• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is The Wonderful 101 the most voluminous and varied action game ever? I said WOW!

Salih

Somebody better call an ambulance when Neiteio reaches the end. Shit will blow his mind away!

GOTY - it's not even close.

Neiteio

You guys are going to hype Neiteio to death.
So this is how it feels to be on the receiving end. :)

I am not even close to finished and each boss could be the final boss in any game. Shit gets so freaking awesome and incredible. This game is my killer app.
Seriously, the boss in Operation 003-C felt grander than the final boss of 99 percent of games.

Also, I'd like to recognize the humor in this game. Lots of recurring jokes that, amazingly, get funnier each time. Favorites include:
Blue telling Green to "Stick a ___ in it, ___" (insert various French words); Pink's crush on "Vorkkie;" and of course, Red's boy-scout personality and "Diplomacy has failed again, team!")

And whenever they use Unlimited Form, and the little intro plays, I always feel like a kid again, back when I'd come home from school and backflip off the couch swinging orange plastic nunchuks while watching TMNT.

JoeFenix

You definitely haven't seen shit yet, 5-C was where I completely lost it. That was gloriously unexpected!

Btw, I'm getting major double post issues when editing, anyone know what's up with that?

Is it a known bug in the forum software?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
It's fucking incredible.

Sorry for saying fucking, but really...

It's fucking incredible.

Frodo

I've seen people complaining you can't skip the Unlimited Form scene, and need to watch it every time. I like it. Feels like the Super Sentai shows or animes like Saint Seya or Sailor Moon where you go through the same transformation scene every single episode. In the end you just learn to appreciate it. :p

Neiteio

Another thing I love is even with all of the mechanics, the game is so thorough and gets so much mileage out of each move. For example, outside of combat, you might use the fist to turn cranks, the sword to slice tall grass, the gun to shoot targets on a water tank to snuff out a fire, the whip to swing across gaps, the hammer to sink and walk underwater, the claws to pry open doors and scale walls, and so on. Each move has multiple uses outside of battle, and you alternate between them on a regular basis, solving environmental puzzles that I'd describe as "simple but satisfying."

Hell, it's fun simply drawing the shapes to form the morphs, whether for combat or the downtime in-between. There's something about quickly flicking the stick this way and that way to create the proper form, pumping it up with longer lines, that just feels right. It evokes the hand-gesturing of an actual superhero powering up. It feels like you're pulling power of the thin air and massaging that power into weapons of mass destruction.

Seriously, THAT FEEL you get creating a 100-man Unite Sword and then uppercutting a two-story behemoth into the air. And then proceeding to juggle the poor sap with slices the size of skyscrapers. And falling back down to the ground as the beast explodes above you. Or maybe finessing more morphs on the way down, summoning fists of fury and cracking whips and blazing firearms to finish the job.

You become a 100-man whirling dervish of disaster. Like some sort of Tasmanian Devil-style tornado. You figure out how to crack your enemies' defenses, and then you obliterate them.

God, I just can not wait to get a wii U. This game sounds like it will justify every cent almost on its own. This game was made for me.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Neiterio I expect a full report from you complete with pictures taken from the game once your done. Like coming straight off of the credits screen.

joe2187

Banned
I imagine Bayo 2 to reach gurren lagann levels of epicness.

And then I wonder...what if Platinum made a gurren lagann game.

totowhoa

Banned
Argghhhh!! I want to play this game so badly! Went through a rough patch recently and had to put my Wii U and Vita in pawn shop to make rent. Now that my new job has started I'll finally be able to throw down the $500 + interest in a few weeks and dig into this game. Can't wait!

Neiteio

I'd also like to comment that this game is truly a case of "leave no stone unturned." Seriously -- explore every opening on every wall, circle anything circular or any area that seems suspiciously empty, and study the periphery of the screen for inconsistencies (I.E. this edge is not like the rest). And always -- ALWAYS -- destroy everything in sight. The game will reward you handsomely for your thoroughness and curiosity, showering you with O-Parts (the currency for new moves, custom blocks and skills!), or unearthing action figures, files and more.

Best of all is when you find groups of civilians containing one of the Wonderful Ones, which you can then recruit to the cause. Some of these heroes are hilarious. And often you see them but they're trapped behind a waterfall, or atop a burning building, or whatever, and you have to figure out how to reach them. In this respect it's like a great Zelda or Metroid game, where you're teased with something seemingly out of reach, until you figure out how to use your tools to approach the environment the right way.

It's addictive, trying to uncover everything a level has to offer. I'm sure I've missed a ton of stuff, despite scouring every corner with a fine-toothed comb.

ryushe

Haven't really sunk my teeth into this game yet since I've been captivated by WW -- again...(not like I have beaten this game twice before on the NGC), but from what I've played, I thoroughly enjoyed my time with it, but know it deserves my utmost attention. Can't wait to finally give it that.

