• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is The Wonderful 101 the most voluminous and varied action game ever? I said WOW!

Played the demo for a few minutes and didn't think much of it. Will try it again based on this thread. It's amazing how much love this game gets.

Neiteio

Just did Chapter 7, perhaps my favorite yet!
Inside Vorkken's body
is such a brilliant setting, and using
Chewgi's weapon
to cleave through missiles (read:
bacteria
) is a lot of fun. 7-A has some excellent pacing, working your way across the various platforms in-between rematches with all of the mini-bosses up to that point. And then 7-B has the INCREDIBLE 360-degree dogfight that makes me really hope Kamiya is bluffing when he says he no longer wants to make a Star Fox game. Pivoting around, rolling out of harm's way and returning a hailstorm of firepower and missiles before zooming in close to punch and slice away at the exoskeleton of the boss monstrosity was incredibly empowering. And then the twist when you leave that setting and finish the fight elsewhere, with the most crushing QTE yet (pun intended!) and the touching sendoff between enemies turned allies... Another excellent episode of TW101!

Yagharek

I flipped a nut in that volcano level (chapter 6)?

Boss fight that mimics (16 bit classic)
Punch Out?
Yes please.

Oh, wait...
I can hijack it?
(after the boss fight)

Punching robot dragons? Fuck yes!
(Escape sequence)

Seriously, this game is an ongoing overload of climax action. Just when you think it cant get any more over the top, it finds another box of nitrous.

I just discovered this anime recently and I have finished this game 2 month ago (the best platinum games according to me).

But now I can clearly say, this game has a lot
gurren lagann
vibes.

(the anime is in spoiler, because it can reveal something important).

What a wonderful game, thanks platinum!!!

There is no good reason this is selling at full price 2 months later. I still cant bring myself to buy it, even though I want it. If it doesnt go down soon, im just going to buy a used copy.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
glad to see this topic bumped: I'm still playing this great game, and I'm right at Mission 6.
I'm really, really loving the time spent on it, it's really charming, funny, challenging, satisfying...

Seik

Banned
There is no good reason this is selling at full price 2 months later. I still cant bring myself to buy it, even though I want it. If it doesnt go down soon, im just going to buy a used copy.

It probably won't go down imo, you'll be better buying a used copy, even if it's worth the 60$ in question.

Yes there is: it has more content than most games released in the last two months combined.

Bayonetta has more content than 90% of action games and it was £25 a week after launch. Welcome to a kamiya title

There's no good reason not to buy it at full price. I mean, look at the topic title.

I dont want to pay £35 for it. Boom, good reason. I choose what im willing to pay, not the other way round.

It probably won't go down imo, you'll be better buying a used copy, even if it's worth the 60$ in question.

Ive seen deals for £5 off. I can accept £25. Not a penny higher.

Gambit

Finished it last night!

It was incredible! It goes so much further than you could possibly imagine. Really, really great.

Of course I still hate some of the instant death QTEs, especially when I simply don't know what I am expected to do, but I guess that is a typical Platinum problem. (First play through is the tutorial, as they say)

Anyway, I think I rate it higher than Bayonetta even. It was that good.

You can clearly tell Platinum poured their heart into the game.

The cast of characters deserve their own tv-show. Their own toy-line. Their own Halloween costumes.

Sadly the IP has the fundamental problem of being very appealing to kids, but the gameplay being far too complex for them. Anyway, I hope Nintendo + Platinum do more with it in the future (Despite the low sales).

I don't know, maybe make "Wonderful 101 Skylanders" and market it as the next Pokemon. I'd buy all 101.

Joei

There's no good reason not to buy it at full price. I mean, look at the topic title.

I picked this up last week with the Target B2G1 free promo, only because I used the 30% off coupon with it. I paid 90$ for this, The Last of Us, and Batman Origins. I really just wanted those two and bought this because of the high praise it has received on here and some other sites.

I played some more today and it definitely was a little more enjoyable. I played through Op. 001. For a while I still had no clue what was going on. I kept dying against the one enemy with a shield and cannon, but I think because I wasn't doing the combat right. I also wasn't blocking because I didn't know that one morph was the block one, and I still have to get the timing down it. I also don't know how to multi-morph, even though it displayed that it was available to me. I don't know if I want to redo 001 and get some more practice in or just continue with the missions.

Seik

Banned
I picked this up last week with the Target B2G1 free promo, only because I used the 30% off coupon with it. I paid 90$ for this, The Last of Us, and Batman Origins. I really just wanted those two and bought this because of the high praise it has received on here and some other sites.

I played some more today and it definitely was a little more enjoyable. I played through Op. 001. For a while I still had no clue what was going on. I kept dying against the one enemy with a shield and cannon, but I think because I wasn't doing the combat right. I also wasn't blocking because I didn't know that one morph was the block one, and I still have to get the timing down it. I don't know if I want to redo 001 and get some more practice in or just continue with the missions.

