• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the PS5 the best place to play third-party multiplats on console this generation? It's time Gaf! -- Poll Inside!

Is the PS5 the best place to play third-party multiplats on consoles this generation?

• Total voters

bitbydeath

Star Wars Squadrons is 120FPS on XSX compared to 60 FPS on PS5

Rocket League 120FPS on XSX compared to 60 FPS on PS5

Call of Duty Warzone is 120FPS on XSX compared to 60 FPS on PS5

this is by far the biggest difference we had. All the other difference you mentioned in those games are not even noticeable. We need to zoom in 1000% to see a difference. We need to play the game in slow motion to see a difference. We need to have DF TELL US what the difference is.

Sounds very familiar. 🤔
wJeixVv.jpg

Bramble

this is by far the biggest difference we had. All the other difference you mentioned in those games are not even noticeable. We need to zoom in 1000% to see a difference. We need to play the game in slow motion to see a difference. We need to have DF TELL US what the difference is.

Star Wars squadron is just running in BC mode on PS5, because it supports the definitive version, which is VR.

Rocket League is just unpatched a last gen game.

Warzone also just needs a patch. It will most likely also run better when at 120fps, just like Black Ops.

You are in denial and blinded by grief.

As for the poll: just the DualSense makes the PS5 the definitive place to play. Having the best console graphics and performance is a nice bonus, but nothing more.

if i was looking to have sex with 2 ladies who were both gorgeous but had their own faults and then proceeded to bed one of them and blow my load in 3 seconds and propose to them...this would be this thread in real life

Wait! people who was claiming victory months before the launch of the new consoles are now saying it's too early to judge the consoles now that PS5 is doing better with most games?
Yep.

Remember the gloating after Road to PS5 and up until the first performance reviews from Digital Foundry a few weeks ago.

Yeah now we have to wait for tools, full RDNA2 to be unlocked and patches for the X to show its 12TF superiority over the PS5.
Don't forget the devs got their series X devkits late so they are not familiar with developing for this new platform. We need to give them more time to unlock the 12TF monster lurking within.

Them goalposts have moved yet again. Darn goalposts.

Is that so? Care to point when? Cause last I checked I've not been banned to date.

Also, another thread of mine where you enter just to shat on it by going after me. I know I got a fanbase but.... it's getting creepy. Look in the mirror instead of projecting.
Just today he dug up a 9 month old thread of mine trying to make a point or something. Didn't quit give 2 shades of a fuck to be honest. Found it quite comical he did that but also quite disturbing.
It must be love. I dunno.

DinoD

Deliberately obtuse? Taking piss? Shit stirrer? High? Hypnotized? All above?

Shubh_C63

Man that gif had me giggling out loud

Too early to tell for me. But I have no horse in this.
If it shooting, I will play on my Laptop. If its non-shooter, will play on PS5 eventually.

MilkyJoe

Star Wars squadron is just running in BC mode on PS5, because it supports the definitive version, which is VR.

Rocket League is just unpatched a last gen game.

Warzone also just needs a patch. It will most likely also run better when at 120fps, just like Black Ops.

You are in denial and blinded by grief.

As for the poll: just the DualSense makes the PS5 the definitive place to play. Having the best console graphics and performance is a nice bonus, but nothing more.

:messenger_grinning_squinting:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
With each console generation the gaming community comes to an unofficial consensus as to which next-gen console platform is the best home to play third party multiplats (X360, PS4 etc..). This process comes about as performance data from multiplat face-offs come in showing consistent performance advantages (whether big or small) favoring one console over the other. Other variables also play a role in reaching this unofficial consensus even if not as predominant as overall performance is. While performance is important; experience differentiators like controllers, experience immediacy (loading), game availability etc.. also play a role. It's because of that and a few other reasons that I believe the PS5 is clearly the best home to play third party multiplats right now. The PS5 after a series of face-offs has shown to be the most consistently powerfully performant console, with an experience differentiator in the DualSense controller, and generally faster immediacy of the gaming experience. There are other factors but the line gets blurry when discussed.

In light of recent events I think there is a lot of cognitive dissonance regarding this topic for a variety of reasons. Marketing material leading up to launch created certain warped expectations with regards to performance in third-party multiplats. Spec-sheet reading and commentary from pseudo experts of the tech "press", mainstream gaming press and simpleton influencers didn't help in making gamers better informed either. In other words; wrong expectations can't be blamed on the average gamer that feels mislead or refuse to believe the real-world data when the results don't align with the built up expectations/conditioning. These gamers consume information as it's presented/framed to them and form their opinions based on such. Reality however has a fun way of throwing a wrench at wrong assumptions and I believe we're witnessing that now as performance results in face-offs come in.

My opinion is obviously just a conclusion based on early data, and other variables at play so not everyone is bound to agree. Which is why I leave the floor to fellow gaffers to chip in with their own opinion - and the poll. Votes can be changed at any time, now or in the future - no pressure. If you're a gamer that's not up to speed and wish to get better informed I'll leave you with further reading so you can make an informed vote:

Performance:

DMC5: Special Edition:
Face-off DF, patch - DF

Dirt 5: Face-off DF (patch discussion inside).

