• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the world ready for $800-$900 consoles?

Would you pay $800-$900 for an enhanced console?

• Total voters

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Cracking Up Lol GIF

Exactly there are a lot of people out there that even spending $1000 on a console doesn't fall in the outrageously priced category

I have a nice PC but wont play shooters on PC because of how much worse cheaters are

If Sony/MS want to offer a premium console at a premium price I am all in

Watch this video on how bad cheating is on PC

I know. That's why I stopped playing bf5. There was a cheater or two every evening... ruing a match.
But in order for system to be secure, it needs to be closed. it needs to be a console and people can't stop asking for console to become a pc. The most infuriating request in my opinon

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
While i would pay this amount- i dont agree with this if you are trying to penetrate households. Pretty much torpedoes a normal kids chance at this.
Im an adult.
But these premium consoles would be targeted at adults with disposable income and not kids unless mommy has a lot of extra money laying around, these PS5 and Series X is still here for those that can't/wont pay that price

I know. That's why I stopped playing bf5. There was a cheater or two every evening... ruing a match.
But in order for system to be secure, it needs to be closed. it needs to be a console and people can't stop asking for console to become a pc. The most infuriating request in my opinon
Exactly though why people like myself would pay for a premium console to get a higher end experience and play in a closed system

Take Hell Let Loose for example.

I mainly play it on my PS5 but wow does it struggle at times and certain maps but on my PC its almost like a different game but I tend to avoid the PC version because of said cheaters

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Restaurant menu
  1. Plain burger with fries $20
  2. Rack of ribs with two sides $40
  3. Steak with three sides $60

Bob: I'm going to get the ribs
Jenny: I'm going to get the steak
Brad: I want everyone to buy the burger like I am

Can you pick out the console gamer who doesn't want higher spec options?

Azurro

Banned
No, you can't get to that price point without very small increments. A PS5 PRO wouldn't launch at more than 550 Euro, maybe you can hide a price hike with the detachable bluray disc drive.

Bond007

But these premium consoles would be targeted at adults with disposable income and not kids unless mommy has a lot of extra money laying around, these PS5 and Series X is still here for those that can't/wont pay that price

I mean i guess- but then you have a split user base with varying level of quality in games. I mean we complain about the transition from PS4 to PS5. Imagine two different SKUS that are worlds apart.

Fredrik

Nearly there already. PS5 disc edition goes for $700 in my country. A 4090 goes for $2500. iPhone 14 is $1200$+.

cireza

Banned
It depends. What is the reason of the higher price ?

If it is simply to put more powerful components and follow the exact same philosophy as now, then no thanks I am not interested. We will get the exact same unreliable, hardly repairable consoles that were designed for you to buy another one a few years later.

If it is to offer a reliable product, that will last 20 years, will be supported and easily repairable, more respectful of people and environment, then why not.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I mean i guess- but then you have a split user base with varying level of quality in games. I mean we complain about the transition from PS4 to PS5. Imagine two different SKUS that are worlds apart.
Once we started cross gen and cross platform playing we were already divided

Heck I would argue just playing online we began getting divided when some are forced to play on shit connections and some of us have 3 gig fiber

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Nearly there already. PS5 disc edition goes for $700 in my country. A 4090 goes for $2500. iPhone 14 is $1200$+.
I am afraid, while it is still away, the yearly 1200$ consoles might be a thing...
I know people say it won't matter and you dont have to buy it... but it's not how it works. At this point, it would be a bad pc. And devs need a good target. not everchanging one.

I don't want to be feeling left behind because a new console comes out every 6 months lol. I know this is pessimistic but I feel this would happen.
I just like the comfort food of 500-600$ console that lasts years. Slims and other revisions are perfectly fine but tons of midgens would not be....

A ton of gamers are middle aged with more disposable cash than they know what to do with. I think as gamers mature prices will rise.

Also
The $ isn’t worth much these days anyway…

Fredrik

I am afraid, while it is still away, the yearly 1200$ consoles might be a thing...
I know people say it won't matter and you dont have to buy it... but it's not how it works. At this point, it would be a bad pc. And devs need a good target. not everchanging one.

I don't want to be feeling left behind because a new console comes out every 6 months lol. I know this is pessimistic but I feel this would happen.
I just like the comfort food of 500-600$ console that lasts years. Slims and other revisions are perfectly fine but tons of midgens would not be....
I absolutely hate the mid gen refresh consoles, FOMO is ruining everything for me.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
That's why it's a brilliant idea! The console would be a massive seller, although I'm sure it would also plunge Sony into financial ruin............but a 4090 in a console!

Unlucky AMD doesnt have any chips that are 4090 class, so we will have to wait for their next refresh at which point the 4090 will be a mid tier card.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Gamers are split across last gen and next gen consoles like every generation. So who cares? And that gap will be a lot bigger than next gen vs. next gen pro.

I bought a new Samsung sound bar last year. There's better models out there. And Samsung probably released even more models since I bought mine. Why would I care, and expect Samsung to only sell to everyone else the same sound bar for 7 years until I'm ready to buy another in the year 2029?