Plus I've read a few of the OP previous post and he's a lover of Kid Icarus: Uprising, so this guy has taste which means he's cool with me.

Subbed.

Defect

This thread is making me rethink getting the WiiU or at least purchasing W101 before it becomes rare...

Sucks that my plate is so full right now or else I would have jumped without thought and just based on the goodwill here.
Why would it become rare?

I don't even own a Wii U(yet) and I just told my brother to get me a copy when he goes to the USA next week, I hope it's not to hard to find.

I still can't believe I went from thinking about trading the game in to calling it my current game of the year, even over Bioshock Infinite. I'll admit the frustrating elements were getting to me a little much, but the more I played, the more... enamored, I guess, you could say I got toward the characters, the satisfying feel of the gameplay, the music, the universe, even the story which I found to be oddly entertaining and dare I say emotional. Sure it's very tongue-in-cheek and comedic and intentionally cliche, but there were elements about the story that I found myself feeling very fond of, it basically made me feel like I was back in the 90's watching Saturday morning cartoons and being completely invested in them. There's just so much character and charm. I loved every single major player and their little quirks that made them extremely likable.

I really want to know a couple things

1. What the hell do I buy after Guts and Spring

2. What do I use X for aside from drawing pictures and hitting X to make my guys do a little separate combo

3. What do I do with the mixer?

PKrockin

With how intense, engaging, unpredictable, and just batshit crazy this game is, I actually feel a little tired after finishing an operation. Every mission throws something new at me to keep me on my toes, and it's adapt or die.

I really want to know a couple things

1. What the hell do I buy after Guts and Spring

2. What do I use X for aside from drawing pictures and hitting X to make my guys do a little separate combo

3. What do I do with the mixer?

1. The item that increases the charge rate of your Unite Gauge is great, also the gravestone Unite Morph is good. Speed Liner if you can already make shapes with ease.

2. Group Attack makes your heroes cling to enemies, doing slight damage over time and making them less able to dodge or block your Unite Morphs. Keep using group attack on them and they'll get stunned, making them helpless.

3. I like to just save up 30 of each ingredient to make the credit card which I can trade for any single thing from the store.

george_us

I still can't believe I went from thinking about trading the game in to calling it my current game of the year, even over Bioshock Infinite. I'll admit the frustrating elements were getting to me a little much, but the more I played, the more... enamored, I guess, you could say I got toward the characters, the satisfying feel of the gameplay, the music, the universe, even the story which I found to be oddly entertaining and dare I say emotional. Sure it's very tongue-in-cheek and comedic and intentionally cliche, but there were elements about the story that I found myself feeling very fond of, it basically made me feel like I was back in the 90's watching Saturday morning cartoons and being completely invested in them. There's just so much character and charm. I loved every single major player and their little quirks that made them extremely likable.
I was seriously about to trade this in for NSMBU until I read this. I'm about halfway through Operation 003 and I'm just not liking the game at all. The controls and and some of the design decisions that were made are so goddamn frustrating. Especially the controls. Having to draw shapes just to change your damn weapon is aggravating as fuck. Admittedly though I don't outright hate the game like I did the first two hours in. Maybe if I get further I'll even start to like the game!

1. Yeah, the unite gauge recharging custom block should be next. After that it's kinda up in the air. I say the Hero Time block after that so you get the slow down on successful dodges or the Speed Liner skill so you can make shapes faster. I would save stuff like the Unite Rocket for last. I bought that right away since I thought it'd help find items...I can only think of one item that needs it and hazy memories of a second one that may not even exist.

2. As said earlier they can stun an enemy so you can throw them by drawing a circle around them or hit them with a Wonderful Rising to start an air combo.

3. Credit Cards. Although if you're going for a 100% collection rate, I'd spend the parts on making a bunch of little meals since one of the bottlecaps require you to mix 100 items. For every one credit card you could make six meals. You'll more than make up the money needed for the other upgrades during the item hunting of past stages and trying for Platinum ranks.

So, in terms of buildup, growth, continually upping the ante etc.

Is this the Breaking Bad of gaming?

Except with a completely different tone, of course.

morikaze

Banned
Thanks now I have to buy this game before it gets rare even though I will probably not play it for a really long time -_-

jblank83

I started playing W101 a couple of days ago. I'm a believer.

Gotdamn game just won't stop. It's amazing and completely quality through and through. The fact it got middling reviews is blowing my mind.