Continue with the missions, you'll get better, unlock more stuff and get more invested in the story at the same time.

It's no biggie if you get some bad ranks here and there anyway, you can redo anything.

Vaiim

I played some more today and it definitely was a little more enjoyable. I played through Op. 001. For a while I still had no clue what was going on. I kept dying against the one enemy with a shield and cannon, but I think because I wasn't doing the combat right. I also wasn't blocking because I didn't know that one morph was the block one, and I still have to get the timing down it. I also don't know how to multi-morph, even though it displayed that it was available to me. I don't know if I want to redo 001 and get some more practice in or just continue with the missions.

Blocking is the way to go vs those tanks. You can reflect their shots back at them and flip them over when they charge/jump on you.

trix21

Neo Member
I picked this up recently from a deal and blasted my way through it. I now think I should definitely have supported it earlier, it has so much charm and you really are challenged to make it all the way through the game. It's worth it for that super awesome fantastic totally amazing ending of epicness.

Hypron

Really? I thought you only lose a bit of energy if you fail a QTE.
Then again, I think I only failed like once in the entire game :p

No I can attest that some of them kill you instantly. Which is really annoying. I only failed a couple (mostly the "mash this button" ones, since if you start mashing the wrong button you're pretty much guaranteed to fail even if you correct your mistake).

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This will be remembered as one of the best action games ever. Until then I'm finishing my second playthrough.

Gambit

Really? I thought you only lose a bit of energy if you fail a QTE.
Then again, I think I only failed like once in the entire game :p

yes, there are. One very recent one I encountered (full game spoiler)
When you play Punch-Out with the Platinum-Robo, Gimme might shoot a laser. When he did, you have to keep pressing the A button rapdily to punch through the laser. At first, I didn't think it would require such quick, excessive pounding -> game over

At other times you have to draw shapes you've never done before. Those are irritating too, when under a time limit, but they only cost you energy.

No I can attest that some of them kill you instantly. Which is really annoying. I only failed a couple (mostly the "mash this button" ones, since if you start mashing the wrong button you're pretty much guaranteed to fail even if you correct your mistake).

Exactly

The whole "build a bridge across a gap" at the start of the game has to fuckin' go. I hit a wall there and simply couldn't make it stretch the entire way.

Although now I believe it has to don with how many charged batteries (??) one has to ensure the bridge can go far enough.

With that out of the way...LOVE this game.

Upon finally figuring out the "bridge the gap IQ test" the game has been spectacular.

Neff

Just did Chapter 7, perhaps my favorite yet!
Inside Vorkken's body
is such a brilliant setting, and using
Chewgi's weapon
to cleave through missiles (read:
bacteria
) is a lot of fun. 7-A has some excellent pacing, working your way across the various platforms in-between rematches with all of the mini-bosses up to that point. And then 7-B has the INCREDIBLE 360-degree dogfight that makes me really hope Kamiya is bluffing when he says he no longer wants to make a Star Fox game. Pivoting around, rolling out of harm's way and returning a hailstorm of firepower and missiles before zooming in close to punch and slice away at the exoskeleton of the boss monstrosity was incredibly empowering. And then the twist when you leave that setting and finish the fight elsewhere, with the most crushing QTE yet (pun intended!) and the touching sendoff between enemies turned allies... Another excellent episode of TW101!

Some folks dislike this level, but I loved it. P-Star's time in the spotlight is one of my favourite moments in the game. PG nailed that Star Fox feel, bettered it, maybe.

I dont want to pay £35 for it.

Then don't.

Neiteio

Some folks dislike this level, but I loved it. P-Star's time in the spotlight is one of my favourite moments in the game. PG nailed that Star Fox feel, bettered it, maybe.
People disliked Chapter 7?? The first level conveniently puts every awesome miniboss in one level with platforming in-between that requires nearly all of your powers (I especially like the big bulls-eye targets you shoot to collapse), and whirling through the air with the double-bladed staff to cleave a course through the bacteria is sogood.gif. Due to its all-in-one nature and creative setting, I see myself revisiting 7-A for fun in the future. And then 7-B is just straight-up exhilarating from start to finish. What an amazing boss battle, attacking the enemy from afar and up close, pummeling him from all angles when you're not dodging and returning fire from a distance. So good. SO GOOD!

Proven

People disliked Chapter 7?? The first level conveniently puts every awesome miniboss in one level with platforming in-between that requires nearly all of your powers (I especially like the big bulls-eye targets you shoot to collapse), and whirling through the air with the double-bladed staff to cleave a course through the bacteria is sogood.gif. Due to its all-in-one nature and creative setting, I see myself revisiting 7-A for fun in the future. And then 7-B is just straight-up exhilarating from start to finish. What an amazing boss battle, attacking the enemy from afar and up close, pummeling him from all angles when you're not dodging and returning fire from a distance. So good. SO GOOD!