Last edited:

SolidQ

Sony can just make 2 models
400$ models, and 800$ slightly faster CPU and double perfomance with GPU, rest is same like 400$ model.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
fuck that.
Why people demanding these multiple tier priced consoles, just get a pc ?! Why ruin console market if you want to badly spend money
Yeah! Two skus one normal and one premium! Fuck that ! is too much for us console plebes to think, choose and handle! Go and buy a pc where you are going to spend double or tripple of 800 dollars... have to choose and build from dozens of parts, keep downloading multiple drivers and maybe waiting one year to play games from sony...

There is a stupid argument.. in there is this .. another level

Bond007

Gamers are split across last gen and next gen consoles like every generation. So who cares? And that gap will be a lot bigger than next gen vs. next gen pro.

I bought a new Samsung sound bar last year. There's better models out there. And Samsung probably released even more models since I bought mine. Why would I care, and expect Samsung to only sell to everyone else the same sound bar for 7 years until I'm ready to buy another in the year 2029?

A sound bar is very different than a console that runs specific software across the board. I however understand what you are trying to get at..

Kataploom

Gold Member
Psychologically? Yes, games are well valued today, many people can justify that expense easily in the first world... Economically? Hmmm I don't think so, specially in the third world.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
The world sure is. Is the console producer ready?

Paying $800-$900 is still much cheaper than spending that much on a computer videocard and then also having to buy the rest of the system.

Those much cheaper $800-$900 can do everything (or more) for gaming than that computer videocard + the rest of the system can?

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah! Two skus one normal and one premium! Fuck that ! is too much for us console plebes to think, choose and handle! Go and buy a pc where you are going to spend double or tripple of 800 dollars... have to choose and build from dozens of parts, keep downloading multiple drivers and maybe waiting one year to play games from sony...

There is a stupid argument.. in there is this .. another level
Confused The Point GIF by Travis

Griffon

A console with a closed ecosystem and overpriced games? No.

A PC-like device that I'm free to do with whatever I wish and plenty of competing stores? Yup.

I bought the Steam Deck for a higher price than a PS5 without any hesitation.

Last edited:

Tg89

I think there's a market, it might be too small to justify though.

How many people are willing to spend $900 on a console but not the extra amount to get a PC?

In a world where consoles were still very much differentiating themselves from PC it might do better, but there's too much redundancy between the two now.

Leonidas

The typical console gamer is not willing to spend $800 on a console.

And with consoles being based on AMD hardware, an $800 console likely would only have the performance of something like a 3080/6800 XT, since AMD's new architecture requires too much power for a console to deliver top tier performance. Wouldn't be a big enough jump to justify nearly 2x the price, for most people...

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Defeats the entire purpose of a console. If you want the high tier, build a PC.

And yes, I saw your comment about GPUs. But if you’re going to drop $900 on a console you might go further and build the platform that plays far more than what a console can.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The typical console gamer is not willing to spend $800 on a console.

And with consoles being based on AMD hardware, an $800 console likely would only have the performance of something like a 3080. Wouldn't be a big enough jump to justify nearly 2x the price, for most people...
Most ofus would spend that much but none of my coworkers wuld

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think there's a market, it might be too small to justify though.

How many people are willing to spend $900 on a console but not the extra amount to get a PC?

In a world where consoles were still very much differentiating themselves from PC it might do better, but there's too much redundancy between the two now.
If I had to choose between a good console midgen upgrade at $1000 cdn vs. a good gaming laptop (I only buy laptops. I havent had a tower in over 15 years), I'd choose still choose the console. A good gaming laptop looks like it costs $2000.

$600 is the tipping point for most of the mass market. Anything over this price and you might as well go all-in on performance and build a capable PC.

if it's premium enough, sure.

but all the revisions/versions (pro, super pro, slim, super slim) makes me second guess buying any console. that's part of why i dont have a ps5 yet.
i want to buy the "best" version and be done with it.

Brigandier

The vast majority of console users brains would explode at them kinda prices even if any box from any manufacturer had full backwards compatibility and the hardware was cutting edge and technically great value for money.

Me personally I'd ejaculate all over my own face if Sony offered a PS6 that offered a latest or custom design of a latest release CPU/GPU combo into a well designed chassis that's cool and quiet that plays PS1-6 games or at least offered the full libraries on the store.

Never gonna happen though.

Why do people think these consoles will cost $800-900? The whole point of consoles are for them to be affordable. They are not PCs.

PS4 Pro came out 3 years later after PS4 and was launched at $399 which was the same price that PS4 launched at in 2013. This means the PS5 Pro will cost $500 and most likely will be digital only to save on the production costs. PS5 Physical will probably be phased slowly over time. The PS5 Digital and PS5 Pro will respectively cost $400 and $500. How is it a hard concept to grasp? Then in 2028 or 2029 PS6 will come out and cost $500 or whatever.

Where do people get these stupid high numbers from? No console will ever cost $800 to $900 lol.

The vast majority of console users brains would explode at them kinda prices even if any box from any manufacturer had full backwards compatibility and the hardware was cutting edge and technically great value for money.

Me personally I'd ejaculate all over my own face if Sony offered a PS6 that offered a latest or custom design of a latest release CPU/GPU combo into a well designed chassis that's cool and quiet that plays PS1-6 games or at least offered the full libraries on the store.

Never gonna happen though.
include real ps1 - ps3 hardware and a modular video output section.... id pay $2k.

Top Bottom