• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the TCL 6 Series of 2020 worth buying for gaming?

I'm curious why there's 100+ dimmable zones when they have 10,000 LEDs? Is it a controller end limitation? Could it improve (don't count on it), or is it also physical wiring and cones to the zones?

I guess something did have to differentiate their higher end series in the end. Even the 8 series has 1000 control zones for 25,000 LEDs. At first when I heard Apple was going mini LED with its macbooks with 10,000 LEDs, I assumed each one of those would be a control zone, but now as I learn more about the technology I guess it's going to be some fraction of that. Does anyone do 1 zone per LED?

It would be more expensive. More expensive to develop proper software and you would need a beefy processor to handle all that.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
This doesn't seem like a major upgrade from your previous set. Why not wait until an affordable TV with HDMI 2.1 and VRR is on the market? This was a pretty sideways move all things considered.

The R635 has VRR, as well as Auto Low Latency Mode for games, and 120Hz refresh rate at 1440p (which I verified via my PC with Resident Evil 5 and couldn't distinguish from 4K).

EDIT:

By the way, I verified that even though the TV won't display 4K @ 120Hz, it can accept the signal but will downgrade it to 60Hz.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Yeah after checking out a few users reviews (real people not paid shills) I wouldn't go anywhere near this TV....the H9G is the best in its price range
The H9G has worse quality control. I've read reports of the LEDs being defective and producing dark smudges on panels.

Rbk_3

The R635 has VRR, as well as Auto Low Latency Mode for games, and 120Hz refresh rate at 1440p (which I verified via my PC with Resident Evil 5 and couldn't distinguish from 4K).

EDIT:

By the way, I verified that even though the TV won't display 4K @ 120Hz, it can accept the signal but will downgrade it to 60Hz.

That’s good then at least. I play 1440p/120 on my C9 and it looks pretty good, though can definitely distinguish with 4k at Mj seating distance

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I got one in last week and have tested a few things on it.

First thing: Update the TV. If you don't like the Roku interface you can download the update from this ROKU webpage and install it with a USB drive. This avoids the creating of a Roku account and service activation to simply use the HDMI inputs.

So a few things I have noticed on my end:

PC Use -
  1. I needed to update the unit before I could get HDR to work with a connected PC.
  2. The HDR on the unit looks "ok" in Sekiro.
  3. I could not get the TV to support 120hrz in any resolution above 1080p. With HDR on or off. This could be user error (i spent quite a bit of time trying to get this to work), but just thought I would mention it.
  4. The picture looks fantastic displaying the PC desktop. Text looks great at any scale....none of that Phillips blurry mess at all. Crisp and extremely usable as a PC monitor.
Console Use
PS4 Pro -
  1. No issues hooking it up and getting it to work. I will say I had better luck with HDMI port 1 - 3 during my PC tests, so I avoided the HDMI ARC input.
  2. Started up Ghost of Tsushima since that is the most recent PS4 game with HDR that I played. TV was in game mode, I didn't go ham adjusting any picture settings. HDR was again "ok". Not as good as two Samsung models (even the mediocre 80" produced what I think is a better HDR result)
  3. Close up to the TV (less than 4 feet away) I can notice ghosting/smearing. This effect is lessened when I am viewing at a reasonable distance.
  4. I turned off smooth 480 in the menu and got what I feel is a better game play experience. SFV and Cod:Warzone performed well for me.
  5. See above - no latency issues that I can feel (using a wired joystick for SFV)
Xbox One X -
  1. When it comes to XOX gaming I will admit I do not know my way around their software library (as far as good HDR and VRR games).
  2. TV was recognized in the settings screen, hdr was enabled easily enough as well.
  3. HDR has the same "ok/meh" feel as the PS4 and PC. I played Bloodstained on all three systems (I know not a great HDR game....but it was the quickest for me to test across all three platforms) and the the result was the same.
  4. VRR - I don't know where to start here. Can you all recommend a game I would notice this feature one? I game at 144hrz and 240hrz on PC so I think I would notice the improvement on the XOX, but the games I tried (Forza and Gears) I don't see/feel it.
Shield Pro -
For viewing my media content and streaming services (Roku, in my opinion, is not a great streaming device) this device worked fine.

For a $599USD tv, I would say this is a great gaming unit for the price. I feel disappointed in the HDR results because this TV does support a wide range of formats. This could all be on me however and, as I mentioned before, I did NOT spend a lot of time tweaking settings.

When compared to other panels I have here it performs as one would expect: compared to high end Samsung and LG units this panel does not outperform them in any metric that I tested. Picture, (brightness, dark-ness(?), response time, HDR implementation, local dimming, even physical TV weight).
If someone could point me at a great app that utilizes VRR I would like to check that on on the XOX.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
So, if it's any consolation, the TV can at least accept a 4K-120Hz signal, but it will not display the signal at 120Hz but will display it at 60Hz. Also, I tried Resident Evil 5 at 1440p-120Hz and it worked; the TV both accepted the signal and displayed the game at 120Hz

Hi, can you share what you did on your pc to get this to work? I am using a 2080TI and an highband HDMI cable. When I check out the display modes that the monitor accepts (using Display adapter properties* in windows) it lists 1440p 120hrz but when I choose that my dekstop automatically switches to 800x600. Any tips would be appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Hi, can you share what you did on your pc to get this to work? I am using a 2080TI and an highband HDMI cable. When I check out the display modes that the monitor accepts (using Display adapter properties* in windows) it lists 1440p 120hrz but when I choose that my dekstop automatically switches to 800x600. Any tips would be appreciated, thanks!

I right clicked on the desktop, which caused a menu to appear, selected Display Settings, changed the resolution to 2560 x 1440, selected Advanced Display Settings, selected Display Properties, selected the "Monitor" tab, selected 120Hz, and then selected Apply.

I then verified the refresh rate by clicking the OK button on the TV's remote, which caused the TV to display a tab at the bottom of the screen that displayed the following: 1440p, 120Hz, PCM.

I verfied the refresh rate by also running FRAPS while playing Resident Evil 5; the frame rate according to FRAPS fluctuated between 119 and 120 frames per second.

When I set my PC's output resolution back to 4K, the refresh rate reverted back to 60Hz (as was expected). I ran Resident Evil 5 again at 120 frames per second and FRAPS indicated that the frame rate was fluctuating between 119 and 120 frames per second. I then hit the OK button on the TV's remote, which caused the TV to display the aforementioned info-tab, which listed the following: 4K, 60Hz, PCM.

I'm using an Nvidia GTX 1080Ti.

EDIT:

Perhaps you haven't enabled HDMI 2.0 in the TV's settings. The TV sets each HDMI port to HDMI 1.4 by default.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I got one in last week and have tested a few things on it.

First thing: Update the TV. If you don't like the Roku interface you can download the update from this ROKU webpage and install it with a USB drive. This avoids the creating of a Roku account and service activation to simply use the HDMI inputs.

So a few things I have noticed on my end:

PC Use -
  1. I needed to update the unit before I could get HDR to work with a connected PC.
  2. The HDR on the unit looks "ok" in Sekiro.
  3. I could not get the TV to support 120hrz in any resolution above 1080p. With HDR on or off. This could be user error (i spent quite a bit of time trying to get this to work), but just thought I would mention it.
  4. The picture looks fantastic displaying the PC desktop. Text looks great at any scale....none of that Phillips blurry mess at all. Crisp and extremely usable as a PC monitor.
Console Use
PS4 Pro -
  1. No issues hooking it up and getting it to work. I will say I had better luck with HDMI port 1 - 3 during my PC tests, so I avoided the HDMI ARC input.
  2. Started up Ghost of Tsushima since that is the most recent PS4 game with HDR that I played. TV was in game mode, I didn't go ham adjusting any picture settings. HDR was again "ok". Not as good as two Samsung models (even the mediocre 80" produced what I think is a better HDR result)
  3. Close up to the TV (less than 4 feet away) I can notice ghosting/smearing. This effect is lessened when I am viewing at a reasonable distance.
  4. I turned off smooth 480 in the menu and got what I feel is a better game play experience. SFV and Cod:Warzone performed well for me.
  5. See above - no latency issues that I can feel (using a wired joystick for SFV)
Xbox One X -
  1. When it comes to XOX gaming I will admit I do not know my way around their software library (as far as good HDR and VRR games).
  2. TV was recognized in the settings screen, hdr was enabled easily enough as well.
  3. HDR has the same "ok/meh" feel as the PS4 and PC. I played Bloodstained on all three systems (I know not a great HDR game....but it was the quickest for me to test across all three platforms) and the the result was the same.
  4. VRR - I don't know where to start here. Can you all recommend a game I would notice this feature one? I game at 144hrz and 240hrz on PC so I think I would notice the improvement on the XOX, but the games I tried (Forza and Gears) I don't see/feel it.
Shield Pro -
For viewing my media content and streaming services (Roku, in my opinion, is not a great streaming device) this device worked fine.

