• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the PS5 the best place to play third-party multiplats on console this generation? It's time Gaf! -- Poll Inside!

Is the PS5 the best place to play third-party multiplats on consoles this generation?

• Total voters
With each console generation the gaming community comes to an unofficial consensus as to which next-gen console platform is the best home to play third party multiplats (X360, PS4 etc..). This process comes about as performance data from multiplat face-offs come in showing consistent performance advantages (whether big or small) favoring one console over the other. Other variables also play a role in reaching this unofficial consensus even if not as predominant as overall performance is. While performance is important; experience differentiators like controllers, experience immediacy (loading), game availability etc.. also play a role. It's because of that and a few other reasons that I believe the PS5 is clearly the best home to play third party multiplats right now. The PS5 after a series of face-offs has shown to be the most consistently powerfully performant console, with an experience differentiator in the DualSense controller, and generally faster immediacy of the gaming experience. There are other factors but the line gets blurry when discussed.

In light of recent events I think there is a lot of cognitive dissonance regarding this topic for a variety of reasons. Marketing material leading up to launch created certain warped expectations with regards to performance in third-party multiplats. Spec-sheet reading and commentary from pseudo experts of the tech "press", mainstream gaming press and simpleton influencers didn't help in making gamers better informed. In other words; wrong expectations can't be blamed on the average gamer that feels mislead or refuses to believe in real-time data when the results don't align with the built up expectations/conditioning. These gamers consume information as it's presented/framed to them and form their opinions based on such. Reality however has a fun way of throwing a wrench at wrong assumptions and I believe we're witnessing that now as performance results in face-offs come in.

My opinion is obviously just a conclusion based on early data, and other variables at play so not everyone is bound to agree. Which is why I leave the floor to fellow gaffers to chip in with their own opinion - and the poll. Votes can be changed at any time, now or in the future - no pressure. If you're a gamer that's not up to speed and wish to get better informed I'll leave you with further reading so you can make an informed vote:

Performance:

DMC5: Special Edition:
Face-off DF, patch - DF

Dirt 5: Face-off DF (patch discussion inside). Face-off NXG

Observer System Redux: Here

Assassins Creed Valhalla: Face-off NXG, Face-off DF, Face-off VGT, patch - NXG, patch - DF, patch - VGT

Call of Duty Cold War: Face-off NXG, Face-off DF, Face-off VGT

Watch Dogs Legion: Face-off DF

Spider-man Miles Morales (bonus): Analysis DF

Demon Souls Remake (bonus): Analysis DF

From the horse's mouth? Microsoft acknowledgement:

Verge: Why is the PS5 outperforming "the world's most powerful console"

Eurogamer: Microsoft acknowledges Xbox Series X and S performance issues

IGN: Microsoft Working on Why PS5 Outperforms Xbox Series X on Certain Games

-----------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATES:

Borderlands 3:
Face-off DF
Immortals Fenix Rising: Face-off VGT
NBA 2K21: Face-off DF
Assassins Creed Valhalla (bonus): PS5 vs. PC Face-off DF
------------------------------------------------------------------
Dualsense Controller: Official Thread

Tech Radar Comparison
Polygon comparison
Gaming Intel: More next-gen than the console
Android Authority: Dualsense controller is what truly blows me away
Medium: Dualsense controller is actually next-gen.

======================================

Last edited:
giphy.gif

It’s way too early to know for sure. Let it breathe a little

Last edited:
giphy.gif

It’s way too early to know for sure. Let it breathe a little
I share this sentiment and some others.

It's too early to call and IMO eventually both will be equal bar some slight differences that would be totally imperceptible.

I'm just enjoying the fact some here are being served crow after stating the Series X was going to blow PS5 away because:

12TF,
Eats monsters for breakfast,
Full RDNA2,
Velocity,

etc. etc.

Last edited:

Gravemind

Still way too early to tell. The differences we are seeing right now are due to development and optimization, not power. We'll see where the comparisons are at when games are being developed with each systems hardware in mind from the ground up.

Even then, I suspect the results to be relatively equal between both PS5 and Series X.

Last edited:

Tschumi

You might say it's too early... but to my mind it's also early for the PS5, and we haven't seen most of what Cerny was saying about the real potential of the SSD... So yeah I can only see the PS5 getting more efficient and snappy. I'm sure XSX will get better, but yeah, I think the PS5 is a really well engineered piece of equipment... like an F1 car vs a muscle car - both very cool.

reinking

Gold Member
What is true today will be true a year from now. The best place to play third party will be on the console you own. If you own both you will know because a year from now you will know where your friends are playing or what bells and whistles you prefer.