People dislike it because of how small your team is at the beginning. Either you have to remember a feature of the system or you play the level hard mode style.

Neff

Yes there's quite a few folks in the original thread who got scuppered by 7's bacteria drills (max size
Chewgi blade
destroys all), and some complained of the length.

And it's true, it's very unforgiving at the beginning if you're not careful. The slightest mistake can inflict misery.

Frodo

Yes there's quite a few folks in the original thread who got scuppered by 7's bacteria drills (max size
Chewgi blade

And it's true, it's very unforgiving at the beginning if you're not careful. The slightest mistake can inflict misery.

Chapter 7 is not my favourite, but I quite enjoyed it. And I also thought it was very short. Go figure...

Neiteio

Chewgi blade

I can see how the bacteria is frustrating at first, and I still get butchered by them from time to time. All it takes is one slip-up! But the penalty for falling is minimal, and once you realize you can whirl through the air using Chewgi's blade, it becomes like a wire-fu action movie, and you're blitzing bacteria with the best of 'em.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
You're not at the end, so you really have no idea. No idea.

But yeah, in terms of content, production, and sense of journey as well as scale, The Wonderful 101 is easily one of the most comprehensive and "complete" games I've played probably since Resident Evil 4. It's easily one of the most diverse and ambitious projects in the character action game genre, and certainly Platinum's biggest undertaking.

That being said, could this game go down as one of the most underrated games since Condemned?

Mesoian

I wish the camera in this game as shifted another 10 or 15 degrees up. I feel like I lose so much prospective due to the position and angle of the camera.

Other than that, this game is fucking incredible. Dat final sequence...mah god. I was on my feet, mashing, yelling "GIGATOOOOOOOOONS" at the screen.

Oh yeah, chapter 7 is a big bag of dicks. Just...not fun. Besides those two things, amazing game.

Andrew.

Banned
I got to Operation 3 last night and felt proud of myself and my accomplishment.

Im already savoring the tiny bit of breathing room they give you in between battles. Hell, even the fighting the regular enemies in this feels like some mini epic boss fight. Its crazy.

Neff

Other than that, this game is fucking incredible. Dat final sequence...mah god. I was on my feet, mashing, yelling "GIGATOOOOOOOOONS" at the screen.

I've beaten it like 20 times now, and every single time, I don't know how, that scene has me losing my shit.

It's as if the human capacity for storing information simply cannot process such an event horizon moment of demented excess, and I forget how brain-bendingly insane it is and experience it fresh all over again.

Every single fucking time.

Bayonetta has more content than 90% of action games and it was £25 a week after launch. Welcome to a kamiya title

I dont want to pay £35 for it. Boom, good reason. I choose what im willing to pay, not the other way round.

You could have had it for £26 on Zavvi a few days ago if you used one of the 20% off codes people were throwing away.

Wonderful101 hasn't dropped in price because they printed a reasonable amount of copies to what it was likely to sell, wheras bayonetta had a bajillion made.

synce

This and Mighty Switch Force are the two games responsible for keeping the WiiU in the back of my mind,,, One day when the price is right!

Fandangox

Man I want to play the game again, but have no access to most of my stuff, game consoles included.

Its great how replaying this game you keep learning or getting used to new tactics, it wasn't until my third play through that I got comfortable with holding down L while drawing the morphs.

Mesoian

You guys talk about this game how some people talk about gurren lagann(anime).

No lie, I described this game to my friend as Pikman + Gurren Lagann + Diebuster.

It's fucking amazing.

Man I want to play the game again, but have no access to most of my stuff, game consoles included.

Its great how replaying this game you keep learning or getting used to new tactics, it wasn't until my third play through that I got comfortable with holding down L while drawing the morphs.

Why would you hold down L? That just puts you into jelly mode.

No lie, I described this game to my friend as Pikman + Gurren Lagann + Diebuster.

It's fucking amazing.

Why would you hold down L? That just puts you into jelly mode.

He means the Left stick button. It greatly increases the speed of the Wonder Liner.

Andrew.

Banned
I thought jumping back into this after 3D World would be tough, but I kicked fucking ass and it felt GOOD.

I made it to 4C but then immediately started OP4 over again because not only is that where everything finally clicked for me, but it's also where the pacing in this game skyrocketed for me. Traveling around in that underwater base and the music, my god. It's just so great to watch this game unfold and throw all these curveballs at you

No better feeling than whooping ass so hard and watching that Trivial Pursuit pie chart health deplete super fast.

Top Bottom