• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there a beekeeper in the house?

Just discovered a rather sizable honeybee hive in my backyard, I can't believe I never noticed it before. It's just chillin in a tree, probably has a few thousand bees, my lawn guy pointed it out to me.
Why he hasn't before now I dunno. I've been here for two years and the hive is probably around that old.
I love bees and I love honey, but i don't want a massive hive ten feet out my porch door.
I've got a local honey producer that I'm gonna call when they open at noon, I'd like to relocate the lil buggers if I can, maybe they'll even offer me some dough for em!

Mistake

I'd have to argue that you might do more harm than good. Honeybees don't really bother people, and they will help your flowers, vegetables, and trees if you own land. Unless they become a problem for the house itself, I'd leave it

Last edited:

DESTROYA

If you haven’t noticed them for 2 years what’s the problem ?
You will more than likely do more harm trying to relocate the hive or destroy it , they are extremely beneficial insects so if there not bugging you don’t bug them.
Leave them alone and at peace and let them do what honeybees do.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Make sure they ARE bees if they aren't torch em.

bender

What time is it?
fa1ccae57663723e6667acd05fb3f210.gif

DogofWar

Had they been hornets or wasps you would have noticed them a long time ago (and preferably killed them with fire). Bees aren't troublesome for people as long as we leave them alone, and wild bees are rarer and rarer. If anything I would plant flowers and fruit bushes with flowers all around my house if I had the luxury of a beehive close by. (I think I have since I see bees every summer but am yet to locate it).

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Just discovered a rather sizable honeybee hive in my backyard, I can't believe I never noticed it before. It's just chillin in a tree, probably has a few thousand bees, my lawn guy pointed it out to me.
Why he hasn't before now I dunno. I've been here for two years and the hive is probably around that old.
I love bees and I love honey, but i don't want a massive hive ten feet out my porch door.
I've got a local honey producer that I'm gonna call when they open at noon, I'd like to relocate the lil buggers if I can, maybe they'll even offer me some dough for em!

In my experience, any beekeeper you call will want to remove the hive themselves. Speaking of old hives, my childhood friend had one kind of high up in a tree in his backyard for two or three years until someone pointed out what it was. As long as you leave the bees alone it's easy to forget it's even there.

Maybe the guy never pointed it out cause he thinks you're a Nancy and knew you would spaz out about it?

??

I ain't spazzing out over it, I think it's neat. My kids aren't gonna mess with it. my main concern is that it is pretty close to the house, about 10 feet away, and I've seen the photos of hives that get in attics/walls.
Ideally I'd like to relocate the hive, so I'm seeing if I can do that first.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
??

I ain't spazzing out over it, I think it's neat. My kids aren't gonna mess with it. my main concern is that it is pretty close to the house, about 10 feet away, and I've seen the photos of hives that get in attics/walls.
Well you never mentioned children before and yeah I can understand your concerns if they're really close to your home.
I wouldn't consult any kind of government agency because with the whole honey bee population declining rapidly thing they'll likely tell you you're required by law to leave it be as is. Seems like it would be difficult to relocate with it being in a tree but perhaps a beekeeper could come up with something.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't want to be dismissive, but like others have said, for 2 years they haven't bothered you, why should you expect them to. Outside of, it falling down during a wind storm...

Get someone to remove them. Bees can be very dangerous, dont do it yourself.
Sounds too close for comfort. Its understandable op.

nush

Gold Member
??

that's reasonable. I always save bees that sometimes fly into my home. Seriously they won't harm you but you need to take care of your kids who could mess with the bees and get stung. My home was in the path of swarming bees a couple of years ago, very quickly I had a lot of bees inside, but I closed all the windows and captured and released evey bee that was inside. They were not aggressive and I didn't get stung at all.

quickwhips

They have free companies that will come out and collect the queen and bees I believe. We did this at father in laws.

If you haven’t noticed them for 2 years what’s the problem ?
You will more than likely do more harm trying to relocate the hive or destroy it , they are extremely beneficial insects so if there not bugging you don’t bug them.
Leave them alone and at peace and let them do what honeybees do.
Very useful for Galaktobureko also.

I've got a guy coming to take a look tomorrow, hopefully he can give them a home. I don't mind paying a hundo or two to move the hive, but I've read it can cost up to 1K or more depending on bee/hive type and location.
If it's gonna be that expensive, I'm passing the buck on to the landlord who will doubtless drag his feet about it for the next 6 months.

Hnjohngalt

They make self contained backpack vaccums to suck up bees without killing them. Most times you get the queen and lose half the hive.

But once you prepare a bee box with fresh slides in it, you can transfer them to it and regrow the hive within a month or so.

I'm amazed none of them took up residence in your crib. I would have an experienced beekeeper handle it by allowing him to remove it and harvest their honey as payment.

Top Bottom