You might say it's too early... but to my mind it's also early for the PS5, and we haven't seen most of what Cerny was saying about the real potential of the SSD... So yeah I can only see the PS5 getting more efficient and snappy. I'm sure XSX will get better, but yeah, I think the PS5 is a really well engineered piece of equipment... like an F1 car vs a muscle car - both very cool.

I keep forgetting that the PS5 has an SSD and the XsX doesn’t.

Oh wait.....

The XsX has an SSD that, while slower than PS5’s, is still many times faster than standard SATA SSDs that many people still game with very effectively?

Oh damn. I never woulda thunk it. Damn.

I MEAN, DAMN.

what the fuck am I gonna do now?????

HUH????!

giphy.gif

DavidGzz

Some new entries for the bingo sheet there.

I'm impressed.

Blame the coil whine, The fact that I've heard more console issues with playstation 5 so far, The fact that I had to start over on all my backwards compatible games because I don't pay for playstation plus since I don't play multiplayer on playstation. Also, what's up with my games not being playable on PS5. I have several that say I need a PS4 to play them. I thought there were only a dozen or less not playable on PS5.

I just checked again. I can't play Resident Evil 7, or Street Fighter 5(I have to rebuy them for some reason?) Anyone have those issues on PS5? BTW, when I went to check this my PS5 wouldn't display, I had to do a hard reboot.

Anyway, people will immediately call me a fanboy and couldn't be more wrong. I have actually played the PS5 way more than my XSX so far because of Demon's and Spiderman. I love the console and games but I have more confidence in MS when it comes to BC and their quality from the console to the controller. Big deal.

Last edited:

Tschumi

I keep forgetting that the PS5 has an SSD and the XsX doesn’t.

Oh wait.....

The XsX has an SSD that, while slower than PS5’s, is still many times faster than standard SATA SSDs that many people still game with very effectively?

Oh damn. I never woulda thunk it. Damn.

I MEAN, DAMN.

what the fuck am I gonna do now?????

HUH????!

giphy.gif
hey man, i get where ur coming from but i wasn't... i have never, really, been talking up the SSD as a purely speed-oriented consideration... Like, read my post, I'm saying we haven't seen everything Cerny said the SSD would offer... I mean we've seen the speed numbers this whole time, we've known the whole time that the XSX also has an SSD... but I'm talking about everything else he said, watch the deep dive his point about GB/s or whatever was just a part of his spiel about the SSD...

.... things like worlds rendering in the time it takes to turn around. I've not seen that yet, but I think it'll eventually show, once the software gets to the right place... Anyway that's all I was saying, the PS5 already has high performance, it'll get higher, the whole console is designed to make sure there's nothing in the way of new innovations getting rolling... Yeah, I wasn't taking down the XSX, I was just talking up the potential of the PS5's SSD.

Peace~

Last edited by a moderator:

Indeed. One thing to ponder is if half of the people saying "wait" would actually opine the same if it was the XSX outperforming the PS5 consistently. More like the general opinion would be that it's a forgone conclusion for XSX to be the home for multiplats on consoles because "It's the most powerful console" and the results "confirm it". "Why doubt?" "Why wait for some PS5 secret optimization sauce?" "Are you crazy?" The "As expected" takes.... right? No double takes, no hesitation - an undebatable given. The conditioning prior to launch doing its work, as laid out by marketing/press. But things haven't turned out "according to that conditioning" per say. That's where the cognitive dissonance is at play - deep down some folks still believe there is a chance for it to somehow flip to the outcome they were built up to expect - even if they have no way of truly explaining how or when. On the flipside it's fair to have a wait to see reaction (not that a vote is a life or death decision lmao) but we can't ignore some of the reasons as to why that is - which is definitely not just genuine caution. Then there is always those who would like to avoid drawing a line in the sand.... prefer the diplomatic approach until they deem wiser to opine - in fear of ridicule ("neutrals" and such). People often go along with the current. It's all funny to watch unfold.

Last edited:
All we've played on ours so far is Astrobot and Bugsnax. Looks like first purchase is going to be Demon's Souls, so the first multiplatform will be Destiny when it gets it's next gen update. We'll see how that goes.

Barakov

Sony just made a better version of the development environment they had on PS4 and carried it over to PS5 with upgraded tools is paying off for them. While stuff like AC Valhalla looks promising for 3rd parties on the PS5 , the XSX has a major problem of a lower resolution is required to just reach 60fps on Xbox. The Xbox team really really fucked up on that end. We'll have to wait to see what 2021 holds but right now it seems like PS5 has the exclusives and is easier to develop for so Sony has the edge right now. Honestly, if MS doesn't want a repeat of last gen they should be flying people in to help 3rd parties.