For a $599USD tv, I would say this is a great gaming unit for the price. I feel disappointed in the HDR results because this TV does support a wide range of formats. This could all be on me however and, as I mentioned before, I did NOT spend a lot of time tweaking settings.

When compared to other panels I have here it performs as one would expect: compared to high end Samsung and LG units this panel does not outperform them in any metric that I tested. Picture, (brightness, dark-ness(?), response time, HDR implementation, local dimming, even physical TV weight).
If someone could point me at a great app that utilizes VRR I would like to check that on on the XOX.

Did you switch the HDMI ports from HDMI 1.4 to 2.0 in the TV's settings? You have to do that to enable the TV's wide color gamut, which should improve its HDR performance.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
IPerhaps you haven't enabled HDMI 2.0 in the TV's settings. The TV sets each HDMI port to HDMI 1.4 by default.
Did you switch the HDMI ports from HDMI 1.4 to 2.0 in the TV's settings? You have to do that to enable the TV's wide color gamut, which should improve its HDR performance.

Pretty sure I did that, but I did have it unplugged for a few hours, maybe settings got wiped.

will double check on my end!

Guys get the hisense H9G, the PQ is incredible much better than the TCL and its input lag is better than the 900h and 950h. 120hz panel, but no hdmi 2.1, which isnt a big deal unless you plan on gaming on a 3090 GPU. The new consoles will not be doing 4k 120fps lol.
Yep I got the H9G and love it for the picture. The down side is aside from great input lag it has no VRR or HDMI 2.1. Its also a 120hz panel that doesnt actually display anything at 120hz. Still a great TV though because for the price the picture wont be beat by anything nearly as affordable. And its still fine for gaming you just dont get the bells and whistles.

Basically if gaming is all you care about get the R635 or Sony 900H, otherwise get the H9G which is still good for gaming and has a better picture than those sets.

What im going to do is probably sell my H9G next year to buy next years model which will no doubt add those gaming features.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
My original plan was to give my R617 to my mom after getting the R635. However, I've fallen in love with the R635 as a 4K monitor but still want a separate TV. Hence, I'm keeping my R617 and have therefore ordered another TCL for my mom.

NkJaNJ5.jpg

My original plan was to give my R617 to my mom after getting the R635. However, I've fallen in love with the R635 as a 4K monitor but still want a separate TV. Hence, I'm keeping my R617 and have therefore ordered another TCL for my mom.

NkJaNJ5.jpg

So I take it you're pleased?

It's my impression the first reactions on YouTube have been overwhelmingly negative. Can you comment on that?

TheContact

the TCL, esp the new 2020 with QLED with hdmi 2.1 is the best TV you can buy for the money at the moment. If you have disposable income, go with a high end Samsung.

Rbk_3

One term: Burn-in.

Benefits far outweigh the risks of burn in for me. 4k/120fps/HDR with VRR and infinite contrast ratio will be amazing once the 3090 come out. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Also, in 2-3 years I will probably upgrade anyway and it will become the living room TV. I have had Plasmas before and the story was the exact same, all this fear and never a hint of burn in.

S0ULZB0URNE

If the new consoles or the tv can upscale the 1440p and you don't want to break the bank... id get it or spend more and get the Sony X900H.

S0ULZB0URNE

I currently have a TCL R617; I've had it since June-2018 and I love it. However, I'm tempted to upgrade soon.

EDIT:

I've considered models by other brands, such as the Sony X900H, which will support 4K-HDR @ 120Hz via a firmware update. However, the Sony X900H has lower contrast and overall lower brightness levels in both SDR and HDR than even my 55R617, as you can see via the following link:

Link: https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/tcl-r617-vs-sony-x900h/613/12284?usage=11114&threshold=0.1

Ironically, though the Sony X950H is higher-speced than the X900H, it will not support 4K-HDR @ 120Hz as it does not have an HDMI 2.1 port. The same applies to the X950G.

If the 8 Series of 2020 won't satisfy my requirements, I think I'll just settle for the 6 Series of 2020, because it still supports Variable Refresh Rate, Auto Low Latency Mode, and eARC.
We have 2 TCL 6 series one 2018 and one 2019. I can honestly say the X900H is brighter,has better blacks and SIGNIFICANTLY better motion. I can say this by seeing it for myself in person owning all 3.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
In person we have 2 TCL 6 series one 2018 and one 2019. I can honestly say the X900H is brighter,has better blacks and SIGNIFICANTLY better motion.

I'm aware that TCL's tend to have worse motion than other brands. However, I doubt that the maximum brightness of the R617 is less than the X900H. You must not have the correct settings selected or you haven't calibrated the TV correctly or at all; Rtings came to their conclusion via rigorous scientific testing.

The Pweep

Neo Member
Well, mine got delivered today... Cracked screen on bottom right. Delivered from Amazon with UPS.... I'm so fn ticked off.

The Pweep

Neo Member
Damn, you're unlucky. Mine was delivered by Amazon themselves.
Thats what they should do with all their money... why go with another shipper who tosses these boxes around for fun... they are giving me a measly $30 credit... have to wait another week.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Thats what they should do with all their money... why go with another shipper who tosses these boxes around for fun... they are giving me a measly $30 credit... have to wait another week.

I've got another TCL (R625) headed to my mom's place from Amazon via UPS; I hope that it arrives undamaged and without any screen defects. My first TCL (R617) was delivered via UPS (though I had to travel to a UPS center to pick it up because they weren't delivering to my address at the time due to one of their drivers getting into a verbal altercation with someone who lives in my building); it was undamaged and works well to this day.

S0ULZB0URNE

I'm aware that TCL's tend to have worse motion than other brands. However, I doubt that the maximum brightness of the R617 is less than the X900H. You must not have the correct settings selected or you haven't calibrated the TV correctly or at all; Rtings came to their conclusion via rigorous scientific testing.
It is though. I tweak the heck out of my TV's.
You don't have to believe me and can believe what "they" tell you.
Keep in mind they have suspect results when it comes to brightness tests.
The written test results had the Q9 beating the Z9D in most tests but when they tested live it painted a different picture....
(spoiler unlike the "results on the site" the live test has the Z9D winning 8 out of 9 times)
Also they do input lag tests with Local Dimming Off.. Why wtf?

I suggest comparing in person for yourself.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
It is though. I tweak the heck out of my TV's.
You don't have to believe me and can believe what "they" tell you.
Keep in mind they have suspect results when it comes to brightness tests.
The written test results had the Q9 beating the Z9D in most tests but when they tested live it painted a different picture....
(spoiler unlike the "results on the site" the live test has the Z9D winning 8 out of 9 times)
Also they do input lag tests with Local Dimming Off.. Why wtf?

I suggest comparing in person for yourself.

Well, I concede defeat. Regardless of the actual stats, I already have my R635 and am satisfied with it.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
No bro you win as you spent less and enjoy it right?
TCL and Sony are tops imo.
Yes, but I'm interested in calibrating the TV, which is something that I've never done before. The equipment that I need costs $300, and I don't want to spend that much money after buying my R635 and an R635 for my mother.

The H9G has worse quality control. I've read reports of the LEDs being defective and producing dark smudges on panels.

Definitely not burn-in, but bad panel. Some reviews are out now for the TV. Blown out highlights, crushed blacks, and poor color accuracy. You get what you pay for. You're much better off with TCL or Vizio around those prices.

Benefits far outweigh the risks of burn in for me. 4k/120fps/HDR with VRR and infinite contrast ratio will be amazing once the 3090 come out. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Also, in 2-3 years I will probably upgrade anyway and it will become the living room TV. I have had Plasmas before and the story was the exact same, all this fear and never a hint of burn in.
To be fair, later model year OLED panels do a much better job mitigating burn-in. With that said, HDR is not going to do OLED any favors. LG CX is still on my watch list, but if TCL's Vidrian hits all the right notes, I'll just have to make a 65' work in my living room.

Definitely not burn-in, but bad panel. Some reviews are out now for the TV. Blown out highlights, crushed blacks, and poor color accuracy. You get what you pay for. You're much better off with TCL or Vizio around those prices.
crushed blacks and overblown highlights if you dont know anything about settings sure, otherwise, shadow detail is actually a strength of it. See the Rtings review if you dont believe me. The H9G is the LED to beat.

BluRayHiDef

Banned

Yea, I was going to order the H9G for my mom, but these accounts of hardware failure frightened me, so I ordered her a TCL 55R625. I think that the reason for the H9G's hardware failure is that its components are pushed beyond their limits in order for the TV to achieve such amazing performance.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Here's a video demonstrating the TCL 55R635 processing refresh rates at 1080p, 1440p, and 4K.