OryoN

I'd have to agree! I beat the game on normal already, but it feels like I've only just began to scratch the surface. There are tons of combat strategies that I only learned toward the end that I can't wait to employ on a fresh run. Higher difficulties, new morphs, skills, customizations that I want to integrate into battle, unique taunts I need to try, a ton of secrets and collectibles, better award medals I want to earn, etc. Even content such as unique QTE fails, or simply pausing the game on different missions to see what comment the captain will make. This game is packed with content to discover! Heck, only a couple days ago did I realize that tapping the attack button during Green's
wonderful stinger, makes him shoot faster!
Felt silly for not trying it earlier, but that's the type of game this is - full of little details!

Neiteio

I was seriously about to trade this in for NSMBU until I read this. I'm about halfway through Operation 003 and I'm just not liking the game at all. The controls and and some of the design decisions that were made are so goddamn frustrating. Especially the controls. Having to draw shapes just to change your damn weapon is aggravating as fuck. Admittedly though I don't outright hate the game like I did the first two hours in. Maybe if I get further I'll even start to like the game!
I played the demo quite a few times before playing the full game, so I had overcome the admittedly steep learning curve.

First of all, don't use the touchscreen. Use the right stick. Shapes don't have to be precise. When you realize this, it becomes like a fighting game, but much simpler. Take it from someone who has a hard time pulling off hadokens!

FIST -- Quick circle on the right stick.

SWORD -- Quick tap in any direction.

GUN -- Quick tap up, then right.

WHIP -- Wiggle the stick up.

HAMMER -- Quick tap up, then a circle.

CLAWS -- Tap right. Then left. Then right.

BOMB -- Quick circle, then tap up.

Then activate each morph by tapping A. The longer you hold any of the directions, the bigger the "shape," and the stronger the morph. You need more heroes and more gauge to make bigger morphs, of course.

Remember, you don't need to be precise. Also remember, the game goes into slow-mo when you make shapes, and it does NOT have to be one continuous movement. For example, when making the claws, you can tap in one direction, then stop, then the opposite direction, then stop, and then the final direction, before hitting A.

Once you realize this, and start using the stick, making morphs is easy. At that point, it becomes about HOW you use them.

Use the fist and hammer to soften up armored foes. The fist can block fire attacks and throw fireballs back at the enemy; the hammer can shield you from missiles falling from above. Use the sword to swat aside small enemies, cleave through gelatinous foes, and deflect laser beams. Use the gun to shoot flying foes or gather up enemy bombs and fire them back. Use the whip to rip away spiky armor, and the claws to pry open enemy defenses. Use the bombs to slow down speedy targets.

Use the X button repeatedly to swarm enemies with your men. Keep tapping X, swarming them over and over, until they grow stunned, and then staggered. When they're disabled with stars whirling about their head, they're easy to launch into the air with a Wonder Rising -- jumping with B, and then hitting with A -- and once in the air, you can launch them higher with a second Wonder Rising, or quickly crank out different Unite Morphs, activating them with the X button instead of A so that the computer AI dishes them out while you continue to attack with your main morph. You can have fists, swords, guns, etc, all working at the same time in this fashion.

With Unite Guts, you can bounce back tank missiles, and even the tanks themselves when they charge or jump on you. If you see an enemy wind up a punting kick or raise a clenched fist, you can throw them off-balance blocking in this fashion. You can dodge many attacks you can't block using Unite Spring. With the Dodge Mine equipped on the Custom Block (see your sub-menus), you'll even leave a mine when you dodge that makes enemies flash purple. When they flash purple, you can circle them like you'd circle civilians, and recruit them to your cause. And if you're surrounded by explosions, dash with Y and your group will tighten up into a compact formation that makes it easier to navigate a perilous environment.

Also know you can control the camera: L and R toggle between various levels of zoom, and when exploring the interior of a building on the GamePad, use L to center the camera behind your character.

These are just starter tips. I recommend replaying the first level until you get the hang of things. At some point, everything will CLICK. After that, it's smooth sailing!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Whenever I play this game, I feel like there's -- uhh -- a sheet of glass between me and the game? Like, I can see everything happening. I'm in control of it. I just... feel extremely disconnected from everything happening on screen. I have no investment in anything.

"Oh, that happened."

"yep, that's a big thing."

"Oh, so I died."

"I guess I'll keep hitting the attack button?"

"My hammer became a whip by mistake... oh."

I'm not offended by any of it, but there's nothing visceral about the experience. It washes over me. This is probably because I don't really understand how to play the game. The systems are completely baffling.

sfried

Whenever I play this game, I feel like there's -- uhh -- a sheet of glass between me and the game? Like, I can see everything happening. I'm in control of it. I just... feel extremely disconnected from everything happening on screen. I have no investment in anything.