Desudzer10

Ask again in 2 years. Answer is always PC though. For consoles it's just preferences in my opinion. What controller you like better, interface, exclusives. The differences in multiplats, if any, won't be much of a difference at all for any game this gen.

Shmunter

I expected a better showing from the X. Exclusive wise & performance wise. Although paying attention throughout the leadup, the PS5 was never going to be inferior tech wise - but the possibility was always there.

MS putting on a brave face in what's looking very similar to Xbox One launch all over again - where it should have been the complete opposite, big goof.

Don't mean to disparage, but I'm not saying anything controversial here that is not out in the open.

sircaw

Banned
it seems like a slam dunk with the way the launch titles are atm, i am not sure how it is going to change as both systems mature and both set of engineers get to play with the goodies.

I really did expect Microsoft to have some sort of advantage out of the gate, but to come out behind is very worrisome for them.

For me its about the exclusives that are really important, i was not sold on it plays best on this last generation either so it's no difference to me.

If sony pull ahead in multiplats I don't really care, unless there is quake remake.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
With each console generation the gaming community comes to an unofficial consensus as to which next-gen console platform is the best home to play third party multiplats (X360, PS4 etc..). This process comes about as performance data from multiplat face-offs come in showing consistent performance advantages (whether big or small) favoring one console over the other. Other variables also play a role in reaching this unofficial consensus even if not as predominant as overall performance is. While performance is important; experience differentiators like controllers, experience immediacy (loading), game availability etc.. also play a role. It's because of that and a few other reasons that I believe the PS5 is clearly the best home to play third party multiplats right now. The PS5 after a series of face-offs has shown to be the most consistently powerfully performant console, with an experience differentiator in the DualSense controller, and generally faster immediacy of the gaming experience. There are other factors but the line gets blurry when discussed.

In light of recent events I think there is a lot of cognitive dissonance regarding this topic for a variety of reasons. Marketing material leading up to launch created certain warped expectations with regards to performance in third-party multiplats. Spec-sheet reading and commentary from pseudo experts of the tech "press", mainstream gaming press and simpleton influencers didn't help either in making gamers better informed. In other words; wrong expectations can't be blamed on the average gamer that feels mislead or refuse to believe the real-world data when the results don't align with the built up expectations. These gamers consume information as it's presented/framed to them and form their opinions based on such. Reality however has a fun way of throwing a wrench at wrong assumptions and I believe we're witnessing that now as performance results in face-offs come in.

My opinion is obviously just a conclusion based on early data, and other variables at play so not everyone is bound to agree. Which is why I leave the floor to fellow gaffers to chip in with their own opinion - and the poll. Votes can be changed at any time, now or in the future - no pressure. If you're a gamer that's not up to speed and wish to get better informed I'll leave you with further reading so you can make an informed vote:

Performance:

DMC5: Special Edition:
Face-off DF, patch - DF

Dirt 5: Face-off DF (patch discussion inside).

Observer System Redux: Here

Assassins Creed Valhalla: Face-off NXG, Face-off DF, Face-off VGT, patch - NXG, patch - DF, patch - VGT

Call of Duty Cold War: Face-off NXG, Face-off DF, Face-off VGT

Watch Dogs Legion: Face-off DF

Spider-man Miles Morales (bonus): Analysis DF

Demon Souls Remake (bonus): Analysis DF

From the horse's mouth? Microsoft acknowledgement:

Verge: Why is the PS5 outperforming "the world's most powerful console"

Eurogamer: Microsoft acknowledges Xbox Series X and S performance issues

IGN: Microsoft Working on Why PS5 Outperforms Xbox Series X on Certain Games

Dualsense Controller: Official Thread

Tech Radar Comparison
Polygon comparison
Gaming Intel: More next-gen than the console
Android Authority: Dualsense controller is what truly blows me away
Medium: Dualsense controller is actually next-gen.

======================================

Relax warrior.

We're two weeks into this new generation.

You've already been banned many times for fan flaming threads.

Last edited:
I expected a better showing from the X. Exclusive wise & performance wise. Although paying attention throughout the leadup, the PS5 was never going to be inferior tech wise - but the possibility was always there.

MS putting on a brave face in what's looking very similar to Xbox One launch all over again - where it should have been the complete opposite, big goof.

Don't mean to disparage, but I'm not saying anything controversial here that is not out in the open.

Sure, guy.

edit

LOL, TIL that being “obsessed” with someone means simply calling them on their fanboy bullshit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom