• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the TCL 6 Series of 2020 worth buying for gaming?

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Honestly, if you upgrade every two years, and at TCL prices, I'm not sure there's a downside for you in getting this one. You'll probably end up just picking up a 4K/120 TCL in a couple of years, anyway.
Well, I don't plan on upgrading every two years. I'm considering doing so now only because next-gen consoles will be released this year and will offer new features that aren't supported by my 55R617.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
nah. if you don't have an LG B9/C9/CX for next gen then you're not getting the best experience these consoles offer.

got myself a CX.

I'm honestly annoyed by you OLED owners. Everyone is aware of OLED TVs' infinite contrast ratios and perfect blacks; however, there are some people who don't care for their low peak brightness levels and their propensity for burn in (which isn't as bad as it used to be but still exists).

OLED TVs have peak brightness levels that are in the 200-300 nit range when displaying SDR content, which is pathetic, and that are in the 600 nit range when displaying HDR content, which is also pathetic. No thank you.

I like to watch content and game while my window blinds are open during the day time, so OLEDs are out of the question.

Ulysses 31

I'm honestly annoyed by you OLED owners. Everyone is aware of OLED TVs' infinite contrast ratios and perfect blacks; however, there are some people who don't care for their low peak brightness levels and their propensity for burn in (which isn't as bad as it used to be but still exists).

OLED TVs have peak brightness levels that are in the 200-300 nit range when displaying SDR content, which is pathetic, and that are in the 600 nit range when displaying HDR content, which is also pathetic. No thank you.

I like to watch content and game while my window blinds are open during the day time, so OLEDs are out of the question.
While these OLED or nothing bunch can be annoying, in a pitch black room, the brightness of OLED is adequate enough. :lollipop_grinning:

Last edited:
I gave in to my desire and ordered the TCL 55R635. It's scheduled to arrive next Friday. Hopefully, I win the panel lottery again.

Is that the TCL's 2020 series 6 model you were contemplating?

I'm on the market for a new TV/Monitor - I have been looking at the Samsung Odyssey G9/G7, LG CX, Sony and Hisense lineups as well - so be sure to report back with a thorough review once you have it hooked up!

Ulysses 31

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Is that the TCL's 2020 series 6 model you were contemplating?

I'm on the market for a new TV/Monitor - I have been looking at the Samsung Odyssey G9/G7, LG CX, Sony and Hisense lineups as well - so be sure to report back with a thorough review once you have it hooked up!
I can't wait to see it in person. It's too bad that I have to wait until next Friday.

While these OLED or nothing bunch can be annoying, in a pitch black room, the brightness of OLED is adequate enough. :lollipop_grinning:

I game with the lights on, and OLED is adequate. Frankly I am not even sure I would want a brighter tv for gaming. For movie watching sure, but with gaming I like being able to see what I am doing... and there are times when it can be pretty difficult to see and have to squint my eyes. It was cool at first, but gets kind of annoying after a bit.

splattered

I jumped in on the first 55R615 sets that came out and bought three for my house cause they were so cheap. Worth every penny and not cause i'm being a cheap ass. These are great TVs as long as you get good panels. I totally plan on refreshing my TVs as soon as the TCL support full HDMI 2.1 so maybe next year? Which is fine cause the consoles don't even come out till end of year anyway.

Ulysses 31

I game with the lights on, and OLED is adequate. Frankly I am not even sure I would want a brighter tv for gaming. For movie watching sure, but with gaming I like being able to see what I am doing... and there are times when it can be pretty difficult to see and have to squint my eyes. It was cool at first, but gets kind of annoying after a bit.
I like the brightness and popping colors from the greater color volume that QLEDs have over OLED especially in SDR, it might not be as accurate as content creators intended but it's a personal preference. :lollipop_grinning:

What games are you playing that have blinding brightness/specular highlights and then wouldn't it be a matter of turning the brightness down a bit? o_O

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I like the brightness and popping colors from the greater color volume that QLEDs have over OLED especially in SDR, it might not be as accurate as content creators intended but it's a personal preference. :lollipop_grinning:

What games are you playing that have blinding brightness/specular highlights and then wouldn't it be a matter of turning the brightness down a bit? o_O
Ghost of Tsushima has very bright highlights in HDR. They're amazing.

Does anyone think that the 8 Series of 2020 will have a 55" model or completely support HDMI 2.1?
No 55' for the 8 series. Would be great if they made a 7 series 4k at 55', but oh well. Also, the 8 series will support full 2.1 since it is 8k and needs that bandwidth.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
No 55' for the 8 series. Would be great if they made a 7 series 4k at 55', but oh well. Also, the 8 series will support full 2.1 since it is 8k and needs that bandwidth.

I didn't know that the 8 Series will be 8K. Damn. I'd wait for the 8 Series instead, but 65" is too big for my space.

A 65" would be too large to fit on my media cabinet, on which my current TCL sits.

78Eumw2.jpg

I don't know like all of them? Usually its fine its just every now and then some uncomfortably bright scene will blast me in the face. I am aware of how the brightness settings works, thank you.

I got an oled and the picture is unmatched. However I got burn in last year and it's really annoying. Not sure if I'll get another oled unless one of the TV brands offers some kind of long term oled burn in warranty. For $650 bucks this tlc sounds amazing, too bad it does not have full hdmi 2.1 it's a deal breaker for me. I would not get it better wait for another model and don't regret the decision.

Kuranghi

You clearly have never owned a TCL. It's my favorite TV, and I own two Bravias and a Samsung LED.

No, I haven't. I am going by professional reviewers and forum opinions from enthusiasts who compare sets, I don't know why they'd lie. I don't mean its bad I just mean its not as good relatively compared to Sony image processing, gradient handling and motion.

What model TCL, Sony(s) and Samsung do you own? I guess there wouldn't be as big a difference in image processing (but motion and gradient handling would still be a better in most cases imo) on <85-series for Sony and <7-series QLED when compared to TCL 6-series.

If its TCL high-end models vs 85-series and above Sonys, I definitely think there is a quite a difference.

magaman

Banned
No, I haven't. I am going by professional reviewers and forum opinions from enthusiasts who compare sets, I don't know why they'd lie. I don't mean its bad I just mean its not as good relatively compared to Sony image processing, gradient handling and motion.

Please don't state things these things as your own personal opinion then. You have nothing to base it on aside from other people.

TCL is borderline insane in its quality vs. price. I purchased a Sony Master Series Z9F, and still preferred my older TCL 4 Series for size, simplicity, and UX/UI. I do not claim to be a power user, and people can argue contrast ratios, lumens, and pixel density all day. A Lamborghini may be better on paper, but I'll still pick Honda as the better car.

Last edited:

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Sorry to break it to you, but this new 6 series does not have HDMI 2.1
It only does 1440p at 120 because it's HDMI 2.0
I was really excited about this since I'm in the market for a new TV for PS5, but this totally let me down. Also, they say it's mini-LED, but why so few dimming zones? Bizarre. I am still looking forward to their 8 series Vidrian, though.

The dining zone with this new line doesn't make sense like you said. Should be a lot higher.

OP Vizio also has 2 new gaming tvs coming this year. Ones an oled and the other a led. They have 2 hdmi 2.1 ports with everything the tcl 6 has but I'm not sure they are TJX HDR certified.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Does it have proper 10- or-12 bit HDR? Many cheaper sets have (or at least used to have) 8-bit panels, which can't really do real HDR. If yes, sounds like a good purchase to me (on paper at least, don't know what the picture quality is actually like of course). 4K120 games are gonna be few and far between, it's really just gonna be for some 2D indies IMO. Very few, if any, higher budget games are gonna go above 4K60.

Last edited:
Despite this new TLC not having full hdmi 2.1, unless you have a powerful pc, if you plan to use console gaming only let's be realistic how many games will support 4k 120 fps? I think people are delusional thinking the big hits will run at these numbers. I'm skeptical they will run at 4k 60 fps imagine 120.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Refresh and image quality are important to me, so no. They will likely resolve the issues within a year or two. Also, the lack of true HDR hurts this set.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Refresh and image quality are important to me, so no. They will likely resolve the issues within a year or two. Also, the lack of true HDR hurts this set.

What do you mean by image quality? TCLs typically have great image quality, especially for their price ranges.

Rbk_3

It does have HDMI 2.1, but doesn't support the full feature set of HDMI 2.1. If it didn't have HDMI 2.1, then it wouldn't support VRR, ALLM, or eARC (on all four ports).

That’s not accurate. You can do all that with HDMI 2.0 ports.

recursive

I didn't know that the 8 Series will be 8K. Damn. I'd wait for the 8 Series instead, but 65" is too big for my space.

A 65" would be too large to fit on my media cabinet, on which my current TCL sits.

78Eumw2.jpg
Should consider a new stand to get your TV up above your little buddies on the top of your media center.

• Fire
Reactions: MrS

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Should consider a new stand to get your TV up above your little buddies on the top of your media center.

No thanks. I'm fine with the way things are.

On another note, I've been reading the "Customer Questions and Answers" section of Amazon's listing for the R635 (Link), which includes official answers provided by TCL North America. TCL NA has confirmed the following:

1. The TV supports Dolby Vision, HDR10, and HLG.
2. For the 55", the spacing between the legs is 43.3 inches and the depth of the legs is 13.7 inches.
3. The 55" is compatible with most wall mounts that support 300mm x 300mm VESA mounting pattern.
4. The R635 has 4 HDMI ports, 1 USB, Coaxial, Composite, Optical, headphone jack, and Ethernet.
5. The Mini LED technology of the R635 is not the Vidrian technology that will be in 2020's 8 Series.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Please don't state things these things as your own personal opinion then. You have nothing to base it on aside from other people.

TCL is borderline insane in its quality vs. price. I purchased a Sony Master Series Z9F, and still preferred my older TCL 4 Series for size, simplicity, and UX/UI. I do not claim to be a power user, and people can argue contrast ratios, lumens, and pixel density all day. A Lamborghini may be better on paper, but I'll still pick Honda as the better car.

I'm free to state anything as my personal opinion thanks. I trust professional reviews who just want to compare things as "technically" as they can, using industry tests and such, so its not subjective 90% of the time. Its not a personal attack on your choice of TV, I apologise if you feel that way. Even someone whose job it is to evaluate TV brands against each other can't see EVERY TV on the planet, you have to make some assumptions based on other models in the lineup and professional reviews.

Yes I'm talking about picture quality. Not sure what you mean by "size and simplicity", but UX/UI is personal preference depending on usage, so fair enough on that one. I generally compare TV based on the picture quality and then other factors after that.

I'll be able to answer a bit better after you clarify what you mean by "size and simplicity". Just looking though the TCL 4 Series is literally 6-8x less bright than the ZF9, thats an insane difference in light output so the picture will be a lot less dynamic/less depth to it, even in SDR.

If we are just saying that the TCL 4-series was a better size of the set for the money then this isn't really about PQ is it. The thing I wrote that you responded to was saying the image processing and motion aren't quite as good as Samsung and Samsung is behind Sony in that regard. If you are talking about the user experience and other non-PQ related things about the set then fair enough. Its better for you in that regard.

Last edited:

FeldMonster

The value is quite impressive, and tempting.

Although I am very happy with my 4K, HDR, 75", I want 4K, 120 Hz capability for Halo. I am tempted to buy something soon-ish with the intention of replacing it with a micro-LED TV someday. Hopefully Samsung and Sony announce multi-port HDMI 2.1 4K HDR TVs in the next year, OLEDs are not for me.

What do you mean by image quality? TCLs typically have great image quality, especially for their price ranges.

Motion resolution is horrible on the TCL's. Local dimming is mediocre at best.

What model TCL, Sony(s) and Samsung do you own? I guess there wouldn't be as big a difference in image processing (but motion and gradient handling would still be a better in most cases imo) on <85-series for Sony and <7-series QLED when compared to TCL 6-series.

If its TCL high-end models vs 85-series and above Sonys, I definitely think there is a quite a difference.

As someone who has owned tcl/vizio (and with the vizio it was a 2019 M series and P series) before moving on to a Sony x900f, yes there is a MASSIVE difference in image processing. I am not exaggerating when I say that it was night and day. Especially in motion resolution and motion handling. Like, they arent even in the same solar system in quality.

Kuranghi

TCL is borderline insane in its quality vs. price. I purchased a Sony Master Series Z9F, and still preferred my older TCL 4 Series for size, simplicity, and UX/UI.

I know you haven't replied yet but if you include picture quaity in the reasons you preferred the TCL I am shocked to be honest. If you saw these sets side-by-side you would know what I mean. One is literally FIVE times as bright as the other in terms of real scene brightness. EIGHT times brighter when talking about peak brightness. It would be a night day difference. Not even getting into the image processing and motion.

I know you haven't replied yet but if you include picture quaity in the reasons you preferred the TCL I am shocked to be honest. If you saw these sets side-by-side you would know what I mean. One is literally FIVE times as bright as the other in terms of real scene brightness. EIGHT times brighter when talking about peak brightness. It would be a night day difference. Not even getting into the image processing and motion.

I mean, it's hard because personal preference or whatever. Gives a bit of leeway. But as someone who currently has a TCL 4 series in a bedroom and has spent time around the Z9F....I just can't fathom how one would prefer the 4 series. That sounds insane to me. They'd prefer the dumpiest bargain bin TCL over what is literally the pinnacle of LED tvs? Come on hahahahaha

Kuranghi

As someone who has owned tcl/vizio (and with the vizio it was a 2019 M series and P series) before moving on to a Sony x900f, yes there is a MASSIVE difference in image processing. I am not exaggerating when I say that it was night and day. Especially in motion resolution and motion handling. Like, they arent even in the same solar system in quality.