"Oh, that happened."

"Oh, so I died."

I'm not offended by any of it, but there's nothing visceral about the experience. It washes over me. This is probably because I don't really understand how to play the game. The systems are completely baffling.
If it's taking you very long to defeat a boss, then you know something isn't right, especially when you get a Consolation Prices.

Try to find ways to stunlock enemies and give them whopping amounts of massive damage.

Neiteio

"Oh, that happened."

"Oh, so I died."

My previous post might help. I think what you described is the way the game feels for people before they get the hang of quickly and intuitively changing morphs. Once you can quickly assume the morph you want, when you want and the way you want, you feel much more in control.

Also, as you learn the various tells of the enemies and experiment with the different weapons and ways of approaching them, you begin to realize there are many ways to streamline each encounter, which again makes you feel more in control.

TAS

LOL I'm right at 5B as well. The demo impressed me, but I had NO idea how massive and packed to the brim this game is. It has totally blown me away. This game alone is reason to own a Wii U.

Neiteio

Did you finish 005C yet
I'm busy with some work-related matters, browsing GAF in an alt-tab. I'm not sure I'll get to the game tonight! But taking it slow is a nice way to play a game as over-the-top as TW101. My mind is still processing everything that happened last night when I played 4-B, 4-C and 5-A. I usually do two to three levels per sitting.

Fandangox

I'm busy with some work-related matters, browsing GAF in an alt-tab. I'm not sure I'll get to the game tonight! But taking it slow is a nice way to play a game as over-the-top as TW101. My mind is still processing everything that happened last night when I played 4-B, 4-C and 5-A. I usually do two to three levels per sitting.

Just.

Just let us know when you do that stage. Don't rush it.

I completely understand your issues with the game. From the sounds of things I had a similar experience. And I'm not going to say that just because I ended up thinking the game was phenomenal that I think it's perfect. Obviously a "perfect" game would never have one thinking of trading it in. However, again, it's one of those things which, by the end, could either fucking blow your mind or keep you on the same train of thought.

Honestly, people keep pointing out specific stages and bosses, and truth be told, I don't really recall what's so special about anything specifically because it all ended up being so awesome to me. I just felt that most of the game was incredible and so I can't really point out specific moments or levels or bosses that blew me away because most of them did. Again I had an... interesting experience with the game, going from loving it to not really caring for it, but by the end I just guess everything ended up clicking for me and reflecting on it, it really is one of the best games I've ever played. It's a game I'll never get rid of and the game that made me seriously endorse the console.

I seriously cannot wait until the OP and some of you other guys actually finish the game. Seriously/Wonder Blue

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I just want to sit down and play this all day (alternating with Puppeteer and GTAV). Fuck school man. Can't wait for the holiday season where I can finally dive into this.

Neiteio

I just want to sit down and play this all day (alternating with Puppeteer and GTAV). Fuck school man. Can't wait for the holiday season where I can finally dive into this.
I started playing TW101 when GTAV killed my PS3. (New PS3 arrived today!) And prior to GTAV, I was loving the heck out of Puppeteer. Those three games together? I half-suspect you'll shirk off your mortal coil and rise to Valhalla. Pure gaming nirvana!

I started playing TW101 when GTAV killed my PS3. (New PS3 arrived today!) And prior to GTAV, I was loving the heck out of Puppeteer. Those three games together? I half-suspect you'll shirk off your mortal coil and rise to Valhalla. Pure gaming nirvana!

I may not get a PS4 this year (probably in January) because of all the GREAT current gen games available now and coming soon. GTAV, W101, Pikmin 3, Mario 3D World, Pokemon, Zelda: ALBW, FF14... I mean, I don't really see much of a need to own a next gen console on day one with all this fucking shit out and coming out.

I am not calling the Wii U current gen

Neiteio

I may not get a PS4 this year (probably in January) because of all the GREAT current gen games available now and coming soon. GTAV, W101, Pikmin 3, Mario 3D World, Pokemon, Zelda: ALBW, FF14... I mean, I don't really see much of a need to own a next gen console on day one with all this fucking shit out and coming out.
Yep, I'm in no rush to get a PS4. The really good stuff will come later next year and by then the launch kinks will be ironed out. Might even be some deals to be had.

In the meantime there's so much variety to enjoy in the current gen, and at such great value. Some of the finest games EVER created came out this year. Let's enjoy them!

Hypron

LOL I'm right at 5B as well. The demo impressed me, but I had NO idea how massive and packed to the brim this game is. It has totally blown me away. This game alone is reason to own a Wii U.

Yep, it's the only game I own on the console and I'm already satisfied with my purchase.

Top Bottom