• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there a modern game like Max Payne?

Ezquimacore

Banned
The Max Payne remakes we're announced and I had to play them for again for a million times. I was playing a mod for MP2, really entertaining btw.

And I came to the realization, it has been a long time since a I played a high quality pure action game like Max Payne. Uncharted and tomb raider don't count, I'm talking about action movie type of game. Is there an AAA, AA, indie or obscure game that has that "Max Payne feeling"

Wildebeest

Maybe Space Marine 2 will be good. Honestly, I feel the fad for "cover systems" took a huge dump on third-person shooters. Hiding behind convenient chest high walls and taking pot shots is boring. If you want something with more aggressive gameplay, try Ghostrunner.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

Vanquish, Control, Quantum Break is probably the closest it gets. Maybe Alan Wake to some degree or even the Mafia remake although the latter is much more slow paced.

Also The Darkness (part two is also on PC), although it's first person.
Not gonna let anyone else fall for the Vanquish being good meme, the Darkness 2 is very good though.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Not gonna let anyone else fall for the Vanquish being good meme, the Darkness 2 is very good though.
arrested-development-eye-roll.gif

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Not exactly "modern" but there are some other 3rd person which tried to get some of that MP hype like

El Matador (2006)
Total Overdose (2005)
Wet (2009)
Stranglehold (2007)
These are good calls.

And yeah I think genre conventions have veered pretty far from Max Payne. Gears of War ended up being super influential in the seventh generation, almost a defining style of that era, but then also falling really hard put of fashion in the eight gen as more open world and free form designs became the trend. So we're sort of twice removed from Max Payne type stuff now.

Kuranghi

Quantum Break and Control are closest but only the former has sloooo-mooo.

Quantum Break is great, play that.

Stupid question maybe, have you played Max Payne 3? If you can handle the tone change (from Noir to Michael Mann films) it's an amazing game.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
No-one really makes balls to the wall 3rd person shooters anymore, mainly because you cant make a 30+ hour game that is nearly constant action, you need a bunch of traversal from point A to B to pad it out to that length. 1st person still exists but it's almost universally retro or based on old FPS IP's.

intbal

Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard

Uh, I wouldn't put it in the category of "high quality", but since it's a parody of Max Payne/Duke Nukem, it sort of fits OP request.

MiguelItUp

People are recommending some great games, but a lot of them aren't really "modern" per se. I honestly haven't played a TPS that gave me Payne vibes in a long, long time. Control, while made by the same devs, didn't really have that same captivating gunplay IMO. I mean, it felt kind of good, but not nearly AS good. I also lost steam on it and didn't complete it, which sucks.

While an FPS, I'd probably go with Severed Steel, because with the bullet time and gun play there were moments that gave me that same feeling that Payne did. Though not entirely the same.

I cannot wait for the remakes, and man, I hope they deliver.

_Ex_

Guilty_AI

Its first person, but this one maybe? Has some really good gunplay against mainly human enemies. Also has a bullet time of sorts though it isn't a primary mechanic.

El Muerto

Kane and Lynch. The games werent received well but damn where they a lot of fun. 2nd one gives off Max Payne vibes imo. Cant think of anything that hasnt been mentioned yet. If you want Max Payne gameplay then emulate Total Overdose on PS2, and the sequel Chili Con Carnage on PSP.

Havoc2049

The Dead to Rights series. It has the neo-noir vibe with the slow motion bullet time gunplay. It also throws a K9 companion into the mix.

-Dead to Rights (XB, PS2, GC, PC)
-Dead to Rights II (XB, PS2, PC)
-Dead to Rights: Reckoning (PSP)
-Dead to Rights: Retribution (XB, PS3)

For a modern solution, the original XB version of Dead to Rights can be played on the Xbox One X and Series S/X at 4k and 60 FPS. You can buy a digital copy or even play the OG disk version.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The Max Payne remakes we're announced and I had to play them for again for a million times. I was playing a mod for MP2, really entertaining btw.

And I came to the realization, it has been a long time since a I played a high quality pure action game like Max Payne. Uncharted and tomb raider don't count, I'm talking about action movie type of game. Is there an AAA, AA, indie or obscure game that has that "Max Payne feeling"

Have you played Control? The atmosphere has Max Payne's DNA for sure. Very Cryptic, foreboding, slightly occult...

If you're talking about bullet time type games...welp there's Quantum Break, though the game is really too wholesome for my taste. I prefer Remedy when they are really taking on dark subject matters. Even Max Payne 3 didn't really do it for me. the original is still GOAT in my opinion.

Pejo

Not really ultra modern, but more modern than MP2, you have Vanquish.

platinum-games-vanquish.gif

4fQ1WVJ.gif

CoordinatedUnrealisticFox-size_restricted.gif

PBwrXXO.gif

It's hard to find gifs that aren't just the sliding into the slow motion but you can play it all sorts of ways, like a traditional cover based TPS, or like this, or like:

CamHostage

Weird West (2022)

It literally has slowmo leap dodging from Max Payne.

Heh, yeah, unintended point there... the OP did not clarify what he meant by "Max Payne feeling", maybe all along we should have been thinking the GBA version of the game?

There's actually a lot of Max Payne influence in 2.5D or top-down or side-scrolling gaming, like My Friend Pedro or Hong Kong Massacre. It's not exactly the same, but for some reason the Max Payne clones died out (maybe, as somebody said, because of the Gears influence) yet the Max Payne mechanics live on in other unexpected areas.

Top Bottom