NOTE:

In the video I explain that the TV can receive a 4K signal at a refresh rate above 60Hz but that it will downgrade the signal to 60Hz. However, my statement that the TV is what downgrades the signal may have been wrong, because I didn't take into consideration that I was using an HDMI cable with a bandwidth of 18Gbps, which isn't designed to convey a 4K signal at above 60Hz; hence, it may be the HDMI cable that downgrades the signal. In order to be absolutely sure that the TV is what downgrades the signal or that the TV is capable of even downgrading such a signal, I'd have to use an HDMI cable that has a bandwidth of 48Gbps, which I do not currently have.

I don’t think hdmi 2.1 is gonna be a big deal because barley any games will hit 4K 120 . I do expect a lot of 1440 and 1080 120 options in games and current hdmi ports do that

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I don’t think hdmi 2.1 is gonna be a big deal because barley any games will hit 4K 120 . I do expect a lot of 1440 and 1080 120 options in games and current hdmi ports do that

Yep, 1440p actually looks quite good anyhow. The Last of Us Part II is rendered natively at 1440p on the PS4 Pro without checkerboard rending and it looks fantastic; it relies on general upscaling by the PS4 Pro and therefore doesn't benefit from any visual enhancement via the upscaling, yet it's still one of the best looking games of this generation.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Here's a video demonstrating the TCL 55R635 processing refresh rates at 1080p, 1440p, and 4K.

NOTE:

In the video I explain that the TV can receive a 4K signal at a refresh rate above 60Hz but that it will downgrade the signal to 60Hz. However, my statement that the TV is what downgrades the signal may have been wrong, because I didn't take into consideration that I was using an HDMI cable with a bandwidth of 18Gbps, which isn't designed to convey a 4K signal at above 60Hz; hence, it may be the HDMI cable that downgrades the signal. In order to be absolutely sure that the TV is what downgrades the signal or that the TV is capable of even downgrading such a signal, I'd have to use an HDMI cable that has a bandwidth of 48Gbps, which I do not currently have.

Looks good man. Probably nothing better for the price.

BluRayHiDef

Banned

Yep, for gaming this is the best bang for your buck. A lot of people are disappointed that it doesn't support 4K @120Hz, but games that run at those settings will be rare. Also, quite honestly, I personally cannot tell the difference between 60Hz and 120Hz with Resident Evil 5 (but perhaps the difference is noticeable in other games).

The Pweep

Neo Member
Amazon is giving me a $75.00 credit. So if I get another broken delivery, and then few more. I'll have a free TV.
:messenger_unamused:

Reactions: MrS
I'm curious why there's 100+ dimmable zones when they have 10,000 LEDs? Is it a controller end limitation? Could it improve (don't count on it), or is it also physical wiring and cones to the zones?

I guess something did have to differentiate their higher end series in the end. Even the 8 series has 1000 control zones for 25,000 LEDs. At first when I heard Apple was going mini LED with its macbooks with 10,000 LEDs, I assumed each one of those would be a control zone, but now as I learn more about the technology I guess it's going to be some fraction of that. Does anyone do 1 zone per LED?

The closest to 1 zone per led is the upcoming dual cell technology from hisense, i think it's currently available in some parts of asia. Similar dual panel technology is used in some high end professional monitors.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
The closest to 1 zone per led is the upcoming dual cell technology from hisense, i think it's currently available in some parts of asia. Similar dual panel technology is used in some high end professional monitors.

I think that QNED will be the perfect TV technology due to employing micro-LEDs, which are still larger than pixels and therefore cannot provide contrast that's as good as OLED but can theoretically provide levels of contrast that are negligibly worse while being able to produce levels of brightness that OLED can only dream of: 4000 nits!

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I'll pull for you brother, hope it's in great shape and you enjoy it.

Do you think that your unit was damaged due to carelessness or a genuine accident? Also, how exactly do you think it was damaged? Dropped, impacted by other packages, or subjected to shock waves while being pulled up stairs while on a hand-truck?

Last edited:

The Pweep

Neo Member
Do you think that your unit was damaged due to carelessness or a genuine accident? Also, how exactly do you think it was damaged? Dropped, impacted by other packages, or subjected to shock waves while being pulled up stairs while on a hand-truck?
UPS treated the box like it was a Frisbee I think. The box had some damage. The bottom was almost completely busted of the box. The driver was like. Take it or refuse it. I obviously took the chance. When I set it up, there was just a Crack on the bottom right that you couldn't see unless the unit was on. Damn shame.
She deserved better.

Top Bottom