Have you tried 1080p/1440p120hz on your X900F? I have a ZD9 which is capable of it but the response time is so long on the 65" I have that it makes less visual difference than I think it would on your set, I think X900F 80% response time is ~4ms, whereas mine is ~36ms ha.

jaysius

Banned

Get some LED backlighting strips off of Ebay, it'll change your world. Also maybe get glasses.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I mean, it's hard because personal preference or whatever. Gives a bit of leeway. But as someone who currently has a TCL 4 series in a bedroom and has spent time around the Z9F....I just can't fathom how one would prefer the 4 series. That sounds insane to me. They'd prefer the dumpiest bargain bin TCL over what is literally the pinnacle of LED tvs? Come on hahahahaha

I still think my Z9D is the pinnacle but the Z9F does have higher brightness for SDR, the much much improved X-Motion Clarity BFI (that debuted in your X900F) and the better image processing of the X1U over our X1E. I wish I could get an engineer to put the FPGA from the Z9F in my Z9D but I'm sure it doesn't work like that lol

BluRayHiDef

Banned
The value is quite impressive, and tempting.

Although I am very happy with my 4K, HDR, 75", I want 4K, 120 Hz capability for Halo. I am tempted to buy something soon-ish with the intention of replacing it with a micro-LED TV someday. Hopefully Samsung and Sony announce multi-port HDMI 2.1 4K HDR TVs in the next year, OLEDs are not for me.
What TV do you have?

I still think my Z9D is the pinnacle but the Z9F does have higher brightness for SDR, the much much improved X-Motion Clarity BFI (that debuted in your X900F) and the better image processing of the X1U over our X1E. I wish I could get an engineer to put the FPGA from the Z9F in my Z9D but I'm sure it doesn't work like that lol

Shit man Z9D or Z9F, regardless of which one it's ludicrous to me that someone would prefer a TCL 4 series over those haha

jaysius

Banned
Second this, got some bias lighting last year and it made a pretty big difference in lessening eye strain (I typically game in the dark) and with perceived contrast.

They really do change the feel and experience, it's pretty amazing. I'm a huge fan of them. I've noticed a decrease in eyestrain while using them also.

recursive

No thanks. I'm fine with the way things are.

On another note, I've been reading the "Customer Questions and Answers" section of Amazon's listing for the R635 (Link), which includes official answers provided by TCL North America. TCL NA has confirmed the following:

1. The TV supports Dolby Vision, HDR10, and HLG.
2. For the 55", the spacing between the legs is 43.3 inches and the depth of the legs is 13.7 inches.
3. The 55" is compatible with most wall mounts that support 300mm x 300mm VESA mounting pattern.
4. The R635 has 4 HDMI ports, 1 USB, Coaxial, Composite, Optical, headphone jack, and Ethernet.
5. The Mini LED technology of the R635 is not the Vidrian technology that will be in 2020's 8 Series.
Ok, it is your setup so it just needs to please you. I just found it odd that you are worried about all these features but not being able to actually see your whole screen.

Despite this new TLC not having full hdmi 2.1, unless you have a powerful pc, if you plan to use console gaming only let's be realistic how many games will support 4k 120 fps? I think people are delusional thinking the big hits will run at these numbers. I'm skeptical they will run at 4k 60 fps imagine 120.
It's not a matter of next-gen games running at 120fps. It's a matter of running current generation games on next-gen consoles that could hit those frame rates.

What's the problem with its motion resolution? I just had mine display the following test and its performance seemed fine, even with Action Smoothing and LED Motion Clarity turned off.

Motion resolution is low on both LCD and OLED due to the way they both utilize "sample and hold" to produce the image. 300 lines is the baseline motion resolution on both LCD and OLED, but pixel response time is vastly different. OLED is significantly faster than LCD on that front. Funny thing is, because OLED pixel response is so fast, 30fps gaming can look like a juddering mess. On the other hand, 30fps gaming on an LCD tends to hide this judder because of its slower response time. This is why you always see some sort of "motion clarity" technique used on both technologies. Granted, it's not great for gaming since it creates input lag, so it's mostly for TV and movie watching. I can't speak to TCL's refresh rate, but the 6/8 series is a 120hz panel, and the 8 series will be utilizing an active matrix panel, so there's that.

Top Bottom