Observer System Redux: Here

Assassins Creed Valhalla: Face-off NXG, Face-off DF, Face-off VGT, patch - NXG, patch - DF, patch - VGT

Call of Duty Cold War: Face-off NXG, Face-off DF, Face-off VGT

Watch Dogs Legion: Face-off DF

Spider-man Miles Morales (bonus): Analysis DF

Demon Souls Remake (bonus): Analysis DF

From the horse's mouth? Microsoft acknowledgement:

Verge: Why is the PS5 outperforming "the world's most powerful console"

Eurogamer: Microsoft acknowledges Xbox Series X and S performance issues

IGN: Microsoft Working on Why PS5 Outperforms Xbox Series X on Certain Games

Dualsense Controller: Official Thread

Tech Radar Comparison
Polygon comparison
Gaming Intel: More next-gen than the console
Android Authority: Dualsense controller is what truly blows me away
Medium: Dualsense controller is actually next-gen.

======================================

giphy.gif

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Probably yes. Not because it's more powerful but because it looks like it'll be more successfull and hence the devs will put in more work for PS5 optimization. But we'll see I guess.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Too soon to tell. I have a PS5 but it would be stupid of me to tell you PS5. Make the thread again after 2 years and it will be very clear who has the advantage after devs get familiar with the machines.

To early to tell. As much as I very much doubt 'the tools' will be a panacure to the XSX's current minorly lagging behind, it's not impossible.

I would say however that as it stands, the PS5 does seem like the best value proposition in the industry.

I expect the current parity and minor differences between XSX and PS5 to continue, and combined with Playstation's vastly superior first party output (Xbox now has the potential to match, but the proof will be in the pudding), there's very little to recommend the XSX full stop.

There's PC too of course, but at the start of a new gen as we are, there's even less bang for your buck than usual with PC gaming, so while it's true 'PC' provides the best experience, you pay a heavy premium for that.

Switch is also no longer a contender on Multiplats, being barely strong enough to run games from it's own generation, it's absolutely buggered when it comes to running current gen games.

Once a current gen Switch 2 hits, it'll be a contender again though, especially for Japanese titles.

geordiemp

My predictions for fun

XSX will definately win every workload where you have to run 4 games in paralllel like a server, as that is the primary design focus, with extended shader arrays to keep 4 blocks of shader ararys to run 4 games.

XSX will also be very good at parallel compute workloads, so will win some there.

For traditional 1440p60 console games ps5 will stay marginally ahead or same IMO, as you cant change XSX hardware/

For Nanite Ue5 and small triangles, ps5 will also have an advantage, so its going to be a long gen until refreshes come out.

IF XSX had been designed for console only, no server consideration at all, it would of had 6 shader arrays and we would not be having this thread. XSX would of been like a low clock 6800 with 4 CU disabled, but it is not that design.

Note I was saying this 3 months ago, so no change really.

Last edited:

YoodlePro

Quick resume, more confidence in the console build quality, and more confidence in the future of MS's BC support/upgrades and cross saves will keep me on Xbox for multiplats. PS5 for it's awesome exclusives.
What's wrong with the PS5 build quality?

Honestly, it's like Sony hasn't been in the hardware industry since forever.

Rien

Jelly Belly
I'm sitting here canning myself at this. I've never seen this happen before where tweets are being doctored. Seriously.
One has to wonder if this is a Discord plan.
Next thing you know they will plan to kidnap John and force him to praise Xbox at gunpoint. Sick mofos.

Xbox fans seems to be worst atm. I am a Sony fan myself so I am a bit biased.. if you are so insecure to fake a tweet then I don’t know.
MAkes you think which console warrior send shit to his house

thelastword

Banned
I suspect even if PS wins all faceoffs in 2021.....In December 2021, it will still be too early to tell....I think lots rest on the ETA of the Series X tools, that may be December 2022 who knows, but in the meantime, before the Series X gets sorted, resolution will be lowered way below PS5 so the X can have par performance or ummmm! performance still below PS5 overall....

Orta

Banned
Yes, the PS5 is the clear winner here. In the 3 weeks its been on sale and handfull of games available for it, it has proven what an insurmountable leap it has taken over the XSX. Microsoft needs to cancel production of its console, break the entire company up and Phil Spencer should be thrown in prison for the remainder of his natural life.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
Too early to tell....

but the fact that xbox was bragging for a whole year, that they had the most powerful console... the console that, on paper, has better specs....

That somehow happens to run most launch games worse the PS5!? Regardless of the reason, it's a bit of a PR clusterfuck for xbox. They desperately needed a win.

Voted for pc - my 3080 already outperforms both machines and next generation of gpus will leave them in dust :D

As for consoles I'd say it's virtually draw so PS5 wins due to their studios and controller (I got it for pc and even without extra features it's amazing)

Leyasu

Banned
I feel it is a bit heated now just cause many xbox fans for one year were in everyone's face about superior xsx and ps5 being weak and down clocking to 9tf and so many other fake fud.

Once this few weeks passes no one will care that much and both will become pretty similar.at the end gamers will win .

Indeed. It has been a rough year for the Sony contingent.

Is that what you need, another few weeks to get the rage out of your system? Lol

Sweep14

Didn't vote yet. Imho, the sample needs to be bigger to draw a clear conclusion with multiplatform games' performance. Dualsense integration in 3rd party games, if done well, can also be a big immersion advantage for PS5's versions.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Indeed. It has been a rough year for the Sony contingent.

Is that what you need, another few weeks to get the rage out of your system? Lol

It's not rage, it's fun watching all that BS and FUD backfire this heavily. I always come to these threads with popcorn to watch the comedy and meltdown.

HelplessOldfashionedAbyssiniangroundhornbill-size_restricted.gif

Top Bottom