• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the video game market headed for another crash?

Is the video game market headed for another crash?

• Yes!

Votes: 47 24.9%
  • No way!

Votes: 97 51.3%
  • Give it a little more time!

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I just want to see the answers.

Votes: 20 10.6%

• Total voters

digdug2

With the state of releases as of late (Cyberpunk 2077, Redfall, Gollum, Star Wars Jedi: Survivor, Battlefield 2042, etc.) and the 'release it in a buggy state and patch it later' mentality, do you think that the video game market is headed for a crash? Or were these games' shortcomings COVID-related?

This is not a knee-jerk reaction to the Sony Showcase like a few of you seem to believe. I actually think that the new Spider-Man game looks pretty rad. And I have not gone insane, unlike a few of the posters here.

Last edited:
Crash is a big word. The gaming industry has long become too big to fail. It won't disappear or go bankrupt or anything like that. However, our NeoGAF-dedicated-console-AAA-blockbuster-niche could very well, in the future, experience tremendous turbulences if the market leaders don't respond properly to the demand that's there.

Gandih42

I think with the abundance of hardware to play games on and the multitude of tools to make games, the game market is pretty safe. At most, the structure and goals of AAA might increasingly shift towards monetisation as they entrench themselves in bigger budgets and growth targets to meet.

ahtlas7

I think more appropriately stated would be ”evolution”. The market seems to be undergoing a sort of abnormally large corporate led change/shift. Who knows what we’ll have in a few years. This year has seen some amazing awesome and equally amazing trash games. Major highs and lows in quality and leadership.

Woopah

Many games come out and some have technical problems or are bad.

It doesn't really matter as long as we keep getting games that are critical and/or commercial successes. And we are getting that.

Tsaki

What is "crash" supposed to mean here? That the vast majority of people (read: casuals) are fed up and stop buying games and DLC and studios start laying off people to keep themselves afloat? If so, then no.

kikkis

Well in some way industry is changing in a weird way. Just over decade ago ubisoft was trying to avoid vivendi take over at all costs, now its begging for somebody drop billion dollar check. Same with EA. And biggest of them all Activision is being bought. Given these examples clearly AAA dev is struggling quite a bit.

Kacho

Gold Member
I doubt it will crash but Shawn Layden said the current AAA development model is unsustainable so things will change dramatically.

With the state of releases as of late (Cyberpunk 2077, Redfall, Gollum, Star Wars Jedi: Survivor, Battlefield 2042, etc.) and the 'release it in a buggy state and patch it later' mentality, do you think that the video game market is headed for a crash? Or were these games' shortcomings COVID-related?

Nothing will every be this bad again...

FaintImmaterialJaguar-size_restricted.gif

GTA 6 could take 20 years to come out, Cyberpunk 2077 could be riddled with 10x more glitched than it was...and it still wouldn't be this bad...they buried this fucking game in a landfill it was so bad...

Crash? No, but it is changing in a very negative way. The heavy focus on live service multiplayer games is damaging the quality and creativity in this industry. Gaming is moving away from its roots thanks to the Internet.

Last edited:

Crew511A

Probably not, but we could definitely use a good purge. There's a lot of absolute garbage being released, and it's gotten to the point where buying most AAA games on Day 1 means you get to be an unpaid beta tested. Gaming's not in a great place right now.

Doom85

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable
Frustrated Jack Nicholson GIF
The Big Lebowski What GIF by MOODMAN
The Office What GIF
Jimmy Fallon What GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Some of you all apparently have no state between “holy fuck, HYPE!” and “oh god, it’s all doom and gloom!”. Like, damn.

Maybe lay off the coffee and energy drinks? Smoke some weed? Go high five a grizzly bear? Do something with all this pent up energy and anxiety you’ve got and unleash it in a healthier way.

Wooxsvan

im kinda growing out of most games and only spend my time on games w/ large time investments. (Bloodborne, Elden Ring, Destiny, Monster Hunter etc.) most other games cant keep my interest. but the gaming market as a whole continues to expand and there is no major sign of a massive drop.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Triple A gaming and the assets required are really still the issue. The chase for real life graphics is too time consuming. The development, tools, up scaling, AI has not caught up to the required level to keep pace. You can only throw a finite number of people at a game; good lord UBISOFT does try with their 20,000 employees. Never mind outsourcing. It's pretty much the same situation as the lack of improvements of batteries for portable devices holding that space back.

People's expectations are out of whack these days and the cost of failure for these developers is just way too high. I almost feel like we are finally at a point of diminishing returns, graphics for the most part are fine. Just improve systems to obtain 4k/60 fps.

Not crashing, but if they aren't careful, they will price themselves out of the casual market and gaming will be for the rich.

digdug2

Do something with all this pent up energy and anxiety you’ve got and unleash it in a healthier way.
Says another guy in a video game forum.
"Sony Announced Playstation Showcase"

Sony Fanboy: OMG, SONY IS GOING TO KILL XBOX LET'S GOOOO​
"Sony Showcase is Bad"

Sony Fanboy: oMg gAmInG iS dYiNG​
Really? Did I even say anything about the Sony Showcase? I don't recall doing so.

2600 games were in demand enough to restart development and continue for years, you have to ask whether the videogame "crash" was simply supply mismanagement and media / industry hysteria.

Given the number of console competitors and PC, I don't believe the market really will suffer the same withdrawal unless games are surpassed by better interactive experiences.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I doubt thats even possible now. As long as you have the hardware they'll always be something to play. These days it's not tied to a handful of Corps calling the shots.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Says another guy in a video game forum.

Really? Did I even say anything about the Sony Showcase? I don't recall doing so.

Im assuming most of these threads are because of the showcase.

Sorry if it wasnt.....

....By the way, the gaming market profits keep increasing every year, so no crash

global_games_market_2012-2021_per_segment.png

digdug2

What's with all this hyperbolic doom posting lately!? :messenger_tears_of_joy:
There's no exaggeration in saying that game budgets are ridiculous, developers are being overworked and crunched, and many of the end products ultimately aren't delivering on the hype surrounding them. Sure, part of the problem is the consumer wanting bigger and better, but when game companies release bullshots and CGI trailers and the actual game doesn't come anywhere near to living up to what the publisher promised, there's a major issue.

Maybe I'm getting jaded in my old age, but it really just seems as though the game industry in its current form isn't going to be sustainable for much longer.

digdug2

Im assuming most of these threads are because of the showcase.

Sorry if it wasnt.....

....By the way, the gaming market profits keep increasing every year, so no crash

global_games_market_2012-2021_per_segment.png
Fair enough. While I thought the Sony offering was somewhat disappointing, it wasn't my motivation for posting this poll. I am just getting tired of all of these games being released in a shitty broken state with us consumers basically being the beta testers.

Even though the Y-O-Y profits keep rising, how much longer do you think the consumers will let this go on? With the rising inflation, it's getting more expensive to keep a roof over my head, food in my belly, and gas in my car. I am becoming more and more selective with my purchases, and I know I'm not the only one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom