too much too early, and your hype wave might start to flag before launch.

That's not to say that MS is jumping the gun or Sony isn't running behind, per se, but I can at least see where they're coming from with their current strategy.

OrionNebula

It’s a billion dollar poker game, and everybody’s keeping their cards real close to the chest at the moment. Any move made causes a chain of reactions from the other side(s), too, re-adjusting rush behind the scenes.
Really doubt we’ll see a repeat of 2013’s reveals, where one side looked so bad the other side just had to stay the course to grab it all safely (no back to back reveals)

I would bet my last shirt that microsoft is already planning a trailer of Halo or some other hot stuff they are cooking to counter the heat and attention the PS5 reveal will get
Fairly certain everything is going according to plan (and part of the plan is to de-stabilize xbox by their unusual approach at the reveal and launch)

At least that’s what I think

Last edited:

geordiemp

It's like they have nothing to show for the moment, I stress "for the moment".

What they have shown so far (an obvious logo design and a 3rd party game) feels a bit "weak"

EDIT: Just a thought that crossed my mind guys, don't send death threats to my home :)

Xbox owner tries to troll, bad attempt. This post is embarrassing.

I have both Xb1 and Ps4, both will show good stuff mid summer for end of year release. Ps4 schedule started Feb last time, so you ahve a couple of weeks to continue trolling.

Last edited:

redfirm

Banned
there is a reason why you are not the head of Sony and somebody else is. you have opinions, they have big data and experts in their own respective fields. Let it rest

playstations are usually released at the end of the year...it will be on everyone's xmas list regardless of the launch lineup
all sony consoles have had very sparse launch lineups

I think feb they will release more details and probably around e3 you get more details

GHG

Gold Member
They haven't done either so far.

And why should they? They will be working behind the scenes to make sure when they talk they are ready to deliver.

Everyone knows it's coming. You can't purchase a next gen console yet from either manufacturer so why make unnecessary noise that only leads to more speculation?

They're in a position where everyone is looking to them as the market leader for the next step, and as such they are fully in control of the situation. The next time they speak they will want to do so with clear and consistent messaging, and only once everything is finalised so that they are in a position to deliver on promises. For example not come out on stage and say your new console is VR ready only to later do nothing and then have to retract that statement with a load of spin.

You can't be in control if you're constantly talking shit to the press in a way that can result in not so favourable sound bites.

The biggest problem is that people are impatient. They hear noise from Microsoft so they want Sony to come back with something. The question is why should they when all Microsoft has done is create confusion and negative headlines for themselves?

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
God the level of ignorance around here is baffling. Nobody with a functioning brain should believe that the PS5 is behind schedule when you compare it to all recent console history, specifically the PS4.

Here are the facts:
1. We actually know far more about the PS5 right now than we did about the PS4 at this time.
Based on two Wired interviews:
2. We know that they will have an ultra fast SSD.
3. We know that it will be based on Ryzen2/Navi
4. We know that it will use some form of GDDR6 memory.
5. We know it's coming holiday 2020.

That's a whole lot more official information that we had about the PS4 at this time in 2013.

Most importantly, we know that there will be a press event some time in February and it will have a lot of eyes glued on it.

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
I still firmly believe, and certain reports have corroborated this, that PS5 was originally planned for 2019. Personally, I was always in the 2019 camp, until it was clear it wasn't coming in 2019. So in that context, you could say it's behind schedule. I think they could have launched a PS5 in 2019 if they really wanted to, but when they realised they had a whole 'nother year, they went back to the drawing board. In this context, no... They are perfectly on-time and controlling their own message.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Nah, it’s just that it’s a game of who will shoot first, so the other can out do them. But for both Sony and MS....

vUWKI52.gif

there is a reason why you are not the head of Sony and somebody else is. you have opinions, they have big data and experts in their own respective fields. Let it rest

Of course. Every big corporation has big data and experts. Doesn't stop them from making mistakes, bad good ideas, running behind schedules etc. Every business does that no matter the amount of experts in their offices.

DESTROYA

Geez it’s going to feel like forever when these consoles release and finally end these kind of threads.
Hey OP have you ever thought they are waiting to do there little show and tell on there own event like they did the PS4?
Can you explain to me how a ”disastrous” E3 2018 affected them? That part makes absolutely no sense when you look at the console sales numbers.

geordiemp

Yes, bye ✌

Where do you think I am going ? Bye, hello, how old are you son ?

Just because Sony have not given information early (Jan is early) someone starts a thread asking are Sony behind schedule.

At least we can have a laugh, good fanboy entertainment

I buy all consoles, except hand helds, I dont do small screens anymore.

Last edited:
What's funny about this is that despite coming after a competitor doing a whole console reveal, the logo still managed to get more press and social media traction.

In which imaginary world the PS5 logo reveal got more press or traction than the Series X reveal? I can provide Google search trends to show that's totally false

Of course it's only trends on Google but it's the most solid indicator of interest. If you have a tool that can track interest better or is more representative than Google please share.

According to Google data, at the time of the PS5 reveal Xbox series X was trending 15>2. even if Series X reveal was already weeks old Really curious to see where you had the feeling that it gained more traction besides on the OFFICIAL playstation Instagram or whatever.

Last edited:
Top Bottom