• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the world ready for $800-$900 consoles?

Would you pay $800-$900 for an enhanced console?

• Total voters

REDRZA MWS

Yes. Said it before say it again. A consile you are getting minimum 6-7 years of entertainment. A smart phone which many upgrade every year or two are well over 1k. If they make a powerful launch console id have no problem with 800.

No, what I mean is that if the power leap between PS5 > PS5 Pro is BIGGER than PS4 > PS4 Pro, that price point would kind of make sense, at least.
Nah, I doubt it will be. The only reason I listed it as $500 was because I am assuming the $500 regular PS5 is being phased out but the PS5 Digital stays. However, what could happen is the PS5 Digital could go down to $299 with PS5 Pro at $399 since its already past a 4 year mark or so. I am just speculating.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yes. Said it before say it again. A consile you are getting minimum 6-7 years of entertainment. A smart phone which many upgrade every year or two are well over 1k. If they make a powerful launch console id have no problem with 800.
If it was a solid upgrade, I'd bite. But if not, I wont.

I agree with what you say, but console have a very decades long stodgy image to them from gamers. Even just getting gamers to break past the $400 barrier was a chore. Consoles were regularly priced around $200 way back, trended up to $300-400 during the 360/PS3 days (excluding the first few PS3 years of sky high prices), Xbox One/PS4 were $400 (excluding kinect version at $500). Now PS5/X are $500 (excluding the discless PS5 edition).

Have things trended up? Ya.

But small potatoes vs other gadgets. Even just a $100 console price hike is like the apocalypse. Yet, the same person probably has no problem spending it on better TVs, phones, fancy kitchen appliances etc.... If $100 is such a make or breaker, just dont eat fast food or Starbucks for a month and there's the $100.

I just saw buddies on the weekend at a pub and spent $40. All I got to do is dont pub it 2-3 times over a 7 year console generation and there's the $100.

Top Bottom