• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is The Wonderful 101 the most voluminous and varied action game ever? I said WOW!

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
It's Nintendo published. This game won't go down in price for years, if ever.

Other M and Sin and Punishment 2 say otherwise.

It's already 49 on amazon

Nintendo games never dropping was a byproduct of the Wii phenomenon.(they had a "player's choice" discount brand like everyone else on the cube) I don't think they'll have that luxury on Wii-U. Especially their titles that don't do well.

moolamb

Shit, I just bought wind waker and pikmin 3 today with the Toys R Us B1G1 40% Nintendo game sale. I was really thinking about getting this game but also really wanted pikmin. After reading this thread I might be returning it.....what do you guys think? I was excited for both games and have been waiting for a deal like this to pick up pikman, which is why I bought it.

I completely forgot about Pikmin after starting this game... It killed Pikmin for me. So I guess the advice is play Pikmin first?

TDLink

This game looks amazing.

Are people worried about the game going out of print? Is this a reasonable worry?

It is definitely something that could reasonably happen. However, there will always be an unlimited supply of the digital version so it shouldn't get to Xenoblade craziness. If you want a physical copy may not be a bad idea to get it this year opposed to next though.

It is definitely something that could reasonably happen. However, there will always be an unlimited supply of the digital version so it shouldn't get to Xenoblade craziness. If you want a physical copy may not be a bad idea to get it this year opposed to next though.

Seems like there's way more stock of the game floating around than Xenoblade, which was made purely to fit demand at one moment in time. But we'll see. This game is my main reason for wanting a WiiU, but I don't intend to buy one for about six months to a year.

Shit, I just bought wind waker and pikmin 3 today with the Toys R Us B1G1 40% Nintendo game sale. I was really thinking about getting this game but also really wanted pikmin. After reading this thread I might be returning it.....what do you guys think? I was excited for both games and have been waiting for a deal like this to pick up pikman, which is why I bought it.

No no no! keep pikmin 3, it's fantastic. Get W101 too when you can.

(play pikmin with the wii motion+)

Darryl

Banned
sadly i kind of think the game is too much for me. the combat system is fun as hell. i wish it was more playtime with the crazy combat system than it is confusing QTE sequences that i always seem to mess up on. there's certainly a lot to it, though. lots of depth to the combat system via those upgrades. the cinematic QTEs are crazy, too. just a weird mixture for me that is a bit of a turn-off.

Air

Banned
Yes to the OP.

Also red is definitely the best character, especially by the end of the game.

Blue was cool, than got annoying, than got cool again.
Prince vorkenn (?) and chewgi are amazing too.

Green is ok.
Pink is ok.
Yellow is ok

Wonder white is hilarious.
Wonder black was underutilized.

Luka sucked.

Neiteio

So many of the boss monsters look amazing! Does the 3D gallery unlocked at the end allow you to look at the monsters in detail from every angle? Do the monsters with the glowing Tron-style lines still have their lines flickering? (I hope so -- it's a cool effect)

I'd love to get a better look at the
giant robot
from the end of 5-C, or the
giant crab
from 6-A.

I played about 5 minutes of the demo and didn't know what the fuck was going on.
Sounds like I'm missing out?

Same her...

I wish there was some kind of "tutorial on having fun playing W101".

It's difficult to grasp for me what's so special about the game.

Running around with a couple of small guys and beating up robots.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
The demo was confusing also for me, and I had play another demo before at some event...while playing the game felt way more natural

I've finished mission 003, and what the hell, I still haven't done the same thing twice..so much variety in combat and situations

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Same her...

Look for vids made by Saur on youtube. He does a great job at explaining the game.

EDIT : Saur's System Breakdown video part 1, part 2

TDLink

Same her...

What's special can't be grasped in 5 minutes or even 30 minutes of a demo. It is the entire package. The deep action gameplay (that builds up as you play more of the game), the great cast of characters, the situations you are put in, the epic showdowns (from even the first boss), and the varied non-main gameplay sections that make the game even more fun. It's the sense of never knowing what is around the next corner of this game in any aspect and being thrown into that fire, figuring it out on the fly. And it is done in such a way where you can't help but smile a lot of the time, and extremely satisfying when you actually start kicking ass.

Honestly you really have to play the entire first operation (ie, through 001-C, the first boss) to really get a good sample of what you can expect from the game as a whole.

moolamb

I played about 5 minutes of the demo and didn't know what the fuck was going on.
Sounds like I'm missing out?

For me, the demo and the actual game were completely different experiences. I wasn't at all hyped by the demo, so I know how you feel. But it would be a great injustice to yourself if you don't play this game in its entirety. Trust me on this.

PKrockin

5 minutes? I didn't know what I was doing for the first 5 hours of X-Com UFO Defense and it turned out to be one of my favorite PC games of all time. When a unique game rolls around you've got to make a conscious effort to learn, and you'll be rewarded.

I've been on the verge of buying that game for 4 years now.

ibrasz1nL8OQcc.jpg

iTXXqsDGYCCdK.jpg

iX2T618nERtW9.jpg

ibrasz1nL8OQcc.jpg

Pretty much an endless cycle of that for me every time I pick it up.

just got wonder black today and finished that mission. the game is amazing! like to me this is the closet i have ever felt to actually playing a hollywood sci-fi movie. Like i know the artstyle might throw some off but everything just meshes together so well. the action NEVER stops!

The best part about the game is that you have to decide if you wanna replay the level you just finished because of how awesome it was, or keep going and see just how much more nasty it could possibly get. I can not remember the last time that's happened to me. In a game, I mean.

Platy

Pink is in this game to bait Anita Sarkeesian. That's is likely the the reason she is vain, bitchy, catty, fashion/hair/makeup-obsessed, driven by love, Green's object of lust, motherly to Luka, the game's main sex appeal, talks a lot on her cellphone, uses a whip, and wears the color pink all at once.

z7bPaVw.png

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Yeah this game is pretty amazing. I only wish I had more time for my consoles these days to play it.

Nyoro SF

Just finished.

Amazing game.

Some frustrating parts with the camera that shouldn't have been frustrating... but I can forgive it. Most of these annoyances came during platforming sections.

hao chi

I played through the coop missions on a friend's Wii U as well as the beginning of the campaign. Really like what I've played so far, even though I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing most of the time (especially in hard mode coop missions). The quality of the game isn't surprising though since it's Platinum and Kamiya; I'm guessing it'll be my GOTY once I get my own Wii U (planning on seeing if there's any Black Friday deals on Amazon).

I'll probably pick up a copy of W101 before I get a Wii U though, to show Platinum some love.

Nyoro SF

Did this person not see
Platinum Robo a.k.a. Mother Platinum/Professor Margarita? She kicked all sorts of ass in the end, and wasn't even sexualized.

Ahem...Back to our regular scheduled programing....

That would involve her actually playing the game and not putting up an act for clicks.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Did this person not see
Platinum Robo a.k.a. Mother Platinum/Professor Margarita? She kicked all sorts of ass in the end, and wasn't even sexualized.

Ahem...Back to our regular scheduled programing....

The date on the tweet is August 7th. Which is before the game dropped in any territory.

All she's doing is reacting to the trailer that had released at that time. Like we all did

but that won't stop us from screencapping it for unwarranted future outrage.

That would involve her actually playing the game and not putting up an act for clicks.

It's twitter...

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Followers then.

Even then, criticizing a niche game that no one cares about seems like a funny way to go about that.

She probably got more harassment from people viewing this thread than she did followers from this message

Nyoro SF

Even then, criticizing a niche game that no one cares about seems like a funny way to go about that.

She probably got more harassment from people viewing this thread than she did followers from this message

Keeping up the image in order to satiate your followers is important too. Niche games are perfect for this situation.

White Man

I'm in the first mission of the second operation and I can't figure out what to do. I'm on top of a building, and judging by batteries (or some other collectible) in the air, I'm supposed to bridge across to the next building, but it won't let me. I'm not sure what to do, and the game isn't really giving me any direction.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I'm in the first mission of the second operation and I can't figure out what to do. I'm on top of a building, and judging by batteries (or some other collectible) in the air, I'm supposed to bridge across to the next building, but it won't let me. I'm not sure what to do, and the game isn't really giving me any direction.

You're supposed to draw a bridge to the other building. Just draw a line across and move up and down along the edge of the building until it turns into a rainbow.

Also if you go back to the beginning of the level at that point, you'll be able to find a secret portal

Fandangox

Unite Glider.

I am pretty sure there is a prompt on the left telling you to use it.

Edit: Retro_ might be right. If it is a line of batteries that means you should just send a line of heroes over there and create a bridge.

White Man

I'll try glider when I get home. I tried doing a bridge for a while last night.

edit: That said, I don't think I've used or learned a glider yet.

Top Bottom